ALL PURPOSE CONTRACT STATUS/POTENTIAL DEPARTURES THREAD

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
supersonic

Re: ALL PURPOSE CONTRACT STATUS/POTENTIAL DEPARTURES THREAD

Post by supersonic »

Joe Lanza wrote:
supersonic wrote:In 6 months, who on the ROH roster today is gone?
Kyle O'Reilly. Adam Cole.
LJimmy

Post by LJimmy »

supersonic wrote:
Joe Lanza wrote:
supersonic wrote:In 6 months, who on the ROH roster today is gone?
Kyle O'Reilly. Adam Cole.
I think everybody knows where to expect Cole to go, but what about O'Reilly? There's the obvious WWE speculation since they are trying to hire everybody, but there's also been the feeling of full time New Japan.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Sounds even more reasonable than London, who I agreed with also.
Rich of Honor

Post by Rich of Honor »

So Scarlett Bordeux was just on Monday Night RAW.

I know Deonna Purrazzo has been all over and still appears on WWE tv, is it possible Bordeux has the same understanding, or does this mean she's with the "E" now?
SandsShifter

Post by SandsShifter »

Rich of Honor wrote:So Scarlett Bordeux was just on Monday Night RAW.

I know Deonna Purrazzo has been all over and still appears on WWE tv, is it possible Bordeux has the same understanding, or does this mean she's with the "E" now?
I'm guessing it's a one-off as a jobber to make Nia look strong.
DBSommer

Post by DBSommer »

K.O. wrote:
jordidebaas wrote:ACH>>>>Cedric
I couldn't possibly disagree more.
Every show I went to, the crowd pop for ACH was always far, far greater than Cedric, even when Ced was being pushed. It's almost painful when you're cheering for a guy, and you realize you're one of the few who are doing it since you can hear yourself, like I was for Ced.

Seriously, every time i hear some SOB moaning about how ROH 'dropped the ball' on Cedric, I want to shout, 'If you thought he was great, then why weren't you at the show fucking cheering for him like I was?!' He might have gotten cheers after a great match, but it never carried over to the next show. It was at best polite applause going in, if that. He was pushed, and didn't get over. I liked him, but I don't pretend something was going on that wasn't.
FanSinceHDNet

Post by FanSinceHDNet »

DBSommer wrote:
K.O. wrote:
jordidebaas wrote:ACH>>>>Cedric
I couldn't possibly disagree more.
Every show I went to, the crowd pop for ACH was always far, far greater than Cedric, even when Ced was being pushed. It's almost painful when you're cheering for a guy, and you realize you're one of the few who are doing it since you can hear yourself, like I was for Ced.

Seriously, every time i hear some SOB moaning about how ROH 'dropped the ball' on Cedric, I want to shout, 'If you thought he was great, then why weren't you at the show fucking cheering for him like I was?!' He might have gotten cheers after a great match, but it never carried over to the next show. It was at best polite applause going in, if that. He was pushed, and didn't get over. I liked him, but I don't pretend something was going on that wasn't.
His final match and the polite "thank you, Cedric" chant made me sad.
K.O.

Post by K.O. »

I don't disagree that ACH was more over. I just never saw it personally with ACH- not that he was bad, just not special to me. Conversely I was a Cedric mark, the match I saw him have with Elgin in Dayton was better than any match I've seen live from ACH as well.
King of Indy Style

Post by King of Indy Style »

If Cedric had gotten the matches with Samoa Joe, Shinsuke Nakamura, Tetsuya Naito, and all the other big name stars ACH got to wrestle, they would have been just as good, if not better.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

ACH has charisma and personality, which is where Cedric always fell short in my book. Both have eye-popping athleticism.
King of Indy Style

I think ACH has too much personality and charisma, to the point of being annoying. Coming out dressed like an anime character didn't help either.
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

Is this the new thing to claim that Alexander was this huge wasted opportunity even though they gave him the ball a bunch of times and tanked over and over ?
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
King of Indy Style

Thelone wrote:Is this the new thing to claim that Alexander was this huge wasted opportunity even though they gave him the ball a bunch of times and tanked over and over ?

