ALL PURPOSE CONTRACT STATUS/POTENTIAL DEPARTURES THREAD

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
The Dragon Saga

Re: ALL PURPOSE CONTRACT STATUS/POTENTIAL DEPARTURES THREAD

Post by The Dragon Saga »

Is Madison Rayne really any good though? I saw her match with Su Yung from Slammiversary and it wasn't very good.

She's a hard worker and in the last couple of years her touring schedule is impressive but I wouldn't personally have Madison Rayne in the same category of wrestler as Deonna, Tenille, Karen, etc
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

PWInsider.com has confirmed that Ring of Honor has signed Joey Matthews (aka Joey Mercury during his time in WWE) to a deal to work for the company both as a trainer at their training academy but also as a producer behind the scenes. Matthews has always had a great mind for the business so this is a big positive for the company.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

The Dragon Saga wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:34 am Is Madison Rayne really any good though? I saw her match with Su Yung from Slammiversary and it wasn't very good.

She's a hard worker and in the last couple of years her touring schedule is impressive but I wouldn't personally have Madison Rayne in the same category of wrestler as Deonna, Tenille, Karen, etc
She's not an elite in-ring performer but she's very good, and she's experienced and savvy enough to make any kind of match with any opponent work well.

She's a perfect midcarder for a division like ROH. She would fit perfectly in the role Sumie was in before she got her victory lap title reign.
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

Eh, I've seen Sumie put on really good matches. I'm not a huge fan of Sumie but she's a very good wrestler. I've not seen any indication that Madison is as good or even good. That's from what I have seen. No idea how shes been doing out on the indies. She seems to be hustling so good for her.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Shit is getting serious:
Off the heels of the uber-successful All In show last weekend, many of the event's stars are in a unique position as upcoming free agents.

The Young Bucks, Nick and Matt Jackson haven't made it much of a secret that they're going to explore their options. Cody has stated the group will remain together, but a WWE source has told Fightful that signing Kenny Omega, The Young Bucks, and possibly even Cody is considered a "priority" for WWE, as they want any potential game changers under contract.

When speaking to Fightful.com, The Young Bucks didn't hold back about their contract situation.

"Contract season's here, right? I think it's been 20 years since there's been wrestlers who have the leverage that we currently have. We're aware of that, we know the position that we have. Next year will be the year we get paid, no matter where we're wrestling," said Matt Jackson.

The duo are currently working with both Ring of Honor and New Japan Pro Wrestling, where they've become major draws. Nick said that their options moving forward are a plenty.

"I think everyone wants to sign us right now, which is a good problem to have. It shows that the interest is high. It's great for us," said Nick.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

I will continue to believe they're all staying until proven otherwise.
thebrettclark

Post by thebrettclark »

Until these guys actually sign elsewhere I’m assuming this is just trolling.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Meltzer:

Add Christopher Daniels & Frankie Kazarian to the list of those who haven’t signed new deals for 2019 after being offered contracts. Daniels just indicated that he hasn’t made any decision yet. I don’t think any regular on Being the Elite has signed a new deal, although Flip Gordon just signed a two-year ROH contract and Marty Scurll has months left
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

AlexROH wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:23 am Meltzer:

Add Christopher Daniels & Frankie Kazarian to the list of those who haven’t signed new deals for 2019 after being offered contracts. Daniels just indicated that he hasn’t made any decision yet. I don’t think any regular on Being the Elite has signed a new deal, although Flip Gordon just signed a two-year ROH contract and Marty Scurll has months left
At the moment it looks like all those guys will never sign a contract again and they will be freelancers everywhere, it also allows them to run their promotion or a regular idea of All In, which I can still connect to ROH or wherever they want to go.

Overall it will hopefully lend itself to younger, skilled talent coming in and developing, it's like is getting ROH back to it's routes and I can still see it being successfull.
maxx_powerz

Post by maxx_powerz »

I think rovert is implying that Silas Young is leaving for NXT on Twitter. Even though it seems like they sign some guys just to sign them (Hero comes to mind), not really sure what NXT would want with Young as a wrestler. Him going as a trainer or producer or something like Pearce and Corino would make more sense (he's pretty much the same age as Pearce).

I do think he's probably been as high up the card as he can be here in ROH, so now seems like it would make sense for both parties to move on. He's always struck me as filling a solid Jimmy Rave style heel role, but now that ROH looks serious about pushing Taven as an upper card singles in the same type of spot, it feels like Silas would probably be stuck where he is now as a best case scenario moving forward, and maybe just a glorified job guy to get new talent over as a worst case.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Silas going would be a shame as he's really been a great assest to ROH from all aspects but considering his age and the time frame he has in his career it would be a no brainer for him really. ROH managed to fill the punishment Martinez role with Cobb, maybe Brody Lee is Silas's I dont know but if he isn't ROH needs to find another guy, but they should be used to it by now, they've had to do it constantly.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Silas going to NXT:

"PWTorch has confirmed that ROH wrestler Silas Young is expected to sign with WWE in January once his ROH contract expires at the end of December".

Lethal just re-signed:

"Ring of Honor Champion Jay Lethal has signed a new deal with the company, PWInsider.com has confirmed with multiple sources. Lethal's current deal was set to expire at the end of the year".
rovert1

Post by rovert1 »

I suggest reading/listening to the midweek NXT Triple H conference call. He used to say that NXT wasn't going to be a career for anyone. Now he is saying that many NXT signees won't make the main roster and will exist in the NXT ecosystem.

