Jay Lethal Title Reign

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
tlova86

Jay Lethal Title Reign

Post by tlova86 »

Based On ROH Website, Jay Lethal has defended the ROH Championship 20 times. He currently has the fourth most defenses only behind Samoa Joe, Bryan Danielson, Morishima and Nigel McGuinness. How does his reign match up against other former Champions? When do you see him losing the Championship?

- Jay Lethal defeats Vinny Marseglia in West Warwick, Rhode Island, April 30, 2016
- Jay Lethal defeated Joe Coffey in Edinburgh, Scotland, UK April 10th, 2016
- Jay Lethal defeated Mark Andrews at Action Indoor Sports in Whitchurch, Bristol, England, UK April 9th, 2016
- Jay Lethal defeated Shady Nattrass by DQ at The Venue in Carlisle, Cumbria, England, UK April 8th, 2016
- Jay Lethal defeated Cheeseburger in Dallas, Texas at Supercard of Honor Night 2 on April 2nd, 2016
- Jay Lethal defeated Lio Rush in Dallas, Texas at Supercard of Honor Night 1 on April 1st, 2016
- Jay Lethal defeated Lance Storm at NAIT Main Campus Gym in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada on March 26th, 2016
- Jay Lethal defeated Reborn Matt Sydal in Philadelphia, PA on Saturday, March 12th, 2016
- Jay Lethal defeated Hirooki Goto February 27th, 2016 in Las Vegas, NV
- Jay Lethal defeated Adam Cole & Kyle O'Reilly February 26th, 2016 in Las Vegas, NV
- Jay Lethal defeated Tomoaki Honma February 20th, 2016 in Tokyo, Japan
- Jay Lethal defeated Mark Haskins at York Hall in Bethnal Green, Greater London, England, UK January 16th, 2016
- Jay Lethal defeated Michael Elgin January 4th, 2016 in Tokyo, Japan
- Jay Lethal defeated AJ Styles December 18th, 2015 in Philadelphia, PA
- Jay Lethal defeated Doug Williams at Evoque in Preston, Lancashire, England, UK November 28th, 2015
- Jay Lethal defeated Joey Hayes at Evoque in Preston, Lancashire, England, UK November 28th, 2015
- Jay Lethal defeated Noam Dar at Evoque in Preston, Lancashire, England, UK November 27th, 2015
- Jay Lethal defeated Kyle O'Reilly September 18th, 2015 in San Antonio, TX
- Jay Lethal defeated Roderick Strong August 21st, 2015 in Philadelphia, PA
- Jay Lethal went to a 60 minute time limit draw Roderick Strong July 24th, 2015 in Baltimore, MD
Last edited by tlova86 on Mon May 02, 2016 6:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
187_Joeism

Re: Jay Lethal Title Reign

Post by 187_Joeism »

Lethal reign is being one of the best reigns ROH has had in a long time, Lethal himself has become one of the best wrestlers in the world with the reign, if i have to make a list:

1. Samoa Joe
2. Bryan Danielson
3. Nigel
4. Aries (1st reign)
5. Jay Lethal

He is also the first champion in a really long time to be a real WORLD champion.
KL_

Post by KL_ »

tlova86 wrote: When do you see him losing the Championship?
At Best in the World against Kyle O'Reilly.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

an amazing run so far.he become sone of the best in the world

if lethal retains against cabana i think that O'Reilly is gonna be the next world champ around june.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

I think anyone but Kyle beating Lethal would be shocking, they have been working on that for almost a year now.
jordidebaas

Post by jordidebaas »

I would question the decision of putting the world title on someone who's currently on a 4-match losing streak, and is probably losing next PPV too. On the other hand, Lethal's reign has been running long enough already, so unless they could get a NJPW top star for a short transitional run (but if they could, they should've done that change at Global Wars), I guess Kyle would be the best option to take it from him.
I was in the front line when we battled page 15
dougiefresh605

Post by dougiefresh605 »

