Official Global Wars/War Of The Worlds 2016 Super Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Big Red Machine

Re: Official Global Wars/War Of The Worlds 2016 Super Thread

Post by Big Red Machine »

My thoughts on the ending of the show:

Cabana and Lethal were having a really good match but then, when Cabana had Lethal locked in the Billy Goat’s Curse, Taeler Hendrix came out and pulled Sinclair out of the ring. For some reason the Young Bucks came out to try to superkick Taeler, but they missed and accidentally took out Sinclair. Then they superkicked Taeler, too.
Then they pulled out some Bullet Club shirts and got in the ring and offered both Lethal and Cabana shirts. Lethal and Cabana looked highly confused by all of this. Then things got even more confusing when we had a magical power outage. When the lights came back on, Adam Cole was in the ring with the Bucks, wearing a Bullet Club t-shirt. He’s also standing RIGHT IN FRONT OF LETHAL AND CABANA… so what the f*ck was the point of turning off the lights?!
Then Cole gives the signal and the Bucks superkick Lethal and Cabana… except that the fact that they did block looked utterly ridiculous considering it had been a good ninety seconds since either of them had taken an offensive move and the Bucks were standing right in front of them.
Cole and the Bucks continued to beat down and superkick both guys. A bunch of security dorks run to eat superkicks and get powerbombed through tables and eat the Bucks cool moves because superkick. For TEN F*CKING MINUTES we watched the Bullet Club (but mostly Cole and Bucks) beat up security guys, and anyone else who happened to be in the area.
Kevin Kelly eats a superkick. Mr. Wrestling III eats a superkick. More people get beaten up. A cameraman gets superkicked. Oh. And the fans are all cheering these guys assaulting innocent people, including two innocent people that these guys were just cheering their hearts out for. Some guy in a shiny shirt comes out. I think it’s Matt Taven, but I’m not sure because there was no commentary. Cole wants to superkick him, but the Bucks stop Cole from doing so. Then they all give him a triple superkick. That was stupid. Why stop Cole? Because SWERVE! That’s why. F*ck this retarded Vince Russo bullsh*t.
This went on for TEN STRAIGHT MINUTES, with no one doing anything about it.
WHERE THE F*CK IS NIGEL MCGUINNESS? Where are the Briscoes? Where is Michael Elgin? Where is Roderick Strong? Where is reDRagon? Where is Matt Sydal? Where are the Motor City Machine Guns? Where are the guys to whom this company has MEANT something? The guys who got their big breaks here, or came here because of freedom it provides them or because they’ve been here for so long that they have made it their home?
Remember when they did that big angle with SCUM at the 11th Anniversary Show? When SCUM came out and started beating everyone up (AFTER we got a clean finish to out PPV main event, I might add)? Did everyone else in the locker room just sit on their hands and do nothing? F*ck no! The Briscoes and Michael Elgin and the American Wolves and BJ Whitmer and a whole bunch of others came out to fight them off because ROH MEANT SOMETHING and they were going to be damned if they let SCUM come in and take over the place and turn ROH upside down.

I don’t know what the f*ck I just watched, but it sure as hell wasn’t Ring of Honor.

I’m going to be perfectly blunt with you all: I almost feel like crying right now. I own over 430 ROH DVDs. When you also factor in money spent on live PPVs, VODs, ringside membership, tickets to shows, etc. I have probably spent at least $3,000 on ROH in the past eight years. And right now: I feel like this thing that I love so much that I’ve put so much time and money into it is dead. And in its place is this disgusting, bastardized, over-booked, creatively lazy, f*cking Young Bucks circle-jerk. This must be what it felt like to be an ECW fan in 2006. Everything that ROH used to stand for: good stories, good booking, wrestling presented as serious competition, young and/or underappreciated wrestlers getting the chance to come in and show you what they can really do, and- most of all- CLEAN FINISHES is DEAD!

This was a really good show until Delirious decided to take sh*t on all of our collective chests in the main event. Meanwhile, EVOLVE did an angle that has gotten more buzz than anything on the indies since the height of the Steen vs. Generico feud. I’m going to go watch that instead. They actually give me something that is worth my money.

And for those saying "but it's a hot angle!"... there is no reason they couldn't have given us a clean finish on PPV and done this on TV.
Robareid

Post by Robareid »

While I don't disagree with a lot of that, the EVOLVE main event had a non-finish to allow them to do the angle too.
Robareid

Post by Robareid »

monster mafia wrote:
supersonic wrote:
monster mafia wrote:
men,stop posting things and talk for yourself...is annoying.
Annoying you is something I can live with.
whatever men..good luck with the breaking news again.
Play nice you two.
Saintpat

Post by Saintpat »

Big Red Machine wrote:My thoughts on the ending of the show:

