ALL PURPOSE CONTRACT STATUS/POTENTIAL DEPARTURES THREAD

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
dhads7161

Re: ALL PURPOSE CONTRACT STATUS/POTENTIAL DEPARTURES THREAD

Post by dhads7161 »

Working both companies shouldn't be a problem for him since AEW only runs on Wednesdays and like six Saturdays a year.
AnHonorableMention

Post by AnHonorableMention »

monster mafia wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:34 pm
AnHonorableMention wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:40 pm
AnHonorableMention wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:19 pm BIG TIME signing for AEW. Don’t low ball your top tier talent.
Based on a just now received text, from someone close to the cobb side, he’s doing a bunch of different shows including njpw and is not signing with anyone right now. Aiming for a bigger contract in December but text said “he’d have signed with Roh, he was happy there if they valued him at the level of Matt taven.
That text also talk about anthony henry signed with roh?

The sign of posting just to post, not everyone is as high and mighty as all knowing super mark monster mafia, who is professional at denying until dying.

No the text did not come from anyone involved with Anthony Henry.
Captain Podcast
AnHonorableMention

BurningHammer wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:09 pm So far this is the most interesting move to date really. To have someone be able to work all three companies is something I never thought I’d see. It might be that Cobb is a special case considering his pay per appearance deal isn’t exactly binding with ROH, it obviously doesn’t technically cause that many headaches. In the end ROH could benefit hugely from it really (if they were to sign Cobb later on). He would be someone that would have gained ‘larger’ national exposure, while finding a fresh feel, (wasn’t Hager brought in for the exact role Cobb is now being used and similar to that of the one Warhammer or whatever he is name that’s with MJF) depending on the length of his stay with AEW. Which in turn could propel him up the ladder within ROH without much attempt at booking once he is back full time.

I hope this has been talked about with Cobb and everyone in ROH. Hopefully it hasn’t caused any push back.
Hager is simply the bodyguard. Nothing more but will be wrestling Dustin Rhodes at the PPV, Revolution on 2/29/2020. Wardlow and Hager’s roles are similar. Cobb is a bounty hunter being paid by Jericho to harm Moxley before Revolution. The talk last night was Cobb was set to sign with NJPW until their US tour flopped. ROH low balled hm during negotiations but he likes working with those guys and both Hunter and Marty like him. The Taven stuff really pissed him off though.
Captain Podcast
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:57 am
BurningHammer wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:09 pm So far this is the most interesting move to date really. To have someone be able to work all three companies is something I never thought I’d see. It might be that Cobb is a special case considering his pay per appearance deal isn’t exactly binding with ROH, it obviously doesn’t technically cause that many headaches. In the end ROH could benefit hugely from it really (if they were to sign Cobb later on). He would be someone that would have gained ‘larger’ national exposure, while finding a fresh feel, (wasn’t Hager brought in for the exact role Cobb is now being used and similar to that of the one Warhammer or whatever he is name that’s with MJF) depending on the length of his stay with AEW. Which in turn could propel him up the ladder within ROH without much attempt at booking once he is back full time.

I hope this has been talked about with Cobb and everyone in ROH. Hopefully it hasn’t caused any push back.
Hager is simply the bodyguard. Nothing more but will be wrestling Dustin Rhodes at the PPV, Revolution on 2/29/2020. Wardlow and Hager’s roles are similar. Cobb is a bounty hunter being paid by Jericho to harm Moxley before Revolution. The talk last night was Cobb was set to sign with NJPW until their US tour flopped. ROH low balled hm during negotiations but he likes working with those guys and both Hunter and Marty like him. The Taven stuff really pissed him off though.
I think it's something that's an issue in wrestling in general there is a lot of similarity to many groups, factions, personalities, gimicks etc and then when people do try to stand out it becomes too much for a promotion like ROH, say someone like Warhorse who looks to have talent but I just couldn't see him fitting in ROH.

