ALL PURPOSE CONTRACT STATUS/POTENTIAL DEPARTURES THREAD

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
AnHonorableMention

Re: ALL PURPOSE CONTRACT STATUS/POTENTIAL DEPARTURES THREAD

Post by AnHonorableMention »

Shanahan wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:04 pm
Wrestlingisback wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:48 pm
Shanahan wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:46 pm We all know if you changed AEW Dynamite to ROH Dynamite it would be ripped as terrible tv wrestling and huge letdown but because its The Elite we have to all act like its good to really good and will only get better.

DDP is involved in a major fued and is having a match next week....yet for last year we had people crying about PCO being too old for ROH. C'mon.
DDP isn’t main eventing the biggest ppv of the year for the world title
People complained when PCO was signed and mid carding because he was too old so the "hes main eventing is a problem" is not true. ....the hypocriscy is crazy...PCO has and will continue to be over. Hes been on 99% of shows working hard,doing crazy shit and having fun matches...I'm sorry they arent 4 or 5 star matches....AEW is bringing in 60+ year olds for a major fued (2nd biggest on the show) who havent worked matches in years and we are all supposed to just shut up because its The elite....its BS.
PCO is the law of diminishing returns. If DDP was on tv and wrestling at the top of the card i'd hate it. The Elite has nothing to do with any of that view.
Captain Podcast
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

Wrestlingisback wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:23 pm

People complained when PCO was signed and mid carding because he was too old so the "hes main eventing is a problem" is not true. ....the hypocriscy is crazy...PCO has and will continue to be over. Hes been on 99% of shows working hard,doing crazy shit and having fun matches...I'm sorry they arent 4 or 5 star matches....AEW is bringing in 60+ year olds for a major fued (2nd biggest on the show) who havent worked matches in years and we are all supposed to just shut up because its The elite....its BS.
“ I'm sorry they arent 4 or 5 star matches” doesn’t work with ROH where that is expected. Page is basically brought in to job to the hot heel and his crew. PCO debut in a faction with one of the top stars in the promotion at the time (still is). No comparison imo
So i guess you were going nuts at Dustin Rhodes joining the biggest stable in AEW....oh wait....thats cool cause A-E-DUB!!!
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:31 pm

PCO is the law of diminishing returns. If DDP was on tv and wrestling at the top of the card i'd hate it. The Elite has nothing to do with any of that view.
Then why is he one of the most over guys at shows? I know you'll say "says a lot about roh" but what about when he was on the indies? All i saw or heard about PCO was positive.

Yes, Rush/PCO was a letdown. I hope this weekend they will have the match i thought they would of had but 2019 as a whole... i enjoyed the hell outta PCO.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Shanahan wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:42 pm

“ I'm sorry they arent 4 or 5 star matches” doesn’t work with ROH where that is expected. Page is basically brought in to job to the hot heel and his crew. PCO debut in a faction with one of the top stars in the promotion at the time (still is). No comparison imo
So i guess you were going nuts at Dustin Rhodes joining the biggest stable in AEW....oh wait....thats cool cause A-E-DUB!!!
Rhodes is still in fantastic shape and is no less impressive now than he was 15 years ago. From a technical standpoint the best version of PCO was never anywhere close to the worst level of Rhodes.

Dustin is great in AEW right now.

PCO is fine in ROH, but not as champ.

60+ year old men should not be wrestling anywhere in any context.
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

famicommander wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:08 pm

Rhodes is still in fantastic shape and is no less impressive now than he was 15 years ago. From a technical standpoint the best version of PCO was never anywhere close to the worst level of Rhodes.

I agree about Dustin. my point is that if Dustin came into ROH when Cody was there people would of lost their minds. I remember when people complained about Cody debuting for ROH. It seems anything ROH does, gets shit on but AEW does similar things and there is silence. Even Meltzer this week after a terrible episode of Dynamite was making excuses or just skipping past it but are still killing ROH for something they did 10 months ago. So hypocritical
Montana

Post by Montana »

Agree that people are giving AEW a pass on a lot of stuff. But to be fair to AEW.... you can they put a lot of effort, heart and soul in the product. They do more in one week, than we see Joe/Greg in a year.