Cabana and Lethal were having a really good match but then, when Cabana had Lethal locked in the Billy Goat’s Curse, Taeler Hendrix came out and pulled Sinclair out of the ring. For some reason the Young Bucks came out to try to superkick Taeler, but they missed and accidentally took out Sinclair. Then they superkicked Taeler, too.
Then they pulled out some Bullet Club shirts and got in the ring and offered both Lethal and Cabana shirts. Lethal and Cabana looked highly confused by all of this. Then things got even more confusing when we had a magical power outage. When the lights came back on, Adam Cole was in the ring with the Bucks, wearing a Bullet Club t-shirt. He’s also standing RIGHT IN FRONT OF LETHAL AND CABANA… so what the f*ck was the point of turning off the lights?!
Then Cole gives the signal and the Bucks superkick Lethal and Cabana… except that the fact that they did block looked utterly ridiculous considering it had been a good ninety seconds since either of them had taken an offensive move and the Bucks were standing right in front of them.
Cole and the Bucks continued to beat down and superkick both guys. A bunch of security dorks run to eat superkicks and get powerbombed through tables and eat the Bucks cool moves because superkick. For TEN F*CKING MINUTES we watched the Bullet Club (but mostly Cole and Bucks) beat up security guys, and anyone else who happened to be in the area.
Kevin Kelly eats a superkick. Mr. Wrestling III eats a superkick. More people get beaten up. A cameraman gets superkicked. Oh. And the fans are all cheering these guys assaulting innocent people, including two innocent people that these guys were just cheering their hearts out for. Some guy in a shiny shirt comes out. I think it’s Matt Taven, but I’m not sure because there was no commentary. Cole wants to superkick him, but the Bucks stop Cole from doing so. Then they all give him a triple superkick. That was stupid. Why stop Cole? Because SWERVE! That’s why. F*ck this retarded Vince Russo bullsh*t.
WHERE THE F*CK IS NIGEL MCGUINNESS? Where are the Briscoes? Where is Michael Elgin? Where is Roderick Strong? Where is reDRagon? Where is Matt Sydal? Where are the Motor City Machine Guns? Where are the guys to whom this company has MEANT something? The guys who got their big breaks here, or came here because of freedom it provides them or because they’ve been here for so long that they have made it their home?
Remember when they did that big angle with SCUM at the 11th Anniversary Show? When SCUM came out and started beating everyone up (AFTER we got a clean finish to out PPV main event, I might add)? Did everyone else in the locker room just sit on their hands and do nothing? F*ck no! The Briscoes and Michael Elgin and the American Wolves and BJ Whitmer and a whole bunch of others came out to fight them off because ROH MEANT SOMETHING and they were going to be damned if they let SCUM come in and take over the place and turn ROH upside down.

I don’t know what the f*ck I just watched, but it sure as hell wasn’t Ring of Honor.

I’m going to be perfectly blunt with you all: I almost feel like crying right now. I own over 430 ROH DVDs. When you also factor in money spent on live PPVs, VODs, ringside membership, tickets to shows, etc. I have probably spent at least $3,000 on ROH in the past eight years. And right now: I feel like this thing that I love so much that I’ve put so much time and money into it is dead. And in its place is this disgusting, bastardized, over-booked, creatively lazy, f*cking Young Bucks circle-jerk. This must be what it felt like to be an ECW fan in 2006. Everything that ROH used to stand for: good stories, good booking, wrestling presented as serious competition, young and/or underappreciated wrestlers getting the chance to come in and show you what they can really do, and- most of all- CLEAN FINISHES is DEAD!

This was a really good show until Delirious decided to take sh*t on all of our collective chests in the main event. Meanwhile, EVOLVE did an angle that has gotten more buzz than anything on the indies since the height of the Steen vs. Generico feud. I’m going to go watch that instead. They actually give me something that is worth my money.

And for those saying "but it's a hot angle!"... there is no reason they couldn't have given us a clean finish on PPV and done this on TV.
You feel like crying over the result of a wrestling match?

You apparently were around for the Cornette era, and THIS made you cry?
Big Red Machine

Robareid wrote:While I don't disagree with a lot of that, the EVOLVE main event had a non-finish to allow them to do the angle too.
That didn't cost $45 and wasn't pushed more than any other EVOLVE show. Also, EVOLVE has not developed a continuing pattern of bullsh*t finishes in big spots like ROH has.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

Dearborn spoiler, they already announce it on their twitter but just in case anyone don´t want spoilers.
Spoiler: show
ROH Wrestling ‏@ringofhonor
Shocker in Dearborn... We have *New* World Tag Team Champions the ADDICTION

Why in the absolute fuck? War Machine just had their best match as a team against the Briscoes, fuck off!
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

187_Joeism wrote:Dearborn spoiler

Why in the absolute fuck? War Machine just had their best match as a team against the Briscoes, fuck off!
Well that's totally out of left field....
Big Red Machine

Saintpat wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:My thoughts on the ending of the show:

You feel like crying over the result of a wrestling match?

You apparently were around for the Cornette era, and THIS made you cry?
Not the result of the match, but the fact that this thing I love and support and have put so much time into has turned into a bastardized version of itself. Yes. It made me angry and sad to the point where I almost felt like crying. Yes.

