ALL PURPOSE CONTRACT STATUS/POTENTIAL DEPARTURES THREAD

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
WHG

Re: ALL PURPOSE CONTRACT STATUS/POTENTIAL DEPARTURES THREAD

Post by WHG »

I actually think Daddiego was bad enough to be problematic. In my mind the two things that really damage the core of the ROH brand are: a) World Champions that aren't elite workers that can carry great main events. Sadly Cody's box office success likely set a path on this where that title will never mean that again; and 2) The bottom of the card guys who are regularly booked should be at least competent in-ring.

To me there is a lot of room for mediocre midcard talent and as long as the ceiling at the top of the card is high and the floor isn't too low. In recent months they've kind of gone the direction of a roster of mostly very good midcard talent.

In the ring, Daddiego was embarrassing to watch.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

WHG wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:50 pm I actually think Daddiego was bad enough to be problematic. In my mind the two things that really damage the core of the ROH brand are: a) World Champions that aren't elite workers that can carry great main events. Sadly Cody's box office success likely set a path on this where that title will never mean that again; and 2) The bottom of the card guys who are regularly booked should be at least competent in-ring.

To me there is a lot of room for mediocre midcard talent and as long as the ceiling at the top of the card is high and the floor isn't too low. In recent months they've kind of gone the direction of a roster of mostly very good midcard talent.

Couldn't agree more. I'm hoping that Cheeseburger, a novelty act with a shelf life that expired eons ago, is next.

Maybe they are trimming the fat on the bottom of the card and overhauling it. The Dawgs, a comedy act for sure, work well together. We will see.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:37 pm
WHG wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:50 pm I actually think Daddiego was bad enough to be problematic. In my mind the two things that really damage the core of the ROH brand are: a) World Champions that aren't elite workers that can carry great main events. Sadly Cody's box office success likely set a path on this where that title will never mean that again; and 2) The bottom of the card guys who are regularly booked should be at least competent in-ring.

Couldn't agree more. I'm hoping that Cheeseburger, a novelty act with a shelf life that expired eons ago, is next.

Maybe they are trimming the fat on the bottom of the card and overhauling it. The Dawgs, a comedy act for sure, work well together. We will see.
I disagree about The Dawgs. Rhett works. Ferrara is a generic dude thrust into this role.
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

Not gonna happen. As long as Burger's co-training at the Dojo, he's not going anywhere.

What they need to do is stop using him as a novelty act and start booking him like ROH's Mikey Whipwreck. Not eventually winning the world title, but an underdog who can put up a fight.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

People like Cheeseburger. He isn't hurting anything winning one match per year.
Big Red Machine

TYFDK wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:40 pm Not gonna happen. As long as Burger's co-training at the Dojo, he's not going anywhere.

What they need to do is stop using him as a novelty act and start booking him like ROH's Mikey Whipwreck. Not eventually winning the world title, but an underdog who can put up a fight.
I believe Ferrara is (or at least was) training there as well. You're spot on about what they should do with Burger, though. That's kind of what they had been doing with him in 2013 and 2014.... then Delirious stopped putting any effort into the booking.
Zhuge1

Post by Zhuge1 »

According to this, Alex Shelley's contract has expired and he'll be out at least the rest of this year:

https://411mania.com/wrestling/alex-she ... t-expires/
KL_

Post by KL_ »

supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Observer:
[WWE] also has great interest in Juice Robinson. Robinson has started to appear the last few weeks as a cast member in Being the Elite, which seems to be the best avenue to raise the American profile for an independent wrestler. It didn’t work out for Robinson the first time he was there, but even then, in Dusty Rhodes’ interview classes he was considered the best. His current profile is the biggest it’s ever been by far based off the reaction to his interviews and his recent matches, particularly the Cow Palace match with Jay White and the reaction it got. A number of New Japan regulars actually aren’t under contract, similar to A.J. Styles when he was there, so legally WWE can approach them without it being tampering. Others it has to be more nuanced, but they are making plays right now. Another name that has been talked about once again, although they’ve talked about him on-and-off-for years, and at first the hold-up was his Lucha Underground contract, is Angelico
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Juice flat out said recently that he "ain't ever going back to WWE"
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

famicommander wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:52 am Juice flat out said recently that he "ain't ever going back to WWE"
He said it yesterday. Post his G1 match.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

The Dragon Saga wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:01 am
famicommander wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:52 am Juice flat out said recently that he "ain't ever going back to WWE"
He said it yesterday. Post his G1 match.
Saw that, too. Juice going back to the WWE would be just fucking dumb on his part. I think a lot of guys who have left enjoy the creative freedom over the money.
maxx_powerz

Post by maxx_powerz »

Plus, I don't think Juice is at a level yet where he'd be guaranteed for the second go round to be any better. Him going back now, it could go like it did for Hero.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

PW Insider reported on Monday morning that Flip Gordon recently agreed to an extension with ROH that will keep him as a contracted member of the roster through 2020.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

Roh is the place to be
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Madison Rayne confirmed for the Mae Young Classic.

That's Rayne, Deonna Purrazzo, and Karen Q from WOH already announced. And, going way back to the old school WOH, Mercedes Martinez as well.

Step your game up, ROH. Under no circumstances can they afford to lose Dashwood or Klein at this point. They need new blood and they need the better Dojo graduates like Brooks and Grey to step up.
Big Red Machine

Are we really concerned about them losing Madison Rayne?
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

She's better than most of the roster, so yeah...
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

It looks like Deonna has been signed while Karen and Rayne are doing a test run. My complaints with the division basically remain the same as in 2016.
Zhuge1

Post by Zhuge1 »

I wonder if the Purazzo signing was known ahead of time, perhaps that's why she didn't win the WOH tournament?