ALL PURPOSE CONTRACT STATUS/POTENTIAL DEPARTURES THREAD

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
BurningHammer

Re: ALL PURPOSE CONTRACT STATUS/POTENTIAL DEPARTURES THREAD

Post by BurningHammer »

FanSinceHDNet wrote:I think you guys are assuming this George Carroll person did a lot more than he did.

Everything that Meltzer and Johnson have ever said is that Delirious, Kevin Kelly, Steve Corino, Christopher Daniels, and BJ Whitmer have been the ones making the final decisions for quite some time.

The only thing I've ever heard George Carroll participate in was helping mold reDRagon. Yeah, they've been super successful, but in reality, it seems to be from the sparse amount of interviews out there, a lot of the character development is "Guy X says he wants to do Y, ends up with feedback, does Z." There is a lack of reporting on ROH, for sure, but what there has been indicates that the company is pretty free-flowing.

Side note: what's ROH's policy on guys doing interviews or podcasts? There's very few ROH guys that do podcasts or interviews. Internal policy, maybe?
Carroll's roles apparently ranged quite a bit with a lot little areas in ROH from PPV stuff, Event booking and few other things here and there. He put in a lot of effort and deserves credit on those things, but it was more he was friends with boys which helped a lot at time where there just wasn't a lot of communication form anyone's end but that's apparently changed with Kelly being involved.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Joe Lanza wrote:
syxxpakk wrote:All of that seems petty to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The missed flight is certainly not petty, especially when the reason was very, very weak (no ride to the airport) and the communication was poor ("broken" cell phone, which was confirmed by friends, but in this day and age when there is a will there is a way when everyone on Earth has a phone, plus social media, etc). It was also the biggest match of his career to that point (a strongly built bout vs Lethal).

Almost missing the Nakamura match, and then not having his gear, would probably be overlooked if not for the above situation preceding it. That one no doubt shook the NJPW office, who have always liked him as a talent and actually wanted to bring him in 2-3 years ago but balked due to these things.

His locker room demeanor/rep could be considered petty, but that's pro wrestling. That isn't isolated to ROH, btw. He's had issues in other places, including his home base in Austin, where I was at a show where he went twice as long as he was instructed to, pissing off a very respected local veteran who wanted to kill him for burning out the room and cutting into his main event time.

I've interviewed him twice and spoken to him briefly a few times. I know a few of his friends. I like him and think he's a bit misunderstood as a person. But he has had some issues that have cost him opportunities, and not just in ROH. By all rights he should have been in NJPW a long time ago. The NOAH tour was a test run, and he seemed to have passed. He seems real focused right now, and is putting in some of the best work of his career. The spark is back. He clearly wasn't happy for much of his ROH time, no matter what the reasons or who was at fault.
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

Joe and Rich can be very hit and miss but the above is 100% on point.

Not only that, but take into account for anyone who watched all of The Kevin Steen Show interviews, Kevin essentially admitted to not liking ACH at first and finding him to be annoying and disrespectful. Through the Weekend Escapades, that tune seemed to change as he and ACH seemed to engage in a friendly manner but I also recall Steen taking the piss out of ACH during matches seemingly out of the blue, whether that be banter or not. I don't think anyone can doubt ACH has a lot of pros, but he has as many negatives too.

As I said on a previous page, let him go. If he doesn't want to be there, he shouldn't have to be. That's life in every job. I'm sure anyone on here who has worked a full-time job can understand that sometimes you feel held back, but often there are reasons.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

VoW would be even more interesting if you directly addressed them on their platforms regarding their supposed misses. Not an insult, just something that'll help them develop stronger fingers on the pulse than doing on here, and unlike F4W, actually seek out feedback including constructive criticism, even if it's harsh and challenging.
The Dragon Saga

I have. I understand what their doing though, I have an account on the forum I just don't use it much, sometimes I pop over to see what's going on as I know that's where Rovert frequents and I like to see what controversy hes causing this week, usually something about ROH, but as I've mentioned previously he and others on Twitter have all but admitted they want to find holes in ROH because they think Dave has shown pro-ROH bias and reports things from the offices point of view and not from a "insiders" POV. Joe and Rich are good, sometimes they just word things a little weird. Coincidentally I went on Reddit and the post you made from Joe is up there so I had a peak onto VOW for the first time in a bit. Same ol', same ol'.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

FWIW, I find Trevor far more reliable than Radican.
The Dragon Saga

Depends on the situation, I don't think Radican wants to be an insider, I think Trevor does.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Trevor hasn't come close to having as much egg on his face as Radican got for the supposed Ospreay and Ibushi scoops.
The Dragon Saga

I don't know what Radican said referencing either to be honest. Again, never viewed him as a "scoopz" guy, just an extremely invested fan.

