Tv title booking in general

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Lone Wolf

Tv title booking in general

Post by Lone Wolf »

It seems as if they do not know what to do with this belt and how to properly present it. Been way to many mediocre reigns/false starts. The title was elevated by Lethal 2nd and the matches were good but other then that and maybe Adam coles reign, i just feel as if this is a wasted potential.
Vanilla Gorilla

Re: Tv title booking in general

Post by Vanilla Gorilla »

I'd make him pick his true finish, preferably the kneebar/ankle lock and just have him beat guys with it left and right. Have it put a guy out with injury for two or 3 weeks. Really put the hold over and base his run around locking that on and people coming in with a gameplan to block/avoid it.

Then after 6 months or so have someone run out and smash his hand (or have Kyle turn on him and do it - depending on who you want to have a run with him), really beat the F out of it - the intention being he can't lock on that hold if his hand won't work.

Gives the champ something to overcome in a big PPV match with the hand injury and also gives him an aura that he has a feared hold.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

It's gonna be tough to match Lethal's second reign, which was equal to McGuinness's Pure Title reign. If I'm Strong I'm even more pissed now about the Japan switch, as Ishii's reign amounted to practically nothing.
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

Lone Wolf wrote:It seems as if they do not know what to do with this belt and how to properly present it. Been way to many mediocre reigns/false starts. The title was elevated by Lethal 2nd and the matches were good but other then that and maybe Adam coles reign, i just feel as if this is a wasted potential.
It became an uppercard vanity belt to give them something to do instead of a belt to elevate midcarders.
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

Fish gained more winning the title from Ishii than he could ever gain by winning it from Strong.

Strong reign was all based on Fish, Strong vs The World was a way of him mocking Fish defending the title against anyone but him, i don´t know if they ever considered doing much more with Roddy as Champ other than having Fish beating him.

Regarding the TV Title you don´t have to use it by law to elevate midcarders, you can do whatever you want with it, Lethal made the TV title nearly as important as the World title for example.
Saintpat

Post by Saintpat »

I'm very particular about how the TV title should be used.

There should be one strict guideline: it should be defended on TV.
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

187_Joeism wrote:Fish gained more winning the title from Ishii than he could ever gain by winning it from Strong.
No he didn't. He should have been the guy to beat Lethal at ASE last year instead of this convoluted shit with Roddy and Ishii. But hey, gotta do this Lethal/O'Reilly tripe in the main event to build some "big" feud between O'Reilly and Cole, then flush whatever KOR gained in that feud in a nothing, forgettable """dream""" match against Naito. THAT SURE HELPED.
Strong reign was all based on Fish, Strong vs The World was a way of him mocking Fish defending the title against anyone but him, i don´t know if they ever considered doing much more with Roddy as Champ other than having Fish beating him.
Shame it wasn't for the title because Ishii needed it for some reason.
Regarding the TV Title you don´t have to use it by law to elevate midcarders, you can do whatever you want with it, Lethal made the TV title nearly as important as the World title for example.
Because ROH's midcard is such a booming commodity right now, totally not a wasteland of utter death and failure. Let's hope Fish actually does something meaningful with the belt.
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

If you can´t see why Fish gained more winning the title from Ishii after beating Roddy i can´t help you. But i´m sure Mojo will agree with you like he always does at least.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

I can't help Thelone makes points I agree with!
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

The only point i could agree with is that Fish could have won the title from Lethal at ASE. Aside from that i think 100% opposite of what he posted.
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

Saintpat wrote:I'm very particular about how the TV title should be used.

Yeah, I think having it defended exclusively on TV is a good rule. Why else call it a TV title? That's something I liked about it under Cornette's era. And say what you will about the time limit draws, but I am also a fan of the 15 min time limit.
It wasn't just a secondary version of the World Title, it had different rules and different purpose to help distinguish it.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

Having a "TV" Title is stupid idea in the first place. Find something better to call it.
Vanilla Gorilla

Post by Vanilla Gorilla »

Big Red Machine wrote:Having a "TV" Title is stupid idea in the first place. Find something better to call it.
yeah, time to replace it with the "House Show" Championship
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Cross-Continental
Multi-Continental
United Crown
Dragon's Honor (in tribute to Bryan Danielson)
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

International Championship like WCW had in the early 90s.
Lone Wolf

Post by Lone Wolf »

Northwoods_Nightmare wrote:
Saintpat wrote:I'm very particular about how the TV title should be used.

Yeah, I think having it defended exclusively on TV is a good rule. Why else call it a TV title? That's something I liked about it under Cornette's era. And say what you will about the time limit draws, but I am also a fan of the 15 min time limit.
It wasn't just a secondary version of the World Title, it had different rules and different purpose to help distinguish it.
Yeah I do not mind theses draws if it is a once in a while when two guys have taken each other to the limit,It should be defended on tv more. It needs to have some sort of thing to define it as at the moment if it was removed from the product I would not miss it. Would love the Pure title to come back but I highly doubt it.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

They certainly need to make it a title that has to be defended on TV, the only thing is considering how they film TV the champion will have to do double duty and with the schedule in ring style it could be a bit much and also very telling on TV that someone isn't fresh for next weeks episode.

If they can have a unique idea behind the title or with a certain champion like the Pure title then again I think that will help immensely.
Big Red Machine

Draws in general have been missing from ROH for a while. I'd much rather see a draw than a f*ck finish just because you don't really want to beat someone.
JigsawVs.Jason

Post by JigsawVs.Jason »

supersonic wrote:It's gonna be tough to match Lethal's second reign, which was equal to McGuinness's Pure Title reign. If I'm Strong I'm even more pissed now about the Japan switch, as Ishii's reign amounted to practically nothing.
I absolutely agree with this, it really was only a cheap way of creating some buzz and it didn't lead to anything at all. I also don't know why they weren't able to stretch Ishii's reign until August or September with the next two out of three PPVs being NJPW/ROH PPVs.
"If anyone complains about how today's pro wrestling isn't as good as the past and isn't watching New Japan, their opinions have no validity." ~ Dave Meltzer
Big Red Machine

JigsawVs.Jason wrote:
supersonic wrote:It's gonna be tough to match Lethal's second reign, which was equal to McGuinness's Pure Title reign. If I'm Strong I'm even more pissed now about the Japan switch, as Ishii's reign amounted to practically nothing.
I absolutely agree with this, it really was only a cheap way of creating some buzz and it didn't lead to anything at all. I also don't know why they weren't able to stretch Ishii's reign until August or September with the next two out of three PPVs being NJPW/ROH PPVs.
Plus you have some ROH shows taking place during BOSJ when Ishii's presence surely wouldn't be required in Japan so he could have come to ROH to defend the belt on those shows.