ALL PURPOSE CONTRACT STATUS/POTENTIAL DEPARTURES THREAD

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Thelone

Re: ALL PURPOSE CONTRACT STATUS/POTENTIAL DEPARTURES THREAD

Post by Thelone »

BurningHammer wrote:Overall it just seems strange so many people are going nuts over guys contracts coming to an end.
That's what you get after mishandling so many guys in the last two years : people just don't care to see X or Y in ROH anymore, but they're interested in what they might do next elsewhere.
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Thelone wrote:
BurningHammer wrote:Overall it just seems strange so many people are going nuts over guys contracts coming to an end.
That's what you get after mishandling so many guys in the last two years : people just don't care to see X or Y in ROH anymore, but they're interested in what they might do next elsewhere.
I generally don't think it's a miss-handling overall, I do agree timing at times to the pull the trigger has been way off, but I do believe in some ways ROH has been hoisted by it's own petard as they have created stars that really interest the WWE and are currently all vying for similar positions. I do think if they are adding another championship that will help a lot with direction for quite a few, plus a clearing of the decks can be a good thing.

Roddy for example has been and done it all, he deserves that shot and in all honesty the Roddy you get here is likely the Roddy you will get anywhere so it can be only go so far. As long as they make the right decisions in bringing in new guys then i'm fine with whoever leaves.

Thankfully there is always talent looking to break through and i'm sure the next Strong or ACH can be found you just have to give them opportunity plus you never know, they may have more success.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

I was thinking similarly about Strong recently. He might put over Mark at the PPV and then someone like Kyle or Dalton at the tapings.

If ROH does lose him, it’s a pretty big loss. He’s one of the most reliable workers in recent history. It’s a shame that if he were just a little bit larger his fate would be much more secure. I really wish him luck out there.
Memphis Mark

Post by Memphis Mark »

I have been following wrestling for a long time. It always amazing that wrestlers perceive the WWE to be the promised land. Wrestling is a business and all in business whoever has the most leverage wins the game. Now that companies like ROH , NJPW and Lucha Underground are paying talent a living wage , the talent has leverage in contact negotiations with the WWE . Before everyone has just having to take the low paying WWE development deals .

The Young Bucks are already making uppercard WWE money with their ROH/ NJPW deal. Vince will really have to get off his wallet to get the Bucks. I hope the Bucks can make millions off McMahon , they have more than paid their dues.

It is understandable that the guys want to go to the WWE . The PPV payoffs and the gimmick money are great. However , the stronger NJPW , ROH and LU become , the money Vince will have to cough up to pay talent. Guys should not let the WWE have their services on the cheap just to reach their " dream " of being a WWE Superstar.

Guys that are thinking about leaving NJPW and/ or ROH should ask CM Punk , John Morrisson , PJ Black , Chavo Guerrero , Cody Rhodes , Wade Barrett , Paul London and Ryback what is it like to work for McMahon ?
Memphis Mark

Post by Memphis Mark »

It appears that Court Bauer is behind the WWE raiding ROH speculation. It would appear that Bauer is bitter because ROH fired him and is just trying to stir up crap .
Memphis Mark

Post by Memphis Mark »

Thelone wrote:

Well that what happens when you keep a booker too long. ROH should rotate booker on a yearly basis if they want to keep their product fresh. I would make Daniels the booker right now and keep Delirious on as a lower card talent. Delirious can come back and book down the line. Right now Delirious is burned out and relying on the NJPW talent to keep the business on the upswing.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

Memphis Mark wrote:
Thelone wrote:

Well that what happens when you keep a booker too long. ROH should rotate booker on a yearly basis if they want to keep their product fresh. I would make Daniels the booker right now and keep Delirious on as a lower card talent. Delirious can come back and book down the line. Right now Delirious is burned out and relying on the NJPW talent to keep the business on the upswing.
Totally disagree that this is a consequence of booker burnout. Who did Gabe mishandle? How about Pearce? (you could argue that he mishandled Tyler but that's about it). Who has been mishandled in NXT? Or New Japan? (arguably Goto). It's not always a consequence or a sign of burnout. A much bigger sign of burnout, IMO, is repeating the same ideas too often and having too many turns. When you are mishandling so many guys (Dijak, Sydal, ACH, Cedric, arguably Kyle, arguably War Machine, arguably Ciampa) that is a sign of incompetence.
LJimmy

Post by LJimmy »

I feel like there's speculation every year about Strong going somewhere else, yet he always sticks around.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

People do this since i started watching ROH back in the day
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

Memphis Mark wrote:I have been following wrestling for a long time. It always amazing that wrestlers perceive the WWE to be the promised land. Wrestling is a business and all in business whoever has the most leverage wins the game. Now that companies like ROH , NJPW and Lucha Underground are paying talent a living wage , the talent has leverage in contact negotiations with the WWE . Before everyone has just having to take the low paying WWE development deals .

The Young Bucks are already making uppercard WWE money with their ROH/ NJPW deal. Vince will really have to get off his wallet to get the Bucks. I hope the Bucks can make millions off McMahon , they have more than paid their dues.

It is understandable that the guys want to go to the WWE . The PPV payoffs and the gimmick money are great. However , the stronger NJPW , ROH and LU become , the money Vince will have to cough up to pay talent. Guys should not let the WWE have their services on the cheap just to reach their " dream " of being a WWE Superstar.

