Official Best In The World 2016 Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
JigsawVs.Jason

Re: Official Best In The World 2016 Thread

Post by JigsawVs.Jason »

Burnside wrote:Meltzer says this show will have:

Cole & Bucks vs Moose & War Machine
Roderick Strong vs Mark Briscoe
ACH vs Silas Young

Not paying $35 for this card.
I usually don't agree with the negativity on this board, but as of right now - Shibata is supposed to be debuting if he gets the visum in time, probably against Kyle - this show doesn't have a match I'm really interested in. Castle vs Fish maybe, but the rest are definitely live event matches to me. Don't get me wrong, all matches announced thus far should be good, potentially very good, but none of them looks really appealing on paper.
"If anyone complains about how today's pro wrestling isn't as good as the past and isn't watching New Japan, their opinions have no validity." ~ Dave Meltzer
STITCHES

Post by STITCHES »

Still not seeing how wanting to spend your money wisely is negative. There's a lot of accessible indy wrestling out there these days. As a consumer, you should be able to choose what's most interesting to you. Strong & Briscoe faced each other last year in January for sure. I remember that happening. Seen ACH vs Silas in AAW. It was pretty good, but I wouldn't fork out $35 to see it again. Cole & Bucks vs Moose & War Machine seems interesting, though. I'll give it that. So, I'd really be spending my $35 on like two matches so far: Jay vs Jay rematch and the 6 man tag. Castle vs Fish could be good, though. Never seen them exclusively one-on-one. But still. Sounds steep to me. House of Hardcore isn't usually that much and most of those matches are something kinda different (i.e. Chris Hero vs Tommy Dreamer, PJ Black vs Alex Reynolds or Rhino vs Eddie Kingston).
Last edited by STITCHES on Tue May 24, 2016 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
STITCHES

Post by STITCHES »

187_Joeism wrote:Donovan Dijak is going to be a star in a few years, i don't think he is the best example but i understand what you are saying you just don't enjoy the current ROH and miss when it was an indy, nothing wrong with that.
Absolutely. It's not that the new wrestlers are bad. I just don't find myself engaged with them, be it in-ring or gimmick-wise. Good example would be War Machine. At first, they look interesting. Two very solid, stocky, hairy, massive brawler types that should steamroll their way through the tag division. At first glance, kinda reminds me of LOD meets the Barbarian, but then you watch these guys and it's hard to sit through their matches. And this is after years of seeing them as a tag team. I really enjoy them against the Briscoes, but beyond that, I find them slow and underwhelming. Not something I'd expect from ROH, who still to this day have me re-watching Bucks & ACH vs Addition & Cedric from Final Battle 2014. Some of the camera angles during that match really highlight various moves and the pace is so consistently rapid that I end up rewinding it just to see some sequences multiple times. To me, that match was some next level shit. But then I hear Dalton Castle's wrestling Kongo and it's like, "Wow. Good thing I missed that."
itaintducks

Post by itaintducks »

Steve Corino will be appearing at the Charlotte Knights game on 6/14 to promote Best in the World later that month in the same area.

Neat little connection, the Knights are the AAA affiliate of the Chicago White Sox, the same team Jay Lethal threw out the first pitch for last month to promote Global Wars.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

Hope Page gets to do something worthwhile on the PPV and not a fucking four way or six way. Nothing's confirmed for O'Reilly yet, but then again both of them are guys that shouldn't be losing to the other at this point. In my mind Delirious should be trying to build these two as Fish's most serious contenders. Maybe give Kyle a six or four way and Page a match with Dijak maybe.
STITCHES

Post by STITCHES »

Dijak should go back to modeling for Big & Tall or something. Or possibly auditioning for the part of Lurch in some unnecessary SJW friendly Addam's Family reboot.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Perfect job either way for him because he can't cut a promo for shit.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

so disrespectful men...

i hope dijak proves you wrong.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

Dijak is a hell of a lot better than Moose.
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

monster mafia wrote:so disrespectful men...
Yeah, Lurch is awesome, let's stop comparing him to Donovan "Bland" Dijak.
dhads7161 wrote:Dijak is a hell of a lot better than Moose.
That's not saying much frankly.
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

Thelone wrote:Yeah, Lurch is awesome, let's stop comparing him to Donovan "Bland" Dijak.
:lol:
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Not a lot wrong with Dijak as a Lower to Mid card guy. He is someone who could improve to the level of main event guy. He's improving all the time, he now just needs to find something that fits him persona wise, maybe a settled run with Nana will bring that.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

