Official Best In The World 2016 Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
DXvsNWO1994

Re: Official Best In The World 2016 Thread

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

supersonic wrote:Observer:
Spoiler: show
the 7/16 show in Philadelphia. Colt Cabana will also have a rematch with Jay Lethal (or whoever the champion is at that point) on that show.

The winner of the Jay Lethal vs. Jay Briscoe PPV match on 6/24, will then defend the title against Kyle O’Reilly on 6/25 at the TV tapings
Spoiler: show
Nice to see Cabana getting a rematch.

Also, the fact that O'Reilly is getting his shot at the TV Tapings, to me at least, screams that he's losing, probably via something screwy...
STITCHES

Post by STITCHES »

I don't see why O'Reilly couldn't have already held a TV title. It's cool that Fish is in that title picture, but who's to say a partner vs partner feud wouldn't be interesting? I thought Richards vs Edwards for the heavyweight title was awesome.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

STITCHES wrote:I don't see why O'Reilly couldn't have already held a TV title. It's cool that Fish is in that title picture, but who's to say a partner vs partner feud wouldn't be interesting? I thought Richards vs Edwards for the heavyweight title was awesome.
Until it wasn't. Until it really wasn't.

But if Kyle loses again, especially on a TV taping, he can't challenge for that belt in any sort of near future. (In general, I think any time this calendar year is even too soon for him.) In singles, I guess he could maybe become a competent fixture in the TV Title picture.

What's certain is that the next time he challenges any for singles title, he just has to win it.
STITCHES

Post by STITCHES »

Don't see why he couldn't. If you tuned into ROH TV weekly and he was often defending the title, would you complain? I think O'Reilly is an interesting enough wrestler to where given the right competition, he presents a complex arsenal and is young enough to remain a student of the game. To me, he only stands to improve.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

STITCHES wrote:Why don't you two just get it over with and fuck each other, okay?

What I'm kinda noticing about you is you're not nearly as clever as you think you are.
STITCHES

Post by STITCHES »

I love when people act like they've got someone else all figured out. Rather arrogantly presumptuous and says waaaay more about you than it does about me. Secondly, you got personal pretty quick there over a rib. Just saying.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

STITCHES wrote:I love when people act like they've got someone else all figured out. Rather arrogantly presumptuous and says waaaay more about you than it does about me. Secondly, you got personal pretty quick there over a rib. Just saying.
I love when people act like they've got someone else all figured out. Rather arrogantly presumptuous and says waaaay more about you than it does about Burnside. Secondly, you got personal pretty quick there over a rib. Just saying.
Last edited by Wilson on Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

The stars of RING OF HONOR return to the Charlotte area for BEST IN THE WORLD Weekend on Friday June 24, with 9 PM EST bell time for BEST IN THE WORLD LIVE on Pay Per view! The following night, ROH will conduct a National Television Taping starting at 6 PM EST. Both events will take place at the Cabarrus Arena in Concord, NC just outside of Charlotte!

Fans will be able to watch this extravaganza in the United States on all major carriers and worldwide on ROHWrestling.com but nothing beats seeing the hard-hitting, fast-paced action LIVE and in person!

ROH Matchmaker Nigel McGuinness announced at the Toronto stop of the War of the Worlds tour that a grudge match over TWO YEARS in the MAKING will be resolved in an UNSANCTIONED FIGHT WITHOUT HONOR!

UNSANCTIONED FIGHT WITHOUT HONOR
BJ WHITMER vs. STEVE CORINO

It started nearly two years ago with a series of passing comments and a series of glares. Ring of Honor Television Color Commentator Steve Corino, known for his gift of gab and occasionally not filtering his thoughts, would pepper in his displeasure with the lifestyle of B.J. Whitmer, unearthing skeletons from deep within his closet on television and on social media.

For months, fans wondered why the now-jovial Corino was seemingly going out of his way to express his dislike for Whitmer. Did bitterness still exist over an ex? Was this a rivalry built on the road between two stars that couldn’t stand each other? Fans soon found out that the bones of old skeletons are of no comparison to what the issue really was: family.

Whitmer decided to fight Corino’s stone throwing with a bazooka. Whitmer recruited Corino’s son, rising professional wrestling star Colby Corino, to join the Decade as its young boy. While the younger Corino had an impressive array of talent and an advanced repertoire of moves, Whitmer would frequently sign Colby for matches in which he was clearly overmatched, forcing the elder Corino to watch his son get humiliated and physically destroyed by the likes of Moose and War Machine.

For months, this behavior continued, with Whitmer promising to reveal even deeper, darker secrets about Corino while continuing to crush Corino emotionally with taunts of being the father Colby never had. At All-Star Extravaganza, Whitmer entered the ring following a grueling bout between Jay Briscoe and Adam Page. With his back turned, Corino followed him. With a roll of quarters in hand, Corino delivered the most satisfying punch of his life but simultaneously ended his run as the color commentator for Ring of Honor Wrestling.

