ALL PURPOSE CONTRACT STATUS/POTENTIAL DEPARTURES THREAD

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
maxx_powerz

Re: ALL PURPOSE CONTRACT STATUS/POTENTIAL DEPARTURES THREAD

Post by maxx_powerz »

Unless NXT or AEW want him to do color, I can't see what else would be out there for him with the shape his body is in tbh. As a former ROH champion, ROH should have the most interest in keeping him amongst the second tier.
Montana

Post by Montana »

I kinda have mixed feelings on this; but probably best for Dalton to explore his options. I think having 6+ months off; had to help his body. AEW has quiet a light schedule; and could easily fit in there. WWE/NXT may be interested; although idk if how well his body will hold up with WWE's daily rigorous schedule.

Kinda sad to see him go; but kinda explains why he help put over Lethal, Horus, Brody King on the way out. Was hoping ROH ran a comeback angle for him in 2021.

Not good for ROH to lose two of it's biggest fan favorites... (Guess they would have lost Marty either way) I'm not just not sure who is out there that a good new signing; that's a backfill. Delirious or whomever; have their work cut out; creating some new main event stars. I think Brody King and Jonathan Gresham as main eventers is a lock. Slex / Adam Brooks were excellent low key signings; and think ROH should feature them heavily once fully brought over.

Ehh, and Sumie. As a coach/Laison it's cool; and i assume that's what it is. Not sure her or Brain Johnson really need an announcement. I guess it's nice to them for resigning.
McXal
Donator
Donator

Post by McXal »

I think his recent matches with Brody and even Brian Johnson show what Castle’s worth could be to ROH. As a former World Champion he adds legitimacy. As a man who most fans know is working through a near-broken body, his ability to sell and convey real, genuine pain is unparalleled - thus making his opponents look like killers.

He could be important as a ‘gatekeeper’ to the upper echelons of the card. But I’d suggest that needs to be through coherently booked, medium/long-term feuds with the goal being to elevate younger talent. Rather than just being jobbed every week which just makes him look a bit sad and toothless. Without wanting to be cruel when positivity in ROH is increasing - but coherently booked long-term feuds which help to elevate younger talent aren’t Delirious’ strong suit as a booker...
Montana

Post by Montana »

McXal wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:46 am I think his recent matches with Brody and even Brian Johnson show what Castle’s worth could be to ROH. As a former World Champion he adds legitimacy. As a man who most fans know is working through a near-broken body, his ability to sell and convey real, genuine pain is unparalleled - thus making his opponents look like killers.

He could be important as a ‘gatekeeper’ to the upper echelons of the card. But I’d suggest that needs to be through coherently booked, medium/long-term feuds with the goal being to elevate younger talent. Rather than just being jobbed every week which just makes him look a bit sad and toothless. Without wanting to be cruel when positivity in ROH is increasing - but coherently booked long-term feuds which help to elevate younger talent aren’t Delirious’ strong suit as a booker...
Agreed... although he may not be what he once was, still has value to ROH, or whomever company signs him.

I wouldn't be completely surprised if he does return to ROH though. In fact, i could see him going with any company... think they all have their pro's / con's. WWE can offer the most, AEW would be second most; with the lighter schedule, Impact would be exposure to a new/wider crowd with a good spot; then ROH can offer him a good spot in the company, be with his friends.
McXal
Donator
Donator

Post by McXal »

And the thing is, every choice presents a different opportunity.

WWE clearly offers the most exposure. But with SO much talent there, does he have the gas in the tank to make a splash there (and would he even pass the medical?). In all fairness, Rebecca Knox/Becky Lynch was once so injured that she’d left the business...but signing with WWE salvaged her career and made her a huge star.

AEW probably offers the best money/exposure/workload mix for him. But what is his ceiling there? That is a loaded roster. Does he have it within him to be much more than a floating Dark regular/Dynamite lower card guy. And with so many characters on the show, does that diminish the impact of his own zany personality? (Which is basically all he has to stand him out on ROH shows now)

ROH is familiar, he would get to hang out with Taven and other friends etc. BUT he has hit his limit with ROH. He won’t be World Champ again (anytime soon anyway), he’s tried a heel turn, he had a long(ish) rivalry with Rush last year. What does he have left to do? And does he trust someone like Delirious to come up with anything new?

