Official Global Wars/War Of The Worlds 2016 Super Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
187_Joeism

Re: Official Global Wars/War Of The Worlds 2016 Super Thread

Post by 187_Joeism »

dhads7161 wrote:When did Bucks and Omega win back the NEVER titles? Though Elgin, Yoshitatsu, & Tanahashi still had them?
Wrestling Dontaku 2016
Blackshirt30

Post by Blackshirt30 »

Dontaku...last Tuesday.
GardenStateSaint

Post by GardenStateSaint »

Burnside wrote:- Speaking of which, Bullet Club will be treated like giant babyfaces by live crowds in pretty much every market unless they can find a way to beat up Colt Cabana in Chicago on every single show. So another angle where the cool heels will fight the lame babyfaces as everybody cheers the heels.
New York, New York.
Tomato cans don't stand a chance.
Robareid

Post by Robareid »

I know, armchair booker and all that, but bare with me:
  • The whole show goes down exactly how it did up until the main event.

Lethal and Colt have a full uninterrupted match, and Lethal wins (preferably clean, but at least mostly clean).

Post match you tease a respect thing (handshake perhaps) between Lethal and Colt only for them both to get jumped by the Young Bucks.

After a short beatdown Colt and Lethal start fighting back and working together and get the upper hand.

Then *lights go out* (if you really want to do it that way) Adam Cole hits the ring and teams up with the Bucks and the three of them take Colt and Lethal out.

Then you have your nWo close-out of the show if you really have to (I'd rather it was way turned down so it was less goofy but I'm trying to change as little as possible here).
Little changes, but how much does that improve the show? Even if Lethal vs. Colt doesn't turn out to be great at least it'd feel fulfilling, and you still get your exact same hot closing segment without the need for a bad taste being left in your mouth.

That'd also let you appreciate the undercard more, which I thought was actually booked well and was solid->good in terms of in-ring:

Castle gets a fairly big win and they seem to be pushing him up the card
Briscoes-War Machine have a really good match and it was ROH-ROH
There was balance between NJPW and ROH in the booking (big matches went 1-1, other tags with NJPW were balanced too)
Bobby Fish's title win felt important and got his reign off to a good start

Sure, Kyle losing coming off his big win against Cole wasn't ideal, but that would sting a whole lot less when you have a positive feel coming out from the show.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

What I want to know is where this leaves the Taven vs. Cole feud.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Robareid wrote:I know, armchair booker and all that, but bare with me:
  • The whole show goes down exactly how it did up until the main event.

Lethal and Colt have a full uninterrupted match, and Lethal wins (preferably clean, but at least mostly clean).

Post match you tease a respect thing (handshake perhaps) between Lethal and Colt only for them both to get jumped by the Young Bucks.

After a short beatdown Colt and Lethal start fighting back and working together and get the upper hand.

Then *lights go out* (if you really want to do it that way) Adam Cole hits the ring and teams up with the Bucks and the three of them take Colt and Lethal out.

Then you have your nWo close-out of the show if you really have to (I'd rather it was way turned down so it was less goofy but I'm trying to change as little as possible here).
Little changes, but how much does that improve the show? Even if Lethal vs. Colt doesn't turn out to be great at least it'd feel fulfilling, and you still get your exact same hot closing segment without the need for a bad taste being left in your mouth.

That'd also let you appreciate the undercard more, which I thought was actually booked well and was solid->good in terms of in-ring:

Castle gets a fairly big win and they seem to be pushing him up the card
Briscoes-War Machine have a really good match and it was ROH-ROH
There was balance between NJPW and ROH in the booking (big matches went 1-1, other tags with NJPW were balanced too)
Bobby Fish's title win felt important and got his reign off to a good start

Sure, Kyle losing coming off his big win against Cole wasn't ideal, but that would sting a whole lot less when you have a positive feel coming out from the show.
Hit the nail right on the head! Bottom line is that this angle could have been handled much better.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

dhads7161 wrote:What I want to know is where this leaves the Taven vs. Cole feud.
I was actually just about to bring this up! It wouldn't shock me at all if Taven's new Kingdom will be pushed as faces now....
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

ROHFan25 wrote:Imagine spending $35-45 on a PPV and that is the ending. I mean people can spin it in ROHs favor in any way, shape or form. That's not something that is going to leave the casual fans with a good taste in their mouth. This is NWO WCW shit.
That's the big issue. Almost every major wrestling company, as well as a ton of indies, have their own streaming services that are around $10 a month (depending on what service you're talking about). I think they have more leeway to get away with stuff like that, because of those services, but when you're selling PPV's for $45 in HD, you can't pull stuff like that in the Main Event.
ROHFan25 wrote:With that being said...I love Cole in the Bullet Club.
Completely agree.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

I don´t think Taven vs Cole is going to happen, it was only a way for Cole to leave The Kingdom and start that with Taven instead of the beginning of a feud.
Montana

Post by Montana »

May be a dumb question, but why would bullet club (Bucks & Cole) attack Colt/Lethal and ROH? Was there anything that led up to this, or was it out of the blue? Why would Bucks/Cole be Anti-ROH?
Embracejg

Post by Embracejg »

I was front row for this show, and I loved every second of it.

