ALL PURPOSE CONTRACT STATUS/POTENTIAL DEPARTURES THREAD

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
dhads7161

Re: ALL PURPOSE CONTRACT STATUS/POTENTIAL DEPARTURES THREAD

Post by dhads7161 »

Could see some of the guys from SOTF coming in. Williams, Delaney, Everett, Black would be solid additions to the mid card.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

Doesn't Delirious live in St. Louis? There is no reason he shouldn't be able to find quality independent talent in that area for ROH.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Some good points by Memphis Mark and Rovert. A few thoughts i had.

In regards to NXT not being profitable.... I don't think it matters to WWE if NXT is profitable, and i'm sure they could generate more profits if they wanted. If they really wanted they would throw NXT on FS1 or some other channel for a nice TV deal, BUT then that hurts the WWE network slightly. The other thing the development is doing (other than buying up unneeded talent) your investing in the future. Maybe Adam Cole is the next Stone Cold. He could make the company hundreds of millions in the future, and then that would look like a WWE profit and not NXT, even though in reality some of that count towards the cost of NXT. Kind of like College and student loans.

My concern is NXT should be a "developmental" company, and clearly NXT is not ran like that. I'm pretty sure over half of takeover's show was former ROH guys, and that doesn't include guys like Gargano, Riddle, Riccochett whom they took from Evolve. With WWE signing a ton of indy great talent, it currently doesn't have room for the next John Cena/Batista (Green wrestler, learning how to work) . These guys don't stand a chance against someone like a Silas Young, who's wrestled for 20 years.

It's good that ROH doesn't try to directly compete with NXT/WWE. Eventually WWE will drop some talent, and/or talent will leave and ROH will be waiting. ROH can provide a steady paycheck with a limited schedule. On top of that, the wrestler has more control over their character/direction. Allows wrestlers to work internationally.

Agree 100% with this "There will always be a Cody Rhodes , Juice Robinson , Trent or PAC on the horizon . Just like there will always be a Zack Sabre , JR , Jeff Cobb , Mark Haskins or Brody King waiting in the wings. One thing about working for the WWE is that you have to work for the McMahon family and their stooges . Some people can handle the McMahon culture , however some run for the exit with their hair on fire."

Doesn't sound like guys like the Rusev, and the Revival are too happy. I'm pretty sure Ceasaro/Dolph aren't that happy with their direction, but probably like the pay check.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

NXT is fine. Gates for these shows aren't meant to make their profits. (In the tech industry, it's totally reasonable for new products to not make money on selling the hardware alone.) NXT develops the talent and is a major attraction for the network. The problem is their weekly TV shows taking away all of the goodwill built in developing talent.
Memphis Mark

Post by Memphis Mark »

NXT has lost 32 millions dollars in the last two years. That is bad business by any standard . Do Roderick Strong , Adam Cole and Booby Fish really need to attend wrestling school ? The answer would be no.

The WWE could cherry pick a handle of talents from NJPW , ROH , CMLL , Impact , MLW and the indies every year. Sign the difference makers and bring them to the main roster immediately . The new talent can be taught the nuances of WWE Tv production while actually drawing money for the company.

I met the late , great Lance Russell many years ago. Lance and I worked out at the same gym. Lance said the it was stupid for Vince to force out the other territories. The smaller territories were a free source of new talent. It just like the the NFL . The NCAA is the NFL 's farm club. The colleges develop the next wave of talent for the NFL , free of charge.

This is not a high tech business, it is wrestling. The WWE is failing their shareholders by wasting capital on their Florida training school. NXT is really about maintaining total control of the wrestling business. That ship has sailed . There is too much money to be made providing new content. There will continue to be disruption in the wrestling business. It is the digital age .

The Wall Street investment firms that hold WWE stock are going pot NXT under their microscope when the WWE starts to produce bad quarters. If I was Triple H and would look to cut the fat out of NXT and turn into a profitable brand , ASAP.

However , I am not a stockholder, so if Vince and his son in law want to continue to lose millions on a vanity project, it is okay with me.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

AlexROH wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:23 am Meltzer:

Add Christopher Daniels & Frankie Kazarian to the list of those who haven’t signed new deals for 2019 after being offered contracts. Daniels just indicated that he hasn’t made any decision yet. I don’t think any regular on Being the Elite has signed a new deal, although Flip Gordon just signed a two-year ROH contract and Marty Scurll has months left
And right after ROH kayfabe announced that Kaz had done so, meaning we might wind up with Kaz having "signed a new contract" and then disappearing anyway. Whoops.
Big Red Machine

I'm fine with Silas leaving.

As for NXT not being "developmental," that is not true. But at the moment, most of the developing takes place on the Florida loop shows rather than on the NXT TV show, which has become a sort of separate entity (even though it's not supposed to be).
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

All Elite Wrestling, LLC has filed several trademarks in the past week or so and the trademarks certainly give more credibility to the rumored wrestling promotion headed by Tony Khan, the co-owner of the Jacksonville Jaguars. For those of you that have not kept up with this story, the rumor is that Jim Ross, Chris Jericho, The Young Bucks, Cody Rhodes, Marty Scurll, Hangman Page and Kenny Omega would be part of the company.

