ALL PURPOSE CONTRACT STATUS/POTENTIAL DEPARTURES THREAD

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Mr. Mojo Risin

Re: ALL PURPOSE CONTRACT STATUS/POTENTIAL DEPARTURES THREAD

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

monster mafia wrote:roh ippv and now this

insider:

Kyle O'Reilly has officially come to terms with EVOLVE. O'Reilly will not be working the Wrestlemania events in Orlando but will be working post-Wrestlemania dates for the company. The two sides had been in discussions of late, but as we reported, they were unable to terms. They reconvened today and were able to make a deal for O'Reilly to come in.
Where is Roque11 to deny this report?
rovert

Post by rovert »

As I said Kyle/EVOLVE was more an issue with Gabe's end than Kyle's. They've obviously worked things out.
Brada

Post by Brada »

Big Red Machine wrote:
Brada wrote:Kyle has been looking his health and family. It is as simple as that.

Health and family?

What exactly are his issues? He isn't injured. Does he have a dying family member?
He's diabetic, which he has said in the past occasionally presents him with some challenges to his wrestling career.
Oh wow, I never knew that. Thanks for answering Big Red...
Brada

Post by Brada »

Getting caught up with this thread after a few days away with a family emergency....so I apologize for my tardiness in replying to posts from days ago.

Bobby Fish is a HUGE loss for ROH in my opinion. To call him a mid-carder who can work main events isn't the way I would categorize Bobby at all. Bobby has been a huge part of the product, particularly over the past year. Losing him is a major blow for ROH, no other way to put that.

Lio Rush- to blow him off as a "14 year old so who cares" or to say that "he couldn't draw flies in a shithouse". Come on now, that's borderline insane to me. Lio Rush was one of the top 5 innovative guys on the roster. I would dare someone to argue that particular point. His move set is fresh, and for his brief time in the business, he is polished and smooth in the ring. I personally think he could use a bit more veteran instruction with ring psychology and selling, but Lio is damn good. Now that WWE has cleared the size barrier, allowing guys with size limitations to compete on a major platform, Lio is going to do big things.

He will take large strides in 2017. Lio Rush will be one of the final 4 in next year's CWC. Mark it down now. Kyle O'Reilly has a chance to do that as well.

For ROH's sake, I am worried about the long term status of Marty Scurll. I don't think he was booked appropriately after winning the TV title. I didn't even like the way he won it to begin with. If you are committed to the splash effect, they should have had him beat Bobby, not hotshot the title from Ospreay to Scurll. Since he has won the title, he hasn't had anything substantial take place yet. Feeding him Adam Cole on his way out doesn't change that in my opinion.

ROH is in definite need for something to get the supportive fan base talking, and I think they are going to pull that off in Orlando, hence the reason to switch the show to IPPV. I will move over to that thread to share some thoughts there.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Brada wrote:Getting caught up with this thread after a few days away with a family emergency....so I apologize for my tardiness in replying to posts from days ago.

Bobby Fish is a HUGE loss for ROH in my opinion. To call him a mid-carder who can work main events isn't the way I would categorize Bobby at all. Bobby has been a huge part of the product, particularly over the past year. Losing him is a major blow for ROH, no other way to put that.

Lio Rush- to blow him off as a "14 year old so who cares" or to say that "he couldn't draw flies in a shithouse". Come on now, that's borderline insane to me. Lio Rush was one of the top 5 innovative guys on the roster. I would dare someone to argue that particular point. His move set is fresh, and for his brief time in the business, he is polished and smooth in the ring. I personally think he could use a bit more veteran instruction with ring psychology and selling, but Lio is damn good. Now that WWE has cleared the size barrier, allowing guys with size limitations to compete on a major platform, Lio is going to do big things.

He will take large strides in 2017. Lio Rush will be one of the final 4 in next year's CWC. Mark it down now. Kyle O'Reilly has a chance to do that as well.

For ROH's sake, I am worried about the long term status of Marty Scurll. I don't think he was booked appropriately after winning the TV title. I didn't even like the way he won it to begin with. If you are committed to the splash effect, they should have had him beat Bobby, not hotshot the title from Ospreay to Scurll. Since he has won the title, he hasn't had anything substantial take place yet. Feeding him Adam Cole on his way out doesn't change that in my opinion.

ROH is in definite need for something to get the supportive fan base talking, and I think they are going to pull that off in Orlando, hence the reason to switch the show to IPPV. I will move over to that thread to share some thoughts there.
I agree with everything Brada says here. I feel like the impending time left on Scrull's contract is like watching the Doomsday Clock.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

i think that the book of scurll is good so far...i hope he stays more time in the company.
Buzz Sawyer

Post by Buzz Sawyer »

Brada wrote:Getting caught up with this thread after a few days away with a family emergency....so I apologize for my tardiness in replying to posts from days ago.

WWE isn't doing a CWC in 2017. They are doing a women's Tournament instead.
rovert

Post by rovert »

Buzz Sawyer wrote: WWE isn't doing a CWC in 2017. They are doing a women's Tournament instead.
That's not true. It is scheduled for September still. However with WWE having so many things going on - the battle for the UK market it could easily slip. The Women's Tournament was originally set for September 2016 itself.
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

If Kyle O'Reilly joins WWE to do a fucking cruiserweight tournament he's a moron. Straight up, a moron. He put effort into putting on mass for what? To be on a show that seemingly few people watch and will eventually turn into Main Event where good matches are happening but nobody cares? He'd be better off working the indies and doing New Japan dates. He'd probably make more money at that too.

