Adam Cole's expected NJPW tenure

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
ICHIFUJI

Re: Adam Cole's expected NJPW tenure

Post by ICHIFUJI »

younger talent Okada get main title. So plan changed is not strange.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Even if now is not a fantastic time to be a debuting heavyweight in the Bullet Club, it opens Cole's doors much more to be a heavyweight, especially if there is a long run to consider. He would probably have a hard time getting over as a junior considering the audience's expectations of what top juniors deliver.
Vanilla Gorilla

Post by Vanilla Gorilla »

Wilson wrote:Even if now is not a fantastic time to be a debuting heavyweight in the Bullet Club, it opens Cole's doors much more to be a heavyweight, especially if there is a long run to consider. He would probably have a hard time getting over as a junior considering the audience's expectations of what top juniors deliver.
I would think at some point it sets up for the power struggle for the True leader of the Bullet Club and an Omega vs Cole angle.
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

DXvsNWO1994 wrote:So this update pretty much says that Meltzer's initial report was false (I believe he said immediately after the Bullet Club angle at the PPV that Cole was going to be a junior). Really not sure where he's going to fit in, especially with Omega being the Intercontinental Champion. He could be in the NEVER Openweight Title conversation, but that's been dominated by Shibata and the New Japan "dads" since Shibata took the title from Ishii. It'll be interesting to see where Cole is placed (as well as Page, for that matter).
He'll "fit in" mostly in six man tags on the undercard and occasionally get a singles match without any real meaning. I just don't see him being a title contender in NJPW. Maybe I'm wrong. But he just doesn't seem to fit into the NJPW landscape all that well especially playing second fiddle to Omega. With Omega going heavyweight it's surprising Cole is being brought in as a heavyweight as well.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Northwoods_Nightmare wrote:He'll "fit in" mostly in six man tags on the undercard and occasionally get a singles match without any real meaning. I just don't see him being a title contender in NJPW. Maybe I'm wrong. But he just doesn't seem to fit into the NJPW landscape all that well especially playing second fiddle to Omega. With Omega going heavyweight it's surprising Cole is being brought in as a heavyweight as well.
All that as well as being fodder in this year's G1. Without any real established presence in Japan, I don't see this as very surprising. Hopefully he'll be in something meaningful down the line.
STITCHES

Post by STITCHES »

Vanilla Gorilla wrote:
Wilson wrote:Even if now is not a fantastic time to be a debuting heavyweight in the Bullet Club, it opens Cole's doors much more to be a heavyweight, especially if there is a long run to consider. He would probably have a hard time getting over as a junior considering the audience's expectations of what top juniors deliver.
I would think at some point it sets up for the power struggle for the True leader of the Bullet Club and an Omega vs Cole angle.
That'd be sweet, to be honest. I checked ProfightDB and apparently those two have only wrestled each other once and it was a six-man tag in PWG two years ago. Why not, man?
Vanilla Gorilla

STITCHES wrote:
Vanilla Gorilla wrote:
That'd be sweet, to be honest. I checked ProfightDB and apparently those two have only wrestled each other once and it was a six-man tag in PWG two years ago. Why not, man?
I agree. those two could give us somethign very good to great.

would be an easy enough set up. Cole leads in USA/North America, Omega leads in Japan.

Run a show in Toronto Cole trying to give orders, Omega makes a minor deal about Canada being his turf.

Cole goes to Japan and they have tension in a 6-man.

Each one tells one of the Young Bucks to do something - Matt listens to Omega, Nick listens to Cole. costs them a match once it backfires.

Tensions really rise from there until one turns on the other.
STITCHES

Post by STITCHES »

That's classic faction warfare!

But ultimately, I just think those two would have a series of cool matches.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

Not saying it won't happen, but it's really unlikely that NJPW would do a gaijin vs gaijin feud like that.
STITCHES

Post by STITCHES »

Doesn't have to be there, necessarily.
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

Burnside wrote:Not saying it won't happen, but it's really unlikely that NJPW would do a gaijin vs gaijin feud like that.
I would have said it's unlikely that NJPW would turn their tag team champions and one of their most established gaijin stars into a bumbling idiot hypnotized by Maria. But look how that turned out. Gedo is more than willing to do unconventional things. It's a great story and a great way to use Cole, so why not?
ICHIFUJI

Post by ICHIFUJI »

Now NJPW have Omega - Elgin feud.
Jr tag title goes without Japanese.
Except IWGP heavyweight they did that.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

The Omega-Elgin fued is basically happening because Tanahashi's hurt.
Vanilla Gorilla

Burnside wrote:Not saying it won't happen, but it's really unlikely that NJPW would do a gaijin vs gaijin feud like that.
maybe, maybe not - but I really like the angle I just fake booked, so I hope it happens.