ALL PURPOSE CONTRACT STATUS/POTENTIAL DEPARTURES THREAD

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Mr. Mojo Risin

Re: ALL PURPOSE CONTRACT STATUS/POTENTIAL DEPARTURES THREAD

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

famicommander wrote:
maxx_powerz wrote:I suspect the question is rhetorical. But while there have been a lot more departures than signings the last year, I also think there is a lot more stressing over impending departures than celebrating possible new signings. Not sure if that is something particular to ROH fans because of generally negative feelings about the direction of the company or just human nature to worry about things that could happen. Probably both.
ROH's talent drain and booking are ongoing areas of concern and for good reason. There are more big departures than arrivals in the last few years so naturally that's what people are going to talk about.

But there is also a tendency for fans to panic and/or pile on when wrestling companies appear to be struggling. Anyone who has ever been a TNA fan on the internet knows this well. That company has been a gong show and probably should have died multiple times by now, but I literally cannot remember a time when people online weren't talking about their impending doom. TNA has been about to die since about 4 days after it started.

It's pretty similar for every major promotion in the world except WWE, NJPW and CMLL. NOAH, AAA, DG, Lucha Underground, AJPW, etc. I'm not trying to downplay the financial struggles of any of those companies, nor TNA or ROH. But I must have read 500 news stories and 50,000 forum posts saying that one of those companies was due to die any day, and they're all still here.

You rarely see a headline on the wrestling news sites that says, "[insert promotion here] is pretty much operating as normal". They're either the next big thing or they're on their death bed.
Another excellent answer. Digging the feedback.
Brada

Post by Brada »

maxx_powerz wrote:
Brada wrote:If what I heard was true, Cole will get his Bullet Club exit on the way out the door from the Cleaner.
You mentioned in the NJPW thread that their relationship with ROH looks to be on its last legs and we know Omega has a lukewarm relationship with ROH. I'd love to see Kenny get an extended run like AJ's 2014 / 2015, but it feels like wishful thinking.
Maxx....from what I heard while in the same circles with a few folks "in the know", it will be a one shot deal.....
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

i think omega status at this point with roh is good...i hope he returns soon,he is the natural replacement for cole,they need to do it before he wins the iwgp title
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

maxx_powerz wrote:I suspect the question is rhetorical. But while there have been a lot more departures than signings the last year, I also think there is a lot more stressing over impending departures than celebrating possible new signings. Not sure if that is something particular to ROH fans because of generally negative feelings about the direction of the company or just human nature to worry about things that could happen. Probably both.
There is also a real lack of buzzworthy incoming talent. Gresham might have been newly signed, but he's been around not doing much for about a year (remember the feud with Cedric last winter that went nowhere?). When they do bring new talent in, the new talent either isn't very good and/or isn't given a chance to show how good they are.
LJimmy

Post by LJimmy »

Brada wrote:Fish, Cole, any other potential Full Sail participant needs to be contract free for around 90 days before "the ball gets rolling"....
So if that's the case with the 90 days then does that mean Kyle O'Reilly would now be in the clear to sign with WWE?
LJimmy

Post by LJimmy »

Big Red Machine wrote:
There is also a real lack of buzzworthy incoming talent. Gresham might have been newly signed, but he's been around not doing much for about a year (remember the feud with Cedric last winter that went nowhere?). When they do bring new talent in, the new talent either isn't very good and/or isn't given a chance to show how good they are.
By causing delays for people in being able to sign with WWE they're now going to make it even harder for buzzworthy talent to consider ROH as an option if they have long term WWE goals.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Big Red Machine wrote: When they do bring new talent in, the new talent either isn't very good and/or isn't given a chance to show how good they are.
Some people have come in and made immediate impacts recently in my opinion. Bully Ray, the Hardys, Vinny Marseglia, TK O'Ryan, Jay White, Marty Scurll, Will Ospreay, and Cody Rhodes being the biggest examples.

It's not been across the board, though. Punishment Martinez didn't need Kevin Sullivan at all. Lio Rush has been pretty aimless since winning TPT. None of the CMLL guys coming through really get involved in a storyline or feud.
maxx_powerz

Post by maxx_powerz »

Big Red Machine wrote:
I agree, mostly. That said, if they do start a random Gresham push I don't think it's a big deal. Sydal, Edwards and Fish were all random spot fillers at one point too.

When I talk about us liking to worry about departures more than celebrating signings, I kind of had Marty and Will in mind. The ink had barely dried on their contracts when we started worrying about them leaving. But in general, the quality of the departures has been much higher than the quality of the signings.
maxx_powerz

