Official Global Wars/War Of The Worlds 2016 Super Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Burnside

Re: Official Global Wars/War Of The Worlds 2016 Super Thread

Post by Burnside »

Wilson wrote:
Burnside wrote:
Wrestlingfan345 wrote: No I'm saying if your going to complain then don't watch it's like you losers get enjoyment out of bashing stuff seriously get a real life and especially don't show up to the live events of any company if you're going to complain that is completely unfair to others who want to enjoy the show all I'm saying.
No I'm saying if you're going to complain then don't visit the board it's like you loser get enjoyment out of bashing stuff seriously get a real life and especially don't show up to the forum of any message board if you're going to complain that is completely unfair to others who want to enjoy the complaining all I'm saying.
I agree.

What he saying if your going to complain about meta then don’t visit the board it’s like you loser get enjoyment out of bashing stuff seriously get a non-pataphysical life and especially don’t show up to the recursive forum of any meta board if you’re going to complain that is completely unfair to others who want to enjoy involutions all I’m saying.
!!!
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

187_Joeism wrote:Making people buy tickets everytime New Japan guys show up in the US, i mean it´s something too obvious to not see it.
Most importantly, it's a short term fix for a much bigger and deeper issue. ROH is becoming way too reliant on New Japan to draw big houses and sell PPVs and it's already biting them in the ass.
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Thelone is correct. When Ric Flair and Harley Race were travelling world champions, there was a storyline attached to their appearance. With the NJPW guys, these random matches with little to no storyline are going to get old. Why can't we have a storyline with Elgin busting out with Tanahashi to do a promo, just tearing ROH and Delirious to shreads? Elgin can just shit all over ROH and say that now he's with NJPW, everyone associated with ROH can fuck themselves. It would sure as hell make these events a lot more interesting.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

These shows have nowhere close to the buzz of the past two years. Losing the four WWE bound talents shouldn't have left this big of a blow.
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

There are two options. One is to include NJPW in full blown stories and feuds. It's ideal but not practical for obvious geographical reasons and the fact that a lot of ROH fans don't watch NJPW so it's hard to pull off. I think that's what they were attempting with Ishii. They've also got the Honor Rising shows to help with that but is that enough?
The other option is to cut back on NJPW appearances to create more buzz around a particular show. The reason there is less buzz this year is because we see the same guys at Field of Honor, 14YA, Global Wars, Final Battle, and other random shows. I don't think that's a great idea though because the shows always draw well.
Obviously Global Wars is sold out so no issue with live sales, but I wonder how the ppv buy rate will compare to past ppvs? If there was no ppv this year would people have complained about it like in years past?
STITCHES

Post by STITCHES »

JigsawVs.Jason wrote:
STITCHES wrote:It's just going to take more than Colt Cabana randomly showing up for me to take a chance on being underwhelmed by seeing Briscoes teamed up with War Machine yet again. And by the way, that rivalry is old news despite ROH not even exploring it to the fullest. And it began like what? Exactly a year ago? Or Cole vs O'Reilly. Seen that several times before, in ROH and elsewhere. It's not that I don't like those wrestlers or ROH for that matter. There's just a lot of retreading going on right now with this company. I did see the Young Bucks and Motor City Machine Guns match. That was very good, but again. Seen that before.
You should start to distinguish between card and show. SCOH Night 1 was better than anything EVOLVE or PWG has done all year. I agree the card didn't look that enticing compared to the shows of EVOLVE at WM weekend, but the overall quality was much better than all three EVOLVE/WNW shows.
If you watching shows based on their cards rather than overall feedback on its quality than you're the one to blame for missing out on the best US show of the year, not ROH for putting a must-see segment on a live show.
No, dude. I don't have time to indiscriminately watch ROH simply because it might be good or because the die-hards say it was good. I'm not some teenager with an ass load of discretionary income and time to burn. If I see a card and think, "Eh, seen it before," I'm probably not going to watch it. That's what being a consumer is. It's my hard earned money, so I want my spending decision to be wise. Haven't been disappointed one time with PWG. And I'll watch those DVDs a few times over before sitting through a new ROH event.
The whole reason cards get announced is so fans can get excited for the event about to take place. It's called anticipation. Good example: Sami Callihan vs Trevor Lee at Lemmy. Already sounds awesome. Two interesting wrestlers I'm starting to explore, never seen them wrestle each other and PWG has never failed to entertain me. When that match appeared on the preview, I was stoked. Couldn't wait to see it. Same thing with Cage vs Dickinson. Or Mike Bailey vs Evil Uno at Bowie. At this point, I want to see combinations of talent that can show me something new. Evolve has been super interesting for that reason also. Meanwhile, I've seen O'Reilly and Cole go at it a few times already. In ROH. After 4 years, my favorite is still BITW 2012. Unless you're going to top that, I probably won't go out of my way.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