I'm not gonna say that he should have been World Champion or the top star or anything, I just think he would have been more entertaining in ACH's role of wrestling the top foreign/returning stars
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

King of Indy Style wrote:
Thelone wrote:Is this the new thing to claim that Alexander was this huge wasted opportunity even though they gave him the ball a bunch of times and tanked over and over ?

I'm not gonna say that he should have been World Champion or the top star or anything, I just think he would have been more entertaining in ACH's role of wrestling the top foreign/returning stars
I don't believe Ishii would agree with that.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Good to hear that Jay Lethal will be staying.
DBSommer

Post by DBSommer »

When he had his 'breakout' match in the E's CWC, all of a sudden history was rewritten and he was full of pure awesomeness and why oh why did he not get this monster push stupid ROH bad, bad ROH look at what you passed on. I think even AAW was jumping on the bandwagon when they had Cedric and Elgin on a card, saying it was a match ROH should have had. Except they did at least twice, one of them being hyped as Cedric's reward for winning his feud with Roddy.

And afterward he still wasn't over.

There was a bit of it on this site too, as I recall. I'm shocked you forgot as everyone was shitting on ROH for missing the 'Cedric opportunity'. That they did push him and he failed to get over, as you pointed out, wasn't regarded as relevant.

Looking over some E stuff, I see they passed on giving the title to Awesome Ced and gave it to TJ 'I not only have no charisma, I suck it out of a room' Perkins. Spanky... fucking... Spanky :roll: and Rich Swann (hey, someone who was actually over), while Ced is in a fighting over a woman storyline or something.

BTW, I actually like watching TJ, but never let him near the mic. He's worse than Roddy on one.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

DBSommer wrote:
When he had his 'breakout' match in the E's CWC, all of a sudden history was rewritten and he was full of pure awesomeness and why oh why did he not get this monster push stupid ROH bad, bad ROH look at what you passed on. I think even AAW was jumping on the bandwagon when they had Cedric and Elgin on a card, saying it was a match ROH should have had. Except they did at least twice, one of them being hyped as Cedric's reward for winning his feud with Roddy.

And afterward he still wasn't over.

There was a bit of it on this site too, as I recall. I'm shocked you forgot as everyone was shitting on ROH for missing the 'Cedric opportunity'. That they did push him and he failed to get over, as you pointed out, wasn't regarded as relevant.

Looking over some E stuff, I see they passed on giving the title to Awesome Ced and gave it to TJ 'I not only have no charisma, I suck it out of a room' Perkins. Spanky... fucking... Spanky :roll: and Rich Swann (hey, someone who was actually over), while Ced is in a fighting over a woman storyline or something.

BTW, I actually like watching TJ, but never let him near the mic. He's worse than Roddy on one.
Cedric was delivering in the ring at that time. The problem was that he wasn't put in a position for people to care about him. I don't remember a single thing that he did between the title shot against Elgin and the heel turn nine months later other than the TV Title match at ASE- which only happened because ACH missed the show), and the reason for that is Delirious gave him absolutely nothing to do for those nine months. And then, after the Moose feud ended, he spent the next nine months doing absolutely nothing. That's not his fault. That the booker's, for making it impossible for him to gain traction.
WHG

Post by WHG »

Cedric was delivering inconsistently in the ring. That was kind of the story of his ROH run. He had stuff to do in that timeframe as well. After underdelivering on PPV with Roddy, he had the shot at Elgin that was a huge letdown after their first match.

In the months that followed, he had a feud with Ciampa that produced some decent matches. He was also given the chance to work with the following over the next several months: ACH, AJ Styles, Adam Cole, Jay Lethal, Christopher Daniels and Matt Sydal (on PPV). I don't give a fuck how you're being booked, if you get thrown in the ring with that collection of talent and can't come out of it with anything truly memorable, that tells me something.