If you can't see the HUGE difference between this and the Cornette Era, then you just plain don't understand booking. The Cornette Era, for all of its flaws and its campiness, was logical, the stories were told competently, and they never f*cked you on a finish in a big spot (and don't bring up the ether: that's a lame finish, but not a bullsh*t one. Steen vs. Lethal at Killer Instinct was the only one, and that was on a regular show... and even that got Cornette removed from power). It might have been "Smoky Mountain of Honor," but that "Honor" part was still in there. The principles that the company was founded on and booked around since its inception (cheating, interference, DQs, ref bumps, and bullsh*t finishes are bad and should be avoided at all costs) were still clearly in force. Nowadays... not so much. This would NEVER have happened on a PPV under Cornette or Pearce or Gabe.
fm20000

Post by fm20000 »

Fucking

Fire

Delirious

As

Booker

keep him in some other fucking role if you feel he's earned it. BUT HE CAN NOT BOOK THIS COMPANY ANYMORE
WHG

Post by WHG »

My comments on the Dearborn spoiler...
This is a brutal call. I was tired of the War Machine reign...but there's no reason not to have the Briscoes win last night...or have the Bucks win them to further the BC angle. Or have the MCMG win them in their hometown.

The Addiction lost to fucking Cheeseburger last night. I'm not a Delerious witch-hunt guy, but this is the worst title call he's made since pulling the trigger on Elgin in May 2014.
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

ROHFan25 wrote:I mean it's possible but wouldn't you rather have a solid plan B rather than just relying on outside talent? Why can't you build your own guys, make them stars and then also have the New Japan deal?
You absolutely can. Lethal/Cabana had absolutely no NJPW involvement, and was pretty easily the hottest match last night. Yeah that was helped by being in Chicago, but I also think it had more to do with being one of the few matches on the card with an actually good angle going into it. This is why I was all for having this main event, even though a lot of people complained that an NJPW star wasn't in the main.
The only other match with a feud to a lesser extent was Briscoes/War Machine and again, that stood out as MOTN to most.

Don't forget that ROH has had very good marquee programs the last few years, particular in the World Title scene, while still having NJPW shows. So, it's definitely possible.

I'm not saying there isn't an issue now; there absolutely is, but I think it's solvable while keeping the relationship. I also think limiting NJPW appearances to fewer shows per year would be helpful. Allowing ROH guys to go over to Japan and building North American versions of NJPW factions like Bullet Club allows you to get the NJPW rub but keep the focus on your regular roster guys like Cole, The Bucks, Sydal, etc.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

that tittle change...my god..so bad.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

I think all the complaining here about Delirious was exaggerated but with the end of the PPV and now this i have no idea what he is doing.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

MOOSE

A great match. This may have been the best Moose has ever looked. Great, hard hitting match. Loved this.

Big Moose chant after the match. He fought his heart out.
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

187_Joeism wrote:Dearborn spoiler, they already announce it on their twitter but just in case anyone don´t want spoilers.

THIS SUCKS.
Seriously, one of the few times people have been raving about a War Machine match. They just proved they're worthy champs. Yeah, their reign kind of sucked but this was the last chance shot in the arm that could have legitimized them.

The Addiction on the other hand has been getting a worse reaction than War Machine (even before last night), has not had a great match in their entire tenure in ROH, got beat by fucking Cheeseburger, and were far less over than Cheeseburger. As deep as the tag division is, they're pretty boring and down at the bottom.

I haven't minded Delirious's booking overall because for all his flaws he's gotten a lot of stuff really right. But this seems to defy any logic.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

187_Joeism wrote:I think all the complaining here about Delirious was exaggerated but with the end of the PPV and now this i have no idea what he is doing.
I knew you'd come to our side of thinking.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

ITT folks not grasping that much of the booking is determined by politics, not generating buzz, telling epic stories, and solidifying the roster. As long as the formula continues to still draw based on brand name, this shit will continue. This is a poor man's WWE and doesn't look good with the ongoing, much hotter, more nuanced Reigns vs. Styles and Zayn vs. Owens feuds that are also far more accessible.
Last edited by supersonic on Mon May 09, 2016 6:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:
187_Joeism wrote:I think all the complaining here about Delirious was exaggerated but with the end of the PPV and now this i have no idea what he is doing.
I knew you'd come to our side of thinking.
I still don´t agree with everything you guys complained about but i can´t defend this because makes no sense at all.
Fawrules

Post by Fawrules »

Weren't people on this board complaining about War Machine not being over just last night? This really isn't even in reference to the outrage over the spoiler from tonight's show, but more genuine puzzlement as I'm seeing people on Twitter calling the match War Machine had last night "A star making performance". Like, which is it?
Last edited by Fawrules on Mon May 09, 2016 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

Fawrules wrote:Weren't people on this board complaining about War Machine not being over just last night?
And then they proved people wrong by having a great match, got rewarded with this...