ALL PURPOSE CONTRACT STATUS/POTENTIAL DEPARTURES THREAD

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
cgstong
Admin
Admin

Re: ALL PURPOSE CONTRACT STATUS/POTENTIAL DEPARTURES THREAD

Post by cgstong »

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:
rovert wrote:This is a time period where ROH should be building real relationships with talent. It is a different culture but there's a lot of talent who will stick with Dragon Gate, New Japan, STARDOM etc out of loyalty. This time last year other members of the Bullet Club were weighing up their options to go to WWE but out of a combination of better contract terms, promises of pushes (which New Japan held up their end on - take note ROH) and loyalty they stayed. But as someone told me a few months ago there's no more Honor in Ring of Honor.
How does Christopher Daniels factor in his backstage role? What is his relationship with Delirious?
Daniels relationship with Delirious is good from all accounts but it is also a situation where those in certain roles knew someone else had to take some of the weight away from Delirious. You can also look to Kelly being a friend to Delirious but also knowing some things had to change thus we have Daniels and now the YB able to make certain decisions.

I think we all should also factor in that the doom and gloom outlook is just a realistic view of the backstage politics that is within any wrestling promotion. I think we tend to focus on ROH because of it's impact on the indie scene but trust me, there are MUCH WORSE political things going on in other smaller feds that would blow your mind if they got out.
If you're having any issues with the forum tweet at me Twitter.com/ROH_World
or Fb.com/ROHworld
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

The stuff that happens on a regular basis in AAA makes TNA look downright professional.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

cgstong wrote:
Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:
rovert wrote:This is a time period where ROH should be building real relationships with talent. It is a different culture but there's a lot of talent who will stick with Dragon Gate, New Japan, STARDOM etc out of loyalty. This time last year other members of the Bullet Club were weighing up their options to go to WWE but out of a combination of better contract terms, promises of pushes (which New Japan held up their end on - take note ROH) and loyalty they stayed. But as someone told me a few months ago there's no more Honor in Ring of Honor.
How does Christopher Daniels factor in his backstage role? What is his relationship with Delirious?
Daniels relationship with Delirious is good from all accounts but it is also a situation where those in certain roles knew someone else had to take some of the weight away from Delirious. You can also look to Kelly being a friend to Delirious but also knowing some things had to change thus we have Daniels and now the YB able to make certain decisions.

I think we all should also factor in that the doom and gloom outlook is just a realistic view of the backstage politics that is within any wrestling promotion. I think we tend to focus on ROH because of it's impact on the indie scene but trust me, there are MUCH WORSE political things going on in other smaller feds that would blow your mind if they got out.
Interesting. One has to wonder, where the fuck is Koff in all of this? Is he that clueless as to what is going on? If the tension in the back is as bad as we have been led to believe, is he treading into Jim Herd Inept Dipshit territory? If talent starts defecting rapidly, at what point do you start !ooking in-house to fix the problems?
WHG

Post by WHG »

I think talent leaving and houses being down will eventually get Koff's attention. When business was still trending up, there was no chance they'd make real changes. The problem is they may think they fixed everything with Kelly's new role.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

AlexROH wrote:
cgstong wrote:From the Torch:

-Former Ring of Honor TV Champion Bobby still has not signed a new contract with the company. PWTorch has learned that Fish will appear for the company as a freelance worker for the time being. Fish is currently advertised for ROH’s TV Tapings on Jan. 14 in Atlanta. His other announced match is for Feb. 4 in Dallas where he is set to face Lio Rush. Fish’s contract is set to expire at midnight on Dec. 31, 2016.

Radican’s Analysis: It’s good to see that Fish will continue to work for ROH despite not coming to an agreement on a new contract. According to multiple sources, Fish was extremely frustrated with the way he was booked in the company in 2016. ROH would be wise to do what it takes to lock Fish up, as he’s an extremely talented wrestler that is valuable to the company as a singles wrestler and as one half of ReDRagon with Kyle O’Reilly.
Frustrated with his booking? Wtf, he has been one of ROH's best wrestlers this year. Bobby started the year with a great winning feud with Roddy, he choked out Tomohiro Fuking Ishii on PPV and he had an awesome ROH World TV Title reign with a lot of great matches. And don't forget he won SOTF... I don't know what is a good booking for Bobby?

Doesnt make sense PWTorch's comments to me.
I actually think that the belt going to Ishii hurt FIsh's win, as it would have meant a lot more for him to beat Roddy for it. The win over Ishii was good for him, but with the belt on the line the finish never felt in doubt, whereas it would have against Roderick.
I also disagree that his TV Title reign was great. He was put in matches with talented guys and the matches delivered, but there was no meant to anything he did after the Roddy feud (aside from the short and terribly mangled Page feud).
WHG

Post by WHG »

What a dick...
Big Mike Elgin (via Twitter)
The constant bad news (not for me) pouring in is rather funny to me. I tried to let everyone know, no one cared to listen.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

WHG wrote:What a dick...
Big Mike Elgin (via Twitter)
The constant bad news (not for me) pouring in is rather funny to me. I tried to let everyone know, no one cared to listen.
What an asshole. Delirious had faith in this douche bag and he shit his pants in return. Fuck him.
rovert

Post by rovert »

Elgin IS right though. He was one of the first people to speak out about ROH's communication issues with talent.
WHG

Post by WHG »

rovert wrote:Elgin IS right though. He was one of the first people to speak out about ROH's communication issues with talent.
That is true...it's such a bad look for him, though. I genuinely thought he learned something when he had the tantrum back in 2014. Publicizing his "departure" and then cryptically gloating does nothing for his career or perception professionally. He fancies himself such a student of the business you'd think he'd see it.

