TURMOIL/LIKELY ROSTER DEPARTURES - DEVELOPING STORY

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
187_Joeism

Re: COLE, STRONG, MOOSE, HATHAWAY LIKELY TO LEAVE ROH

Post by 187_Joeism »

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:
187_Joeism wrote:This went from roster revolt to just the name we all knew + Roddy fairly quick. :lol:

I mean you can also add Young Bucks with Cole once their contract is up most likely
You're missing the bigger picture. Talent is unhappy.
If talent is unhappy with money ROH will never be able to compete with WWE and they shouldn´t try, if you see someone as an important part you can make him an offer like the did in the past but you can pay top money to anyone. Just be realistic. I mean right now ROH is in the position to sometimes keep talent a little bit longer.

Regarding the booking thing, all the problems people here have with ROH atm are not going to change with other booker IMO.
Last edited by 187_Joeism on Thu May 05, 2016 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

We still don't know the real reason Cole is abruptly absent. If I was him, I'd leave too. He's been booked like shit forever and is the all around best guy on your roster.
DBSommer

Re: MAJOR ROSTER STRIFE/TURMOIL

Post by DBSommer »

Thelone wrote:
I know this will hit some of you a little too hard, but ROH has become TNA in a lot of ways.
SOMEONE FINALLY SAID IT !!!

Bringing "old" farts back (guys like Shelley, Sabin and Cabana aren't 60, but they've been around forever), turning some of the hottest acts in wrestling to just "guys on the roster" in no time (ACH and the Young Bucks), not restocking the shelves in any way (but hey, CHEESEBURGER is over) and being so reliant on NJPW is hurting the product an awful lot. Of course creative is garbage and has been for well over 18 months, but I don't feel that the talent is there either.[/quote]

They've become TNA in a lot of ways, such as not just remaining solvent, but growing the product by all accounts considering the increasing number of shows they run, working with other companies, expanding the areas they run in...

...oh, I'm sorry, that's all unimportant stuff. Yes, Shelley, Sabin, and Cabana= Flair, Hogan, Nash. Got it. Just like TNA then.
ninetwentyfour

Post by ninetwentyfour »

DBSommer wrote:
Thelone wrote:
I know this will hit some of you a little too hard, but ROH has become TNA in a lot of ways.
SOMEONE FINALLY SAID IT !!!

Bringing "old" farts back (guys like Shelley, Sabin and Cabana aren't 60, but they've been around forever), turning some of the hottest acts in wrestling to just "guys on the roster" in no time (ACH and the Young Bucks), not restocking the shelves in any way (but hey, CHEESEBURGER is over) and being so reliant on NJPW is hurting the product an awful lot. Of course creative is garbage and has been for well over 18 months, but I don't feel that the talent is there either.
They've become TNA in a lot of ways, such as not just remaining solvent, but growing the product by all accounts considering the increasing number of shows they run, working with other companies, expanding the areas they run in...

...oh, I'm sorry, that's all unimportant stuff. Yes, Shelley, Sabin, and Cabana= Flair, Hogan, Nash. Got it. Just like TNA then.[/quote]

I'm not going to delve into this because quite frankly I don't really care, but TNA was doing all those things for a long time as well. They were still TNA.

When did Fish and O'Reilly re-sign? I know it was recent. O'Reilly is 100% done whenever that deal is up.

We're really jumping ahead on some of this, though. Anything can happen in that span of time.

The Cole thing is an angle. A stupid one, at that.
DBSommer

Post by DBSommer »

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:We still don't know the real reason Cole is abruptly absent. If I was him, I'd leave too. He's been booked like shit forever and is the all around best guy on your roster.
So he wouldn't leave for money, he'd leave for booking. So if he does go the E and Vinnie Mac doesn't book him the way he should, he'd be out the door there, too? Or would it be stupid because he's getting paid big money? In which case it's not about the book, it's about the money. Except he should leave because he's not getting booked right.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

I doubt there is real economic or political strife. Repeatedly, it’s been stated that ROH is in a healthier state than ever. It just sounds like some contracts are up and some wrestlers are bidding their potentialities, just as has always happened.

I think Cole, Moose, and Cedric are all better off in companies separate from ROH.

Strong is a very surprising name due to his recent signing. I’ve been under the impression that he periodically explores his options and this could just be him doing that. Maybe we’ll see less of him this summer. I think ROH is a great fit for him and I really hope he stays.

As a potential positive to this scenario, ROH would deplete some of its bloated roster. It’s pretty evident that creative just cannot handle the depth of the roster adroitly.
DBSommer

Post by DBSommer »

ninetwentyfour wrote:
I'm not going to delve into this because quite frankly I don't really care, but TNA was doing all those things for a long time as well. They were still TNA.
Did TNA ever make money? Even in the early Panda days? Mind you, they actually did some good stuff back in the pre-Hogan Russo era, it's not like it was all crap. Hell, even their women's division was enjoyable. It's not like it was unilateral garbage from start to finish. But once they hit the downward spiral, like WCW, they went into the ground like a lawndart.