Impact is probably the biggest unknown but also offers the biggest upside. I think of all the companies, they are the ones most likely to regularly use him and push him as a viable upper card/potential main event talent - which is an opportunity in and of itself. His character and charisma would make him a real asset. But if he bombs in Impact it’s hard to see where else he could go in wrestling...
AnHonorableMention

Post by AnHonorableMention »

Letting both Dalton and Silas walk would be preferable at this point for two different reasons. 1. Dalton is hurt, he needs to become a manager if he's going to stick in ROH. He simply cannot work. The culpability of ROH if he were to get seriously hurt is known and could be very dangerous. 2. His character is so flat without fans. It just doesn't work.

As for Silas, he's never going to mean anything here. Delirious ruined that chance on several occasions. TBH both should go to Impact, fresh coats of paint.
Captain Podcast
Captain_44

Post by Captain_44 »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:34 pm Letting both Dalton and Silas walk would be preferable at this point for two different reasons. 1. Dalton is hurt, he needs to become a manager if he's going to stick in ROH. He simply cannot work. The culpability of ROH if he were to get seriously hurt is known and could be very dangerous. 2. His character is so flat without fans. It just doesn't work.

As for Silas, he's never going to mean anything here. Delirious ruined that chance on several occasions. TBH both should go to Impact, fresh coats of paint.
I agree with this. Silas had a chance at one point. But the boat has sailed, no fault of Silas'.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Silas is fine in the tag division with Woods. He basically turned Woods' whole career around and I could see them as tag champs.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

I think for Silas a producer role is perfect, his years of experience and general ability to put matches together is to invaluable. If he truly was an influence on woods both in matches and backstage he’s a real credit to business that shouldn’t be lost.

As for Dalton if he’s injuries and know here near repairing or getting to a point of manageable without long term damage that signing him back up would just detrimental as it’s taking up a spot a young, very good hungry healthy wrestler to take up. That said (and I know this is kind of been done already with Woods and Johnson), but having Dalton in a coach, mentor role for one of the Dojo guys could really work for me.
Lynx

Post by Lynx »

I'm not sure what "meaning something" actually means? Will Silas ever be world champ or credible challenger? No, but his tag team with Woods is working and that has value. Is it good enough for Silas? Who knows.
Montana

Post by Montana »

The Bouncers have resigned/renewed their deals with ROH. Not too surprising. While, i like and am OK with them as a team; i kinda want to see them turn on each other.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

I think Bruiser would be fine without Milonas but I have a lot of trouble seeing what Milonas would do without BCB.

Best to keep them together and maybe add a third man. That way they could do trios and BCB could occasionally do singles.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Least shocking news ever.

He's got 2 belts, his own stable, the book for the women's division reboot, and a job as head of the ROH Dojo. No way he was going anywhere.
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

famicommander wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:42 pm Least shocking news ever.

He's got 2 belts, his own stable, the book for the women's division reboot, and a job as head of the ROH Dojo. No way he was going anywhere.
Reading that made me smile. I remember Gresham stealing shows on undercards 7 years ago and now hes the most important man in ROH making great life changing money. Good guys can win!
Montana

Post by Montana »

Yeah, although not shocking; glad to see a renewed deal for him.

I imagine we'll hear something new soon on Rush/Dragon Lee. Not sure what is taking so long; but i imagine we'll hear something soon.
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

Montana wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:57 am Yeah, although not shocking; glad to see a renewed deal for him.

I imagine we'll hear something new soon on Rush/Dragon Lee. Not sure what is taking so long; but i imagine we'll hear something soon.
They are on TV this upcoming week so i'm guessing an announcement wed or thu
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

With Gresham I would never say it’s a given as he’s probably had the most exposure and presence of his career and I’m sure he knows that. I wouldn’t surprise me if he had a couple of really good offers but I’m guessing he feels very valued in ROH right now and sees a legitimate attempt to change evolve the company both internally and externally. I’m delighted he’s staying as he’s really deserved someone to show what a real pro he is.

I’m guessing Lethal is close to coming up to his last couple of contracts considering his age/time in the business. If you are a young wrestler there is no better to learn from, regarding everything in ring.
Montana

Post by Montana »

I wonder what's up with Dalton Castle; and if he's signed with anyone yet. Not sure if he was at the last set of tapings. He could be weighing his options still. I'm guessing he will be signed within the next month though; either with ROH or a new company.