ALL PURPOSE CONTRACT STATUS/POTENTIAL DEPARTURES THREAD

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
KL_

Re: ALL PURPOSE CONTRACT STATUS/POTENTIAL DEPARTURES THREAD

Post by KL_ »

I never liked Kevin Kelly as a commentator. But I wish him well in his future.
McXal
Donator
Donator

Post by McXal »

I absolutely despised Kevin Kelly's commentary, and found it uniformly atrocious for the entirety of his ROH run. Dated, poorly researched, ridden with inaccurate cliches, lazily rehashing the same phrases over and over again for months on end, failing to tell stories properly, ignoring the action to crack the same unfunny jokes with his co-commentator on every show, even dragging down Steve Corino (whom I did like). I could genuinely go on for some time about quite how terrible I found him, and how much less I've liked the ROH product with his voice droning away over the top.

I met him at the UK shows last year, and to his credit he was incredibly nice, ultra professional and actually came off as far more knowledgeable and engaged than he ever did on camera/headset. However, whilst he seemed like a thoroughly nice guy, I can't pretend I'm not rejoicing that he's gone.

Sort of hoping with him gone Riccaboni starts showing more personality and stops trying to be a younger, shinier replica of Kevin Kelly's style
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Always hated his inability to properly indie t drama and emotion even during the Silkin era.
rovert1

Post by rovert1 »

There's an NXT taping and medicals today.
SweetDaddy

Post by SweetDaddy »

I started watching ROH with Kelly and Corino and IMO the product has suffered a good bit without them.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

McXal wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:43 am I absolutely despised Kevin Kelly's commentary, and found it uniformly atrocious for the entirety of his ROH run. Dated, poorly researched, ridden with inaccurate cliches, lazily rehashing the same phrases over and over again for months on end, failing to tell stories properly, ignoring the action to crack the same unfunny jokes with his co-commentator on every show, even dragging down Steve Corino (whom I did like). I could genuinely go on for some time about quite how terrible I found him, and how much less I've liked the ROH product with his voice droning away over the top.

I met him at the UK shows last year, and to his credit he was incredibly nice, ultra professional and actually came off as far more knowledgeable and engaged than he ever did on camera/headset. However, whilst he seemed like a thoroughly nice guy, I can't pretend I'm not rejoicing that he's gone.

Sort of hoping with him gone Riccaboni starts showing more personality and stops trying to be a younger, shinier replica of Kevin Kelly's style
Yep. This is perfect. Kevin Kelly was wretched. Him trying to make sense of the Cody/Corino/Sullivan feud was unintentionally hilarious. At least Riccaboni gets the wrestling holds right most of the time and doesn't get distracted with bullshit.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

rovert1 wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:11 am There's an NXT taping and medicals today.
I know you knew something...

I'm happy to see Kyle O'Reilly living his dream. Hope we can see more reDRagon stuff on NXT.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

AlexROH wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:05 pm
rovert1 wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:11 am There's an NXT taping and medicals today.
I know you knew something...

I'm happy to see Kyle O'Reilly living his dream. Hope we can see more reDRagon stuff on NXT.
Good for Kyle. Interested in what their plans are for him. They couldn't possibly book him any worse than what Delirious did to him his last 2 years in ROH.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

NXT OF HONOR.
SweetDaddy

Post by SweetDaddy »

If they'll take O'Reilly then they'll take anybody.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

I'm happy for O'Reilly but I still think WWE's product is terrible top to bottom right now, and it has nothing to do with the talent. Adding more talent doesn't address the problem.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

I never got everyone's obsession with O'Reilly. Yeah he had a great feud over the years with Cole but Cole carried that feud and reDRagon was awesome but he really isn't that great as a solo as everyone thinks.
SweetDaddy

Post by SweetDaddy »

Amen.

There's a reason they signed O'Reilly and Fish.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Well I'm glad it's finally happened for all involved, it's great for all those guys and I hope it clears up a lot of feelings from ROH to the guys and the guys feelings towards ROH. It will be interesting to see where they all go from here and if they have the same feelings towards there booking as they have in ROH if it doesn't suit them.