Maybe you'll call me a mark for the NJPW guys, but Chicago has never gotten to see them and I could care less about the match results on ROH guys losing. It was an amazing experience to see them and one I'll never forget.

Too many people on this board seem to kayfabe themselves on wins and losses.

No idea what anyone is talking about in terms of the crowd being dead. Crowd was alive all night from where I was sitting, with only a bit of confusion on the tag title and TV title finishes because no one rang the bell.

The only match I had absolutely no interest in was the main event, because Colt isn't a main event performer, whether you're judging him by his in-ring work or promo skills as a serious, not comedy wrestler. So having this big angle create something interesting out of a match which shouldn't have been headlining a major PPV in the first place is 100% OK by me.
kconstangs

Post by kconstangs »

Embracejg wrote:I was front row for this show, and I loved every second of it.

Maybe you'll call me a mark for the NJPW guys, but Chicago has never gotten to see them and I could care less about the match results on ROH guys losing. It was an amazing experience to see them and one I'll never forget.

No idea what anyone is talking about in terms of the crowd being dead. Crowd was alive all night from where I was sitting, with only a bit of confusion on the tag title and TV title finishes because no one rang the bell.

The only match I had absolutely no interest in was the main event, because Colt isn't a main event performer, whether you're judging him by his in-ring work or promo skills as a serious, not comedy wrestler. So having this big angle create something interesting out of a match which shouldn't have been headlining a major PPV in the first place is 100% OK by me.

Really glad you enjoyed the show but I bolded the part I found most concerning for ROH. Diehard fans only care about seeing the stars and I'm afraid once they are gone, so will the fans
damasta414

Post by damasta414 »

Embracejg wrote:I was front row for this show, and I loved every second of it.

I was in the front row as well and I agree with you about the crowd being alive. ROH didnt have the crowd mic's up. I went home and watched it again and it seemed like we were all dead.
Saintpat

Post by Saintpat »

I understand the argument, sort of, but I have to say that I have never once thought, "Well, I'm only paying $10 a month for WWE so who cares how the PPV is booked; BUT, I'm paying more for an ROH PPV so they better book it this way ..."

If I pay for an event on my TV or iPad, I'm willing to pay whatever I pay for it (for instance I'm a big boxing fan and didn't get Canelo-Khan). Once I've made that decision, I'm not doing a dollars vs. booking/main event ending equation.

If I'm entertained, it's money well spent. If I'm not, it's not -- I've enjoyed every ROH PPV that I've ever gotten (to varying degrees, obviously some are better than others) so I don't go back to "but how much did I pay for it?" If I agree to pay $35 or $45 or whatever (usually split the cost with a friend and watch together, or sometimes if I can't make it I'll pitch in a few bucks and he'll get me a DVD, which was the case with this one), then I've decided up front that whatever I'm paying is worth it to me for that evening's entertainment. I might have paid a similar amount to go to a movie if I decided to do that, and sometimes the movie is worth it and sometimes not.

I don't buy an EVOLVE show for a lower price and say, "Well, it wasn't that great but it didn't cost that much." My last EVOLVE experience (live) was horrible, so I'd never do that again, nor would I pay $10 to see some TNA guy cut an anti-WWE promo or whatever they're up to these days.

That's how I make my decisions. ROH has been worth it for me because they entertain me. If I have a few ROH PPVs where I'm not entertained, then I'll quit buying. But there's no money/booking sliding scale for me. It perplexes me that people think that way.

EDIT: Wondering if some of the people making the "if they charge this much" point are also people who watched on a free stream?
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

They finally posted info on the autograph signings:
The biggest wrestling week of the spring is Here! ROH will be holding special autograph signings each night during the War of the Worlds Tour, which kicks off with Global Wars, Sunday, May 8th LIVE on Pay Per View.

If you can’t join us in Chicago Ridge, join us LIVE on Pay Per View from the comfort of your own home. Global Wars will be available on all major providers, FITE TV, rohwrestling.com & the Playstation Network!

Below is the list of ROH and New Japan Pro-Wrestling stars appearing for each autograph signing, as well as our pricing options to ensure you get autographs with everyone!

