Official Global Wars/War Of The Worlds 2016 Super Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
DXvsNWO1994

Re: Official Global Wars/War Of The Worlds 2016 Super Thread

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

On the bright side, I'm kind of hoping we get the return of Steel Cage Warfare out of all of this.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

Embracejg wrote:How about this---will this result in some interesting matches?

Yes? Then we're good. Arguing about heels getting cheered, etc, is totally irrelevant in the post-kayfabe world.
I honestly don't think it will lead to any interesting match-ups at all.
Saintpat

Post by Saintpat »

Big Red Machine wrote:

Yes? Then we're good. Arguing about heels getting cheered, etc, is totally irrelevant in the post-kayfabe world.
Just out of curiosity, do you think there will ever, ever be an interesting matchup again? In ROH? In any other promotion?
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Will you, like, ever feel anything, Big Red Machine?
JTGrasby

Post by JTGrasby »

DXvsNWO1994 wrote:
@TOKSFALE 3h3 hours ago
We've always had a plan and now we're here. The #BulletClub owns the wrestling world
Oh yeah? Where's the TNA takeover? :D
Big Red Machine

Saintpat wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:

Just out of curiosity, do you think there will ever, ever be an interesting matchup again? In ROH? In any other promotion?
Yes. Easily. I was the guy who publicly said I was interested in the Rhett Titus vs. Will Ferrara match in San Antonio simply because of the way Ferrara was portrayed in his match against Dijak at SCOH.

Interesting matches come from two places:
1. Setting them up with interesting stories first (the Briscoes vs. War Machine match is one I was very interested in, although I think they could have done a much better job setting it up). This is not an interesting story. We've seen this big invasion/big heel stable so many times before.
2. Novelty. How many times just this year alone have we seen the big clusterf*ck tag team match main event or big crazy, spotty Young Bucks main event? West Warrick, both nights of SCOH, Philly, the Anniversary Show, Duluth, Collinsville, Indy- that's pretty much every show this year! Now go back a bit farther:
There was that TV 3-way with reDRagon and Cole/Bennett... a match which it literally made no sense whatsoever for the Bucks to be involved in, but they were anyway. Final Battle had two of them (the tag title #1 contendership match and the KRD vs. Shelley, ACH, Sydal match). There was the main event in Ft. Lauderdale. There was SOTF Night 1. There was the Detroit/Chicago weekend in September, and several 6-man tags with them teaming with AJ in the spring and summer of last year (and that's not counting those of us who have been watching PWG and/or the New Japan Jr. Heavyweight scene).
Yes, it is true that they have never teamed with Cole, but let's be honest: most of these matches tend to feel exactly the same, and when it comes to matches like this, Cole tends to wrestle even more like the Bucks than AJ does. It's Bullet Club/Mount Rushmore. We've seen it too many times already, in all of its forms.
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

Hopefully that Bullet Club pic will be amended after Extreme Rules with Bálor teamed up with Gallows and Anderson.
Embracejg

Post by Embracejg »

I appreciate the discussion on this angle with those who are being civil and not just hating without giving an explanation outside of their own preferences.

I still say this is all a hell of a lot more interesting than a Colt Cabana title win.

I'm not trying to apologize for Delirious's booking flaws, of which he was many, but think of it this way. With how the Bullet Club angle rolled out the past two shows:

-Adam Cole is back and has most of the roster with reason to want to kick his ass
-Adam Page can be used in a more interesting way
-Colt Cabana's goal for coming back (winning the title) was snatched away by this group. While simply losing to Lethal wouldn't give him much logical reason to stick around, he instead is set up as one of the big babyfaces to defend ROH. That's a role he's capable of playing. World champion isn't.
-There's a bigger storyline with the NJPW crossover now, which many members here have been asking for.

Perhaps people here need to relax about a title match going to a non-finish and think about how it may build something much bigger, unexpected, and exciting.