And for what's worth, this just cropped up on Reddit which I recall reading but completely forgot about it. If anyone thinks ACH is a saint, it's not just ROH who have had problems with him, so has Beyond Wrestling:

https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/ ... e/cwq46sj/
ACH held me up for money after we had agreed in May of 2011 that he would wrestle for us in September of 2011 if I covered the cost of his flight. He had just started working for ROH at the time and there were a ton of ROH guys on the show that I hadn't worked with before so I didn't know what would happen if I didn't meet his demands. We had a very unpleasant conversation that was in the room over from the locker room so when we walked back into the locker room all of the boys knew something was up. I made a joke to try and diffuse the situation but this set him off said if I kept running my mouth he was going to kill me. At that point I just wanted to pay him and send him home but for better or worse he ended up working the match he was advertised for. After the match he was acting as if everything was cool. I have zero interest in working with him going forward.

It's a shame it didn't work out because he is a PHENOMENAL wrestler and Beyond Wrestling played a HUGE role in helping him ply his craft on a national platform. We put together an IndieGoGo campaign where fans could buy merchandise at a discounted price to pay for his plane ticket to participate in the first ever Tournament For Tomorrow where he wrestled AR Fox, Pinkie Sanchez, and Aaron Epic all in one night.
alitigress

Post by alitigress »

The Dragon Saga wrote:I don't know what Radican said referencing either to be honest. Again, never viewed him as a "scoopz" guy, just an extremely invested fan.

And for what's worth, this just cropped up on Reddit which I recall reading but completely forgot about it. If anyone thinks ACH is a saint, it's not just ROH who have had problems with him, so has Beyond Wrestling:

ACH held me up for money after we had agreed in May of 2011 that he would wrestle for us in September of 2011 if I covered the cost of his flight. He had just started working for ROH at the time and there were a ton of ROH guys on the show that I hadn't worked with before so I didn't know what would happen if I didn't meet his demands. We had a very unpleasant conversation that was in the room over from the locker room so when we walked back into the locker room all of the boys knew something was up. I made a joke to try and diffuse the situation but this set him off said if I kept running my mouth he was going to kill me. At that point I just wanted to pay him and send him home but for better or worse he ended up working the match he was advertised for. After the match he was acting as if everything was cool. I have zero interest in working with him going forward.

It's a shame it didn't work out because he is a PHENOMENAL wrestler and Beyond Wrestling played a HUGE role in helping him ply his craft on a national platform. We put together an IndieGoGo campaign where fans could buy merchandise at a discounted price to pay for his plane ticket to participate in the first ever Tournament For Tomorrow where he wrestled AR Fox, Pinkie Sanchez, and Aaron Epic all in one night.
Okay and? I still blame roh you don't push someone one week then jobbed him the next. I he does stay Don't push him because I can't take him serious anymore No way ACH should have lost to a guy like adam page in all three matches
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Observer:
ACH and ROH have evidently come to a verbal agreement on a mutual release although as of this writing it was not signed nor official, but that is likely the end result of this week. PW Insider first reported he was finishing up with the company when his contract expired, but then we got word that instead of waiting for the contract to expire, they came to an agreement for a mutual release. ACH had a contract which was exclusive to ROH (although ROH wrestlers are allowed to work PWG) for the U.S. market, but they gave him permission to work for AAW several weeks ago. There were some remarks made at the show which some took to be anti-ROH which didn't help his standing. The ROH side is that they gave him permission to work the AAW show because he asked to be able to work it since the tournament he was in was a tribute for a friend of his, Jim Lyman. At the show, he cut the promo in question. Those at AAW told us they didn't believe it was about ROH but a lot of fans believed it was, talking about a bad relationship with a girlfriend and a divorce. ROH evidently thought it was about them, as did at least some fans because it became the Internet talk. We did hear that ACH wasn't happy it became the story it did and wished he'd never said it. But after the situation came to light, he did tell ROH officials he was frustrated in the promotion. We don't know the details of his frustrations but it's likely over his push. Anyway, the decision was made on both sides to part ways.
The Dragon Saga

alitigress wrote:
The Dragon Saga wrote:I don't know what Radican said referencing either to be honest. Again, never viewed him as a "scoopz" guy, just an extremely invested fan.

