ALL PURPOSE CONTRACT STATUS/POTENTIAL DEPARTURES THREAD

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Wilson

Re: ALL PURPOSE CONTRACT STATUS/POTENTIAL DEPARTURES THREAD

Post by Wilson »

Big Red Machine wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:23 am They definitely gave him the time to shine, but they didn't really use him in a way that made his time feel particularly worthwhile to me as a fan. He elevated the match quality in the mid-card, but that was about it. They didn't try to make anything of him the way Gabe would do with someone when he got them on loan from Dragon Gate or NOAH for 6-8 months.
White’s excursion seemed to be an odd cocktail of genuine excitement from ROH and forced protection from behalf of New Japan. He was booked much stronger than a young talent tends to in the company, but could never claim momentum being in feuds that yielded no payoffs. It’s a strange creative tactic to book someone strong for its own sake, and that's, regrettably, what we saw.

A possible direction the company could have gone in was to push White very hard as the next breakout star, advertising ROH as his ground floor to success. Sure, eventually he goes back to New Japan, but his return matches in ROH would be received as big babyface homecomings. The company should generally treat excursion talent more generously, though White in particular should have gotten labored work put into him, as the whole wrestling community is waiting for his star to ascend. Instead, he had mostly three star matches for a year in a half-baked, mostly non-committal, undercard workrate faction.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Wilson wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:13 am
Big Red Machine wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:23 am They definitely gave him the time to shine, but they didn't really use him in a way that made his time feel particularly worthwhile to me as a fan. He elevated the match quality in the mid-card, but that was about it. They didn't try to make anything of him the way Gabe would do with someone when he got them on loan from Dragon Gate or NOAH for 6-8 months.
White’s excursion seemed to be an odd cocktail of genuine excitement from ROH and forced protection from behalf of New Japan. He was booked much stronger than a young talent tends to in the company, but could never claim momentum being in feuds that yielded no payoffs. It’s a strange creative tactic to book someone strong for its own sake, and that's, regrettably, what we saw.

A possible direction the company could have gone in was to push White very hard as the next breakout star, advertising ROH as his ground floor to success. Sure, eventually he goes back to New Japan, but his return matches in ROH would be received as big babyface homecomings. The company should generally treat excursion talent more generously, though White in particular should have gotten labored work put into him, as the whole wrestling community is waiting for his star to ascend. Instead, he had mostly three star matches for a year in a half-baked, mostly non-committal, undercard workrate faction.
Yeah man, it's almost too little too late now with the Punishment Martinez feud which I am enjoying for the most part.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Me too. Punishment/White is one my bright spots this year. Wonder what's next for Punishment--I think he has an obvious upside (barring his Todd McFarlane/KoЯn look, of course).
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

Damn shame if he doesn't keep coming into ROH.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Wilson wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:55 am Me too. Punishment/White is one my bright spots this year. Wonder what's next for Punishment--I think he has an obvious upside (barring his Todd McFarlane/KoЯn look, of course).
Todd McFarlane? You and I know too much of the same shit. Fantastic artist, terrible writer.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

McFarlane reaches astounding levels of cheeseballness.

https://twitter.com/MinovskyArticle/sta ... 4522917888
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Wilson wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:59 am McFarlane reaches astounding levels of cheeseballness.

https://twitter.com/MinovskyArticle/sta ... 4522917888
Wow. I didn't realize how spot on your use of cheeseballness was going to be until I looked at that.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

WWE asking fans who they should sign and then ultimately use in a very disappointing fashion.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

I'm not sure this is an official WWE survey, is from a website called WWE Fan Council.
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

I laughed at Angelina Love being featured but not Davey Richards. Good lord.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

Why was KUSHIDA listed twice?
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

AlexROH wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:33 pm I'm not sure this is an official WWE survey, is from a website called WWE Fan Council.
If you click the privacy policy on their website it redirects here:
http://www.wwe.com/main-help/generalfaq/privacy-policy

So I assume this is in some way endorsed by WWE.
King of Indy Style

Post by King of Indy Style »

I feel like that if that was a WWE endorsed list they'd at least spell Will Ospreay's name right. Probably just a fan page of WWE marks that want to see all the good talent get watered down, misused and made shitty.

Will Osprey. LMAO
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

King of Indy Style wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:23 pm I feel like that if that was a WWE endorsed list they'd at least spell Will Ospreay's name right. Probably just a fan page of WWE marks that want to see all the good talent get watered down, misused and made shitty.

Will Osprey. LMAO
https://www.facebook.com/wwe/posts/10151153807976443

WWE Fan Council is official.

So you were giving WWE too much credit.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

This list is fucking stupid. Nakamura works in the WWE because of his charisma. Takahashi, Okada, and maybe KUSHIDA​; wouldn't​ do jack shit in the WWE because they wouldn't know what to do with them. They fucked up how they handled Austin Aries, can you imagine how they would eviscerate Takahashi?
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

The Briscoes and Young Bucks would be even worse.
maxx_powerz

Post by maxx_powerz »

If it's WWE affiliated, isn't this tampering? I guess not, but it feels weird.
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

"Scrull"
King of Indy Style

Post by King of Indy Style »

Good lord, the more I look at this list, it looks like it was made by complete dolts that know nothing but the WWE. Angelia Love.....jesus.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

But again, WWE Fan Council is an official WWE thing.