Official Road To "Best In The World '16" Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
dhads7161

Re: Official Road To "Best In The World '16" Thread

Post by dhads7161 »

It's not that I have a problem with the match, it's that the "Road to" name should be more for building to the big matches, not for the big matches. Cabana vs. Cole is a PPV match, why not Cole & Page vs. Cabana and a partner here? Or even Page vs. Cabana? BUILD toward that match don't blow it off on the VOD.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Normally, I might agree with you, but this storyline has already been built as an epic feud, so if they were smart they should capitalize on it.
FanSinceHDNet

Post by FanSinceHDNet »

dhads7161 wrote:It's not that I have a problem with the match, it's that the "Road to" name should be more for building to the big matches, not for the big matches. Cabana vs. Cole is a PPV match, why not Cole & Page vs. Cabana and a partner here? Or even Page vs. Cabana? BUILD toward that match don't blow it off on the VOD.
Give it time. I don't anticipate this having a clean finish. Your concerns will be validated if it does.
trufreedom

Post by trufreedom »

dhads7161 wrote:It's not that I have a problem with the match, it's that the "Road to" name should be more for building to the big matches, not for the big matches. Cabana vs. Cole is a PPV match, why not Cole & Page vs. Cabana and a partner here? Or even Page vs. Cabana? BUILD toward that match don't blow it off on the VOD.
...There's no reason to think this will be the blow off. I don't even know why you'd think that.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

trufreedom wrote:
...There's no reason to think this will be the blow off. I don't even know why you'd think that.
Not the blow off to the feud, letting a mathc of this caliber go mostly ignored on a VOD show that the casual ROH fan more than likely won't see. Unless it's a fuck finish that leads to something that makes even the slightest shred of sense it is wasted being put on this card.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

dhads7161 wrote:
trufreedom wrote:
Not the blow off to the feud, letting a mathc of this caliber go mostly ignored on a VOD show that the casual ROH fan more than likely won't see. Unless it's a fuck finish that leads to something that makes even the slightest shred of sense it is wasted being put on this card.
How do you know it will be mostly ignored on a VOD, I didn't realise it's possible to get the number of views they have.

Personally I find it funny how people are having a go at ROH for having big matches on House shows when that's what ROH was born on. Now they go back to a similar formula and people still aren't happy. ROH just can't win.

For all we know they could actually make a match for Best In the World or actually really start a strong feud between the two from now, to criticize ROH for doing what they lacked recently and have needed to add is just bizarre
JigsawVs.Jason

Post by JigsawVs.Jason »

Cabana vs Cole is not a PPV quality match, but a damn good way of making the Road to shows even more intriguing than they already are (great cards all around announced so far) and at the same time pushing the BC/ROH storyline even more. That is good booking, period.
"If anyone complains about how today's pro wrestling isn't as good as the past and isn't watching New Japan, their opinions have no validity." ~ Dave Meltzer
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Good location for Cabana to have home field advantage.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

If you're going to justify the fuck finish at Global Wars, Cole vs. Cabana is a step in the right direction to market this angle. Like I said earlier, hype the fuck out of these shows on the weekly Sinclair episodes, utilize social media, do whatever you can to make this the hottest angle in wrestling. Use the house shows as marketing ploys for Bullet Club madness where anything can happen. Nigel needs to be front and center from here on out. Develop a mini Nigel/Cole verbal feud. This has legs and potential if executed properly.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

Was going to go to the Collinsville show but fucking work has us on six day weeks until the end of July.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:I actually have no problem with this match taking place at a house show. What I will have a problem with is if clips from this match aren't used on the weekly show to tell the overall story that is being told about the Bullet Club. You do this, and it enhances the angle. NXT is doing a great job of promoting their house shows as "can't miss" events on their weekly show. Koff should take a lesson.
Exactly this. There is nothing wrong with doing this match on a house show, but said house show should be promoted on the TV as an important part of the story.
I am also of the opinion that this will not have anything close to a clean finish, so people thinking this will be any sort of blow-off are way off their rockers.
Big Red Machine

FanSinceHDNet wrote:
dhads7161 wrote:
monster mafia wrote:Image
Why is this match on a "Road to" show? Yeah great piece of booking Lizard Man, put a PPV match on a house show nobody is going to see.
Tons are saying "why don't house shows matter anymore?". Now, "that match is too good for a house show!" There's been storyline progression of varying sizes at each house show since March in Philly. Are they going ton ignore the fact Bullet Club wrecked Colt's chance in his hometown to win the big title that has evaded him?
Because it's different people saying these things. You can't lump all of us "complainers" (I prefer "concerned citizens") together and then criticize us for supposed hypocrisy. You need to sort it out by who is saying what and hold those people's to their opinions.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

To clear the whole Colt Cabana debate with regards to his match with Cole, Cabana was just announced for an OTT (that's a promotion in Ireland that's actually been getting a bit of buzz lately) show on 6/25, so that means he's probably unlikely for Best In The World. Given that info, Cabana vs. Cole in Milwaukee makes more sense.
STITCHES

Post by STITCHES »

Good thing we have his agent here to let us know the dude's schedule. ;)
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

Uhh, I hope that was sarcasm.
STITCHES

Post by STITCHES »

Yes, dude. It was a joke. Don't be alarmed.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

DXvsNWO1994 wrote:To clear the whole Colt Cabana debate with regards to his match with Cole, Cabana was just announced for an OTT (that's a promotion in Ireland that's actually been getting a bit of buzz lately) show on 6/25, so that means he's probably unlikely for Best In The World. Given that info, Cabana vs. Cole in Milwaukee makes more sense.
Makes sense now. And Milwuakee is probably the top ROH city on the "Road to" tour, so makes sense now. I think it would make sense to do some kind of injury angle with Colt here so there can be a kayfabe explanation for his absence from BITW.
Big Red Machine

dhads7161 wrote:
DXvsNWO1994 wrote:To clear the whole Colt Cabana debate with regards to his match with Cole, Cabana was just announced for an OTT (that's a promotion in Ireland that's actually been getting a bit of buzz lately) show on 6/25, so that means he's probably unlikely for Best In The World. Given that info, Cabana vs. Cole in Milwaukee makes more sense.
Makes sense now. And Milwuakee is probably the top ROH city on the "Road to" tour, so makes sense now. I think it would make sense to do some kind of injury angle with Colt here so there can be a kayfabe explanation for his absence from BITW.
I think Hopkins has actually drawn better than Milwaukee, although they would almost certainly do better in Milwaukee with a bigger building.

Good idea about the injury angle.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

It looks like both Keith Lee and Shane Taylor will be on the June 3rd, 4th and 5th cards.

If Shane could just drop a bit of weight they could be something new for tag team division. I have a feeling though they may well go with Keith Lee as more of the full time guy which would be a good decision as he seems to be getting better and better.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

BurningHammer wrote:It looks like both Keith Lee and Shane Taylor will be on the June 3rd, 4th and 5th cards.

If Shane could just drop a bit of weight they could be something new for tag team division. I have a feeling though they may well go with Keith Lee as more of the full time guy which would be a good decision as he seems to be getting better and better.
Heard some really good things about the match Keith Lee had with Donovan Dijak in Beyond Wrestling this past weekend.