Should ROH remove BITW '16 from North Carolina?

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Mr. Mojo Risin

Re: Should ROH remove BITW '16 from North Carolina?

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

The right thing to do would be to avoid N.C. like the plague until this shit gets straightened out correctly. I don't believe for a second that avoiding these markets would hurt ROH or SBG at all. Yeah, the next PPV is from there, so don't buy it as means of protest. I am doing that.

Additionally, if ROH really wanted to get some mainstream buzz have Dalton Castle cut a promo condemning it. Just have Castle even more pissed off than he was at Silas. Plus, it would give him something noteworthy to do.
Memphis Mark

Post by Memphis Mark »

This really has nothing to do with wrestling . I come to this forum to discuss wrestling , not politics and societal issues.
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

It should be left to ROH on whether to move BitW. Besides its too late to move it this year.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Personally I think it would be unfair to the audience in these areas considering some fans could well gay or certainly not committed to what there local governments are trying to create/achieve, you are depriving them of something they could well love and enjoy and considering the type of persecution they may experience in their lives this might allow them freedom to express themselves or be apart of something.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

I think they should run the PPV since is already announced and fans have no fault and then decide if they want to run again or not.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

Memphis Mark wrote:This really has nothing to do with wrestling . I come to this forum to discuss wrestling , not politics and societal issues.
This
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

Absolutely not. The venue is owned by the county, not the state. Removing BITW wouldn't cost the state of North Carolina any (non-negligible) amount of money. All it would do is hurt that ROH fans in that area.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

this forum is so weird these days... :(
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

I'll share the sentiment that it isn't a wrestling issue and the show is too close to remove it from the venue at this point. It isn't fair to punish the fans who have bought tickets already. Politics and wrestling don't mesh. The idea of having a perform - Dalton Castle, I guess, although I don't believe he portrays a homosexual but that's already been discussed - speaking on the matter could draw some press but only if they plan to then stop running in North Carolina. If they do go out, might as well go out kicking.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

ROH actually announced this North Carolina show AFTER the controversy started and in fact after Springsteen cancelled his show, so they obviously don't give a fuck. Sinclair as a company is pretty right-wing so this doesn't exactly shock me.

I would prefer they not run NC until the state drops the discriminatory law, yes. Those saying it has nothing to do with wrestling are completely missing the point.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Burnside wrote:They actually announced it AFTER the controversy started and in fact after Springsteen cancelled his show, so they obviously don't give a fuck. Sinclair as a company is pretty right-wing so this doesn't exactly shock me.

I would prefer they not run NC until the state drops the discriminatory law, yes. Those saying it has nothing to do with wrestling are completely missing the point.
Agreed. I knew you'd be one of the few sensible people to actually understand this indeed is a wrestling issue.
Memphis Mark

Post by Memphis Mark »

Burnside wrote:ROH actually announced this North Carolina show AFTER the controversy started and in fact after Springsteen cancelled his show, so they obviously don't give a fuck. Sinclair as a company is pretty right-wing so this doesn't exactly shock me.

I am not missing the point. Again this is a wrestling forum . If people want to discuss this issue , they should do it in a forum that was created to discuss the issues of modern society . In reality this is a local matter that will be address by the citizens of North Carolina , not outsiders.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

Memphis Mark wrote:
Burnside wrote:ROH actually announced this North Carolina show AFTER the controversy started and in fact after Springsteen cancelled his show, so they obviously don't give a fuck. Sinclair as a company is pretty right-wing so this doesn't exactly shock me.

I am not missing the point. Again this is a wrestling forum . If people want to discuss this issue , they should do it in a forum that was created to discuss the issues of modern society . In reality this is a local matter that will be address by the citizens of North Carolina , not outsiders.
In reality, it's a national issue and seems likely to be deemed a violation of federal civil rights law, and so very likely will not be left to the citizens of North Carolina at all.

I don't think it's ever completely possible to separate art and politics. A number of very high-profile entertainers are cancelling shows right now in order to protest this legislation. Spingsteen cancelled. Pearl Jam cancelled. Blue Men Group have cancelled their tour dates there. Cirque du Soliel cancelled. Boston cancelled their concerts. Ringo Starr cancelled. Lionsgate relocated the new television show "Crush" from filming in Charlotte to filming in Canada. Steven Schwartz has announced that no musical he has ever written (which includes "Wicked") can be performed in North Carolina until the legislation is dropped. Tracy Morgan cancelled a stand-up date. Bryan Adams cancelled a concert. The list goes on and on.