Guys that are thinking about leaving NJPW and/ or ROH should ask CM Punk , John Morrisson , PJ Black , Chavo Guerrero , Cody Rhodes , Wade Barrett , Paul London and Ryback what is it like to work for McMahon ?
LU is a money pit and isn't going to last much longer unless they find much more lucrative TV deals. ROH is NJPW's bitch, seems more keen to kill whatever buzz anyone has and bringing way too many WWE/TNA cast-offs than building new stars these days. As for NJPW, the valuable gaijin spots are pretty limited.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Observer:
Roderick Strong and Moose’s deals are up in a few weeks but I don’t believe that, officially, they are allowed to negotiate with other companies yet. Of course this is pro wrestling and you know how that goes. WWE had interest in Moose last year and logic would tell you it shouldn’t be different, considering he’s improved a lot, his name is bigger, and WWE needs to be adding talent right now.
LJimmy

Post by LJimmy »

supersonic wrote:Observer:
Roderick Strong and Moose’s deals are up in a few weeks but I don’t believe that, officially, they are allowed to negotiate with other companies yet. Of course this is pro wrestling and you know how that goes. WWE had interest in Moose last year and logic would tell you it shouldn’t be different, considering he’s improved a lot, his name is bigger, and WWE needs to be adding talent right now.
Just watch, they will renew like they did last year and like how everybody else does.

I bet they stick around. Just watch.

Also, what happened with Stokley Hathaway?
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

Misused like everybody else. I'm not saying he's the next Heenan or Heyman, but he's capable of way more than... whatever he's been doing with Moose.
STITCHES

Post by STITCHES »

ROH could just use new manager talent. Really. Nana, Hathaway, Martini and Scott have been around too long. Those personalities are tired by now.

I know, I know. Every talent Martini stands behind seems to succeed. Like we're not talking about a pre-determined outcome or anything. ;)
Memphis Mark

Post by Memphis Mark »

ROH should just let Moose out of his deal early. It is a waste of the company 's resources to continue booking this guy. If he wants to go to NXT , let him go now. He does not fit the ROH style .
WHG

Post by WHG »

Can't remember the last talent that I was hoping would leave like I am Moose. He's improved a lot, but doesn't really fit and has consumed too much of the spotlight the last two years.

I also feel like I did with Bennett and Maria (who I was more ambivalent towards) in that hopefully his departure frees up money to keep the next wave of guys who may leave (Roddy, ACH, etc...).
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Observer:
The talk continues involving both Roderick Strong and Moose. Moose wrote, “I will always have a special spot in my heart for ROH,” which read to me like he’s leaving. WWE or TNA would be the obvious choices and all kinds of things that happened at the last minute would indicate WWE as the favorites. In theory, there was interest from both sides in him although even today based on the contract, which is still in existence, any direct negotiations would be considered tampering. As noted, that kind of stuff happens all the time in wrestling no matter the legalese. TNA is offering higher numbers for most at his level, if they want them, than WWE. WWE is obviously the goal of most wrestlers, and internally in WWE people were talking about him debuting there as part of the September incoming class. Moose himself said that he can’t say anything until his situation is final. Moose was in Orlando for Takeover backstage and tweeted a photo going to the show with Apollo Crews. I do know that even as of last week, ROH thought they had a good chance of keeping him and his winning a multiple person match over the weekend would indicate that even as of the weekend they believed that. He’s still scheduled for the 6/24 PPV even after a Tweet where people look at it and are going to naturally speculate, and it’s not a secret his contract is up in a few weeks.

Both were put over this weekend, and Strong got a win over Jay Briscoe, who is one of the most protected singles wrestlers. Strong has been with the company for 13 years and is a fixture, called Mr. ROH the past year, and is one of the best workers on the planet. He’s not the type of guy who a few years ago that one would think WWE would take, but the landscape is different now. When someone like Austin Aries has been to me very successful in NXT, that should open eyes to Strong, although Aries is the better promo of the two. The key is that NXT is looking to replenish in the fall as some of its top people start being brought up. Still, when it comes to what Strong is going to do next, it’s been kept pretty quiet. The fact that both were still being put over in key matches this weekend makes me think ROH thinks there’s a chance both are staying. With Moose, given his age and size, it does feel like it’s the time to go to NXT. With Strong, really, the best fit may be New Japan, but he’s at the point of his career where the money and the exposure have to be the top priorities.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

supersonic wrote:Observer:
TNA is offering higher numbers for most at his level, if they want them, than WWE. WWE is obviously the goal of most wrestlers.
Honestly what on earth is TNA doing offering more than the WWE and I assume ROH. That is just ridiculous and just highlights why things are going wrong their, a simplified wage structure would help them so much.

Personally I don't think things could be that bad in ROH if people are staying and they aren't offering amazing wages.
jordidebaas

Post by jordidebaas »

Because if you could choose between ROH, WWE, and TNA, if they all were offering the same, nobody in their right mind would choose TNA
I was in the front line when we battled page 15
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

Where the fuck are they getting the money

Also I'm pretty sure that while yeah you get more immediately if you sign with TNA you're screwed if you had gone to WWE and became hot. Roddy might consider TNA over WWE as he's a much better fit in NXT only but Moose would be crazy to not go to WWE if they wanted him.