Matt Taven (aka Sonic gets it correct 3 years in advance)

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Brada

Re: Matt Taven

Post by Brada »

I could live with the occasional Taven upper card match, even filled with him finding a chance to say Melvin every 45 seconds for 15 minutes, if it was to show Vinny Lasagna the door.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Brada wrote:I could live with the occasional Taven upper card match, even filled with him finding a chance to say Melvin every 45 seconds for 15 minutes, if it was to show Vinny Lasagna the door.
Yeah, Vinny is kind of like the company’s linear continuation of stupidity that was rerouted after everyone in EVIL 2.0 left.

Reincarnation of the Purple Reign? Uncle Taven made me leave my wife and kids? He had to paint over his fingernails? Accept who you are, Vinny Loocan (Lasagn)?
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Get in the thread loser we're praising MATT TAVEN
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Another one for the Supersonic is Right folder:

https://twitter.com/voiceswrestling/sta ... 23712?s=20
Said it at the time and I stand by it. Matt Taven winning the world title at MSG instead of Marty Scurll is an all-time booking disaster. It was the last and only way to get The Elite fans onboard. -Rich
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Jay Lethal's Hair wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:18 pm Taven is one of the few legit heels in the company (Cole and the Bucks certainly are not) when it comes to drawing heat.
And unlike them, he's proven to be incapable of drawing buzz and money.
BurningHammer

Re: Matt Taven (aka Sonic gets it correct 3 years in advance)

Post by BurningHammer »

If you want the Elite fans on board, ROH doesn't and that's a good thing. Whether he wasn't or draw or not it was the right way to go.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

BurningHammer wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:06 am If you want the Elite fans on board, ROH doesn't and that's a good thing. Whether he wasn't or draw or not it was the right way to go.
ROH wants those fans, but is too pussy and uncreative to try to make something out of a huge Scurll push, unlike how Sapolsky was with Punk.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

A huge Scurll push was never bringing those fans back. The moment AEW was formed those fans were gone. If Scurll wins at MSG and you try a summer of Punk angle those same Elite fans are still going to cheer Marty and root for him to take the belt to Jacksonville. The only way to bring those fans back and attract new fans is putting on great shows. Strong stories that lead to exciting matches.

Honestly I think Taven had done a good job with what he has been given. The only bad title defense was Cobb on PPV. If they can tell the same story in that match but over 20-25 minutes instead of 8 them they would have had a great outing.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

kovs27 wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:59 pm A huge Scurll push was never bringing those fans back. The moment AEW was formed those fans were gone. If Scurll wins at MSG and you try a summer of Punk angle those same Elite fans are still going to cheer Marty and root for him to take the belt to Jacksonville.
And those fans would pay money for the privilege of rooting on the rebellious champ as he threatens to hold the belt hostage.

Imagine if the Raptors decided to dial back on using Kawhi Leonard just because he wouldn’t commit to staying, rather than let him be the championship leader while they had him.
The only way to bring those fans back and attract new fans is putting on great shows. Strong stories that lead to exciting matches.
Everyone has “great shows” nowadays and they often don’t draw huge gates anymore. I’ve no faith the current ROH regime can have epic, long-form stories anymore like Steen vs. Generico or Jacobs vs. Whitmer.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

supersonic wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:18 pm
BurningHammer wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:06 am If you want the Elite fans on board, ROH doesn't and that's a good thing. Whether he wasn't or draw or not it was the right way to go.
ROH wants those fans, but is too pussy and uncreative to try to make something out of a huge Scurll push, unlike how Sapolsky was with Punk.
I think they would want the numbers for sure, do I think they want those fans and what they in particular no, personally I wouldn’t as well, it’s a false economy for your product. LA you are really doing is becoming a secondary source of promotion for another company and that isn’t healthy business for ROH look what happened to Evolve trying a similar idea in the end they just became part of an ever growing feeder league. ROH should strive to be better or at least different and that’s what they are trying now, Taven was the biggest example of that did it work, no, on many levels but it did show that Taven has a very good level and if he drops down to mid-card upper-card thats fine at least ROH has a very good talent in that pool. For ROH now it’s about finding those guys that people are connected to that they feel they can push as their own too, that takes work from all levels.

Storyline wise things have been better, not Gabe level, but better than most. It’s about adding those little details that make things good, great and I’ve noticed them way more now than ever.
Montana

Post by Montana »

supersonic wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:48 pm
kovs27 wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:59 pm A huge Scurll push was never bringing those fans back. The moment AEW was formed those fans were gone. If Scurll wins at MSG and you try a summer of Punk angle those same Elite fans are still going to cheer Marty and root for him to take the belt to Jacksonville.
And those fans would pay money for the privilege of rooting on the rebellious champ as he threatens to hold the belt hostage.

Imagine if the Raptors decided to dial back on using Kawhi Leonard just because he wouldn’t commit to staying, rather than let him be the championship leader while they had him.
The only way to bring those fans back and attract new fans is putting on great shows. Strong stories that lead to exciting matches.
Everyone has “great shows” nowadays and they often don’t draw huge gates anymore. I’ve no faith the current ROH regime can have epic, long-form stories anymore like Steen vs. Generico or Jacobs vs. Whitmer.
Wasn't going to write in this thread... but couldn't hold my tongue after the Kawhi comment.

- It's more than just Taven responsible for the status of ROH currently.

- The same people that said ROH should have pushed more "new" ROH home grown stars in 2016-18 are the same one's saying to put the belt on Marty?!?! (Not saying you supersonic)

- The Kawhi and Marty situation couldn't be more different. Basketball is a sport, where as wrestling is pre-determined. ROH is not competing with 30 teams for a championship. it's kind of like a product vs. performance. I don't choose what wrestling product i like by who holds their world championship. Is 6 months of some short success, worth it to hurt your long run. The raptors also DID dial back with Kawhi, and let him rest a crazy amount of days... and how good will the raptors be this year?? What did the Raptors get for Kawhi?? It would be more like the Pistons investing in a superstar like Blake Griffin, when in reality they should be rebuilding with new/young talent.

( I look at it more like you own a business with 20 employee's....we'll say it's a restaurant or whatever... the manager is your champ in this scenario... your best choice for manager is someone who's leaving in 3-4 months, and you have some other folks with potential, who can help grow your business long term. In a perfect world you'd have that experienced help the folks with potential...but long story short as a business owner, you'd it would be more difficult to train two managers.... upset the loyal employee's for someone who is not committing to the business. Like burning Hammer said, it was the best move for business at the time)

- You know.... If Marty won, as soon as he bolted, the same fans would be complaining saying that was a dumb move by ROH to further elevate Marty up the card, only to leave.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

supersonic wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:48 pm

And for a couple months you have fans openly rooting against ROH at their shows for Marty to take the title to TNT and trash it. Then come October ROH is right back in the same predicament with even less people attending their shows.

Listen, I do agree with your second point. The current ROH regime has ran it's course. I don't think anyone one person should be booking for as long as Delirious has. Anyone would suffer burnout by now. But without long-form stories and personal animosity built up between several characters over a long term period, what would attract new audience? If ROH leadership can't figure that out then this is a hole that they won't be able to dig out from. They need to find a fresh mind who can tell these stories with enough call backs to ROH history to bring fans back while creating new ones.