It'd be a far different situation if it was a finish involving Taeler or any HoT interference helping Lethal, which is what has dragged down his reign. THAT sort of garbage is insulting and dissatisfying for a viewer, and doesn't push a story along or start something new. This angle certainly did.
Saintpat

Post by Saintpat »

I really like Adam Page's progression from generic young wrestler to young boy to coming out of it as a rising badass. And I enjoy his work in the ring. I think by this time next year he can be in the title scene, at least TV title, in a big way.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

I think DX is onto something with the empty space behind Cole's shoulder in that pic. Any thoughts who that might be?
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:I think DX is onto something with the empty space behind Cole's shoulder in that pic. Any thoughts who that might be?
I mean, it could be nothing, but it's a pretty noticeable space. I feel like that's a spot that's meant to be filled.
Big Red Machine

Embracejg wrote:I appreciate the discussion on this angle with those who are being civil and not just hating without giving an explanation outside of their own preferences.

I still say this is all a hell of a lot more interesting than a Colt Cabana title win.

I'm not trying to apologize for Delirious's booking flaws, of which he was many, but think of it this way. With how the Bullet Club angle rolled out the past two shows:

-Adam Cole is back and has most of the roster with reason to want to kick his ass
-Adam Page can be used in a more interesting way
-Colt Cabana's goal for coming back (winning the title) was snatched away by this group. While simply losing to Lethal wouldn't give him much logical reason to stick around, he instead is set up as one of the big babyfaces to defend ROH. That's a role he's capable of playing. World champion isn't.
-There's a bigger storyline with the NJPW crossover now, which many members here have been asking for.

Perhaps people here need to relax about a title match going to a non-finish and think about how it may build something much bigger, unexpected, and exciting.

It'd be a far different situation if it was a finish involving Taeler or any HoT interference helping Lethal, which is what has dragged down his reign. THAT sort of garbage is insulting and dissatisfying for a viewer, and doesn't push a story along or start something new. This angle certainly did.
I agree with you that it is better than Cabana just winning the belt here and better than him just losing right away. As for Page, this is more interesting than what he was doing as a babyface, but I think it is actually less interesting that him being Whitmer's "star pupil" in the Decade, as the guy that he can point to and say "I made this guy." Whitmer would be reduced to more often than not a managerial role while Page would be the real top star of the Decade (even though Whitmer would still be the leader of the group).

I don't think that this Bullet Club thing qualifies as a storyline for the NJPW crossover. If Omega was leading them, then I would agree, but four of the six guys in the group are under contract to ROH, not New Japan. I didn't see Tanahashi or Tanahashi or even Elgin coming out to fight the Bullet Club. This is an ROH storyline that sometimes will use the Guerrillas of Destiny.

As for doing something like having Lethal cheat to beat Cabana or win via HOT distraction, I disagree with you that that is what has been dragging Lethal's title reign down. Lethal's title reign has been dragged down by doing dirty finishes with no follow-up. I do think that there have been too many times when Lethal has had to cheat (even in Proving Ground matches against guys like Stevie Richards! If Lethal isn't going to beat him clean then why are you even booking Stevie Richards at all?), but I think people would be more understanding if there was some follow-up to it like a rematch where Lethal wins clean. For the particular story they are telling with Cabana, a finish like a distraction leading to a low blow into a Lethal Injection, or Lethal winning with his feet on the ropes would have been perfect. At SCOH Cabana proved he could beat Lethal cleanly, so a perfect way to continue the story would be for Lethal to now have to rely on cheating to ultimately put Colt down, leading to a rematch where we have some sort of stipulation in place to prevent said cheating in which Lethal wins clean. I would have much preferred that to what we got at Global Wars.
Big Red Machine

JTCole wrote:Hopefully that Bullet Club pic will be amended after Extreme Rules with Bálor teamed up with Gallows and Anderson.
Yeah, but then there would be no one in NXT, and it looks cooler with more promotions on there.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Four of the rumored matches for NYC officially confirmed:
The WAR OF THE WORLDS TOUR is in full swing! The collaborative relationship between Ring of Honor and New Japan Pro Wrestling continues, bringing you matches and experiences you can't find anywhere else!

On Saturday, May 14th, Ring of Honor returns to Terminal 5 in New York City as part of the WAR OF THE WORLDS TOUR! This event is already SOLD OUT! But it will be available as a video on demand release on ROHwrestling.com soon after the event so you can catch up on the action no matter where you are.

