Ever wonder why ROH was born with shitty commentary?

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
supersonic

Ever wonder why ROH was born with shitty commentary?

Post by supersonic »

famicommander

Re: Ever wonder why ROH was born with shitty commentary?

Post by famicommander »

Joey is my all-time favorite wrestling commentator, so it's a shame he didn't get the gig. They should hire him now.

Kevin Kelly and Nigel/Corino aren't the best commentary team by any stretch, but they beat the hell out of Mathews/Pope and all WWE commentators not named Mauro Ranallo. I like Striker and Vampiro for Lucha Underground, but I feel like they'd be much worse calling any other promotion. Striker has had some disasters commentating on NJPW and AAA.

I have no idea why TNA won't just go back to Mike Tenay. He wasn't the best but he was at least competent. Paragon has some truly awful commentary as well. And as far as I know he's still employed there, just collecting checks for doing nothing.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

famicommander wrote:
I have no idea why TNA won't just go back to Mike Tenay. He wasn't the best but he was at least competent.
Tenay was not CLOSE to competent. He would constantly get major details wrong or say completely stupid things. Plus, he has the weirdest syntax ever.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

This makes me SOOOOO sad. Who has ever been better at just calling the moves than Joey Styles? Joey would have been the PERFECT play-by-play man for ROH in any era.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Imagine Styles calling THE Dragon Gate trios and bringing back more memories of Michinoku Pro. Cage of Death. The Summer of Punk. Danielson vs. McGuinness. All the crazy shit from Homicide and Generation Next.
HonorLives

Post by HonorLives »

Good god.
Embracejg

Post by Embracejg »

I would argue Gabe was right to go in a different direction. Several companies tried to copy ECW in that era--XPW, 3PW, and Major League Wrestling, which went as far as to use Styles.

None of those promotions are around now.

ROH had its own problems with acting too much like ECW with the hardcore main events of 2002, bringing in ICP and Dusty Rhodes and all that. They found their own identity later on by getting away from those matches and, in most cases, not using ex-ECW talent.

So in hindsight, I think Gabe was right to be conscious of making ROH stand out, rather than trying to replicate ECW.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

Big Red Machine wrote:
famicommander wrote:
I have no idea why TNA won't just go back to Mike Tenay. He wasn't the best but he was at least competent.
Tenay was not CLOSE to competent. He would constantly get major details wrong or say completely stupid things. Plus, he has the weirdest syntax ever.
Tenay was awful. Stilted, unnatural delivery. Bizarre syntax. And of course the trademark creepy owl stare.

I understand and applaud Gabe wanting to establish that ROH was not ECW Jr. But Styles was so much better than what we ended up with in the booth that in this situation I would have used him anyway. I CERTAINLY would have used him over Corino if we had to have an ECW guy in the booth.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Imagine going to a restaurant, being fed a shitty plate, and then being fed the answer of "we're striving to be different" by the store manager.
DieHard

Post by DieHard »

supersonic wrote:Imagine Styles calling THE Dragon Gate trios and bringing back more memories of Michinoku Pro. Cage of Death. The Summer of Punk. Danielson vs. McGuinness. All the crazy shit from Homicide and Generation Next.
:cry:
MOOSE!
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

I'd take Mike Tenay all day over Josh Mathews and the Pope. Pope should be wrestling and Josh Mathews should just go away. TNA commentary right now is just a disaster, moreso than TNA itself is generally a disaster factory.