DXvsNWO1994 wrote:

HYPE AS FUCK.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

JigsawVs.Jason wrote:
187_Joeism wrote:
187_Joeism wrote:Some people don´t want to understand that New Japan is higher than ROH and is helping ROH more than ROH is helping them.

Making people buy tickets everytime New Japan guys show up in the US, i mean it´s something too obvious to not see it.
The more important thing is that guys sign contracts because ROH offers the possibility to make it to Japan, that's the bigger picture.
I think guys sign ROH contracts try to get to the WWE, not NJPW. Signing a contract with ROH is an affirmation that you're one step closer to Vince, not Gedo. With SBG locking guys up to contracts, their value may increase as opposed to indy guys with none. Don't you think The Young Bucks will use that to their advantage? Cole when his time is up?
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

supersonic wrote:These shows have nowhere close to the buzz of the past two years. Losing the four WWE bound talents shouldn't have left this big of a blow.
I think the lack of hype has more to do with the fact that out of four shows, we've only got 3/4th's of a card.
STITCHES

Post by STITCHES »

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:I think guys sign ROH contracts try to get to the WWE, not NJPW. Signing a contract with ROH is an affirmation that you're one step closer to Vince, not Gedo. With SBG locking guys up to contracts, their value may increase as opposed to indy guys with none. Don't you think The Young Bucks will use that to their advantage? Cole when his time is up?
You know, it's interesting how ROH ended up with Young Bucks and Omega while WWE managed to get Gallows, Gun, Styles and Balor. I heard a podcast recently where the Bucks said they'd rather not work with WWE, but that could probably change. WWE would be crazy not to pursue Cole, but who knows if they'd use him well enough. That's always my fear with any new interesting WWE signing. It's probably great for some people to end up there. Fuck you money and a much bigger profile in the business has to be enticing. But... WWE's programming is just so stupid. It's great to see KO and Neville but I'd rather not let Vince insult my intelligence as a wrestling fan, so I just stick to the highlights on YouTube anymore. Hopefully with all these new signings, something better will come of them. :?
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:Thelone is correct. When Ric Flair and Harley Race were travelling world champions, there was a storyline attached to their appearance. With the NJPW guys, these random matches with little to no storyline are going to get old. Why can't we have a storyline with Elgin busting out with Tanahashi to do a promo, just tearing ROH and Delirious to shreads? Elgin can just shit all over ROH and say that now he's with NJPW, everyone associated with ROH can fuck themselves. It would sure as hell make these events a lot more interesting.
I agree with the idea of more storylines with NJPW as a general principle, but this particular angle you suggest would backfire because Elgin would get cheered for saying that and ROH itself would be put in a jobber heel position (much like when Steen was the cool heel).
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

We are less than one month away from GLOBAL WARS and the WAR OF THE WORLDS TOUR! The collaborative relationship between Ring of Honor and New Japan Pro Wrestling continues, bringing you matches and experiences you can't find anywhere else! First up, on Sunday May 8th, GLOBAL WARS is coming to you LIVE on pay-per-view from Chicago Ridge. This massive event kicks off a busy week for the stars of ROH and NJPW, who are hitting the road to Dearborn, Toronto, and New York City!