I guess if Cobb can be seen as a larger success within AEW it will give him a stronger footing with negotiations and likely have him in line for a stronger contract with ROH. Personally I think Taven deserves the contract similarly to how Nigel deserved a top contract they gave everything they could to ROH in all aspects wether it worked or not, you do now have someone that knows the level requiered of him in ring and I;m sure he will want to keep himself there when he returns. I imagine with Cobb they can only see a certain level right now which is their opinion and that's ok, it's up to Cobb to change it and if he does he will get the deal he needs/deserves. I do think Cobb came in at the wrong time really, if you see the talent that's available to him for say TV title matches it's like night and day compared to when he was champ.

If say Cobb does want to leave you do also have a set up where Maff can turn on him or the other way around which helps so much in these situations.
AnHonorableMention

BurningHammer wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:51 am I think it's something that's an issue in wrestling in general there is a lot of similarity to many groups, factions, personalities, gimicks etc and then when people do try to stand out it becomes too much for a promotion like ROH, say someone like Warhorse who looks to have talent but I just couldn't see him fitting in ROH.
Remember, you cannot reinvent the wheel when it comes to the bare bones of wrestling. I can’t do it, Gabe can’t do it, Marty, the Bucks, Tony Khan, it doesn’t matter.

I’ve known Wardlow for a few years, on a personal level. He’d have come in and fit perfectly with the rest of the poorly booked wrestlers. He’s not the typical big man. Think more Brian Cage/Scott Steiner more than Ryback.
BurningHammer wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:51 am I guess if Cobb can be seen as a larger success within AEW it will give him a stronger footing with negotiations and likely have him in line for a stronger contract with ROH. Personally I think Taven deserves the contract similarly to how Nigel deserved a top contract they gave everything they could to ROH in all aspects wether it worked or not, you do now have someone that knows the level requiered of him in ring and I;m sure he will want to keep himself there when he returns.
Without the exit of Cody, Taven never reaches his spot. Mediocre talent aided by lack of depth and a fan base of obsessive women who wouldn’t talk to a dude if they were approached. Solid mid-card guy but it’s akin to putting the title on Ziggler at this years Mania.
BurningHammer wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:51 am I imagine with Cobb they can only see a certain level right now which is their opinion and that's ok, it's up to Cobb to change it and if he does he will get the deal he needs/deserves. I do think Cobb came in at the wrong time really, if you see the talent that's available to him for say TV title matches it's like night and day compared to when he was champ.
Cobb had he been booked right could have been a major all time ROH Star. His crowd connectivity would never gotten better had he not been hidden in meaningless matches. Better heel too, tbh.

BurningHammer wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:51 am If say Cobb does want to leave you do also have a set up where Maff can turn on him or the other way around which helps so much in these situations.
Which is why they are where they are.
Captain Podcast
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Observer:

WON: The story with Cobb is that he’s still a free agent and only has agreed at this point to do the program with Moxley. It’s interesting that they were willing to use an ROH guy (Cobb never signed a new ROH contract so he can work wherever he wants) for a short-term program.

They used footage to introduce him from All Pro Wrestling rather than ROH or NJPW, which was also telling about relationships. Cobb has been offered a deal by Cody but his goal is working as much New Japan as he can right now
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

i have a feeling this ends with Cobb signing with AEW.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Sounds like AEW has made CObb a full time offer with ability to do NJPW. No word on Cobb's response yet.
cgstong
Admin
Admin

Post by cgstong »

Shane Taylor has signed a new deal.

Also word is Cobb is still a free agent.
If you're having any issues with the forum tweet at me Twitter.com/ROH_World
or Fb.com/ROHworld
Montana

Post by Montana »

Now might be a good time to lock Jeff Cobb into a nice deal. I gotta think as an independent contractor / free agent ... he's not getting a check right now. Personally i think all the wrestling companies need to be very careful with what they are spending now, because they aren't getting the ticket sales, and won't be getting ticket sales are a while.

Long story short... if i'm ROH, i'd try and sign Jeff Cobb for at least 2 years because he's one of the few worth spending the money on, and i'd start recording matches for TV and/or HonorClub in Baltimore with no fans.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

Montana wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:11 am Now might be a good time to lock Jeff Cobb into a nice deal. I gotta think as an independent contractor / free agent ... he's not getting a check right now. Personally i think all the wrestling companies need to be very careful with what they are spending now, because they aren't getting the ticket sales, and won't be getting ticket sales are a while.

