ROH is returning to England

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
DXvsNWO1994

Re: ROH is returning to England

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

AssShooter wrote:
DXvsNWO1994 wrote:Here's what PWTorch said about the situation:

http://www.pwtorch.com/site/2016/08/22/ ... g-wwnlive/
Ring of Honor made it official Monday that international star Marty Scurll has signed with ROH.

In a video update, ROH teased Scurll debuting on the “Reach for the Sky” U.K. tour in November.

Scurll decided to sign with ROH after being part of WWNLive/EVOLVE shows throughout 2016, including challenging for the EVOLVE Title at E64 in July.

Scurll was booked for the EVOLVE 66 show in Joppa, Md. over the weekend (August 19), but WWNLive announced on July 20 that Scurll was off the E66 show “due to a personal commitment.”

PWTorch learned that Scurll gave his notice to EVOLVE officials around that time and he said that he was going to sign with ROH.

ROH played up Scurll’s villainous persona in an introductory video released Monday on Twitter.
He gave his notice 4 months in advance ? That's weird, they let Lio Rush finish his dates with Evolve even after they signed him.
Perhaps he couldn't actually sign with ROH until he gave his notice with Evolve?

Plus, don't forget, PWTorch is the same site that has yet to retract their story about Will Ospreay signing with Evolve, despite a plethora of evidence that shows he hasn't signed with anyone (as of last week, at least), so they've proven recently that their stories aren't 100% accurate.
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

BurningHammer wrote:Good news on Scurll, hopefully EL Ligero isn't too far behind.
Eew, why would you want store brand Generico ?
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Thelone wrote:
BurningHammer wrote:Good news on Scurll, hopefully EL Ligero isn't too far behind.
because he is good man...thats why.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Thelone wrote:
I think he has improved loads as a wrestler and I really enjoy his work, plus wether you see him as a low rent El Generico, I think a character like him is missing in ROH.

Looking at audiences ROH is attracting a younger age group and someone like Ligero could really connect to them and also bring more in and think overall that would be great for ROH.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

Thelone wrote:
Because he is one of the most underrated talents in the UK and he has nothing to do with El Generico.

I don´t mind you just being hater for everything even when you said multiple times that you don´t even watch the product but no need to disrespect the wrestlers.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

I don´t trust the Torch with ROH news after all the flops in recent months so i will not believe Scurll news until some good source confirm it, if he is really signed then great news, he should come out of the UK tour as TV Champion.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

187_Joeism wrote:I don´t trust the Torch with ROH news after all the flops in recent months so i will not believe Scurll news until some good source confirm it, if he is really signed then great news, he should come out of the UK tour as TV Champion.
Scurll is definitely coming. I guess it's just a matter of "is he just doing the UK shows?" or "has he been signed to some sort of deal with ROH?"

I totally agree with you about PWTorch, not wholly, but I'm actually pretty surprised that their "report" on Will Ospreay signing with Evolve (which has been verified to be false by comments Ospreay himself made recently) hasn't been getting as much flack as it deserves. It's honestly pretty egregious reporting (stuff like this makes me wish Talking Sheet wasn't on hiatus, because they'd be ALL OVER that).
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

Yeah he is at least going to be there for the UK tour i just going to wait and see untill he shows up in the US shows, same with Ospreay.
LJimmy

Post by LJimmy »

DXvsNWO1994 wrote:
187_Joeism wrote:I don´t trust the Torch with ROH news after all the flops in recent months so i will not believe Scurll news until some good source confirm it, if he is really signed then great news, he should come out of the UK tour as TV Champion.
Scurll is definitely coming. I guess it's just a matter of "is he just doing the UK shows?" or "has he been signed to some sort of deal with ROH?"

I totally agree with you about PWTorch, not wholly, but I'm actually pretty surprised that their "report" on Will Ospreay signing with Evolve (which has been verified to be false by comments Ospreay himself made recently) hasn't been getting as much flack as it deserves. It's honestly pretty egregious reporting (stuff like this makes me wish Talking Sheet wasn't on hiatus, because they'd be ALL OVER that).
That and they also said Ibushi was signed to WWE when that doesn't appear to be the case.
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

BurningHammer wrote:I think he has improved loads as a wrestler and I really enjoy his work, plus wether you see him as a low rent El Generico, I think a character like him is missing in ROH.
You mean bland flippy babyface ? Because ROH already has a bunch of those.
Looking at audiences ROH is attracting a younger age group and someone like Ligero could really connect to them and also bring more in and think overall that would be great for ROH.
Wait, what ?

