Necro Butcher has retired

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Wilson

Re: Necro Butcher has retired

Post by Wilson »

That’s a really good column. Here’s a small piece from it:
JR Goldberg of [i]Voices of Wrestling[/i] wrote:One of my favorite interactions with a wrestler happened with the Necro Butcher. I was in New York for an ROH show, and Necro did a run in, but instead of his normal “gear” of a tank top and cut up jeans, he was wearing khaki cargo pants and a Dennis Kucinich presidential campaign shirt . After the show that night, I ran in to him at a bar and he was sitting down by himself, wearing glasses and a fleece and I asked him what the deal was with his outfit, expecting some story about a rib. No, he said, his luggage had gotten lost. He came out in what he was wearing when he got on the plane in the morning. I laughed, and I bought him a beer. He asked for a Blue Moon. He smiled when I told him that I considered the Necro Butcher wearing a t shirt that said “I pledge for peace” the start of a face turn. I ran out of things to say shortly after that, and as I was leaving he stopped me and thanked me for the beer. In a business built on deception, it will always stand out as a moment of immense honesty. His face looked so genuine. His words were so kind. He seemed a simple, decent man, and I was glad to have spoken to him.
I value similarly that Necro Butcher was a folk artist and that his character was very exceedingly earnest. Although I think most of his matches aren’t very watchable, wrestling culture will feel smaller without him. He played a role that no one else will be able to match.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

I enjoyed Necro Butcher for what he was. I found his interviews outside the ring fascinating. Intelligent dude. I retirement is good for him.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Pure magic that nobody on the indies will ever capture again.

Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

I'm not a huge fan of the death match stuff, but Necro always knew how to put a match together in a more interesting way than most do. He clearly had a good mind for wrestling far beyond what a lot of indy wrestlers do. I always respected that quite a bit. He's also an embodiment of the great contrast (can't really think of the right word) that persists in wrestling culture; that such a violent, gory, wrestler named "Necro Butcher" can also be one of the nicest, intelligent characters outside the ring.
Vanilla Gorilla

Post by Vanilla Gorilla »

Northwoods_Nightmare wrote:I'm not a huge fan of the death match stuff, but Necro always knew how to put a match together in a more interesting way than most do. He clearly had a good mind for wrestling far beyond what a lot of indy wrestlers do. I always respected that quite a bit. He's also an embodiment of the great contrast (can't really think of the right word) that persists in wrestling culture; that such a violent, gory, wrestler named "Necro Butcher" can also be one of the nicest, intelligent characters outside the ring.
paradox?
ShaunSperling

Post by ShaunSperling »

Loved that he got to be in the Wrestler movie for a payday.
DeepCDiverticulitis

Post by DeepCDiverticulitis »

The writer of the article confused Devon Moore with Devon Storm, but regardless, in regards to Necro Butcher, god speed to him. He was used well in his supporting role in the ROH vs. CZW feud (Homicide pouring tacks as he was charging at him in bare feet was a highlight of the Cage of Death Match), and worked even better within Age of the Fall and breaking away from them.