Official Global Wars/War Of The Worlds 2016 Super Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
supersonic

Re: Official Global Wars/War Of The Worlds 2016 Super Thread

Post by supersonic »

187_Joeism wrote:I don´t have a problem with the angle, just doing it in the middle of the match. If they do the same thing once the match is finished i would have no problem with it.
This is on the money - Death Before Dishonor II Pt. 2 showed EXACTLY how to execute this kind of segment.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

The Dragon Saga wrote: It's more just EVOLVE with me. Not to get off topic, but I just don't get EVOLVE. I said this yesterday, I know what Gabe is trying to do. He's trying to do competitive wrestling like he did in early ROH, only difference is he lacks personalities in EVOLVE outside of like Galloway and EC3. Had it not been for the WWE CCQ's, nobody would be even mentioning EVOLVE outside of the designated EVOLVE sections, but even with WWE's seal of approval they still don't have "It" to create any actual excitement. Global Wars is still trending on Twitter in the States an hour and a half after it went off the air, that's creating excitement, not having a guy cut a worked shoot on how hard hes worked and how "the man" be holding him down!
So I'm guessing you're not a fan of "grapplefuck"?

To be fair, I thought the EC3/Galloway angle from Evolve 61 was pretty good.
ROHFan25

Post by ROHFan25 »

The Dragon Saga wrote:
ROHFan25 wrote:But for $10-15 and you're getting 2 Crusierweight Classic qualifiers and Scurll/ZSJ...you can stomach it easier because it's cheaper and you got 2 ****+ matches.

That being said...I don't really care for the EVOLVE angle either. However, I'm interested to see where both go from here because Gabe has been outstanding lately at building guys and making almost everyone strong.
It's more just EVOLVE with me. Not to get off topic, but I just don't get EVOLVE. I said this yesterday, I know what Gabe is trying to do. He's trying to do competitive wrestling like he did in early ROH, only difference is he lacks personalities in EVOLVE outside of like Galloway and EC3. Had it not been for the WWE CCQ's, nobody would be even mentioning EVOLVE outside of the designated EVOLVE sections, but even with WWE's seal of approval they still don't have "It" to create any actual excitement. Global Wars is still trending on Twitter in the States an hour and a half after it went off the air, that's creating excitement, not having a guy cut a worked shoot on how hard hes worked and how "the man" be holding him down!

Anyways, back to the topic, the Superkick Counter and the ensuing banter between 3 and Kevin Kelly is easily the best back and forth commentary ROH has had for months. I legitimately laughed when that thing came up on screen.

I'm assuming you haven't been following EVOLVE over the past 6-12 months then because it's not really like that anymore. I mean you do have the pro graps guys like Catch Point and Thatcher, but there are some quality characters/stories going on in the promotion as well. Hero/Sabre Jr for example is just this incredible rivalry that constantly delivers. Catch Point story in general is solid. Riddle trying to get a WWE contract was cool. Riddle/Thatcher was good even though Thatcher is the definition of horribly boring. Fred Yehi another guy thats awesome.

And Global Wars is going to trend over Evolve of course, because ROH is a bigger company, it's on PPV and they have New Japan.

We're going to agree to disagree but I think if you surveyed 10 people who watch both products, more than half will agree Evolve is a superior product right now as a whole.

That being said...I think ROH has more buzz now because of that ending angle and because of how beloved the Bullet Club is. I just really hope Lethal doesn't turn face/become the flag bearer of Team ROH. He's too good of a heel.

And if you aren't a fan of "grapplefuck" I'm 100% with you. Hence why I can't watch anything Thatcher or Gulak do. TJP and Tracy Williams are fucking great though.
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

I don't know what that is and I don't think I'd like to know.

I know why they did it I just don't think it was necessary or that it made much sense in fact. EC3 has been holding all this pent up frustration inside so he decided to show up... at EVOLVE and vent. Instead of that national TV program hes on. Makes sense.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

This may be a very controversial statement, but even though the angle tonight had better wrestlers by far, I thought the S.C.U.M. angle from the 11th Anniversary Show was way better.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

now i understand why cole post pics on twitter of him with aj and balor...
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