They ARE signing people just to sign them. And are targetting ROH just to hurt them. There is value in Punishment Martinez and Silas Young but if WWE wanted wanted them they would have signed them years ago.

For the record, I am not aware of any other ROH roster member NXT bound. ROH should promptly re-sign who they want to keep this contract season rather than typically stringing them along. A disgruntled ROH talent could easily ring NXT and get a contract these days.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

well,,,thats really sad...wwe is sad.

see you lather...silas.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

monster mafia wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:59 pm
see you lather...silas.
Are you providing him soap and a rinse on his way out?

On a more serious note, I have always liked Silas, but at his age, if he wants a shot at NXT, more power to him. They aren't really doing anything with him in ROH other than playing second banana to Bully Ray. Young is a solid wrestler and great heel. He will be missed, but I highly suspect we might see him back in ROH.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:35 pm
monster mafia wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:59 pm
see you lather...silas.
Are you providing him soap and a rinse on his way out?

On a more serious note, I have always liked Silas, but at his age, if he wants a shot at NXT, more power to him. They aren't really doing anything with him in ROH other than playing second banana to Bully Ray. Young is a solid wrestler and great heel. He will be missed, but I highly suspect we might see him back in ROH.
:lol: :lol: sorry.
Memphis Mark

Post by Memphis Mark »

A couple of points. The WWE has spent millions on NXT . It does not produce a profit , it is a loser. When the WWE produces a bad quarter , their investors will want cost reductions. NXT needs to produce a profit or they will be cuts..

In reality all the WWE is doing is wasting their shareholders money by signing all of this talent. Talent that they don't need and the labor cost is a drag in the bottom line.

It is foolhardy for the WWE to think they can harm SBGI by signing ROH talent. SBGI is not WCW or TNA , they won't be baited into a bidding war for talent. In the end all this will do is force the ROH office to get on their backside and do their job. Also the WWE will blow millions of dollars on unneeded talent.

The WWE has signed a large number of ROH , NJPW and CMLL talent in an effort to keep the market from having a viable alternative to their vision of " sports entertainment " . However signing all of these talents to stick them in catering
and off SBGI TV screens will backfire in the end.

There will always be a Cody Rhodes , Juice Robinson , Trent or PAC on the horizon . Just like there will always be a Zack Sabre , JR , Jeff Cobb , Mark Haskins or Brody King waiting in the wings. One thing about working for the WWE is that you have to work for the McMahon family and their stooges . Some people can handle the McMahon culture , however some run for the exit with their hair on fire.

Either ROH will be creative and find new talent to carry their brand or the business will decline. I betting that ROH will find a fresh new batch of talent and the company won't miss a beat . The predatory tactics of the WWE are bad business for all of wrestling. The WWE should really focus on maximize profits and reducing costs . You know , sound business practices that reward their shareholders.
LJimmy

Post by LJimmy »

Memphis Mark wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:42 pm A couple of points. The WWE has spent millions on NXT . It does not produce a profit , it is a loser. When the WWE produces a bad quarter , their investors will want cost reductions. NXT needs to produce a profit or they will be cuts..

In reality all the WWE is doing is wasting their shareholders money by signing all of this talent. Talent that they don't need and the labor cost is a drag in the bottom line.

It is foolhardy for the WWE to think they can harm SBGI by signing ROH talent. SBGI is not WCW or TNA , they won't be baited into a bidding war for talent. In the end all this will do is force the ROH office to get on their backside and do their job. Also the WWE will blow millions of dollars on unneeded talent.

The WWE has signed a large number of ROH , NJPW and CMLL talent in an effort to keep the market from having a viable alternative to their vision of " sports entertainment " . However signing all of these talents to stick them in catering
and off SBGI TV screens will backfire in the end.

There will always be a Cody Rhodes , Juice Robinson , Trent or PAC on the horizon . Just like there will always be a Zack Sabre , JR , Jeff Cobb , Mark Haskins or Brody King waiting in the wings. One thing about working for the WWE is that you have to work for the McMahon family and their stooges . Some people can handle the McMahon culture , however some run for the exit with their hair on fire.

Either ROH will be creative and find new talent to carry their brand or the business will decline. I betting that ROH will find a fresh new batch of talent and the company won't miss a beat . The predatory tactics of the WWE are bad business for all of wrestling. The WWE should really focus on maximize profits and reducing costs . You know , sound business practices that reward their shareholders.
It's tricky since there haven't been any main roster cuts his year with the exception of a few who were fired for disciplinary reasons. They actually do fire people from NXT whenever new clasess report to the PC 3-4 times a year. It did happen around the time of the last 2 classes. A lot of people may not be aware since the people they fire are wrestlers who most have never heard of. The types who started the with little to no experience.

If anybody does end up outside of the WWE system it is more likely to come if someone chooses to leave when their contracts expire. It's very obvious they know who to get rid of and who not to get rid of to avoid another Cody or Juice. If they do main rosters cuts they would most likely drop people like the Ascension or Rhyno. The last time they did main roster firings for budget reasons was a year or so ago where they cut people like Ellsworth and Darren Young,
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

The good thing is it forces ROH's hand to find talent to replace the guys and considering most of that will have to be young guys, unless Tommy Dreamer or Sandman which I don't think is likely, it's never a bad thing. It's plain sad that WWE, Tripple H finds the need to do it, but it can always be made into a possitive if the money is there to bring in the top talent.

With everything that's happening it will be interesting to see what talent does come in.