Although I don't know the result with O'Reily and Black if they are just jobbing both of Red Dragon out to him it isn't the best start for all involved.

Much of it just feels like stock pilling and getting that name in just because.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Dijak was seen by some fans at the NXT tapings. So yeah, he's next.

Plus, Wrestling Observer said that Jay White will come back to NJPW very, very soon. He'll be push as a mid/uppercarder heavyweight wrestler. He should be working full-time with NJPW comming the Destruction shows. So yeah, another loss in ROH.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

O'Reilly doesn't necessarily need to be in reDRagon, but he does need to move away from the being The Wrestler Who You Should Never Doubt as Being Very Serious. Of course, reDRagon is the best utilization them both for the time being.

I understand why ROH wouldn't want to invest too much in Jay White, yet I think we could have gotten a few more marquee matches from him. Overall, I guess ROH treated him pretty OK. Everyone was pretty much waiting for him to break out, and we really only received a glimpse of that against Ospreay. What Punishment does next could be interesting?
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

famicommander wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:36 pm I'm happy for O'Reilly but I still think WWE's product is terrible top to bottom right now, and it has nothing to do with the talent. Adding more talent doesn't address the problem.
Signing guys just to sign guys doesn't really help either. When you have too much talent and someone has to lose, you can ruin that character in the fans eyes. Then what did you get for that money? A sunk cost.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Wilson wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:56 am O'Reilly doesn't necessarily need to be in reDRagon, but he does need to move away from the being The Wrestler Who You Should Never Doubt as Being Very Serious. Of course, reDRagon is the best utilization them both for the time being.

I understand why ROH wouldn't want to invest too much in Jay White, yet I think we could have gotten a few more marquee matches from him. Overall, I guess ROH treated him pretty OK. Everyone was pretty much waiting for him to break out, and we really only received a glimpse of that against Ospreay. What Punishment does next could be interesting?
Personally I think ROH has done a very job with White, they have given him a huge amount of time on PPV, TV and given the him the room to grow and learn. Like anyone it takes time to find there balance with growing in a bigger role and body and e has started to find it now which is a shame as I would like to see him stay until the end of the year but hopefully he can have the blow off with Punishment and head over to NJPW.

It does free up another spot for ROH and like always there is talent out to use, ROH just has to pick the right one.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

McXal wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:43 am I absolutely despised Kevin Kelly's commentary, and found it uniformly atrocious for the entirety of his ROH run. Dated, poorly researched, ridden with inaccurate cliches, lazily rehashing the same phrases over and over again for months on end, failing to tell stories properly, ignoring the action to crack the same unfunny jokes with his co-commentator on every show, even dragging down Steve Corino (whom I did like). I could genuinely go on for some time about quite how terrible I found him, and how much less I've liked the ROH product with his voice droning away over the top.

I agree with everything you said, except that I thought Corino dragged Kevin down to even lower depths than Kevin would have hit by himself.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

BurningHammer wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:50 am
Wilson wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:56 am O'Reilly doesn't necessarily need to be in reDRagon, but he does need to move away from the being The Wrestler Who You Should Never Doubt as Being Very Serious. Of course, reDRagon is the best utilization them both for the time being.

Personally I think ROH has done a very job with White, they have given him a huge amount of time on PPV, TV and given the him the room to grow and learn. Like anyone it takes time to find there balance with growing in a bigger role and body and e has started to find it now which is a shame as I would like to see him stay until the end of the year but hopefully he can have the blow off with Punishment and head over to NJPW.

It does free up another spot for ROH and like always there is talent out to use, ROH just has to pick the right one.
They definitely gave him the time to shine, but they didn't really use him in a way that made his time feel particularly worthwhile to me as a fan. He elevated the match quality in the mid-card, but that was about it. They didn't try to make anything of him the way Gabe would do with someone when he got them on loan from Dragon Gate or NOAH for 6-8 months.