In Kalamazoo, ROH Matchmaker Nigel McGuinness delivered the indefinite suspension verdict based on the announcer/wrestler zero tolerance policy with a catch. While Corino was suspended indefinitely as a commentator, McGuinness not only reinstated Corino’s contract as a wrestler but also announced that he had signed a match for Final Battle 2015 that would see Corino and Whitmer finally meet to resolve their differences.

There was one catch: Corino, with advanced notice of this decision, went to his physician for a routine physical. The tests revealed a neck issue that would require surgery. Corino took the ring with McGuinness and announced that he would never be able to compete again. In the weeks ahead, Whitmer would taunt Corino’s misfortune, the toll of years of grueling competition. Meanwhile, a series of rotating commentators attempted to fill the King of Old School’s chair to varying degrees of success.

Until Mr. Wrestling III arrived. Claiming to be from Parts Unknown equipped with calls he identified as “tributes to King Corino”, III quickly emerged as a suitable replacement for the King. One man wasn’t buying it: Whitmer identified III as Corino from the jump and has routinely called ROH management “a bunch of idiots” for not recognizing it. Whitmer has said that he believes that this is part of a greater conspiracy, stating that McGuinness and other ROH officials approved of Corino’s actions, thus hadn’t made III unmask.

Whitmer would continue business as usual. After Colby’s loss to Punisher Martinez in the 2016 Top Prospect Tournament, Whitmer pummeled and once again humiliated Colby right in front of, this time, Mr. Wrestling III. Corino would make his return in Concord, NC, saying that he may not be able to fight but Adam Page could. III could not contain his excitement every time Page got his hands on Whitmer and occasionally, Corino would watch from the isle when Page got his revenge for the berating he received while in the Decade.

It was Corino’s recruitment of Whitmer's former protege Page that drew Whitmer over the edge. Whitmer accelerated his black-hearted behavior. First, Whitmer donned a Mr. Wrestling III mask at the commentary table in West Warwick, RI and began to promise a flash drive. At Global Wars, Whitmer delivered III the flash drive and ordered ROH to air the contents. Through YouTube, ROH fans saw over a year and a half’s worth of stalking Whitmer did to Corino’s wife and youngest son. Somehow, someway, Whitmer knew exactly where Corino’s wife and young son were at all times.

Corino’s comments and behavior all began to make sense and in were some ways admirable. Corino had been able to remain relatively professional through the creepy, disgusting Whitmer stalking his wife and trying to get close to his toddler son, much like he did with Colby.

Corino’s neck has healed and he says it is better than ever. Whitmer’s fully healthy for the first time in years after battling an ACL injury. The stars have finally aligned and McGuinness says there is no better time than in Corino’s home state of North Carolina for the two to finally resolve their differences in an UNSACTIONED FIGHT WITHOUT HONOR!

For Whitmer, he has an opportunity to get revenge for the comments Corino made about his checkered past. For Corino, he has vowed to end Whitmer’s career because Whitmer got Corino’s family involved. This promises to be the grudge match to end all grudge matches and while ROH officials are allowing this to take place in an ROH ring, they have vowed this is UNSANCTIONED!

The only way to see this bout is to join us LIVE, on pay-per-view through all major providers, FITE TV, Playstation 4, and ROHWrestling.com!

Last year the Best Fans on The Planet SOLD OUT Terminal 5 in New York City to witness Jay Briscoe & Jay Lethal battle to see who ROH's Undisputed Champion would be.

Tickets are available NOW; you will need to get your tickets early before they do in fact SELL OUT! Click HERE for BITW and HERE for the National TV Taping the next day

Check back to ROHWrestling.com for the latest match announcements for Best in the World 2016 ahead of its live broadcast on all major pay-per-view carriers, ROHWrestling.com, FITE, Playstation Network, and more!
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Ring of Honor's biggest event of the summer is just weeks away when BEST IN THE WORLD 2016 comes to North Carolina! On Friday, June 24th, the stars of Ring of Honor head to the Charlotte area. And you can watch it LIVE on pay-per-view! Charlotte is an historic, legendary hotbed for professional wrestling, and the fans in the area are some of our most supportive and enthusiastic on the entire planet. But whether or not you can be there live in Concord, you can still catch the whole night of action on pay-per-view!