So, what's the latest on O'Reilly? I saw where you were told the Wreddit guy's stuff was untrue. Is it just the medicals timing that's off or is the WWE not in play at all? I can't imagine he'd sign anywhere outside of the WWE (including ROH) without Fish signing too.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

rovert wrote:Elgin IS right though. He was one of the first people to speak out about ROH's communication issues with talent.
I could tolerate anyone saying this but Elgin. Hearing him espouse "I told you so" rhetoric makes me want to vomit.
rovert

Post by rovert »

WHG wrote:Publicizing his "departure" and then cryptically gloating does nothing for his career or perception professionally. He fancies himself such a student of the business you'd think he'd see it.

That's not true a lot of wrestlers dislike ROH and Delirious these days. It is a fraternity these days.

If I was wrestler and if I wanted to endear myself to WWE, WWN, FloSlam and some indie promoters I'd rip on ROH as a career move.
Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:
I could tolerate anyone saying this but Elgin. Hearing him espouse "I told you so" rhetoric makes me want to vomit.
BUT HE DID THOUGH. I with respect just care about the facts of the matter I don't know you or you as a poster yet.
WHG

Post by WHG »

Regardless of the promotion, it's impossible for people in power in other promotions to not view it as how he does business. Given the prevalence of talent all over wrestling throughout history unhappy with certain aspects of how their own promotions are run, talents critical of creative, etc..., you're telling me the way he's handled this won't give them pause about how he'd act if they hired him and he wasn't 100% happy? I get that other talent love shit like this, but this is a classic "still tongue" example that Regal referenced when it comes to people that really matter.

Distancing yourself is one thing...being blatantly immature isn't a positive career move in any walk of life, especially when your current employer has a business relationship with the people you're ripping. Again, it's just a bad look.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

WHG wrote:Regardless of the promotion, it's impossible for people in power in other promotions to not view it as how he does business. Given the prevalence of talent all over wrestling throughout history unhappy with certain aspects of how their own promotions are run, talents critical of creative, etc..., you're telling me the way he's handled this won't give them pause about how he'd act if they hired him and he wasn't 100% happy? I get that other talent love shit like this, but this is a classic "still tongue" example that Regal referenced when it comes to people that really matter.

Distancing yourself is one thing...being blatantly immature isn't a positive career move in any walk of life, especially when your current employer has a business relationship with the people you're ripping. Again, it's just a bad look.
He makes a good point. Elgin has come across like a petulant child over the years and his credibility may seem fucking nonexistent. When Flair napalmed his bridge with Herd, you couldn't help but side with Flair. Elgin doesn't elicit the same respect.
rovert

Post by rovert »

Elgin doesn't lack for work though.

People who have been critical of ROH generally land on their fast after leaving the company these days. Personally unaware of Regal holding someone falling out with ROH as a negative. Partly due to WWE signing dudes to sign them, partly ex-ROHers vouching for each other and partly ROH has a well earned rep. Eventually falling out or getting frustrated with ROH is the eventual consequence of working there these days. What communication issues and broken promises breeds unfortunately.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

rovert wrote:Elgin doesn't lack for work though.

People who have been critical of ROH generally land on their fast after leaving the company these days. Personally unaware of Regal holding someone falling out with ROH as a negative. Partly due to WWE signing dudes to sign them, partly ex-ROHers vouching for each other and partly ROH has a well earned rep. Eventually falling out or getting frustrated with ROH is the eventual consequence of working there these days. What communication issues and broken promises breeds unfortunately.
I can see this making sense.
rovert

Post by rovert »

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:
rovert wrote:Elgin doesn't lack for work though.

I can see this making sense.
When you have Kevin Owens as WWE Champion and Gabe as the indie kingmaker the die is kinda cast against ROH.
WHG

Post by WHG »

I just realized who I was trying to make a case to that shouting to the world that you're right about something when it doesn't make an actual difference to you isn't always a good idea. Haha. Never mind.

It won't hurt Elgin today for all of the reasons that you mentioned. Someday it will catch up with him, though. There are lots of examples of guys who aren't happy with things who've handled business privately and certainly not been worse for it.
cgstong
Admin
Admin

Post by cgstong »

Not sure what it means but Corey Hollis just tweeted an image of the ROH logo

https://twitter.com/CoreyHollis/status/ ... 4571948032
or Fb.com/ROHworld
cgstong
Admin
Admin

Post by cgstong »

When it comes to Elgin's tweet, it is petulant for sure but with A LOT of baggage that he has talked about on podcasts with me and others. Lots of things went sour between him and ROH and while fans had their view on him which obviously went south, there were a lot of things Elgin stayed quiet about until they started to leak out.

This tweet is of course somewhat ill timed and of course can come across poorly to some. Given the communication issues, him trying to suggest talent (not just his students), his interactions with the office during certain parts of his career including his Title run, and other issues it's hard to blame him. Unfortunately the court of public appeal is not always going to fall in someone's favor, but doubtful as already stated that it will have any affect on his JNPW role.
or Fb.com/ROHworld
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

Elgin is saying the truth but i have no respect for the way he is using to deliver that, he is reacting childish.