Meanwhile, I think people view ROH as a chore in a way. What i mean by that, they need to seek it out. They've been around nearly 20 years, and don't have a decent TV deal/slot. That's part of the problem. The other part, is fans need to invest money to properly follow the product. AEW is basically like giving away a free/better verison of ROH weekly on LIVE tv. Lastly, ROH management doesn't put effort into the product. Look at the website, the HonorClub experience, how they market and promote, and social media. The product is good... it's just all these little issues that drive fans away and barely brings in new fans.
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

Montana wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:27 pm Agree that people are giving AEW a pass on a lot of stuff. But to be fair to AEW.... you can they put a lot of effort, heart and soul in the product. They do more in one week, than we see Joe/Greg in a year.

Meanwhile, I think people view ROH as a chore in a way. What i mean by that, they need to seek it out. They've been around nearly 20 years, and don't have a decent TV deal/slot. That's part of the problem. The other part, is fans need to invest money to properly follow the product. AEW is basically like giving away a free/better verison of ROH weekly on LIVE tv. Lastly, ROH management doesn't put effort into the product. Look at the website, the HonorClub experience, how they market and promote, and social media. The product is good... it's just all these little issues that drive fans away and barely brings in new fans.
Most are 100% valid points that i agree with. The only thing i disagree with is the money part. If AEW will do at least 4 ppv's a year at 50 a pop...thats almost double what Honor club VIP is.

My points about ROH/AEW are over..this thread is about Contracts...i've taken up almost a page with my bitching.
AnHonorableMention

Dustin is almost 50 and in the best shape of his career. He's a mid card performer and having matches better than he's had in 25 years. That match with Cody was the single most emotional match I've seen since Joe/Kobashi.
Shanahan wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:47 pm
AnHonorableMention wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:31 pm

Then why is he one of the most over guys at shows? I know you'll say "says a lot about roh" but what about when he was on the indies? All i saw or heard about PCO was positive.

Yes, Rush/PCO was a letdown. I hope this weekend they will have the match i thought they would of had but 2019 as a whole... i enjoyed the hell outta PCO.

The reference to law of diminishing returns is, how many times can you do this act and nobody cares? He was good in small doses and hiding him in tags is great, with King. Putting him out there as a headliner is a weak idea done for a moment, that diminished a star, Rush. He worked everywhere as a novelty act, but when he's just another guy on the team on every show he has less value each time he goes through the curtain as a single.
Captain Podcast
AnHonorableMention

Shanahan wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:14 pm

I agree about Dustin. my point is that if Dustin came into ROH when Cody was there people would of lost their minds. I remember when people complained about Cody debuting for ROH. It seems anything ROH does, gets shit on but AEW does similar things and there is silence. Even Meltzer this week after a terrible episode of Dynamite was making excuses or just skipping past it but are still killing ROH for something they did 10 months ago. So hypocritical
I actually pushed for Dustin to come into ROH during one of his last WWE firings. I sent texts to people with the ability to get that idea over and it went nowhere. That guy is a medical miracle.
Captain Podcast
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Move on from Meltzer as his credibility is now shot on many topics. There's Fightful, Post Wrestling, and Voices of Wrestling to name a few that can equal or outright surpass him for scoops and analysis in 2020.
AnHonorableMention

supersonic wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:01 pm

Move on from Meltzer as his credibility is now shot on many topics. There's Fightful, Post Wrestling, and Voices of Wrestling to name a few that can equal or outright surpass him for scoops and analysis in 2020.
[cornette] [cornette] [cornette] [cornette] [cornette] [cornette] [cornette] [cornette] [cornette] [cornette] [cornette] [cornette] [cornette] [cornette] [cornette] [cornette] [cornette] [cornette] [cornette] [cornette] [cornette] [cornette] [cornette] [cornette] [cornette] [cornette] [cornette] [cornette]
Captain Podcast
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:06 pm

[cornette] [cornette] [cornette] [cornette] [cornette] [cornette] [cornette] [cornette] [cornette] [cornette] [cornette] [cornette] [cornette] [cornette] [cornette] [cornette] [cornette] [cornette] [cornette] [cornette] [cornette] [cornette] [cornette] [cornette] [cornette] [cornette] [cornette] [cornette]
Meltzer is well-documented for being incredibly soft on his past and current buddies/favorites, with that currently being AEW. His well-deserved scathing review of how the Corpus Christi broadcast ended was an outlier, as those running the company deserve a greater abundance of scathing analysis from him. (Thankfully, the 3 sites listed pick up that slack and do so without having any kind of agenda.) He intentionally withholds AEW-related scoops when requested to do so, which no doubt he'd decline to do for someone who's on bad terms with him, such as TNA 5 years ago.

