ROH is returning to England

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
BurningHammer

Re: ROH is returning to England

Post by BurningHammer »

Burnside wrote:
BurningHammer wrote:
All of this is why I was amazed that they went with Calisto instead of El Generico, El Generico for me is a dream for WWE from the skits and backstage that could have done to Merchandise to also his wrestling. I honestly think he could have taken over the babyface role left by Ray Mysterio, but sadly that didn't happen.
I don't think a white guy pretending to be a Mexican with a stereotypical accent was going to fly on the big stage in 2016. Try explaining El Generico to latino fans. It would be asking for trouble. They were right to make him drop the gimmick, especially since his promos and facials are solid anyway.
I can understand that there could be a scenario of offending a lot of people but doesn't Lucha Underground have a few North American talents working as Latin characters, I don't know LU enough to be full sure though. Also I don't think even in this day age WWE would be afraid to push that bar. Has El Generico ever wrestled in Mexico if so it would be interesting to have seen his reaction and wether or not people did connect with him.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Burnside wrote:
HonorLives wrote:Come on guys, that (awesome) video package put Scurll over like he's a really big deal. You just don't do this kind of stuff for somebody who's just coming in for a weekend.
Scurll clearly made it himself, as he often does.

Is plague doctor mask/Clockwork Orange steampunk bullshit "awesome" in 2016?
The white plague mask is a pretty new addition alongside with his new coat, which is much better than the small and cheap looking one he used to wear. I think the top hat and all that is more to be a play on the English gent/Villain persona and least hes investing in a look that stands out, but I'm a sucker for cool entrance gear, it shows a level of effort and makes special events look a bit more different.

I to cant see the point El Ligero, I'm so glad he is part of the Origin in Progress as I got boo him and get my feelings out, just don't get the guy at all, he is my piss break/lets go to the bar wrestler.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

While I’m not behind Scurll the same way some people seem to get really behind him, I think he still is a pretty good worker and is charismatic. It’s interesting to see new talent in ROH that the audience might be familiar with and are not from NJPW or TNA.

I’m sure I can tolerate his goofy Baz-Luhrmann-Batman-villain pastiche if it’s just for the UK tour and perhaps a few other shows.
HonorLives

Post by HonorLives »

187_Joeism wrote:
Burnside wrote:
HonorLives wrote:Come on guys, that (awesome) video package put Scurll over like he's a really big deal. You just don't do this kind of stuff for somebody who's just coming in for a weekend.
Scurll clearly made it himself, as he often does.

Is plague doctor mask/Clockwork Orange steampunk bullshit "awesome" in 2016?
It's not the mask, the whole presentation of the villain is what is awesome not just something specific, for example umbrellas are not awesome in 2016 but you see Scurll coming out with them and you find it cool.
Yep, this.

It's not the mask, the umbrella and the coat... it's all of these elements combined with his behaviour. He's always been a good wrestler, he just needed a character to stand out and he created one out of nowhere, he's been a great champion for RevPro and PROGRESS.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

I just find it hard to take his character as seriously as he seems to. The mask, the coat, the hat, the umbrella, the verbiage, the video splicing (occasionally in black and white) - all without a trace of irony. It's like he grabbed every 1989 neo-Victorian steampunk cliche and is doing them all at once. I keep waiting for a punchline but I don't think there is one. Hope he next appears with brass goggles, a telescope, a taxidermied crow, and spinning a beige globe.

I would pop if in his first appearance Jay Briscoe immediately suplexed him on his head without giving him time to take all his try-hard gear off. Little cog wheels and ornate longnettes flying everywhere.

For the record, Jay Briscoe's gas mask was also stupid.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

marty is a very good wrestler with a great character...hope he stays in roh from now on.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

Burnside wrote:I just find it hard to take his character as seriously as he seems to. The mask, the coat, the hat, the umbrella, the verbiage, the video splicing (occasionally in black and white) - all without a trace of irony. It's like he grabbed every 1989 neo-Victorian steampunk cliche and is doing them all at once. I keep waiting for a punchline but I don't think there is one. Hope he next appears with brass goggles, a telescope, a taxidermied crow, and spinning a beige globe.

I would pop if in his first appearance Jay Briscoe immediately suplexed him on his head without giving him time to take all his try-hard gear off. Little cog wheels and ornate longnettes flying everywhere.

There is no punchline and he is most likely not going to change a thing, you don´t have to get it or like it though, you are in your right to not like his whole gimmick but the majority of fans find it great, until that changes you are going to get The Villain.