Long story short... if i'm ROH, i'd try and sign Jeff Cobb for at least 2 years because he's one of the few worth spending the money on, and i'd start recording matches for TV and/or HonorClub in Baltimore with no fans.
If you’re not making any money, you suggest signing a wrestler so they can’t wrestle? Doesn’t seem like a smart business move, no matter who the wrestler is.

That’s the risk these guys take by not signing deals and being independent. Everything was fine until a month ago.
Montana

Post by Montana »

NewROHFan2020 wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:36 am
Montana wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:11 am Now might be a good time to lock Jeff Cobb into a nice deal. I gotta think as an independent contractor / free agent ... he's not getting a check right now. Personally i think all the wrestling companies need to be very careful with what they are spending now, because they aren't getting the ticket sales, and won't be getting ticket sales are a while.

If you’re not making any money, you suggest signing a wrestler so they can’t wrestle? Doesn’t seem like a smart business move, no matter who the wrestler is.

That’s the risk these guys take by not signing deals and being independent. Everything was fine until a month ago.
My point being:

1) It's Jeff Cobb... probably the biggest free agent out there.

2) They will still likely record matches for TV i assume.. thus you need a roster.

3) You could probably get a better price on the contract, now, vs. say a month or two ago.

4) Hopefully you sign him more long term.

5) Other companies with bigger budgets may shy away from signing him, as they have to pay the rest of their existing roster, and more expenses.

I'm just saying ROH may have more leverage now, than say 4-5 months ago, when his contract was up. I'm not saying screw the guy... but it's more of a win-win. Cobb gets part, ROH gets Cobb.
Montana

Post by Montana »

– According to a report by Fightful Select, Leon St. Giovanni (LSG) revealed that he’s no longer under contract with Ring of Honor (ROH) and is currently a free agent. At the moment, LSG is still working with ROH, and the relationship is said to still be be in good show.

LSG and his Coast 2 Coast tag team partner, Shaheem Ali, previously announced their split last January. Ali has not appeared in ROH since that time. More recently, LSG has been working with WrestlePro and Synergy Pro, where he’s also begun work as a trainer.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Really?, with everything that's happening within wrestling and companies related to COVID, you think bringing them all together to wrestle is a good idea, Jeez. Even AEW who apparently took all the appropriate measures have had a number of positive tests apparently, with so many of these guys having young families, elderly parents, relatives etc it's not something that they should really consider until the first set of spiking has hopefully stopped in the US or at least Baltimore. As much as I want ROH back running those guys lives matter way too more and to me any show that's being run is a huge unnecessary risk.

I'm guessing the earliest, (if ROH hasn't changed it's tune to run in August) we will see any sort of show is September and even then that would probably depend on how ratings, viewership, ideas, opinions change for what their current TV, YouTube shows are doing. Seemingly this break, (aside from the allegations) has been the best thing to happen to ROH in terms of creative and building an audience around the product.
Montana

Post by Montana »

BurningHammer wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:20 pm

Really?, with everything that's happening within wrestling and companies related to COVID, you think bringing them all together to wrestle is a good idea, Jeez. Even AEW who apparently took all the appropriate measures have had a number of positive tests apparently, with so many of these guys having young families, elderly parents, relatives etc it's not something that they should really consider until the first set of spiking has hopefully stopped in the US or at least Baltimore. As much as I want ROH back running those guys lives matter way too more and to me any show that's being run is a huge unnecessary risk.

