ALL PURPOSE CONTRACT STATUS/POTENTIAL DEPARTURES THREAD

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
cgstong
Admin
Admin

Re: ALL PURPOSE CONTRACT STATUS/POTENTIAL DEPARTURES THREAD

Post by cgstong »

rohfan237 wrote:I know it's tough for a lot of you to swallow, but most of the talent in ROH is not happy there right now. The more guys leave and have success, guys like Ciampa and Alexander, who were constantly floundering in the promotion, guys who were not guaranteed anything when they left, the more guys are going to be willing to leave and bet on themselves. There's a path to success without the company, and the trajectory of having future success with the company is probably as low as ever.

Remember when this narrative started in May, and then Moose ditched ROH for TNA, Roddy signed with WWE, and Cedric left? Then ACH? Elgin decided against re-signing at the beginning of the year despite being offered a title win at WK. Now at least a couple more? I'm not saying there will be a "Exodus" come 12/31, but there will be more guys not re-signing and eventually leaving, and there is precedent. Quite frankly, for the sake of ROH, I hope all the rumored names don't leave.

I can't believe people don't think ROH would book KO/Cole exactly the way they have with these circumstances in mind. This company doesn't think anyone is ever leaving them, despite it already blasting them in the face multiple times. Why did they give Moose the biggest rub ROH/NJPW week? Why did Roddy go over Jay Briscoe two shows before he was done, the show before Jay Briscoe would challenge for the title in the main event of a PPV?

Time will tell. By that time I'm sure I will be banned.
As the owner of ROHworld I can say that so far you've done nothing "ban worthy" other than believing somehow you know more than others which may or may nto be true depending on the person. But I will say chill with the calling people out on the internet as if it somehow is going to add to your ego or anyone else's that they won an online argument. That's just fruitless.

On the topic of people being let go while being under contract, yes it is stupid but it has happened in ROH, WWE, TNA, and a lot of other places. So it's not necessarily always concrete proof that a guy is staying just because they got a title. (also just saying this isn't necessarily a direct response only to ROHfan)
If you're having any issues with the forum tweet at me Twitter.com/ROH_World
or Fb.com/ROHworld
cgstong
Admin
Admin

Post by cgstong »

Also to respond to some other comments made, I can tell you that on good authority the exodus that people were afraid of were semi true but that also unlikely to happen with a few exceptions (mainly Cole). Believe them or not is up to you guys, but I would say if you listen to the Torch, proWrestling.net, or The Observer you're getting mostly truths and/or truths that they are told by the people that talk to them. And yeah, sometimes will they report something that they know will help a company out when it comes to ROH, absolutely and who can blame them. If you do blame them, that's fine but honestly it's not that huge of a hit to journalism, at least IMO. It's why while running PWP with our senior editor and co-founder who has a degree in Journalism and now his Masters in English we generally tried to stay away from certain stories no matter what others wanted us to report or not to report.
If you're having any issues with the forum tweet at me Twitter.com/ROH_World
or Fb.com/ROHworld
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Thanks for weighing in on this, cgstong.

It's obvious that most of the posters here can discriminate between those that are willing to engage in conversation and egoists that rely on speculation or supposedly privileged materials to elevate themselves above others. Most of the ideas that rohfan237--a most distinct burner-account registry as there ever was--have been discussed so many times in prior topics that they don't need heavygoing capitulation from someone that has not evidenced any respect for the product or for the users on this board.

I understand the margins of ROH's business left by the biggest journalism outlets might leave other wanting, and for some outside-industry people to investigate some of the goings-on of the company, but I don't much condone the overly antagonistic, and somewhat unreasonable, tone that has been developing in wrestling fora. In abundance and permeation, that sort of language only detracts from measured reporting and thoughtful discussion.
leenie426

Post by leenie426 »

cgstong wrote:
rohfan237 wrote:I know it's tough for a lot of you to swallow, but most of the talent in ROH is not happy there right now. The more guys leave and have success, guys like Ciampa and Alexander, who were constantly floundering in the promotion, guys who were not guaranteed anything when they left, the more guys are going to be willing to leave and bet on themselves. There's a path to success without the company, and the trajectory of having future success with the company is probably as low as ever.

Remember when this narrative started in May, and then Moose ditched ROH for TNA, Roddy signed with WWE, and Cedric left? Then ACH? Elgin decided against re-signing at the beginning of the year despite being offered a title win at WK. Now at least a couple more? I'm not saying there will be a "Exodus" come 12/31, but there will be more guys not re-signing and eventually leaving, and there is precedent. Quite frankly, for the sake of ROH, I hope all the rumored names don't leave.

I can't believe people don't think ROH would book KO/Cole exactly the way they have with these circumstances in mind. This company doesn't think anyone is ever leaving them, despite it already blasting them in the face multiple times. Why did they give Moose the biggest rub ROH/NJPW week? Why did Roddy go over Jay Briscoe two shows before he was done, the show before Jay Briscoe would challenge for the title in the main event of a PPV?

Time will tell. By that time I'm sure I will be banned.
As the owner of ROHworld I can say that so far you've done nothing "ban worthy" other than believing somehow you know more than others which may or may nto be true depending on the person. But I will say chill with the calling people out on the internet as if it somehow is going to add to your ego or anyone else's that they won an online argument. That's just fruitless.

On the topic of people being let go while being under contract, yes it is stupid but it has happened in ROH, WWE, TNA, and a lot of other places. So it's not necessarily always concrete proof that a guy is staying just because they got a title. (also just saying this isn't necessarily a direct response only to ROHfan)
What if Cole wins the belt back and Daniels wins this tournament? People would be less angry if Daniels beats heel Cole who's gone in the spring than babyface O'Reilly for the belt right?