GLOBAL WARS has already sold out, but you can still catch all of the action on PPV! Incredibly, COLT CABANA has returned to Ring of Honor and he takes on ROH World Champion JAY LETHAL in the GLOBAL WARS main event! But that's just one match in a full night of the best professional wrestling on the planet. Signed for GLOBAL WARS live on pay-per-view:

TETSUYA NAITO (IWGP HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION) vs KYLE O'REILLY

This is a MASSIVE rematch from last year's WAR OF THE WORLDS event in Philadelphia! Last May, Naito made his ROH debut and took on Kyle O'Reilly at the historic 2300 Arena. While ROH fans were already familiar with O'Reilly as one of the top stars in wrestling, for many this was the first opportunity to see Naito live and in person. His unique charisma and showmanship made an indelible impression and there was no doubt he would soon return to Ring of Honor.

So much can change in a year! With Los Ingobernables de Japón backing him up, Naito has risen through the ranks of NJPW and - incredibly - he is now the IWGP Heavyweight Champion! In a match rife with controversy, Naito defeated Okada at the recent INVASION ATTACK pay-per-view and now he holds the title! While this match at GLOBAL WARS has been signed as a non-title contest, the fact that Naito is now a champion raises the profile of this match even higher.

But Kyle O'Reilly is not unfamiliar with high profile, high pressure situations. He is a former multi-time ROH World Tag Team Champion who has been heavily entrenched in the World Championship picture for the past year. He's also fresh off a major victory at SUPERCARD OF HONOR, where he was able to defeat longtime rival and former best friend, Adam Cole, in a brutal no holds barred WAR!

This may be a rematch, but the stakes have gotten higher and Naito and O'Reilly just keep getting better! Don't miss this or any of the other action brought to you on May 8th featuring the best professional wrestlers on the planet. While GLOBAL WARS has sold out, you can still catch it LIVE on pay-per-view!
Roderick Strong, ACH, Dalton Castle, & ANX are also listed as appearing at the PPV.
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

Naito and O'Reilly faced each other last year ?
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Thelone wrote:Naito and O'Reilly faced each other last year ?
Yep. War Of The Worlds 2015: Night 2. I was there for that match. It was right before Naito went to CMLL and became a member of Los Ingobernables.
Embracejg

Post by Embracejg »

So that makes two big NJPW vs. ROH singles matches on this show, one of which is a title defense, along with two more title matches, Okada and Tanahashi tangling in tag action, and getting to see Liger wrestle a bit against Daniels and Kazarian.

In summary---quit yer bitchin'. Unless it's about Colt Cabana of all people getting to headline a show with this much talent on it.
ninetwentyfour

Post by ninetwentyfour »

Embracejg wrote:So that makes two big NJPW vs. ROH singles matches on this show, one of which is a title defense, along with two more title matches, Okada and Tanahashi tangling in tag action, and getting to see Liger wrestle a bit against Daniels and Kazarian.

In summary---quit yer bitchin'. Unless it's about Colt Cabana of all people getting to headline a show with this much talent on it.
People can bitch all they want.

Sick of the lecturing.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

The fact that Cheeseburger has a match on this show and Castle, Page, Strong, and Young do not is a joke. Why not replace Castle with Cheeseburger, and throw in Goto and someone else maybe Dijak, Alexander, or Ferrara and do a Six Man Mayhem.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

i hope roh dont waste castle,young,page and ach the way they did it with ciampa.
STITCHES

Post by STITCHES »

Agreed. They could have really done something with Ciampa's character. It was another case of being told but not actually shown how much of a psychopath the guy was. If you watched Tomasso match on mute, you'd just think he was another slightly erratic heel.
Last edited by STITCHES on Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.