I'm guessing the earliest, (if ROH hasn't changed it's tune to run in August) we will see any sort of show is September and even then that would probably depend on how ratings, viewership, ideas, opinions change for what their current TV, YouTube shows are doing. Seemingly this break, (aside from the allegations) has been the best thing to happen to ROH in terms of creative and building an audience around the product.
To be fair... i said that back in March. I do still think at some point ROH should or is going to film with no fans; most likely in the baltimore area. I agree assuming things continue to improve in Maryland/Baltimore August might happen. I hear you on everyone safety is the #1 priority. There are millions of other working American's , who need a paycheck, and to be able to feed their families. If ROH/SBG are OK with paying employees/staff until this blows over, fine.... but ROH isn't really in a position to sit back. Impact has pretty much secured the #3 promotion in the US. I don't see how this break has helped ROH at all.... If anything; it's halted the momentum in early 2020. Yes, they've finally stepped up their YT game, and adding more to HonorClub; but it's FAR from the best thing that can happen to ROH right now. It's too early to say , ROH is building their audience through YT. It's a HUGE step in the right direction, but how many of those YT fans, will convert to TV watchers, HonorCLub Subscribers, and Live event go-ers. I think they've done really well the first 3-4 months; maintaining some interest and growing the YT base... but at some point, people will get tried of waiting and move on.

Not to mention, WWE, AEW, Impact, NJPW are all back running shows. Good idea or not.

I also still stand by my Jeff Cobb comment.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

The Wrestling Observer Newsletter reports that Ian Riccobani stated that there have been contract signings and renewals, as well as increases in pay even though no shows are being run. However, no new big deal are being offered. Riccobani also told the Observer that he himself signed a new deal during this time.

A return for ROH has yet to be announced, although ROH is reportedly looking at possible empty arena shows for TV tapings this month.
AnHonorableMention

BurningHammer wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:20 pmEven AEW who apparently took all the appropriate measures have had a number of positive tests apparently
Completely inaccurate. No positive tests at all, all protocols followed by the talents. The only talents not there are due to the travel ban, not wanting to perform, injury or #speakingout. Knock on wood this continues. Mox is the only one to stay away out of concern for his wife as well. They've been incredibly fortunate.
Captain Podcast
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Montana wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:59 am
BurningHammer wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:20 pm

To be fair... i said that back in March. I do still think at some point ROH should or is going to film with no fans; most likely in the baltimore area. I agree assuming things continue to improve in Maryland/Baltimore August might happen. I hear you on everyone safety is the #1 priority. There are millions of other working American's , who need a paycheck, and to be able to feed their families. If ROH/SBG are OK with paying employees/staff until this blows over, fine.... but ROH isn't really in a position to sit back. Impact has pretty much secured the #3 promotion in the US. I don't see how this break has helped ROH at all.... If anything; it's halted the momentum in early 2020. Yes, they've finally stepped up their YT game, and adding more to HonorClub; but it's FAR from the best thing that can happen to ROH right now. It's too early to say , ROH is building their audience through YT. It's a HUGE step in the right direction, but how many of those YT fans, will convert to TV watchers, HonorCLub Subscribers, and Live event go-ers. I think they've done really well the first 3-4 months; maintaining some interest and growing the YT base... but at some point, people will get tried of waiting and move on.

Not to mention, WWE, AEW, Impact, NJPW are all back running shows. Good idea or not.

I also still stand by my Jeff Cobb comment.
I don't think it's going to blow over, this isn't going to go away for a very long time, if ever, and it's going to be increasingly unlikely that there will be a safe and appropriate vaccine for everyone. You also have to think about how so many of the companies champions and premier/developing talent that are currently in countries that have travel restrictions applied to them.

Considering how ROH has run constantly without really any break to the point of loosing fans, and creating a pretty venomous fan base towards the company, regardless of how things started to develop before the pandemic, I do feel there has been a mellowing of the fan base and increase in it's wider audience. Although I think that will very much depend on the outcome of the 'investigation in the end'. I do feel there is a desire to see the product again and that's important, and while you have the risk of stagnating if you don't find enough content to stay fresh I think what ROH is doing right now if the best thing for them, especially if they know they are coming back. I don't see how ROH being third, fifth first whatever is important, Impact has shown you can be the dirt worst and can find yourselves in a much better position, it's about what you do in the end and If ROH comes back with everything in place and working to the highest levels their time off will prove to be the right decision especially when fans shouldn't be anywhere near live events for a good while. Coming back just for the sake of other companies running or moving ahead etc to me aren't the right reasons to come back, focus on yourself and making sure you are the best you can be to me is better idea especially if you aren't ready and trying to play catch up.