Okay and? I still blame roh you don't push someone one week then jobbed him the next. I he does stay Don't push him because I can't take him serious anymore No way ACH should have lost to a guy like adam page in all three matches
No, ACH should have lost to the guy who beat Jay Briscoe and to a guy who didn't take a veiled shot at the company on a show ROH allowed him to feature on and who will actually be in ROH in 2017. ACH should have won. That would have made sense.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

The Dragon Saga wrote:I have. I understand what their doing though, I have an account on the forum I just don't use it much, sometimes I pop over to see what's going on as I know that's where Rovert frequents and I like to see what controversy hes causing this week, usually something about ROH, but as I've mentioned previously he and others on Twitter have all but admitted they want to find holes in ROH because they think Dave has shown pro-ROH bias and reports things from the offices point of view and not from a "insiders" POV. Joe and Rich are good, sometimes they just word things a little weird. Coincidentally I went on Reddit and the post you made from Joe is up there so I had a peak onto VOW for the first time in a bit. Same ol', same ol'.
It's interesting that people think Dave's coverage has been "pro-ROH." I get what they are saying in that he seems to just give the office line, but I don't see it as being "pro-ROH" so much as it is poor coverage of ROH, and Dave gives the office line because that is what is easiest for him to find. I don't think Dave is so much covering up for the office as he is just completely out of touch with the product and the more invested portion of its fanbase.
The Dragon Saga

To be fair, it's not like he has a ton to report on every week. ROH last year had a lot going on and he did a good job of reporting on almost all of it, only thing I recall he didn't see coming was the Destination America deal but he had reported that they were trying to get on Spike after TNA left. I don't mind his ROH coverage, I don't think it's biased either. I watched the Ft. Lauderdale show. Rovert has an issue with the number Meltzer reported which was like 375 or something thereabouts, watching it, that looks like the amount of people that might be there. Is that Dave papering the number because he has a hard-on for ROH? I doubt it. If he does he needs to show it more.
leenie426

Post by leenie426 »

The Dragon Saga wrote:To be fair, it's not like he has a ton to report on every week. ROH last year had a lot going on and he did a good job of reporting on almost all of it, only thing I recall he didn't see coming was the Destination America deal but he had reported that they were trying to get on Spike after TNA left. I don't mind his ROH coverage, I don't think it's biased either. I watched the Ft. Lauderdale show. Rovert has an issue with the number Meltzer reported which was like 375 or something thereabouts, watching it, that looks like the amount of people that might be there. Is that Dave papering the number because he has a hard-on for ROH? I doubt it. If he does he needs to show it more.
Pretty sure the attendance numbers that Big Dave reports are whatever Johnston sends him Monday morning. If he's told 600 people are there when there is clearly 375 then that is what he will report. You can't blame him for bad info, however you can blame him for not checking with more than one source.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Kamaitachi just make his big return to Japan. So, that means his excursion in over :( I think that his progression has been awesome. Hope he come back in future PPVs like EVIL does.
FanSinceHDNet

Post by FanSinceHDNet »

AlexROH wrote:Kamaitachi just make his big return to Japan. So, that means his excursion in over :( I think that his progression has been awesome. Hope he come back in future PPVs like EVIL does.
Booo! Has to be the best excursion so far, right? He had direction, purpose, and was on what felt like every PPV and TV taping, getting some wins here and there.
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

Gonna miss Kamaitachi, really enjoyed him in ROH. Hope he succeeds as the Time Bomb, if that's a nickname he's going by.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

TYFDK wrote:Gonna miss Kamaitachi, really enjoyed him in ROH. Hope he succeeds as the Time Bomb, if that's a nickname he's going by.
His new name is Hiromu Takahashi and he will be fighting for the IWGP Jr Heavyweight Title at WK 11.
The Dragon Saga

While his excursion may have ended that doesn't necessarily mean hes off Final Battle just yet. He won't be working the World Tag League tour so he'll need something to do and he was featured at the last TV taping and has been advertised for Final Battle. Granted, being advertised for something in ROH doesn't actually mean you'll be there, but still, more reasons for him to be there than not to be.