Just signed for the May 14th conclusion of the WAR OF THE WORLDS TOUR:

- MARK BRISCOE VS. JUSHIN THUNDER LIGER
(subject to change)

Wildman vs. a living legend when Mark Briscoe takes on Jushin Thunder Liger! On the surface, this might look like a clash in styles. But last year, we saw Liger combat the unconventional strategy of Dalton Castle with some surprises of his own. This is sure to be a VERY memorable moment on May 14th!

- FOUR CORNER SURVIVAL - LIO RUSH VS. MOOSE W/ STOKELY HATHAWAY VS. DALTON CASTLE W/ THE BOYS VS. MICHAEL ELGIN

Speaking of Dalton Castle, he's packing up The Boys for a night in New York City and a huge Four Corner Survival! "Huge" is an understatement when you add Michael Elgin and Moose into the fray! Rounding out this eclectic mix is the 2016 ROH Top Prospect, Lio Rush. It's getting crazy at Terminal 5!

MATT SYDAL VS. GEDO

Styles clash signed for Terminal 5! How do you keep a world-renowned high flyer like Matt Sydal on the ground? We're sure Gedo has more than a few dishonorable tactics in his strategic arsenal!

SILAS YOUNG VS. IWGP JR HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION KUSHIDA

Everyone in ROH wants a shot at KUSHIDA, one of the most exciting fan favorites in NJPW! Although this is not contested as a title match, there's no doubt international eyes will be locked on this match. But Silas Young doesn't care about impressing anyone or the cheers of the crowd; on May 14th, he's just looking for a fight!
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

If you don't think there'll be any interesting match-ups out of the Bullet Club vs. the rest of ROH, then your definition of interesting may be very skewed.

The TV taping tomorrow is what I'm really looking forward to, personally. Although in hindsight, while I know it may have been going out of their way, ROH should have done the TV taping the night after the PPV in Toronto and then came back and done a show in Dearborn, then Milwaukee and gave the guys Thursday off before doing NYC. They'd have sold-out Milwaukee with ease and their the hottest crowd ROH has. It would have created some more buzz too as the TV taping would have came right off the back of the PPV and they could have sent someone back to Baltimore with the footage to begin editing and then have them rejoin on the Friday(the same people who edit also do camerawork and production).
Big Red Machine

The Dragon Saga wrote: The TV taping tomorrow is what I'm really looking forward to, personally. Although in hindsight, while I know it may have been going out of their way, ROH should have done the TV taping the night after the PPV in Toronto and then came back and done a show in Dearborn, then Milwaukee and gave the guys Thursday off before doing NYC. They'd have sold-out Milwaukee with ease and their the hottest crowd ROH has. It would have created some more buzz too as the TV taping would have came right off the back of the PPV and they could have sent someone back to Baltimore with the footage to begin editing and then have them rejoin on the Friday(the same people who edit also do camerawork and production).
Good point.
TowerOfDoom

Post by TowerOfDoom »

Not sure if this has already been said, but I looked on the events page and for Toronto they signed a 8 man tag with Briscoes/Lethal/Strong vs Bucks/Guerillas of Destiny. Pretty weird randomly having Strong in it since he's a heel, maybe he will screw team ROH and join the Bullet Club? Also on the page is Liger/Burger vs ANX.
ICW

Post by ICW »

Hey guys,

I'm attending the War of the Worlds Terminal 5 show on Saturday and I have a question regarding the pre-show autograph signing. It seems like most people prefer to pay with cash but I'm looking to pay with a Credit Card. I see that the ROH site says they accept all major credit cards but I've been told you have to pay the wrestlers directly (with cash). Is this true? I went to Field of Honor last June and I paid at a ticket table via CC but I've asked people who attended this past WotW show and they claimed it was cash only.

Thanks!
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Contact ROH directly.
ICW

Post by ICW »

supersonic wrote:Contact ROH directly.
I messaged them on Facebook but they haven't gotten back to me. Worst comes to worst, I'll show up with cash -- although I prefer the method they used at Field of Honor. You went to the ticket table, paid there with cash or credit, and they gave you autograph tickets for each wrestler. Then you simply handed the ticket to the wrestler or to their handler.