Matt Taven (aka Sonic gets it correct 3 years in advance)

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
supersonic

Matt Taven (aka Sonic gets it correct 3 years in advance)

Post by supersonic »

Anyone else still baffled why he hasn't been tossed aside yet? He reminds me of the types of nothing special, dime-a-dozen scrubs erroneously marked as a future star in low-rent eras such as dying ECW, early TNA, and mid-2000s OVW/WWECW. Justin Credible would be his mirror image match.
Last edited by supersonic on Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Big Red Machine

Re: Matt Taven

Post by Big Red Machine »

I pretty much share your thoughts. He's fine to keep around as an undercard guy, but he's not worth anything more than that.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

I think he is good as an undercard/middle card guy, he's good on the mic and he knows his character and where it should be going. As a wrestler he seemed to finding a good groove before his injury, it will be interesting to see how his in ring work will be affected. I would much rather see him than Cheeseburger, Ken Phoenix etc.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Taven’s spare appearances this year have all been well-received. He is producing good, non-scripted promos and the Kingdom-from-Taven’s-image is one of ROH’s most interesting potential stories.

This will be his first independent heel run and I’m curious to see if this is a breakout role for him. If there were ever a time to pull the carpet from him, I definitely wouldn’t do it now.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Plus, he already has a great dynamic with Riccaboni on interviews. Whether done intentionally or not, Taven calling him “Ricky Itchaboni” was great!
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

He's really good. I thought it was clear he was the more valuable half of the Bennett/Taven team.
HonorLives

Post by HonorLives »

I think he's okay in the ring and pretty good on the mic, but I'm not into the "New Kingdom" angle. I mean, at all.
Saxton_fan

Post by Saxton_fan »

Taven will be a huge star. Maybe not an amazing wrestler , but he can talk and has a decent look.
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

I liked when he was on commentary this weekend during the 4CS, and Whitmer was saying weird things, and Taven went to whisper something to Kevin Kelly, but he did it very loudly, AND through a headset that Whitmer could also hear.

Also I'm excited for the new Kingdom reveal.

Also I'm excited for his CMLL debut.

I like Matt Taven.
Saxton_fan

Post by Saxton_fan »

TYFDK you are a good man!
project161

Post by project161 »

Taven has gotten a bad rep from certain portions of the internet. He works hard in the ring and does all of his stuff well. I don't think he is someone that should be in a main event level position for ROH, but he isn't bad. I do question just how much they use him this year with the fact that he is injured and why spend the money on him to just come in and sit? That being said, I have enjoyed some of his commentary this year particularly on the July Baltimore VOD and during the Cheeseburger trios match from the Philly March house show.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

Yeah Taven's commentary on TV this week was awesome.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

project161 wrote:I do question just how much they use him this year with the fact that he is injured and why spend the money on him to just come in and sit?
Basic human compassion?
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Taven worked a match with Rush recently in Arena Mexico. He looked awesome and is still doing his tope suicida as well as his frog splash.

DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

project161 wrote:Taven has gotten a bad rep from certain portions of the internet. He works hard in the ring and does all of his stuff well. I don't think he is someone that should be in a main event level position for ROH, but he isn't bad. I do question just how much they use him this year with the fact that he is injured and why spend the money on him to just come in and sit? That being said, I have enjoyed some of his commentary this year particularly on the July Baltimore VOD and during the Cheeseburger trios match from the Philly March house show.
Totally agree. I think Taven gets a bad rep because he was in The Kingdom and, subsequently, part of that awful feud with Michael Bennett against Anderson & Gallows last year in New Japan. I've always enjoyed Matt Taven. Am I clamoring for him to be in the Main Event? Hell no, but he's a very solid wrestler who's a good fit for the mid-card scene in ROH.

I would also agree that he commentary has been pretty enjoyable. I'm secretly hoping "Melvins" becomes more of a thing.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

One of the very few on a FB group that comes across as well-versed.
Matt Taven looking like a special needs Kenny Omega now. Not exactly optimistic about the new kingdom. It's giving me the feeling of when X-Pac was the leader of his own stable.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

Looking like Johnny Polo.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

supersonic wrote:One of the very few on a FB group that comes across as well-versed.
Matt Taven looking like a special needs Kenny Omega now. Not exactly optimistic about the new kingdom. It's giving me the feeling of when X-Pac was the leader of his own stable.
So hang on one person on FB after I don't know how many months ago agrees with you and this supposedly proves your point on Matt Taven, wow that really is something.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Matt Taven is being built up the right way. He doesn’t feel written or overproduced. His new aesthetic takes some pretty heavygoing inspirations, but his confidence makes things cohere.

I doubt he’s going to burn the MOTY rankings or really create buzz outside of the product. That doesn’t mean he will not breathe fresh life into ROH. The company needs more charismatic presences.
Brada

Post by Brada »

Matt Taven has always seemed like a Adam Cole starter kit to me with a lot less flash. Not saying that Taven doesn't have worth, because he does. I would just like to see him develop his own flash and personality.