Also, imagine viewing the 3 wrestling sites I listed off with anything but respect and admiration for what they do, instead replying with some lazy emoji imagery that's probably covering for a combination of arrogance and willful ignorance of those 3 sites. Your response comes across as a knee-jerk gotten-to lashing-out, which I've seen before from the likes of Rovert and the NWO Wolfpac Size Matters mark account.
LJimmy

Post by LJimmy »

supersonic wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:41 pm

Meltzer is well-documented for being incredibly soft on his past and current buddies/favorites, with that currently being AEW. His well-deserved scathing review of how the Corpus Christi broadcast ended was an outlier, as those running the company deserve a greater abundance of scathing analysis from him. (Thankfully, the 3 sites listed pick up that slack and do so without having any kind of agenda.) He intentionally withholds AEW-related scoops when requested to do so, which no doubt he'd decline to do for someone who's on bad terms with him, such as TNA 5 years ago.

Also, imagine viewing the 3 wrestling sites I listed off with anything but respect and admiration for what they do, instead replying with some lazy emoji imagery that's probably covering for a combination of arrogance and willful ignorance of those 3 sites. Your response comes across as a knee-jerk gotten-to lashing-out, which I've seen before from the likes of Rovert and the NWO Wolfpac Size Matters mark account.
From what I heard Meltzer immediately walked back on any AEW negativity on the next audio and he's back to his usual shill mode.

Onto Marty staying. I would say this a big deal and nobody is really talking about as to why and how this a bad look for AEW perception wise.

So Marty is going to stick with what's suppose to be the dead brand instead of joining his former stable mates in the supposed hottest promotion in the world? This, people who end re-signing with WWE and free agent talents who choose WWE, ROH and other places instead makes me think that many people in wrestling don't see AEW as being this amazing place and there are certain turn offs and questions regarding them.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

There are only so many top spots in a given promotion.

Even if Marty wants to go to WWE or AEW... which of them are going to pay him main roster WWE money to work 40 dates, give him creative control, give him his own stable, and very likely put the world title on him?

He'd be sixth or seventh in line for the AEW world title and WWE would probably stick him in NXT for three years.
LJimmy

Post by LJimmy »

famicommander wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:00 pm There are only so many top spots in a given promotion.

Even if Marty wants to go to WWE or AEW... which of them are going to pay him main roster WWE money to work 40 dates, give him creative control, give him his own stable, and very likely put the world title on him?

He'd be sixth or seventh in line for the AEW world title and WWE would probably stick him in NXT for three years.
Yes, that's the thing. Certain fans and reporters make it seen like AEW is perfection and is the best choice for everybody. This situation shows that they are not all that they're cracked out to be.

I love how Meltz feels the need to throw in that WWE comparison comment regarding Marty's ROH offer when nobody believed he was ever going to WWE. Everybody thought he was AEW bound the moment his contract expired. Why wouldn't Dave mention how much this ROH is compared to what he would make in AEW and why he wouldn't leave rejoin his Elite buddies?
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

I like Fightful the best at the moment. Feels like straight reported news.
Lynx

Post by Lynx »

Good point on that WWE comparison, reading it you'd assume that AEW wasn't even interested in Marty.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Shanahan wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:17 pm

I like Fightful the best at the moment. Feels like straight reported news.
I also never get the sense from Sapp that he's having to go out of his way to hide a scoop or soften his analysis. He's very straightforward and great at positioning his decision-making on what he keeps private.
AnHonorableMention

supersonic wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:41 pm

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Captain Podcast
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

So cody and Marty relantionship is not good👀👀