ALL PURPOSE CONTRACT STATUS/POTENTIAL DEPARTURES THREAD

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
famicommander

Re: ALL PURPOSE CONTRACT STATUS/POTENTIAL DEPARTURES THREAD

Post by famicommander »

I don't think it's a given that they're all going to end up together. Their other brother didn't leave CMLL when they did, and Dragon Lee likes working Japan way more than Rush does.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

famicommander wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:34 pm I don't think it's a given that they're all going to end up together. Their other brother didn't leave CMLL when they did, and Dragon Lee likes working Japan way more than Rush does.
The other brother left CMLL as soon as he got his work Visa. They want to stay together. Dragon Lee can still do Japan as long as they don't go to WWE.
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

kovs27 wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:58 pm
famicommander wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:34 pm I don't think it's a given that they're all going to end up together. Their other brother didn't leave CMLL when they did, and Dragon Lee likes working Japan way more than Rush does.
The other brother left CMLL as soon as he got his work Visa. They want to stay together. Dragon Lee can still do Japan as long as they don't go to WWE.
AEW won't let Dragon Lee work half the year in Japan & that's what Dragon Lee would want to do. With ROH he can work around their schedule of 18 or so live shows and TV Tapings. I believe Dragon Lee stays (Works NJPW,Strong,ROH) and RUSH goes to AEW & starts complaining about it by May 1. You think RUSH is gonna walk into AEW and start main eventing? I don't see RUSH as type of guy who would work Elevation or Dark tapings or be happy being a mid carder on Rampage. I think guys like Lee and Bandido would fit right in with AEW Style and have their ego's in check to work whatever and whoever.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

Shanahan wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:51 pm
kovs27 wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:58 pm
AEW won't let Dragon Lee work half the year in Japan & that's what Dragon Lee would want to do. With ROH he can work around their schedule of 18 or so live shows and TV Tapings. I believe Dragon Lee stays (Works NJPW,Strong,ROH) and RUSH goes to AEW & starts complaining about it by May 1. You think RUSH is gonna walk into AEW and start main eventing? I don't see RUSH as type of guy who would work Elevation or Dark tapings or be happy being a mid carder on Rampage. I think guys like Lee and Bandido would fit right in with AEW Style and have their ego's in check to work whatever and whoever.
I disagree. I think Dragon Lee would work in Japan when needed and AEW would work around it. It's not like they need him everywhere with the giant roster they already have.
Wavelet Transform

Post by Wavelet Transform »

Shanahan wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:51 pm [AEW won't let Dragon Lee work half the year in Japan & that's what Dragon Lee would want to do. With ROH he can work around their schedule of 18 or so live shows and TV Tapings. I believe Dragon Lee stays (Works NJPW,Strong,ROH) and RUSH goes to AEW & starts complaining about it by May 1. You think RUSH is gonna walk into AEW and start main eventing? I don't see RUSH as type of guy who would work Elevation or Dark tapings or be happy being a mid carder on Rampage. I think guys like Lee and Bandido would fit right in with AEW Style and have their ego's in check to work whatever and whoever.
100% all of this.
DougN

Post by DougN »

famicommander wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:59 pm Having PCO pin Rush in any context, much less for the ROH World Title, has to be one of the worst individual calls in ROH history. Maybe the worst.
Oh for sure. The PCO thing is such a blemish on the company, especially when the only truly bad or questionable champions before that was Xavier and Jerry Lynn (because of age and beating Nigel for the title). Even Taven is not that bad -- he was the wrong person at the time, but he was treated as a top guy.
I've got over 400 ROH DVDs for sale from 2002 to 2018! Let me know if you are looking for any! Can ship anywhere in the world.
Montana

Post by Montana »

While i 100% agree; i wouldn't have put the belt on PCO... he was one of the most over wrestlers they had, other than probably Marty still. Putting the belt on one of your most over baby faces; typically isn't a bad thing. Idk if i say it was the worst decision ever; but certainly top 10. The problem i had with it; with it was; Rush's title reign just started... so it threw off that momentum; only for him to get the belt back a month or two later.
DougN

Post by DougN »

I get that PCO was over, but there's also the question of "how was he over?"

There was that Elimination Chamber match with Santino and Danielson where Santino ALMOST won. It was a great moment and they definitely pulled the crowd in. But putting the belt on Santino would have been dumb and devalued everything around it.