The following trademarks were filed within the last week by All Elite Wrestling, LLC:

– AEW Double Or Nothing
– AEW All Out
– AEW
– Tuesday Night Dynamite
– ALL OUT
– Double Or Nothing
– All Elite Wrestling

Double Or Nothing is the rumored name for the next All In pay-per-view. The idea is to run the show in Las Vegas, NV. There’s been talk of All In 3 happening on Labor Day. Tuesday Night Dynamite could be a sign that they have a weekly TV deal lined up.

According to the trademark filings, All Elite Wrestling, LLC is based out of Jacksonville, FL. That would also align with the rumors about the Khan family being involved.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Well, All Elite Wrestling is a reality so that means no Cody, Bucks, Hangman or Omega next year;

I am happy with that. I mean, that's what The Elite wants to do, plus, will let ROH change a little its roster and their shows won't be so BC focused. Interesting too to see how will G1 Supercard card bc I'm pretty sure The Elite won't be at that show.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

all of this creates a new dynamic for ROH, let's wait and see the outcome..
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Starting to get a birth of NOAH vibe sans backstage resentment.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

If all in was a test run to see how it is run promotion then I think it's a little wrong for the elite to use roh and njpw for all in then leave them high and dry to start their own promotion
Big Red Machine

Chrisvegas27 wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:36 am If all in was a test run to see how it is run promotion then I think it's a little wrong for the elite to use roh and njpw for all in then leave them high and dry to start their own promotion
Agreed.
Memphis Mark

Post by Memphis Mark »

This is all good . The Elite are not going to the WWE . The guys have secure capital to create another long term option for the Boys. The fans will get more variety in their wrestling choices. . The suits at SBGI will be forced to get off their ass and put real capital into ROH. If they don't they might as well sell to out to McMahon.

The Elite have been carrying ROH for awhile. Those guys worked miracles around Delirious bad booking. Maybe this will be positive change to ROH .
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Honestly it's kind of nice to not have the elite stuff in ROH, it was all getting a bit much and I'd rather seperate it as something I can just dip into when I want too. It gives ROH the chance to really push something else for a while and hopefully develop new young guys.

It will be interesting to see the Elite get signed up considering so many guys out there (who are viable draws)are on contracts with other companies that have TV already, will any of them allow their talent to be on their shows too. My only wondering is ROH is fully aware of this and is actually co-operating with these guys and we will actually get quite alot of crossover in the end, it could actually be a way for ROH to appear on cable if they do have a TV deal which has obviously been a struggle for them. The move to Florida or being based out Florida is again an interesting move that I'm sure NXT is well aware of.

Talent I can see as a definite for the promotion apart from the Elite are, SCU, Penta el Zero M, Rey Fenix, Bandido, PJ Black, Matt Cross, Joey Ryan, (Jericho, maybe) I guess Janela and Stunt will be in when they recover, and three to four other guys depending on who they are looking for. If though ROH is actively searching for Talent as is MLW, Impact, let alone WWE/NXT, the pickings of talent is going to be thin and people are going to have to take risks.
Big Red Machine

I imagine they'd take Flip with them as well.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Big Red Machine wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:47 am I imagine they'd take Flip with them as well.
Flip is on a two year contract with ROH from now and unless there is a working agreement that aint happening.
rovert1

Post by rovert1 »

AWE/Khan is offering "life changing" money while ROH is operating on whatever Sinclair budgets them. The understatement of the decade is that obviously the next few months will be really interesting.

Especially who New Japan sides with over the next year.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

rovert1 wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:54 pm AWE/Khan is offering "life changing" money while ROH is operating on whatever Sinclair budgets them. The understatement of the decade is that obviously the next few months will be really interesting.

If NJ breaks the partnership with ROH to go with AEW they'll make a big mistake, I don't see them doing that tbh.
Big Red Machine

AlexROH wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:48 pm
rovert1 wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:54 pm AWE/Khan is offering "life changing" money while ROH is operating on whatever Sinclair budgets them. The understatement of the decade is that obviously the next few months will be really interesting.

If NJ breaks the partnership with ROH to go with AEW they'll make a big mistake, I don't see them doing that tbh.
I do, though not necessarily this year. I think they'll want to see how capable AEW are of running shows in a smooth manner when they have more than one show to concentrate on. But once AEW has proven that, I don't see why NJPW wouldn't dump ROH for them if that's where pretty much everyone NJPW wants to use anyway (Cody, Bucks, Page, Omega if he is part of this). As excellent as Lethal and the Briscoes are, they really haven't gotten over in Japan for some reason. And once that NJPW switches allegiances, each of the remaining guys they want to use who would still be under contract to ROH at that point (Marty, Flip, maybe SCU, Sabin, Cobb, and Best Friends) will jump one by one as their contracts expire.