ALL PURPOSE CONTRACT STATUS/POTENTIAL DEPARTURES THREAD

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
King of Indy Style

Re: ALL PURPOSE CONTRACT STATUS/POTENTIAL DEPARTURES THREAD

Post by King of Indy Style »

Has Kenny appeared in the US since the 14th anniversary tapings last February? I know the last time he was in PWG was a couple months before that in December of 2015, but has he he worked any other US indies? Or has it been NJPW, and the occasional ROH/UK shot?
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

King of Indy Style wrote:Has Kenny appeared in the US since the 14th anniversary tapings last February? I know the last time he was in PWG was a couple months before that in December of 2015, but has he he worked any other US indies? Or has it been NJPW, and the occasional ROH/UK shot?
Yep, Cagematch corroborates that. But it's important to note that England and Canada bookings have been seldom. I just don't see the doors being blown wide open for US dates after his "visa settles" or anything along those lines.

I don't why he wasn't at the May shows, but we'll probably eventually see him at US ROH shows again as long as the ROH/NJPW remains intact.

EDIT: Crackpot theory: maybe ROH are the ones who have been lead to believe that it's a visa issue???
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

I bet it's a legal issue of some kind and they don't want to admit it so they are calling it a visa issue. Maybe Omega has an outstanding warrant or something.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Well, he would have at least gotten that sorted out for yesterday's press conference. Authors that do international press tours receive artist visas from their publishers. I imagine this is at least something similar.

I think what the Observer has been reporting is ultra messed-up.
rovert1

Post by rovert1 »

monster mafia wrote:
Get over it
That's rich.
King of Indy Style wrote:If Omega was allowed to work in the US, he would have popped up in PWG at least once.
There's no if. Also that the PWG thing doesn't prove anything besides you being a fan of the promotion.
rovert1

Post by rovert1 »

monster mafia wrote: this rovert guy have a battle with meltzer about good or bad info...so i understand.
If there's a battle Meltzer is losing it:

https://twitter.com/dajosc11/status/865267068970704897
rovert1

Post by rovert1 »

famicommander wrote:I bet it's a legal issue of some kind and they don't want to admit it so they are calling it a visa issue. Maybe Omega has an outstanding warrant or something.
No. Please don't defame him. He has a US Visa and has for a while.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

Wonder if there's another individial with Omega's real name who is some kind of international criminal?
rovert1

Post by rovert1 »

dhads7161 wrote:Wonder if there's another individial with Omega's real name who is some kind of international criminal?
Why? HE HAS A VISA.

Mike Johnson's thoughts:
I haven't heard nor do I ever recall reporting Omega had visa issues. I think it's more a case of ROH not bringing in Omega. There has been talk a few times over the last year of him coming in to work shows, including Supercard of Honor earlier this year, but then it never happened. That doesn't sound like a visa issue, because I don't believe New Japan would advertise him for July if they couldn't deliver. That's not how that company runs.
Roque11

Post by Roque11 »

I think any time now you will hear about Cole, Fish, O'Reilly and Dijack hooking up with New Japan USA. No matter what WWE still isn't legally allowed to talk to anybody. Plus, Fish still keeps taking ROH bookings. George Carroll created ReDRagon so they're going to follow him wherever he goes.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

After seeing more and more opinions on the never ending Omega speculation I am convinced that it's more of an issue with NJPW wanting to keep him exclusive for the U.S. brand expansion.
Buzz Sawyer

Post by Buzz Sawyer »

Wilson wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:But if the heat is between Omega and ROH why hasn't Omega worked for anyone else in the US? Just to keep his hatred for ROH a secret?
What seems most likely to me is that either Kenny wants to protect his health, wants to work on exclusive booking pattern, like top stars can afford to do, or, for whatever reason, isn't thrilled about working in ROH. I don't see anything conspiratorial in any of those, but, all in all, I think it is Kenny's choice.

Kenny might do BOLA again this year, and probably will only make sparse appearances in the US from thereon, just as he's done in the last year. I think any Visa process would have been down pat long ago because he's going to be IWGP champion in a few weeks. The match at Dominion wouldn't be booked if there were any doubts about Kenny.
Anyone think that the real reason Omega doesn't wrestle in the States is to keep his stock up really high and to drive up his price? It's a business and he wants to go to the company that pays him the most. If he's always wrestling in the States, then the allure of seeing him live will diminish.
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

Buzz Sawyer wrote:
Wilson wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:But if the heat is between Omega and ROH why hasn't Omega worked for anyone else in the US? Just to keep his hatred for ROH a secret?
What seems most likely to me is that either Kenny wants to protect his health, wants to work on exclusive booking pattern, like top stars can afford to do, or, for whatever reason, isn't thrilled about working in ROH. I don't see anything conspiratorial in any of those, but, all in all, I think it is Kenny's choice.