PCO was not that level of comedy wrestler, but it's an overly gimmicky thing that was over as a joke and as a "this guy is killing himself at his age" appreciation. It's different than Marty Scrull being over or Jay Lethal being over or Dalton Castle being over, etc.

It also definitely handicapped Rush's title reign. I find it so unbelievable that Rush was okay dropping the belt to PCO (even if he got it back), but he had to completely kneecap Bandido in their title change.
I've got over 400 ROH DVDs for sale from 2002 to 2018! Let me know if you are looking for any! Can ship anywhere in the world.
EvanKnight

Post by EvanKnight »

After watching this weeks tv, I am honestly glad PCO isn’t sticking around. I was stocked when he came in, it the over the top campy “comedy” is past played out.
Lynx

Post by Lynx »

PCO was/is pretty much a freak show attraction. I think it says a lot about wrestling industry in general that lots of people were approving of what he was doing.
DougN

Post by DougN »

I never got into it that much, but the crowd did love it. I just don't think it warranted a title run even for a day.
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

PCO was used perfectly in VE when they did 6 mans and tagging with Brody. PCO is really good in the tag match at BITW vs the Bouncers. That match is seriously underrated for how fun it was
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

Going off of cheeseburger roh will be seeing more of Matt Makowski
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

For where I hope ROH wants to be PCO just isn’t anywhere what ROH should be developing moments, time etc with. The same goes Sledge, Matt is a prime example of what or where ROH should focus, I’m all for different styles and looks but when you’ve got someone ‘short circuiting’ mid match I loose any interest, desire or need to see anymore of the match.
DougN

Post by DougN »

BurningHammer wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:32 pm For where I hope ROH wants to be PCO just isn’t anywhere what ROH should be developing moments, time etc with. The same goes Sledge, Matt is a prime example of what or where ROH should focus, I’m all for different styles and looks but when you’ve got someone ‘short circuiting’ mid match I loose any interest, desire or need to see anymore of the match.
I think Danhausen is probably the extent of gimmicky ROH should get away with because there's no extra suspension of disbelief needed for his character, unlike a PCO.
KL_

Post by KL_ »

DougN wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:39 am
It also definitely handicapped Rush's title reign. I find it so unbelievable that Rush was okay dropping the belt to PCO (even if he got it back), but he had to completely kneecap Bandido in their title change.
Let's add the fact that RUSH got the ROH World title back from PCO when Marty Scurll became the head booker. I wonder what would happen if it was still Delirious that day.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

DougN wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:51 pm
BurningHammer wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:32 pm For where I hope ROH wants to be PCO just isn’t anywhere what ROH should be developing moments, time etc with. The same goes Sledge, Matt is a prime example of what or where ROH should focus, I’m all for different styles and looks but when you’ve got someone ‘short circuiting’ mid match I loose any interest, desire or need to see anymore of the match.
I think Danhausen is probably the extent of gimmicky ROH should get away with because there's no extra suspension of disbelief needed for his character, unlike a PCO.
Yeah agreed, especially as he is such a fan favourite, there is a lot more upside to him than say Sledge and PCO who are on the wrong side of thirty and have shown little progression throughout their time in ROH.

I think ROH has it right when they do stuff like DR Black and Coleman’s pulpit, it’s lighthearted enough but creates charachter depth and interaction.
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

BurningHammer wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:56 pm
DougN wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:51 pm
Yeah agreed, especially as he is such a fan favourite, there is a lot more upside to him than say Sledge and PCO who are on the wrong side of thirty and have shown little progression throughout their time in ROH.

I think ROH has it right when they do stuff like DR Black and Coleman’s pulpit, it’s lighthearted enough but creates charachter depth and interaction.
That 30 sec skit with Flip & Black was funnier than anything on BTE in last 6 months.
DougN

Post by DougN »

Not going that far, but BTE has been second fiddle to Sammy's vlog for most of the year now.

And that skit with Flip and Black WAS gold.
Montana

Post by Montana »

It was reported earlier this week that PCO is set to appear at upcoming GCW events when his contract with Ring of Honor runs out on December 1. In an interview with Pat Laprade, the former ROH World Champion said that he will work forty events with GCW next year.

He said: “I will not be exclusive with GCW, but I will have to prioritize them. In all, we are talking about 40 shows for 2022. It’s still a lot of shows. With guys like Jon Moxley, Matt Cardona, Joey Janela and company, I can’t wait and excited to start with GCW.“