BurningHammer wrote:Not a lot wrong with Dijak as a Lower to Mid card guy. He is someone who could improve to the level of main event guy. He's improving all the time, he now just needs to find something that fits him persona wise, maybe a settled run with Nana will bring that.
Oh come on! It's been literally TEN YEARS since being associated with Prince Nana did anything positive for anyone.
STITCHES

Post by STITCHES »

monster mafia wrote:so disrespectful men...

i hope dijak proves you wrong.
It was a joke. Dude, you act like this guy doesn't get paid to be a pro wrestler on TV!
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

Big Red Machine wrote:Oh come on! It's been literally TEN YEARS since being associated with Prince Nana did anything positive for anyone.
I was gonna say, that's an insane amount of faith to think PRINCE NANA can do anything worthwhile for the guy. They already did the losing streak of doom to turn him into "just a guy" (hence why Martini "fired" him from HoT), then Nana will do cryptic bullshit no one gives a fuck about, then Veda Scott will kill him for good with some lawsuit garbage and whatever else she does.

Dijak is still pretty new to the business so maybe he can turn into something good in a few years, but he's just a body right now and very little else.
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

My thoughts exactly BRM and Thelone.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Big Red Machine wrote:
BurningHammer wrote:Not a lot wrong with Dijak as a Lower to Mid card guy. He is someone who could improve to the level of main event guy. He's improving all the time, he now just needs to find something that fits him persona wise, maybe a settled run with Nana will bring that.
Oh come on! It's been literally TEN YEARS since being associated with Prince Nana did anything positive for anyone.
I think Nana never actually having a consistent role since he is was really successful didn't help, he would drop in drop never really anything continues then he would be gone for ages. It never created any consistency or substance and for me that only comes with working every day or knowing you will be.

I'm not saying Nana is the be and end all for the guy, but I do think if they give Nana and Dijak enough direction and room to be creative I think they can have something. The problem with Nana is that he is much better at getting a heel type reaction than a Babyface one so they need to just stick to being a heel pair and going by the recent Global Wars tour that's the direction they are headed and I'm fine with that. More so if they stick with it, don't fade out of it (which has been a huge problem under Delirious) sometimes it just takes time for people to find themselves in a new role and Thelone says he is newish to the mainstream and being apart of that could be daunting.

Just speaking of characters in general, i've been wondering about Jason Kincaid. I haven't seen a lot of him in say promo/angles would he suit a raven (Ecw) style character or maybe something to Daniels when he had the prophecy. I only wonder to see what could be done to make him a bigger part of ROH.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

BurningHammer wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:
I think Nana never actually having a consistent role since he is was really successful didn't help, he would drop in drop never really anything continues then he would be gone for ages. It never created any consistency or substance and for me that only comes with working every day or knowing you will be.

I'm not saying Nana is the be and end all for the guy, but I do think if they give Nana and Dijak enough direction and room to be creative I think they can have something. The problem with Nana is that he is much better at getting a heel type reaction than a Babyface one so they need to just stick to being a heel pair and going by the recent Global Wars tour that's the direction they are headed and I'm fine with that. More so if they stick with it, don't fade out of it (which has been a huge problem under Delirious) sometimes it just takes time for people to find themselves in a new role and Thelone says he is newish to the mainstream and being apart of that could be daunting.

Just speaking of characters in general, i've been wondering about Jason Kincaid. I haven't seen a lot of him in say promo/angles would he suit a raven (Ecw) style character or maybe something to Daniels when he had the prophecy. I only wonder to see what could be done to make him a bigger part of ROH.
Recently Nana hasn't had any real time or direction, but he was certainly given both of those in 2009-2010 and nothing he did went anywhere. His guys didn't get over and their opponents didn't get over.
STITCHES

Post by STITCHES »

The manager talent is such a revolving door, too. Remember how often Jackal/Cyrus would present some new stable in WWE? That's what the ROH managers remind me of. But it's all the time, seemingly. It's like, "Oh, look. Veda Scott/Stokely Hathaway/Prince Nana have yet another recycled forgotten wrestler they're freaking out over." And then of course it doesn't go anywhere. At least Martini consistently brings a dastardly heel edge to someone in any title picture. Granted, I think that gimmick is tired also, but he's like ROH's Paul Bearer, maybe.

I guess I just miss managers/mouthpieces like Joel Gertner, Judge Jeff Jones or Bill Alfonso. Yeah, they were obnoxious, but they were at least funny and provocative. I see Nana on screen and it's like, "You again! Now what?" :lol:
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Ironically, I think Jeff Jones works for ROH.