Definitely losing it to Kyle O'Reilly sometime this year. Maybe at Best in the World
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

jordidebaas wrote:I would question the decision of putting the world title on someone who's currently on a 4-match losing streak, and is probably losing next PPV too. On the other hand, Lethal's reign has been running long enough already, so unless they could get a NJPW top star for a short transitional run (but if they could, they should've done that change at Global Wars), I guess Kyle would be the best option to take it from him.
Who is in a 4 match losing streak?
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

Lethal's reign will be a footnote in ROH's history at best. I just don't see this guy as a main event talent and things won't get better with O'Reilly because hey, we must have another "I quit/Losing streak of doom" angle with Cole instead of putting the belt on him and rebuilding O'Reilly for a Final Battle showdown.
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
ninetwentyfour

Post by ninetwentyfour »

The only people who believe Jay Lethal is remotely close to one of the BITW are serious ROH fans. You never ever hear that outside of the ROH bubble.

Laying out his list of defenses made me realize I haven't been into his run even more than I thought. Very few standouts.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

"The ROH bubble" like this is 2006 and ROH is that underground company and not on TV every week.
STITCHES

Post by STITCHES »

So, let's say it's not O'Reilly. Who else do you think is a possible candidate?
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Based on reputation, probably same class as Briscoe, Black, Steen, Aries, and Morishima, who were all incredibly solid but missing just one extra piece during their reigns whether it was a blowaway booker or hole in their own game. Not even close to being a completely, utterly blowaway package like Joe, Punk, Danielson, and McGuinness.
WHG

Post by WHG »

I still think Cole is getting the title back, either from Lethal or Cabana and most likely at BITW. I think Kyle wins the title in a Ladder War at Final Battle.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

I don't see how O'Reilly takes the title off Lethal at all. Thanks to a combination of bad booking and his whiny babyface promos he is not even close to being over enough to be world champ.
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

ROH champ Colt Cabana baby.
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

I think Lethal is having a good run but nowhere near all time great or top five or anything. He has a long list of defenses and variety of opponents but is missing a definitive feud or real high profile match as World Champ. Out of recent champs I would put him above Richards, Cole, and Elgin, even with Briscoe, and behind Steen.

I think his run as TV champ was definitely superior to his World Title run (and best TV champ ever). I would put that on par with Nigel's run as Pure champ. Definitely helped by his long feud with Briscoe culminating in the World Title win.
MooseNugget

Post by MooseNugget »

Lethal has been great as champion.

He's easily the best top champion of any American promotion.
jordidebaas

Post by jordidebaas »

187_Joeism wrote:
jordidebaas wrote:I would question the decision of putting the world title on someone who's currently on a 4-match losing streak, and is probably losing next PPV too. On the other hand, Lethal's reign has been running long enough already, so unless they could get a NJPW top star for a short transitional run (but if they could, they should've done that change at Global Wars), I guess Kyle would be the best option to take it from him.
Who is in a 4 match losing streak?
Oops, meant 4-PPV-match losing streak. And I was talking about Kyle
I was in the front line when we battled page 15
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

Northwoods_Nightmare wrote:I think Lethal is having a good run but nowhere near all time great or top five or anything. He has a long list of defenses and variety of opponents but is missing a definitive feud or real high profile match as World Champ. Out of recent champs I would put him above Richards, Cole, and Elgin, even with Briscoe, and behind Steen.

I think his run as TV champ was definitely superior to his World Title run (and best TV champ ever). I would put that on par with Nigel's run as Pure champ. Definitely helped by his long feud with Briscoe culminating in the World Title win.
I can agree about Briscoe & Cole, also Punk (Thanks Supersonic for remind me)

Elgin´s reign was a mess because various reason and he did nothing with the title
Steen´s reign was fucked by Cornette, he had so much potential but he wasn´t able to do much with the title.
Richards i don´t think i have to see anything, he had the worst match in ROH history in the clusterfuck with Dan Severn involved.
Last edited by 187_Joeism on Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:15 am, edited 2 times in total.