We already know that BEST IN THE WORLD will be headlined by the biggest rematch in ROH history when World Champion JAY LETHAL defends his title against his greatest rival, JAY BRISCOE. But as massive as this World Championship battle will be, we can now confirm that ALL the ROH Championships will be on the line. In addition to Bobby Fish's Television Championship defense against Dalton Castle, we can now confirm who is coming to BEST IN THE WORLD to challenge for the tag team titles:

ROH WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP
THE ADDICTION (CHRISTOPHER DANIELS & FRANKIE KAZARIAN) VS. THE MOTOR CITY MACHINE GUNS (CHRIS SABIN & ALEX SHELLEY)

The Addiction's second reign as ROH World Tag Team Champions had auspicious beginnings when they managed to work their way into title contention - and a questionable victory - against an already battered War Machine. Since then, The Addiction have maintained the same arrogant confidence they made their trademark the first time they were World Tag Team Champions (of the World). But with a tag team scene as deep as Ring of Honor's, there's always a long line of challengers waiting for the champs!

Chris Sabin and Alex Shelley have been on a hot streak since reuniting the Motor City Machine Guns! Undefeated in tag team competition, it seemed only a matter of time until they earned a championship opportunity. The pieces fell into place on the latest episode of Ring of Honor television when The Addiction's arrogance finally got the best of them. Impulsively declaring that the next team to beat them would get a tag championship shot at BEST IN THE WORLD, they took on the MCMG and RPG Vice at the same time. The Guns came out on top, and now they have a shot at gold on June 24th!

Can they keep their hot streak alive and make history at the same time? For all the international success of Sabin and Shelley, one major goal has evaded them: becoming ROH World Tag Team Champions.

Last year the Best Fans on The Planet SOLD OUT Terminal 5 in New York City to witness Jay Briscoe & Jay Lethal battle to see who ROH's Undisputed Champion would be.

Tickets are available NOW; you will need to get your tickets early before they do in fact SELL OUT! Click HERE for BITW and HERE for the National TV Taping the next day

Check back to ROHWrestling.com for the latest match announcements for Best in the World 2016 ahead of its live broadcast on all major pay-per-view carriers, ROHWrestling.com, FITE, Playstation Network, and more!
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Jay Lethal vs. Jay Briscoe
Steve Corino vs. BJ Whitmer
The Addiction vs. Motor City Machine Guns

Not a great look for an allegedly youth-based promotion in 2016.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

Youth-based promotion based on what? BJ-Corino can end and never comeback but complaining about the other 2 matches is just being a troll.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

187_Joeism wrote:Youth-based promotion based on what?
There are aperiodic claims of this on commentary throughout the years, even recent ones. None of those eight workers mentioned have been working less than 14-15 years. There’s probably 140 years between them.
187_Joeism wrote:BJ-Corino can end and never comeback but complaining about the other 2 matches is just being a troll.
In tandem, those matches are not appealing. That these are considered their big, drawing matches on their second largest PPV of the year is disconcerting. (Quick breakdown: Lethal/Briscoe is a rematch with an obvious outcome, Addiction/MCMG is the re-re-rematch that is about as heated as a damp candle, and Whitmer/Corino is the cruel reminder that this storyline has been dragging around for nearly three years.)

And then there’s the probable remainder of this card, Castle/Fish, Mark/Strong, Moose & WM/Cole & YB, ACH/Young, which are equally as flat. I don’t want to make a campaign out of it, but this just feels like a nothing PPV. I think your scotching of the card’s shortcomings reads as trollish, or at least rather undiscerning.
STITCHES

Post by STITCHES »

Wilson wrote:
STITCHES wrote:I love when people act like they've got someone else all figured out. Rather arrogantly presumptuous and says waaaay more about you than it does about me. Secondly, you got personal pretty quick there over a rib. Just saying.
I love when people act like they've got someone else all figured out. Rather arrogantly presumptuous and says waaaay more about you than it does about Burnside. Secondly, you got personal pretty quick there over a rib. Just saying.
Ouch. Remind me not to mess with your golf buddy again. :roll:
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

What Burnside said was unprovoked and a little mean, but your defense was so crappy and insecure; I mean, it was thoroughly ridiculous, just reread what you wrote. I'm surprised no one else called it out.
Fawrules

Post by Fawrules »

Wilson wrote:Jay Lethal vs. Jay Briscoe
Steve Corino vs. BJ Whitmer
The Addiction vs. Motor City Machine Guns

Not a great look for an allegedly youth-based promotion in 2016.
Lethal & Briscoe are both still just 31 & 32 respectively, despite each having well over a decade of experience. I get that they're not "fresh talent" by any means, but I'm not sure they really include merit on this sort of list given that they're still younger than the average champion/contender in most major promotions.
STITCHES

Post by STITCHES »

Wilson wrote:What Burnside said was unprovoked and a little mean, but your defense was so crappy and insecure; I mean, it was thoroughly ridiculous, just reread what you wrote. I'm surprised no one else called it out.
Yeah, yeah. Alright dude.

JTCole

Post by JTCole »

Oh boy we have like 21 more days of this.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

How about O'Reilly vs. Page on this card? Niether have a clear direction for the PPV, would be a good "youth based" match.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

I prefer Kyle vs Kamaitachi & Page vs Lio Rush if you are going to do throw together matches. That way both can have a win here.