GLOBAL WARS
5/8/16 - Chicago Ridge, IL

ROH World Champion Jay Lethal
IWGP Heavyweight Champion Tetsuya Naito
ROH World Tag Team Champions War Machine
IWGP Heavyweight Tag Team Champions Guerrillas of Destiny
ROH World TV Champion Tomohiro Ishii
IWGP Junior Heavyweight Champion KUSHIDA
“Rainmaker” Kazuchika Okada
Gedo
Hiroshi Tanahashi
Jushin “Thunder” Liger
Colt Cabana

WAR OF THE WORLDS TOUR
5/9/16 - Dearborn, MI
Gedo
Hiroshi Tanahashi
Jushin “Thunder” Liger
Motor City Machine Guns
ACH
The Young Bucks

WAR OF THE WORLDS TOUR
5/11/16 - Toronto, ON
IWGP Intercontinental Champion “The Clearner” Kenny Omega
Gedo
Hiroshi Tanahashi
reDRagon
Jushin “Thunder” Liger
Women of Honor Star - Veda Scott
RPG Vice (Rocky Romero & Beretta)
“Unbreakable” Michael Elgin
Dalton Castle
The Young Bucks
Colt Cabana

WAR OF THE WORLDS TOUR
5/14/16 - NYC
ROH World Champion Jay Lethal
Gedo
Hiroshi Tanahashi
reDRagon
Jushin “Thunder” Liger
MOOSE
#Reborn Matt Sydal
The Young Bucks

PRICING IS AS FOLLOWS for 5/8 Chicago Ridge, 5/9 Dearborn and 5/14 New York City

Singles Wrestlers - $20.00 each (1) Personal item or 8x10 (ROH supplied) signed & (1) Posed Photo and $10.00 per additional item
Tag Teams - $30.00 (1) Personal item or 8x10 (ROH supplied) signed & (1) Posed Photo and $15.00 per additional item

PRICING IS AS FOLLOWS for 5/11 Toronto Only
Singles Wrestlers - $25.00 each (1) Personal item or 8x10 (ROH supplied) signed & (1) Posed Photo and $10.00 per additional item
Tag Teams - $35.00 (1) Personal item or 8x10 (ROH supplied) signed & (1) Posed Photo and $15.00 per additional item.

Cash & all major credit cards are accepted.
Robareid

Post by Robareid »

This show is a really bad one to push the ROH always jobs to NJPW narrative. In the two interpromotional singles matches they went 1-1 with ROH winning the one with a title on the line. The interpromotional tag matches were also balanced, playing out as follows:

NJPW & ROH def. ROH & ROH
NJPW & ROH def. NJPW & NJPW
Joint, Joint, NJPW & NJPW def. ROH, ROH, NJPW & Joint

There are shows and periods where ROH does get walked all over in the booking by NJPW, but I don't see tonight as one.
Brada

Post by Brada »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Agreed.
Robareid

Post by Robareid »

Saintpat wrote:I understand the argument, sort of, but I have to say that I have never once thought, "Well, I'm only paying $10 a month for WWE so who cares how the PPV is booked; BUT, I'm paying more for an ROH PPV so they better book it this way ..."

If I pay for an event on my TV or iPad, I'm willing to pay whatever I pay for it (for instance I'm a big boxing fan and didn't get Canelo-Khan). Once I've made that decision, I'm not doing a dollars vs. booking/main event ending equation.

If I'm entertained, it's money well spent. If I'm not, it's not -- I've enjoyed every ROH PPV that I've ever gotten (to varying degrees, obviously some are better than others) so I don't go back to "but how much did I pay for it?" If I agree to pay $35 or $45 or whatever (usually split the cost with a friend and watch together, or sometimes if I can't make it I'll pitch in a few bucks and he'll get me a DVD, which was the case with this one), then I've decided up front that whatever I'm paying is worth it to me for that evening's entertainment. I might have paid a similar amount to go to a movie if I decided to do that, and sometimes the movie is worth it and sometimes not.

I don't buy an EVOLVE show for a lower price and say, "Well, it wasn't that great but it didn't cost that much." My last EVOLVE experience (live) was horrible, so I'd never do that again, nor would I pay $10 to see some TNA guy cut an anti-WWE promo or whatever they're up to these days.

That's how I make my decisions. ROH has been worth it for me because they entertain me. If I have a few ROH PPVs where I'm not entertained, then I'll quit buying. But there's no money/booking sliding scale for me. It perplexes me that people think that way.

EDIT: Wondering if some of the people making the "if they charge this much" point are also people who watched on a free stream?

If you spend £50 on a meal at a restaurant do you not have higher expectations than when you spend £5 for some fast food?
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

With so many ROH guys working for New Japan now, it does muddy the waters a bit.

My review of the show for Voices of Wrestling just went up, which you can check out here:

http://www.voicesofwrestling.com/2016/0 ... ts-review/

Pretty much similar to what I've said on here. A very good show, up until the angle in the Main Event. The ROH World Tag Team Title & ROH World TV Title matches were the best of the night for me.
stevenkmason

Post by stevenkmason »

Tonight will be my first live ROH show. I started watching in the beginning then quit when Gabe left and just came back around Final Battle this year. Pretty happy with the product. Doesn't live up to they heyday but nothing ever does.

I really enjoyed last night's show overall. Even the fuck finish.

How do the signings work? Are they generally available between when the doors open (6) and when the bell rings (7:30)?