Official Global Wars/War Of The Worlds 2016 Super Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
ROHFan25

Re: Official Global Wars/War Of The Worlds 2016 Super Thread

Post by ROHFan25 »

Looking at reddit I'm seeing a ton of positive and a ton of negative on the finish. Everyone is talking about it though so that's a good point. I just really don't think that's how you end a show when your price point is higher than all of your competitors.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

Twitter is the same if you browser ringofhonor you will find people loving the show, people loving the show but the finish and people hating it.
ROHFan25

Post by ROHFan25 »

Agree 100% Joeism. I guess they didn't want Cabana to lose in Chicago, or they didn't want Lethal beating Cabana to be so overshadowed by the ending. I don't hate the angle...it's at least giving ROH a shot in the arm which is needed so fucking badly it's not even funny. I just don't agree with the placement and I thought it made Lethal look kind of shitty too.

I just will continue to say...you can not charge people $45 for a PPV and have a fuck finish to a main event. $10 WWE Network Rollins/Brock with Taker showing up you can kind of laugh it off/accept it. $45. Maybe I'm just cheap/out of touch...who knows lol
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

ROHFan25 wrote:Looking at reddit I'm seeing a ton of positive and a ton of negative on the finish. Everyone is talking about it though so that's a good point. I just really don't think that's how you end a show when your price point is higher than all of your competitors.
All they to do was book an ACTUAL FUCKING FINISH to the main event. Say what you will about the silliness and overbooking to the Paybavk main but Roman and AJ delivered along with there being a legit finish.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

They kinda turn Lethal full face with all of this too which is something needed for him to not stale.

They have a lot of fresh things to do now, just sucks this is the way the angle started.
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

They had no excuse not to have Lethal beat Cabana. Low blow/roll up with tights or ropes held, that's all they had to do.

And they pussied out.
ROHFan25

Post by ROHFan25 »

JTCole wrote:They had no excuse not to have Lethal beat Cabana. Low blow/roll up with tights or ropes held, that's all they had to do.

And they pussied out.

And that finish still ends with him deserving a rematch. Yep.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

It pains me a lot to be negative with this after all the bitching here this couple of days but i have to agree with that, no reason to not having a finish.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

that is another thing..lethal face now? with taeler? alone? truth is coming back soon? what about dijak?

another different scenario in roh right now and that is good.
ROHFan25

Post by ROHFan25 »

2 more things...I thought War Machine/Briscoes was clear MOTN. Good to see War Machine having a damn great title defense. Finally.

And...another major problem with Delirious. Crowd is quiet as fuck the entire night because every match is insert A vs insert B and have them wrestle for title, or #1 contendership. Or just insert A vs B. Can we get more than 1 story? Please. Give us feuds/rivalries throughout the card.
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

ROHFan25 wrote:Imagine spending $35-45 on a PPV and that is the ending.
I did - well, I spent €24 after conversion but same thing. I'm perfectly happy with it.

All the matches were good, I thought they gave the 4CS and Thunder Burger/Addiction sufficient amount of time, they didn't let either drag on and waste away the show. They made Roddy look strong despite not picking up the win too and gave Dalton a further push. Every match after that was *** to **** IMO. War Machine had few cheers when they came out, but by the end they had people cheering them over The Briscoes. Bobby Fish literally took a beating and for anyone who says that the New Japan talent get too many wins, Bobby Fish choked out Tomohiro Ishii. That's not a small victory, that's a big victory. Eight man was sort of disappointing but I think the crowd wanted Cabana/Lethal at that point.

And then, the main event itself, which a lot of people on here said a) wouldn't deliver or b) the crowd wouldn't be into because "a New Japan guy isn't in the main event", were a) wrong and b) wrong. Not that I'm shocked. Happens almost every PPV and in fact show nowadays.

I understand why the ending happened. If Colt loses, why is he there? Even if Taeler interfered to help Lethal, it would be as bad because then Colt would have to turn into a bitch. This way he gets a guaranteed title shot again because he never lost this one. It sets up tons of angles, Lethal vs. Colt, Cabana vs. Cole, Bullet Club vs. Team ROH, if Hero comes back you can do Bucks/Big in Japan, if Omega's VISA issues get sorted you can do Cabana/Omega or Lethal/Omega and all of these will be intertwined in the same storyline which means the shows now will have major continuity.

I can see why someone might not like the finish, but if you think big picture, it's a small thing for a bigger cause.
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

I didn't like the Evolve 61 non-finish main event either to be fair but the angle after made up for it more than this IMO.

Plus I only paid 15 instead of 45.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

War Machine vs Briscoes was the match War Machine needed to be taken seriously as champs, i´m happy for them. Now i guess they are going to lose the titles against the Bucks.

Crowd was shitty all night, i don´t think it was because of the lack of feuds, Ishii vs Fish & #1 Contenders for the TV Title had bad crowd.
The Dragon Saga

I can't say I'd personally pay much to see someone who left a company over two years ago now decided is the time to start venting, but that's just me, and I like EC3.
The Dragon Saga

My actual favorite part of the night didn't even involve wrestling.

It was Cabana's entrance and carytron. I loved how he appeared just as the big cartoon version of him cropped up.

https://twitter.com/Jocay19/status/729498014537162757
ROHFan25

Post by ROHFan25 »

But for $10-15 and you're getting 2 Crusierweight Classic qualifiers and Scurll/ZSJ...you can stomach it easier because it's cheaper and you got 2 ****+ matches.

That being said...I don't really care for the EVOLVE angle either. However, I'm interested to see where both go from here because Gabe has been outstanding lately at building guys and making almost everyone strong.

Also that entrance is awesome.
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

The Dragon Saga wrote:I can't say I'd personally pay much to see someone who left a company over two years ago now decided is the time to start venting, but that's just me, and I like EC3.
Well that and the company that actually made him a champ is so irrelevant now it's kinda comical to talk it up as important.

That was a pipe bomb Gargano could have dropped and shut him up real good but I understand not doing it.
WHG

Post by WHG »

I liked the show and hated the finish.

The price point thing is stupid, though. I've seen all of the live ROH TV PPVs and haven't had a single issue with a signal. To me that's what I'm paying the premium for. $15 is for wondering how many times Gabe is going to have to restart the stream. I'd rather pay the $ and not worry about the viewing experience...but that's just me.
ROHFan25

Post by ROHFan25 »

I understand your point but WWE Network is $10 and very rarely has streaming issues.
The Dragon Saga

ROHFan25 wrote:But for $10-15 and you're getting 2 Crusierweight Classic qualifiers and Scurll/ZSJ...you can stomach it easier because it's cheaper and you got 2 ****+ matches.

That being said...I don't really care for the EVOLVE angle either. However, I'm interested to see where both go from here because Gabe has been outstanding lately at building guys and making almost everyone strong.
It's more just EVOLVE with me. Not to get off topic, but I just don't get EVOLVE. I said this yesterday, I know what Gabe is trying to do. He's trying to do competitive wrestling like he did in early ROH, only difference is he lacks personalities in EVOLVE outside of like Galloway and EC3. Had it not been for the WWE CCQ's, nobody would be even mentioning EVOLVE outside of the designated EVOLVE sections, but even with WWE's seal of approval they still don't have "It" to create any actual excitement. Global Wars is still trending on Twitter in the States an hour and a half after it went off the air, that's creating excitement, not having a guy cut a worked shoot on how hard hes worked and how "the man" be holding him down!

Anyways, back to the topic, the Superkick Counter and the ensuing banter between 3 and Kevin Kelly is easily the best back and forth commentary ROH has had for months. I legitimately laughed when that thing came up on screen.