ROH isn't even remotely there yet. Could they get there? Sure. But the Shelley and Co= Just like Hogan and Co. comparison, :lol:
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

ninetwentyfour wrote:
The Cole thing is an angle. A stupid one, at that.
Can you elaborate at all? Does anybody know what this stupid angle is supposed to be?

Cole's the best talent on the roster and if they're going to keep him off shows for months there should be a incredible, amazing, brilliant reason. I'm going to be pretty annoyed if the answer is "Adam Cole is sulking".
Last edited by Burnside on Thu May 05, 2016 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ninetwentyfour

Post by ninetwentyfour »

DBSommer wrote:
ninetwentyfour wrote:
Did TNA ever make money? Even in the early Panda days? Mind you, they actually did some good stuff back in the pre-Hogan Russo era, it's not like it was all crap. Hell, even their women's division was enjoyable. It's not like it was unilateral garbage from start to finish. But once they hit the downward spiral, like WCW, they went into the ground like a lawndart.

ROH isn't even remotely there yet. Could they get there? Sure. But the Shelley and Co= Just like Hogan and Co. comparison, :lol:
TNA actually did have one profitable year. 2008, was it? Someone can clarify that for me.

It's the precedent that ROH has been setting of shifting to an older roster. That will come back to bite them, especially when a lot of the older guys are being prioritized.

Again, people are missing the bigger picture here. I know it's a dead end, though. Some of you will fight ROH to the grave. Have a nice day.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

ninetwentyfour wrote:
TNA actually did have one profitable year. 2008, was it? Someone can clarify that for me.
They were profitable for about 8 or 9 months in 2009, prior to bringing in Hogan and Bischoff which immediately put them way in the red again.
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

Wilson wrote:As a potential positive to this scenario, ROH would deplete some of its bloated roster. It’s pretty evident that creative just cannot handle the depth of the roster adroitly.
The roster is as deep as a kiddy pool. Just doing the fantasy league stuff makes me realize how ridiculously thin the core roster is and how meaningless 90% of the roster is right now.
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

BUT THELONE, THEY HAVE GOT CHEESEBURGER!!!
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

I'd love to see Roddy in NXT, he'd thrive there.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Then he can become Mr. NXT.
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

I just want to see him in a new environment.
DBSommer

Post by DBSommer »

ninetwentyfour wrote: TNA actually did have one profitable year. 2008, was it? Someone can clarify that for me.

It's the precedent that ROH has been setting of shifting to an older roster. That will come back to bite them, especially when a lot of the older guys are being prioritized.
But it also gives a measure of stability to the roster since the older guys aren't going to get snatched up by the 'E' when a contract expires and you have a revolving door of people that's nearly totally dependent on a steady flow of younger guys that are good enough for the time they are with you to carry the promotion. At least until you hit a lull in the younger talent and they can't, since there's an ebb and flow to it.

But you're right in that if they stay with the same guys forever, sure, then you'd become TNA and you'd have it bite you in the bottom. At the moment, you're getting some guys that, from all apperences, are probably getting their last big runs in the business. Maybe the MCMG will still be around until LIger age, but I suspect the next 2-3 years are it for them.
DBSommer

Post by DBSommer »

JTCole wrote:I'd love to see Roddy in NXT, he'd thrive there.
That's a terrible thing to foist on Roddy. Let him have a chance at the real big time in 'E' proper, not wallow in their developmental league. You should want him to thrive there, not be talent enhancement for the guys that eventually get there.
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

DBSommer wrote:
That's a terrible thing to foist on Roddy. Let him have a chance at the real big time in 'E' proper, not wallow in their developmental league. You should want him to thrive there, not be talent enhancement for the guys that eventually get there.
Well he wouldn't necessarily be enhancement talent. And whether NXT is a developmental league or not there's tremendous talent there for Roddy to work with.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Thelone wrote:
Wilson wrote:As a potential positive to this scenario, ROH would deplete some of its bloated roster. It’s pretty evident that creative just cannot handle the depth of the roster adroitly.
The roster is as deep as a kiddy pool. Just doing the fantasy league stuff makes me realize how ridiculously thin the core roster is and how meaningless 90% of the roster is right now.

I should've written "the depths" of the roster to be clearer. If you include some of the NJPW talent, the roster has a lot of people to write for and ROH isn't up for writing them.

And it's unfair to say ridiculously thin, at least in regards to the talent. Adam Cole, Jay Briscoe, Kyle O'Reilly, Roderick Strong, Bobby Fish, and Jay Lethal are all great and there are plenty of good midcard workers as well. They've just been the same guys for the past two or some odd years, mucking around while creative books as safely as they can.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

DBSommer wrote:
He can develop a personality that comes across on-screen rather than off of it. I suspect he's FAR more likely to end up on par with Tyler Breeze than AJ Styles if thrown on the main roster too quickly.