A few thoughts I had while watching live:
-Crowd was surprisingly quiet most of the show. I thought it would have been amped up the whole time. Real hot for Cabana/Lethal though.
-Cheeseburger is more over than the Addiction and Cabana is more over than NJPW.
-My favorite match of the night was Tanahashi/Elgin vs Moose/Okada
-There was some sort of fan altercation in the crowd but instead of sending security to deal with it for some reason Christopher Daniels showed up to handle the situation. Weird.
-I would have really liked the finish angle under other situations but the main event was getting really good, crowd was super into it, and then the live excitement was kind of killed for me with the abrupt ending. Though it's probably better to leave it totally unfinished rather than having an actual fuck finish where Lethal gets the pin in my opinion. We've already seen that too much.
-ROH has been in need of a good main event angle for a while and I think this will fill that need nicely. It's also a worthy payoff for Cole's absence and should silence the rumors of him leaving in the immediate future.
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

Did anyone watch this on Fite TV, or even know about that? They were there live handing out free can koozies. When I asked the guy "what's on Fite TV?" he said "you can watch a broadcast of this show on there" and then mumbled something about mma and evolve. This is the first I heard anything of it. So the only people this broadcast option was advertised to were literally the only group of people that would have zero interest in purchasing a live broadcast?
Saintpat

Post by Saintpat »

Northwoods_Nightmare wrote: -There was some sort of fan altercation in the crowd but instead of sending security to deal with it for some reason Christopher Daniels showed up to handle the situation. Weird.
This sounds so Daniels.

I have a picture of him marching out in his military jacket like he's inspecting the troops, approaching the people in the spat and calling them to attention, then sending them on a 5-mile hike.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Not a heel move.
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

I'm about 110% sure he was being sarcastic and making a joke, but thank you for pointing out that he wasn't being a heel in case some people couldn't catch that.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

My bad on that.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

From a personal view I enjoyed the angle, although it certainly could have been done differently and was certainly an overbooked segment (but it just wouldn't be the Youngbucks if it wasn't really) it did everything that they wanted and needed it seemed. They kept Lethal as champ which I see as the right but with now something to be seriously worried about, Cabana can still be in the title picture without just simply dropping into a hole with being no real threat to anyone or story to drive him on. To finally Cole being someone who previously had very little direction and a path that wouldn't lead back to the main event level for a while, yet within one night they put him right back there and with now having something personal with two members of the roster which should give him and ROH so many fresh ideas hopefully. It could also give Cabana some amazingly strong babyface material both in single and tag team matches especially if they can find a good partner for him; ahh if only Punk was still around the tag team matches that the bucks and Punk/Cabana could have had would have been amazing.

You have a stable that can deliver matches and scenarios that should go way beyond what we saw from Scum, I also hope that it gives ROH a stronger presence in New Japan and maybe we will see Cole as a strong main event guy in both, what they do with Cole and Omega could again create some real interesting moments and possibly a great feud.

Overall I thought the whole PPV was very good and even though the crowd seemed slightly awkward, some people just don't seem to enjoy being a wrestling fan and loosing yourself and seem far for self conscious or are looking for something very different than what they delivered. I used the ROH website (which by the way delivered a fantastic stream and HD quality) so I payed a lot less than the $45. That being said they do need to look at their pricing, I think $25 dollars is more than enough and a lower price should increase a strong by rate especially where ROH finds themselves in with it's fan base. Even though imagine last tonight made some a good amount of money.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Am I going crazy or did Roh book young bucks vs. guerillas of destiny for tonight in Dearborn? I know they've been on the talent list, but I thought they added it to the card.

Secondly, I wonder how bullet club will skew tonight's show? I'd imagine they'd interject into a tag match. Or maybe again in the main event. Guess we'll see how this plays out.
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

Another title reign that meant nothing at the end of the day. I don't have an issue with Fish as champion per se, but it doesn't have the same impact as if he beat Lethal at ASE or even Roddy.

I really don't care about Cole in another stable, especially in the Bullet Club. We just saw that with the Kingdom for two years.

And finally, another $45 PPV main event title match with a fuck finish. It's quickly reaching TNA/late-WCW levels of shitty booking. Fitting that the show ended with an endless nWo beatdown.
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
roh2002fan

Post by roh2002fan »

Montana wrote:Am I going crazy or did Roh book young bucks vs. guerillas of destiny for tonight in Dearborn? I know they've been on the talent list, but I thought they added it to the card.

Secondly, I wonder how bullet club will skew tonight's show? I'd imagine they'd interject into a tag match. Or maybe again in the main event. Guess we'll see how this plays out.

I think the Main event will be a no contest, with BC attacking both teams, with Colt making the save and it turns into Bullet Club vs MCMG, Briscoes and Cabana
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

Question: will live crowds actually allow the Bullet Club to be heels?
Brada

Post by Brada »

^^^^^^^ Good question. Seems to me that everyone marks out for them. Makes you wonder what they would have to do to draw legitimate heat?