Post by maxx_powerz »

famicommander wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote: When they do bring new talent in, the new talent either isn't very good and/or isn't given a chance to show how good they are.
Some people have come in and made immediate impacts recently in my opinion. Bully Ray, the Hardys, Vinny Marseglia, TK O'Ryan, Jay White, Marty Scurll, Will Ospreay, and Cody Rhodes being the biggest examples.
Yeah, but just because they make impacts doesn't mean they are good. Marty, White and Ospreay are legit, but I'd prefer KOR, Roddy, ACH, Lio or Dijak over a Hardy's rental or any of the other new signings.
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

maxx_powerz wrote:When I talk about us liking to worry about departures more than celebrating signings, I kind of had Marty and Will in mind. The ink had barely dried on their contracts when we started worrying about them leaving. But in general, the quality of the departures has been much higher than the quality of the signings.
The thing with Ospreay and Scurll is that the booking of both those guys has done nothing to make you believe that they're here for long. Ospreay is barely there at all (four matches in 2017, including two in Japan at the Honor Rising shows) while Scurll is being fed random outside jobbers like Dutt and Robinson, and dudes on their way out like Dijak, Rush and Cole.
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

maxx_powerz wrote:But in general, the quality of the departures has been much higher than the quality of the signings.
This is what I thought when I posted the question originally.
rovert

Post by rovert »

monster mafia wrote:i think omega status at this point with roh is good...i hope he returns soon,he is the natural replacement for cole,they need to do it before he wins the iwgp title
What is your basis for saying this?
maxx_powerz

Post by maxx_powerz »

Brada wrote:
maxx_powerz wrote:
Brada wrote:If what I heard was true, Cole will get his Bullet Club exit on the way out the door from the Cleaner.
You mentioned in the NJPW thread that their relationship with ROH looks to be on its last legs and we know Omega has a lukewarm relationship with ROH. I'd love to see Kenny get an extended run like AJ's 2014 / 2015, but it feels like wishful thinking.
Maxx....from what I heard while in the same circles with a few folks "in the know", it will be a one shot deal.....
Interesting. I wonder if Cole and / or Omega are pushing for the match more than ROH is. Obviously we know ROH isn't above bringing someone in for a minute of buzz like with the Hardy's but there doesn't seem like much of a point for a single shot.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

rovert wrote:
monster mafia wrote:i think omega status at this point with roh is good...i hope he returns soon,he is the natural replacement for cole,they need to do it before he wins the iwgp title
What is your basis for saying this?
the same basis that you had about roh not making the uk tour last year...

i put "i think"..just a perception..
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

maxx_powerz wrote:
famicommander wrote:
Yeah, but just because they make impacts doesn't mean they are good. Marty, White and Ospreay are legit, but I'd prefer KOR, Roddy, ACH, Lio or Dijak over a Hardy's rental or any of the other new signings.
I didn't have a problem with the Hardys coming in or a feud with the Bucks, but I hated the idea of them winning the titles just to put the titles on them for a short reign.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

ODonnell wrote:If anyone wants to hear what it sounds like when ROH blocks you from going to WWE, listen to John Pollocks interview with Dijak on the Law this week. After speaking perfectly for every question, he couldn't stop stammering and pausing when asked about the next few months saying everything was up in the air, and hopefully he would have exciting opportunities soon.
rovert

Post by rovert »

Thoughts supersonic?
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Well, I'm finally understood why ROH didn't push ACH to the moon, as a lot of people wish. Since he left ROH, and he's able to wrestle "in his own way" with freedom and all of that, he's being in a lower level. He had a great debut match at EVOLVE with Matt Riddle, ever since, all his matches has been getting worse. He tries to wrestle like he is a technical wizard or something like that, and he isn't. He is a great high-flyer and he should wrestle in his formula/style.

His best singles matches have been against Joe (Conquest Tour 2015) and Naito (WotW NYC 2016). He should wrestle the way people connect with him, and not in the way he thinks is better. His matches with Dunne and ZSJ during WM Week are a great example of this. He tries to overwrestle Thatcher, Dunne and ZSJ and you can see how he's unable to had an awesome match when he tries technical stuff.

I'm not going to say that I'm having with him leaving ROH; bc in ROH he had a great formula/style and always entertained me with his matches. But now I see one of the reasons why he wasn't getting a big main event push.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

AlexROH wrote:Well, I'm finally understood why ROH didn't push ACH to the moon, as a lot of people wish. Since he left ROH, and he's able to wrestle "in his own way" with freedom and all of that, he's being in a lower level. He had a great debut match at EVOLVE with Matt Riddle, ever since, all his matches has been getting worse. He tries to wrestle like he is a technical wizard or something like that, and he isn't. He is a great high-flyer and he should wrestle in his formula/style.

His best singles matches have been against Joe (Conquest Tour 2015) and Naito (WotW NYC 2016). He should wrestle the way people connect with him, and not in the way he thinks is better. His matches with Dunne and ZSJ during WM Week are a great example of this. He tries to overwrestle Thatcher, Dunne and ZSJ and you can see how he's unable to had an awesome match when he tries technical stuff.

I'm not going to say that I'm having with him leaving ROH; bc in ROH he had a great formula/style and always entertained me with his matches. But now I see one of the reasons why he wasn't getting a big main event push.
Right on the money, Alex. ACH when given the freedom to do what he wants in a match, has no clue how to showcase his strengths and minimize his weaknesses. Your two examples of his best matches in ROH were with a HOFer in Samoa Joe, and a brilliant wrestling mind in Naito, who is an absolute genius in laying out a match. ACH won't do shit in Evolve which is why I didn't give a fuck when he left. PWG doesn't seem to be to motivated to bring him back either. Lio Rush on the other hand, was the complete opposite of this and I still think if you had to have one token high flyer on the roster, he was the guy.
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

ACH needs the Performance Center