Wrestlers come & go, we can take it as a positive that they re-signed Silas, but what about Adam Cole (all but gone - you have to mention him though), Jay Lethal (rumored to have signed), War Machine (12/31), Nigel McGuinness (12/31), Lio Rush (Feb/March-ish), BJ Whitmer, Steve Corino, Bobby Cruise (yes only a ring announcer - but a staple of the company & very popular with the guys), Bobby Fish, Kyle O'Reilly.

Face it with the big money spent on the Bucks - we are losing some of the above names.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

BREAKING: MCGUINNESS OUT AS ROH MATCHMAKER
Executive Committee to Oversee Responsibilities

Earlier this evening, with heavy hearts, Ring of Honor officials accepted the resignation of ROH Matchmaker Nigel McGuinness.

Speculation surrounding McGuinness’ sudden resignation has begun to boil among ROH officials. While some chastised his leniency toward Bullet Club’s behavior in the summer, others believe that now McGuinness may be under extreme duress from Bullet Club’s Adam Cole for changing the stipulations of the Final Battle main event just days in advance.

One of ROH’s all-time greats, the former ROH World Champion has resigned. ROH management has announced it is forming an executive committee to oversee matchmaking in ROH. We wish Nigel McGuinness the best of luck in his future.
Memphis Mark

Post by Memphis Mark »

Maybe ROH is cutting some expenses . The company was flying Nigel in from LA to be the on the screen match maker. Was he doing anything else behind the curtain or just playing the authority figure ?
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Memphis Mark wrote:Maybe ROH is cutting some expenses . The company was flying Nigel in from LA to be the on the screen match maker. Was he doing anything else behind the curtain or just playing the authority figure ?
Who cares? I love Nigel, but his on air persona of Commissioner cut his balls off. I wouldn't mind him replacing Corino if that's the plan.
Vanilla Gorilla

Post by Vanilla Gorilla »

Brada wrote:Jax Dane...............oh boy, I hope not. Had to watch him for about 9 minutes in Arlington. I will never get those 9 minutes back.

Joe Hendry.............some of the best entrances in the business, no doubt about it. The second his feet touches the mats outside the ring during his entrance, the show is over.

Chase Owens, Roppongi, and Beaver Boys would be cool.
Jax Dane skips leg day
Brada

Post by Brada »

Lol, that ain't no joke
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Insider:

Ring of Honor announced on their website that former ROH champion Nigel McGuinness would no longer be the company matchmaker going forward. That was a storyline position and currently, McGuinness is still with Ring of Honor.

The move was made as a precursor for a number of reasons. The primary reason was in case ROH needs to slide McGuinness into a commentary role should Steve Corino depart the company at the end of the month, as Corino obviously has a WWE offer on the table to work in the Performance Center as a Coach.

With all the talk of WWE going on a hiring spree going into 2017, one also has to wonder whethere there has been any interest in WWE bringing McGuinnness into the fold as he's well known as an excellent trainer. Moving him out of the Matchmaker role would make it easier for ROH to exit McGuinness if that is the end game here.
Roque11

Post by Roque11 »

Nigel looks like a coward for resigning.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Roque11 wrote:Nigel looks like a coward for resigning.
why did you say that?

i dont understand.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Dude. It's kayfabe for Christ's sakes.
FanSinceHDNet

Post by FanSinceHDNet »

If Corino AND Nigel leave, and they want to go strictly PBP and Color, is anyone out there that has potential?

And count me as someone who liked the Riccaboni/Scott team. It's a shame Veda left because she's the one I'd turn to, ASAP.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

monster mafia wrote:Insider:

With all the talk of WWE going on a hiring spree going into 2017, one also has to wonder whethere there has been any interest in WWE bringing McGuinnness into the fold as he's well known as an excellent trainer. Moving him out of the Matchmaker role would make it easier for ROH to exit McGuinness if that is the end game here.
McGuinness would be used best as a Performance Center trainer. I love the idea of him finally working for the WWE under these terms.
FanSinceHDNet wrote:If Corino AND Nigel leave, and they want to go strictly PBP and Color, is anyone out there that has potential?

And count me as someone who liked the Riccaboni/Scott team. It's a shame Veda left because she's the one I'd turn to, ASAP.
If there are no long-term plans for a replacement, then there are surely many at-hand talents they could use on a weekly basis--as already mentioned by other posters--like Shelley, Daniels, Taven, Whitmer, or maybe even Martini if that relationship is still amicable.
Roque11

Post by Roque11 »

monster mafia wrote:
why did you say that?

i dont understand.
Nigel looks like he's backing down from Cole. Adding more evidence that he's always been incompetent as an authority figure.
christopherclinton55

Post by christopherclinton55 »

I am still hoping that Jay Lethal didn't resign with roh
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

christopherclinton55 wrote:I am still hoping that Jay Lethal didn't resign with roh
No. Nigel resigned. Oh wait. You meant re-sign.
christopherclinton55

Post by christopherclinton55 »

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:
christopherclinton55 wrote:I am still hoping that Jay Lethal didn't resign with roh
No. Nigel resigned. Oh wait. You meant re-sign.
Yes I meant re-sign, you know leave this company? so others don't have to sit through his matches and then moan about it.
Last edited by Wilson on Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed namecalling
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Why are you so hostile? Could be you have heat with several veteran posters on this forum like The Dragon Saga. Or maybe you are completely incapable of making a persuasive argument in any capacity.
Last edited by Wilson on Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed namecalling