Lio Rush will most likely get lost in the shuffle due to his size, lack of charisma and speaking ability. Marty Scurll was blatantly more well rounded than Lio was at the 15th Anniversary, put him in a ring with Austin Aries, Neville, Jack Gallagher or Brian Kendrick and his weaknesses will show almost instantly. It's similar to how TJP is a great wrestler, quite sadly he has the personality of a stone and it shows.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

The Dragon Saga wrote:If Kyle O'Reilly joins WWE to do a fucking cruiserweight tournament he's a moron. Straight up, a moron. He put effort into putting on mass for what? To be on a show that seemingly few people watch and will eventually turn into Main Event where good matches are happening but nobody cares? He'd be better off working the indies and doing New Japan dates. He'd probably make more money at that too.

Lio Rush will most likely get lost in the shuffle due to his size, lack of charisma and speaking ability. Marty Scurll was blatantly more well rounded than Lio was at the 15th Anniversary, put him in a ring with Austin Aries, Neville, Jack Gallagher or Brian Kendrick and his weaknesses will show almost instantly. It's similar to how TJP is a great wrestler, quite sadly he has the personality of a stone and it shows.
I remember when Caprice Coleman interrupted a Lio Rush promo and said, "Now I know why they don't give you the mic.". Funny shit and terribly true. Rush is fucking awful on the mic. Painfully awful.

O'Reilly wants to go the WWE and have his ceiling hit at the CWC, then hey, it's his prerogative. Anticlimactic for sure. But what are you going to do?
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

Lio at the 15th Anniversary looked like someone who didn't have experience, because, well, he doesn't. His selling was weird, his lead ins to Marty's offense weren't great and the final chicken wing looked awkward and he tapped too quick. He's a talented kid, but much like ACH, he seems to think he's a lot bigger and better than he actually is.
King of Indy Style

Post by King of Indy Style »

While I agree with some of the points about Lio, I'm more than willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. The dude's like, 21? 22? And been wrestling what, a year or two? People like Matt Riddle are so, so rare in Wrestling, where they pick it up and run with it in their first year. In a couple of years, I think he'll get the flaws in his his game fixed and he'll really be good.
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

The Dragon Saga wrote:If Kyle O'Reilly joins WWE to do a fucking cruiserweight tournament he's a moron. Straight up, a moron. He put effort into putting on mass for what? To be on a show that seemingly few people watch and will eventually turn into Main Event where good matches are happening but nobody cares? He'd be better off working the indies and doing New Japan dates. He'd probably make more money at that too.

And if he still chooses to go to WWE as a cruiser over ROH, what does that say about current ROH.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

King of Indy Style wrote:While I agree with some of the points about Lio, I'm more than willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. The dude's like, 21? 22? And been wrestling what, a year or two? People like Matt Riddle are so, so rare in Wrestling, where they pick it up and run with it in their first year. In a couple of years, I think he'll get the flaws in his his game fixed and he'll really be good.
Don't get me wrong. I like Lio a lot. Sometimes I forget how young he is because his wrestling acumen is so high despite his relatively short time wrestling.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

JTCole wrote:

And if he still chooses to go to WWE as a cruiser over ROH, what does that say about current ROH.
That WWE is still 10-20X more popular?

I'm not saying ROH is perfect, but the fact that ANY wrestlers at all choose ROH (ie Lethal, Young Bucks) over WWE is an indicator of ROH's progress. Five years ago ANYBODY on the ROH roster would have left for a whiff of WWE.

If you want to criticize ROH, there's a lot to work with without pretending like it's a surprise they're still not on WWE's level.
WOHBuckeye

Post by WOHBuckeye »

famicommander wrote:
JTCole wrote:

That WWE is still 10-20X more popular?

I'm not saying ROH is perfect, but the fact that ANY wrestlers at all choose ROH (ie Lethal, Young Bucks) over WWE is an indicator of ROH's progress. Five years ago ANYBODY on the ROH roster would have left for a whiff of WWE.

If you want to criticize ROH, there's a lot to work with without pretending like it's a surprise they're still not on WWE's level.
I think you're right.

People need to realize for every AJ Styles, CM Punk, Daniel Bryan, there's a dozen Barrett's, Sandows, Cesaros (who will never get his push), and others, and all it takes is looking at someone wrong on the wrong day.
Roque11

Post by Roque11 »

So all this hoopla over Fish and Rush leaving, yet they're still going to be working for ROH. LOL!
rovert

Post by rovert »

Roque11 wrote:So all this hoopla over Fish and Rush leaving, yet they're still going to be working for ROH. LOL!
Cool gimmick post. Listen to the Between The Ropes podcast. Fish inferred him joining WWE in June.
cgstong
Admin
Admin

Post by cgstong »

rovert wrote:
Roque11 wrote:So all this hoopla over Fish and Rush leaving, yet they're still going to be working for ROH. LOL!
Cool gimmick post. Listen to the Between The Ropes podcast. Fish inferred him joining WWE in June.
Good cause there's some bookings in June I'm hoping he can keep
If you're having any issues with the forum tweet at me Twitter.com/ROH_World
or Fb.com/ROHworld
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

Even if the non-contracted talent are staying in ROH they'll never be pushed to any meaningful role.