I mean, fair enough if you like the guy and would like to see him in ROH, but that's really grasping at straws when there's absolutely no evidence of Ligero being popular with kids. You might as well just pick a random CHIKARA dude if you're looking for a masked wrestler, not go for Poundland Generico there.
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
jordidebaas

Post by jordidebaas »

I think they're just making the same mistake they made when they announced Ospreay for the UK tour, and they thought it was an official signing, considering they're once again saying that ROH officialy announced a signing when they didn't announce anything.
I was in the front line when we battled page 15
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

Both ROH itself and the news sites use the term "signed" liberally and ambiguously. "Signed" can mean anything from "signed up to appear on one or two shows for this promotion" to "signed a long-term contract to appear regularly with this promotion." Time will tell what is the case here.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

it looks like is not only gonna be for the uk tours...

BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Thelone wrote:
BurningHammer wrote:I think he has improved loads as a wrestler and I really enjoy his work, plus wether you see him as a low rent El Generico, I think a character like him is missing in ROH.
You mean bland flippy babyface ? Because ROH already has a bunch of those.
Wait, what ?

I mean, fair enough if you like the guy and would like to see him in ROH, but that's really grasping at straws when there's absolutely no evidence of Ligero being popular with kids. You might as well just pick a random CHIKARA dude if you're looking for a masked wrestler, not go for Poundland Generico there.
I don't see him any differently to any other baby face right now, he seems to get a real connection with the crowd gets good reaction on combacks and selling and overall that's the most important thing.

Kids generally will rely on visual stimuli and someone like Ligero will have that in spades, plus he can go. I also doubt Ligero has had the chance to actually connect to a very young audience, considering where he wrestles. I'm sure if you gave Ligero a pure good guy, drink your milk type of guy within ROH a younger audience will eat it up. To me this is how how a company could make a huge amount of money, Kids bring parents, parents get interested in ROH also, they also buy Merchandise for their kids. You look at most people background's in how they got into wrestling and it will be as a kid it will be that one moment, one charachter and it's not about that five star match it will be simple shit like he had a painted face and It's these simple things that ROH needs to now get onto without becoming cheesy and it can be done. Ligero just needs to look unique in his booking and his presence.

All of this is why I was amazed that they went with Calisto instead of El Generico, El Generico for me is a dream for WWE from the skits and backstage that could have done to Merchandise to also his wrestling. I honestly think he could have taken over the babyface role left by Ray Mysterio, but sadly that didn't happen.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

BurningHammer wrote:
All of this is why I was amazed that they went with Calisto instead of El Generico, El Generico for me is a dream for WWE from the skits and backstage that could have done to Merchandise to also his wrestling. I honestly think he could have taken over the babyface role left by Ray Mysterio, but sadly that didn't happen.
I don't think a white guy pretending to be a Mexican with a stereotypical accent was going to fly on the big stage in 2016. Try explaining El Generico to latino fans. It would be asking for trouble. They were right to make him drop the gimmick, especially since his promos and facials are solid anyway.
HonorLives

Post by HonorLives »

Come on guys, that (awesome) video package put Scurll over like he's a really big deal. You just don't do this kind of stuff for somebody who's just coming in for a weekend.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

HonorLives wrote:Come on guys, that (awesome) video package put Scurll over like he's a really big deal. You just don't do this kind of stuff for somebody who's just coming in for a weekend.
Scurll clearly made it himself, as he often does.

Is plague doctor mask/Clockwork Orange steampunk bullshit "awesome" in 2016?
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Burnside wrote:Both ROH itself and the news sites use the term "signed" liberally and ambiguously. "Signed" can mean anything from "signed up to appear on one or two shows for this promotion" to "signed a long-term contract to appear regularly with this promotion." Time will tell what is the case here.
Definitely agree with you here. It's kind of similar to how CNN, for example, has bastardized the term "Breaking News" so much that any story that pops up on that network (regardless of actual relevancy) is called "Breaking News".
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

ROH doesn't need to explain it because the talk is good for them, if some news site is reporting they need to be clear about it.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

Burnside wrote:
HonorLives wrote:Come on guys, that (awesome) video package put Scurll over like he's a really big deal. You just don't do this kind of stuff for somebody who's just coming in for a weekend.
Scurll clearly made it himself, as he often does.

Is plague doctor mask/Clockwork Orange steampunk bullshit "awesome" in 2016?
It's not the mask, the whole presentation of the villain is what is awesome not just something specific, for example umbrellas are not awesome in 2016 but you see Scurll coming out with them and you find it cool.