In the middle of all these protest cancellations, when they could have easily kept out of the issue by just not booking a show in the state, Ring of Honor ANNOUNCES a show there. Like it or not, there are political ramifications to that.

If discussing it is uncomfortable for you for some reason, you're free to ignore the thread. It certainly isn't up to you to decided what should and shouldn't be discussed.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

The purpose of cancelling and depriving NC citizens of live ROH would be to entice and nudge them into targeting their state government into action, and possibly going to a federal level for necessary change. If they want all of this live entertainment, the fans have to take initiative.
Blackshirt30

Post by Blackshirt30 »

No they shouldn't.
DBSommer

Post by DBSommer »

supersonic wrote:
I do my damnedest to avoid politics and other hot button issues. Today I make an exception.
Next time, don't. This is a wrestling board. Not a political/societal/ideological/whateverthehell is bothering me board. There are no shortage of places to vent your spleen about laws, political figures, the ostracization of alternative lifestyles like NAMBLA, or your ingrown toenail. This isn't one of them. Sure, I could regale you with pages and pages of the contradictory logic of someone claiming they are against racism and in favor of Affirmative action, or that society has finally hit the '2 + 2 =5' moment Orwell predicted with many people siding Big Brother, but I would be a self-centered douche for doing it here since this isn't the place for it, and I have innumerable other places I can do it.

If everyone would 'make an exception' to something they felt passionately about that had nothing to do with wrestling and posted it here, then the board would be filled with the stuff. But it's mostly not, because most of us have the common sense to refrain from doing it. It's not even about conformity, it's simply using the board for what it's intended for.

It's not that hard.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

There is nothing absurd or self-absorbed whatsoever about gauging this forum about ROH joining other live entertainment acts in taking a stand for a cause.

This thread is far more valuable than anything you've ever contributed on here. If that pisses you off, go bitch about it elsewhere as you claimed I should. I'm not sorry that I'm a more valuable contributor on here than you and that gives me the edge to be incredibly smug and direct.
DBSommer

Post by DBSommer »

supersonic wrote:There is nothing absurd or self-absorbed whatsoever about gauging this forum about ROH joining other live entertainment acts in taking a stand for a cause.
By your own admission this was about politics and a hot button issue. You said it yourself and you were 'making an exception'. This post had nothing to do with ROH and wrestling, it was ultimately about others validating what you thought they should be validating.
supersonic wrote:This thread is far more valuable than anything you've ever contributed on here. If that pisses you off, go bitch about it elsewhere as you claimed I should. I'm not sorry that I'm a more valuable contributor on here than you and that gives me the edge to be incredibly smug and direct.
BWHAHAHAHA! I actually laughed out loud for real. This is a fucking... wrestling... message... board. There is nothing on here worth congratulating yourself about. There is nothing on here I would congratulate myself about either. I mean I like coming here as a tertiary association to a company I enjoy. I'm glad the guys are keeping it up an running. Occasionally I'll use others evaluations of shows to pick and choose what to buy, but what 'valuable' things has anyone ever accomplished by posting on a wrestling board anywhere? This thread isn't even worth a dime a dozen on anything from Huffpo to Breitbart or anywhere else where it, and its ilk, is reflected upon ad nauseum. But at least those are boards about societal issues. There is a distinct lack of wrestling threads on them as well, I would add.

But your posturing about it to be 'smug and direct'. Glorious. 'I post things with societal laws and impacts on a wrestling board. That makes me sooo much better than people that ramble on about wrestling on the wrestling board."

Like others before me said, this is a wrestling board that should be about wrestling. This thread isn't. It is just as Memphis Mark says with far more brevity than myself.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

He asked whether ROH should run an event there. How is that not about wrestling?
DBSommer

Post by DBSommer »

Burnside wrote:He asked whether ROH should run an event there. How is that not about wrestling?
What do the laws have to do about wrestling? Nothing. So it's about how 'the company' *should* react to laws that are about societal issues, which is what the thread is about. The 'societal issues'. It's not about wrestling. And this is a wrestling board. Which is the point others have made as well.