No problem with Cobb, he is a great talent he should really be in a top tier position in the company, maybe if/hopefully Maff leaves Cobb becomes a stronger singles talent again.
Montana

Post by Montana »

I do think position and ranking of the companies do matter. Ultimately it comes down to who has the most money, and who makes the most. Say Impact has a strong hold on #3 and making more money than ROH, guess where the free agents are going?? WWE and AEW gets their first pick on talent, and now ROH needs to compete with Impact for talent. Luckily i think for the most part both companies go after different style of wrestlers. Yes, you can rise/fall through the rankings fairly quick, but if ROH is having to overspend for talent, (or Impact for that matter) will lead to financial issues, and potentially the billionaire owners cut their losses. Without talent, both companies will suffer. Plus fans have to pick and choose where to spend their dollars and time.

Also depends on goals... IF ROH is fine with running shows with 500 fans for Honorclub, come out and say that's what it is. Don't tease, and say yeah we want to go live; despite SBG not owning any major cable channels they can run live on without complications. IS SBG even cool with putting their show on another network, and even if it does; will the get a good enough deal, and will they get viewers?? This is a bit concerning. Plus the leadership for the company. Seems like Joe Koff like's Status quo. Guess we'll see how it shakes out for ROH when they return.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Montana wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:12 pm I do think position and ranking of the companies do matter. Ultimately it comes down to who has the most money, and who makes the most. Say Impact has a strong hold on #3 and making more money than ROH, guess where the free agents are going?? WWE and AEW gets their first pick on talent, and now ROH needs to compete with Impact for talent. Luckily i think for the most part both companies go after different style of wrestlers. Yes, you can rise/fall through the rankings fairly quick, but if ROH is having to overspend for talent, (or Impact for that matter) will lead to financial issues, and potentially the billionaire owners cut their losses. Without talent, both companies will suffer. Plus fans have to pick and choose where to spend their dollars and time.

Also depends on goals... IF ROH is fine with running shows with 500 fans for Honorclub, come out and say that's what it is. Don't tease, and say yeah we want to go live; despite SBG not owning any major cable channels they can run live on without complications. IS SBG even cool with putting their show on another network, and even if it does; will the get a good enough deal, and will they get viewers?? This is a bit concerning. Plus the leadership for the company. Seems like Joe Koff like's Status quo. Guess we'll see how it shakes out for ROH when they return.
Money will generally be the driving force for most wrestlers, well that and the position they promise/have for you. As long as either Sinclair or Anthem stump the cash I doubt it will matter where they are in the wrestling world rankings. The likelihood is Sinclair won’t cash in on ROH simply because of its ability to generate a multitude of different programs and still draw viewers. Seemingly ROH can do that as they only just were beaten by RAW for their June 26th episode (bearing in mind these are character specials and not new content) for the fight network hear in the UK, side note they also beat Impact on the very channel Anthem owns. It wouldn’t surprise me that ROH has a pretty sizeable fan base when it comes to viewers but they may not see that traction in ticket sales for one reason or another. Also looking at the last releases and general free agency who have been any real standouts that scream ROH must get them, apart Rusev, Lio and Bennett and evening then there all really maybes, especially when there are young guys like Deppen who really deserve the break and probably deliver just as much. Overall as long as ROH continues to give me something that will either cause to say fuck that was great wrestling, entertain or just provoke me in a positive way (up until they make a decision on certain things) I’ll keep watching whatever there status quo is.

Why does knowing if ROH is going live or not matter, why does ROH have to be transparent about those things, especially when they need to far more open about other policies and situations. The articles about the live TV situation even said it would be later on in the year and that was before COVID. As you said ROH takes it fucking time on everything, look at when Ian said they were getting a presenter set or studio set up for himself and Quinn didn’t that take like six months or something and that’s a round desk! It seems ROH is able to work with networks or other corporations else they wouldn’t be with FIGHT or the Fight Network. I’m guessing most of the time it’s down to effort and money, unfortunately I don’t think the people in charge have the right energy in the appropriate area and that has lead to ROH programming having limited access. I mean how on earth does ROH not have TV within Mexico considering their talent, they would be massive their surely.