Kenny might do BOLA again this year, and probably will only make sparse appearances in the US from thereon, just as he's done in the last year. I think any Visa process would have been down pat long ago because he's going to be IWGP champion in a few weeks. The match at Dominion wouldn't be booked if there were any doubts about Kenny.
Anyone think that the real reason Omega doesn't wrestle in the States is to keep his stock up really high and to drive up his price? It's a business and he wants to go to the company that pays him the most. If he's always wrestling in the States, then the allure of seeing him live will diminish.

I'd be shocked if he isn't in WWE after Mania 34.
GardenStateSaint

Post by GardenStateSaint »

What was the last match Dijak worked in ROH?
Tomato cans don't stand a chance.
King of Indy Style

Post by King of Indy Style »

I think it was the TV Title match with Scurll.
jordidebaas

Post by jordidebaas »

If there really was a lot of heat between Omega and ROH, he wouldn't have worked the Toronto show this month. I think it's pretty clear what's going on here, Kenny just really hates America
I was in the front line when we battled page 15
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Who doesn't hate America? Not a rhetorical question actually after everything I've learned.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Observer:
Regarding Adam Cole, we’re told that WWE has still not offered any contracts to ex-ROH wrestlers based on whatever the legal issue regarding tampering has been that gave them cold feet. That said, Cole did finish up in ROH and on the indie scene, he’s not out there taking bookings like Kyle O’Reilly, Donovan Dijak, Bobby Fish and others are, and the feeling is that unless something changes, he’ll be in WWE, probably pushed as a major star on the NXT brand. Impact is also still making a play for him because they are looking for new hot talent and he’s a free agent. Right now Cole has no signed deal with anyone. That’s been expected for more than one year
Regarding Cody, the expectation in wrestling remains he’ll be a full-timer here soon although he had denied signing anything up to this point and has said there are different options on the table. He’s winding down on his U.S. indie dates which usually means either going to WWE (which he’s made abundantly clear he’s not doing plus he’s clearly part of New Japan plans going forward) or signing the ROH contracts that limit you to ROH and PWG within the U.S. and Ontario, but would allow him to continue to do international events. He worked over the weekend for House of Hardcore, but it was treated like it was his last show with the group, and he did a deal where he wrestled Tommy Dreamer (who coached him when he started and Dreamer first became a wrestling fan watching Dusty Rhodes vs. Pak Song on a vacation to Florida as a kid), and then they hugged and he turned heel on Dreamer. Because of his family’s closeness with Northeast Wrestling owner Michael Lombardi, Northeast Wrestling may be an exception, but right now Cody and Northeast Wrestling have confirmed dates through the end of August and it is up in the air past that point. All Pro Wrestling, the group that just ran the Cow Palace with him in the main event and he got the biggest reaction on the show, has him on a 7/7 date, but he’s not booked for the 9/30 show at the Cow Palace. As far as the situation with G-1 is concerned, this could be an explanation. He’s going for the title in the main event on the 6/23 PPV show from Lowell, MA. To me, Christopher Daniels isn’t meant to be a long-term champion, more of a guy to take it from Adam Cole, have a good feelgood story of him winning it as his career winds down since he was on the first ROH show, and had never held the title. They had to get the title off Cole at the time. Plus, Daniels just pinned him on the last PPV show, so they’ve already got that rematch set up if Cody ends up as champion. If he’s champion, I can see at least two obvious potential issues with G-1. One is that the company may not want its world champion gone for that much time. The second is the booking of G-1 itself. The company has made it clear in the past that it doesn’t want its world champion losing in singles matches on other group’s shows. As silly as that wound sound to some, WWE wouldn’t allow Alberto to lose his AAA championship in the ring in Mexico when he was U.S. champion in WWE, ROH was mad at Michael Elgin for losing years ago in the PWG Battle of Los Angeles tournament when he was champion, and New Japan has strict rules that the IWGP champion can’t be pinned in either singles or tag situations outside of New Japan, and most of the Japanese groups operate under similar rules. I believe Impact has that rule as well. Some hate it because they felt in particular when Styles was IWGP champion and doing tons of indie dates in between, that fans “knew” he wasn’t going to lose on their indie shows and were mad about it, but that’s protecting the value of the title mentality. In G-1, you have to lose, and he’d probably have to lose a minimum of three times, and maybe four times. In a company where wins and losses are booked to matter, having your champion lose several times clean in a tournament that much of your fan base will know about probably isn’t the right thing for your title from an old-school protecting the championship perspective
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Observer:
Dalton Castle’s contract is up this month. WWE has shown great interest in him so it will take a major offer to keep him. Castle is a tremendous live show performer and would have superstar potential in WWE.