Jay Briscoe's gas mask is the same thing, the gas mask is not cool, Jay Briscoe wearing the gas mask is the cool thing.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Burnside wrote:I just find it hard to take his character as seriously as he seems to. The mask, the coat, the hat, the umbrella, the verbiage, the video splicing (occasionally in black and white) - all without a trace of irony. It's like he grabbed every 1989 neo-Victorian steampunk cliche and is doing them all at once. I keep waiting for a punchline but I don't think there is one. Hope he next appears with brass goggles, a telescope, a taxidermied crow, and spinning a beige globe.

For me what's worse is his rave/EDM entrance song. I would take him gesturing in an ornithopter with gaiters and a pince-nez over his current character of someone that takes Moby and The Shamen too seriously while looking like millenial The Penguin.

But whatever. He is a well-rounded worker that can have a reliably good match against most people on the current roster.
HonorLives

Post by HonorLives »

Yeah, these are tools that a character needs to use correctly to get over.

For instance, having two masked fanning boys at ringside can easily be silly... but Castle makes it cool.

If Scurll uses the umbrella to look cool, to get a tainted victory or to be laughed at if somebody breaks it intentionally, it's cool (for instance, at a RevPro show Steen wore Scurll's fur and broke it because it didn't fit him, it lasted 30 seconds and it was fun for what it was).

If you put the umbrella on a pole or if you create the World Heavyweight Umbrella and treat it like a title belt... yeah, that's silly.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

Castle is an obvious comparison but I don't feel that I'm being asked to take his gimmick seriously at all and I'm laughing WITH him.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

You are not asked to take Scurll gimmick serious, it´s pro wrestling after all.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

187_Joeism wrote:

There is no punchline and he is most likely not going to change a thing, you don´t have to get it or like it though, you are in your right to not like his whole gimmick but the majority of fans find it great, until that changes you are going to get The Villain.

Jay Briscoe's gas mask is the same thing, the gas mask is not cool, Jay Briscoe wearing the gas mask is the cool thing.
I never found either of them to be "cool." With Scurll, though, you pretty much forget about all of that once he gets in the ring and starts bending people's fingers backwards.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

Big Red Machine wrote:
187_Joeism wrote:

I never found either of them to be "cool." With Scurll, though, you pretty much forget about all of that once he gets in the ring and starts bending people's fingers backwards.
You see, i don´t find the fingers stuff cool or nothing like that, like a said it depends of anyone taste.
JigsawVs.Jason

Post by JigsawVs.Jason »

If Scrull has indeed signed a contract that was the best signing in a long time, he can be an instant, credible main eventer.
If ROH books him and Ospreay more regularly they could indeed usher in a ned era in ROH. All that's left to do is sign ZSJ as a replacement for Strong now.
"If anyone complains about how today's pro wrestling isn't as good as the past and isn't watching New Japan, their opinions have no validity." ~ Dave Meltzer
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

Wilson wrote: For me what's worse is his rave/EDM entrance song. I would take him gesturing in an ornithopter with gaiters and a pince-nez
Oh God my expectations are so high now.

ORNITHOPTER ENTRANCE OR WE RIOT
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

And an aeolipile as the tail rotor. And that signature Victoriana body odor. BOOK IT, SUCH AND SUCH.
Big Red Machine

187_Joeism wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:
187_Joeism wrote:

You see, i don´t find the fingers stuff cool or nothing like that, like a said it depends of anyone taste.
I'm not saying the finger thing is cool. I cringe every time he does it, because I can't imagine it not hurting like a motherf*cker. It makes Scurll come off as extra dangerous, as it's something very painful that we don't usually see in the US or Japan, but at the same time, it's a relatable pain (most of us haven't been powerbomed, but most of us have bent our fingers backwards once or twice), so it hits home a bit more. Once Scurll gets into the ring, he shows how dangerous he is, so the fact that he comes out with an umbrella and a weird mask and does a weird dance doesn't bother me (as opposed to a Dalton Castle who does weird stuff throughout the match, so it comes off like the whole point of the character is just to be weird).
jordidebaas

Post by jordidebaas »

I think the move itself is cool, but then after getting his fingers broken, usually in the first few minutes of the match, the opponent, as well as Scurll himself, just ignores it for the rest of the match, which I think is pretty stupid
I was in the front line when we battled page 15
Big Red Machine

jordidebaas wrote:I think the move itself is cool, but then after getting his fingers broken, usually in the first few minutes of the match, the opponent, as well as Scurll himself, just ignores it for the rest of the match, which I think is pretty stupid
Does it actually break the fingers or is it just an attempt to do so?
John-Blud

Post by John-Blud »

he actually breaks their fingers. the madman.