Official Global Wars/War Of The Worlds 2016 Super Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
187_Joeism

Re: Official Global Wars/War Of The Worlds 2016 Super Thread

Post by 187_Joeism »

The Toru Yano example is worst you can do with Cheeseburger, he doesn´t need to have convincing offense to do his role
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

I think War Machine will retain because they never beat The Briscoes and stuff but the match is interesting because i can see them pull the trigger and have The Briscoes win the titles here if they are not convinced with War Machine as champs.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

biggest test for war machine in roh..briscoes as champs again could be awesome but i think war mahcine needs to win here.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

I don't know how the hell they're going to switch the TV title without Bobby Fish looking bad. Ishii is just too strong for that one to end clean. Guess they could switch the title in a three way, four way, or six man on another show in the week but that would be stupid considering Chicago Ridge is the PPV.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

I wouldn´t be against War Machine losing and turning heel, i think that would help them a lot given their style.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

Might as well just take the titles off War Machine. They're over enough but they just seem so out of place in the ROH tag division. A lot of their work has left a lot to be desired as well. I think these guys would do amazing on a year's long run in Japan. NJPW wants to look at Moose and Cheeseburger but War Machine is who needs a look. The heavyweight tag division is in shambles as we speak and I think War Machine would be a good addition. They remind me so much of those classic bruising gaijin tag teams that have always been prevalent in Japan. Could even begin a program with Tonga & Roa during the week that would lay the groundwork for them.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

war machine vs kes in noah was very good but roh dont hype enough that tour of wm in japan.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

Embracejg wrote:If Cheeseburger is over with anyone, it's mostly due to the name. "Haha, the little guy is named Cheeseburger," that sort of thing.

Chicago used to love Sugarfoot Alex Payne for much the same reason, and he had better in-ring skills.

Jobbers are a fact of life in wrestling. That doesn't mean they have to be so hard to take seriously AND spotlighted so heavily.
THIS! If his name wasn't "Cheeseburger" I would have no problem with him. The problem is that his name is "CHEESEBURGER" and thus he is a joke. He is a fine jobber... but jobbers have no place on an ROH PPV.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

monster mafia wrote:war machine vs kes in noah was very good but roh dont hype enough that tour of wm in japan.
I liked their work with KES. Shame KES is stuck in NOAH. Best heavyweight tag team on the Japanese scene yet they're stuck in NOAH while the NJPW division is in shambles.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Complaining about Cheeseburger comes off as a bit naïve. Ring of Honor is a television show; televised wrestling shows tend to provide schlocky ideas that don’t appeal to their more interested audience to reach some hypothetical audience just beyond the threshold of the wrestling fan. Cheeseburger and the Corino storyline were hideous hoists of their own petard, but in some ways they were inevitable. If it weren’t those two, it would just be Martini spinning around in his tuxedo underwear to provide the brevity or Beer City Bruiser taking folks to Pitsville or what have you.

Cheeseburger is just a lower card wrestler that gets his spots in to get himself a little over without taking shine away from the other wrestlers. All things considered, it could be worse than Cheeseburger.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

I think Bobby Fish has to win the World TV Title at Global Wars. He's been in the World TV Title Match on the last three ROH PPV's and he's lost all three times (though he wasn't pinned in the Triple Threat Match in Las Vegas). A 4th loss here would just makes Bobby Fish look like a loser who can't get the job done in singles competition (which is ironic given he initially had a long streak of not being pinned at all).

Also, just confirming what we already knew...

DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Another thing we already knew...

Big Red Machine

Wilson wrote:Complaining about Cheeseburger comes off as a bit naïve. Ring of Honor is a television show; televised wrestling shows tend to provide schlocky ideas that don’t appeal to their more interested audience to reach some hypothetical audience just beyond the threshold of the wrestling fan. Cheeseburger and the Corino storyline were hideous hoists of their own petard, but in some ways they were inevitable. If it weren’t those two, it would just be Martini spinning around in his tuxedo underwear to provide the brevity or Beer City Bruiser taking folks to Pitsville or what have you.

Cheeseburger is just a lower card wrestler that gets his spots in to get himself a little over without taking shine away from the other wrestlers. All things considered, it could be worse than Cheeseburger.
The Corino-Whitmer angle and Cheeseburger are in no way comparable. The Corino-Whitmer angle was designed as a wrestling feud that got derailed because of injuries. Cheeseburger is a comedy dork who is being used as a top promotional name in RING OF HONOR- the place that is supposed to be around serious wrestler. Not dudes named "Cheeseburger."
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

Wilson wrote:Complaining about Cheeseburger comes off as a bit naïve. Ring of Honor is a television show; televised wrestling shows tend to provide schlocky ideas that don’t appeal to their more interested audience to reach some hypothetical audience just beyond the threshold of the wrestling fan. Cheeseburger and the Corino storyline were hideous hoists of their own petard, but in some ways they were inevitable. If it weren’t those two, it would just be Martini spinning around in his tuxedo underwear to provide the brevity or Beer City Bruiser taking folks to Pitsville or what have you.

I don't think anyone would care if Cheeseburger was just a regular jobber who got wrecked by heels once in a while. The issue is that they're wasting so much time for a goofball with no upside whatsoever while countless other wrestlers are stuck in limbo doing nothing of note and not evolving in any way, shape or form.
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
AndyDiaz

Post by AndyDiaz »

DXvsNWO1994 wrote:I think Bobby Fish has to win the World TV Title at Global Wars. He's been in the World TV Title Match on the last three ROH PPV's and he's lost all three times (though he wasn't pinned in the Triple Threat Match in Las Vegas). A 4th loss here would just makes Bobby Fish look like a loser who can't get the job done in singles competition (which is ironic given he initially had a long streak of not being pinned at all).
Yea, I say nows the time for Fish. He could potentially do tons a great and very entertaining things with the T.V. title. Fish Tanks, fresh matchups, and a potential feud with Kyle..
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Thelone wrote: I don't think anyone would care if Cheeseburger was just a regular jobber who got wrecked by heels once in a while. The issue is that they're wasting so much time for a goofball with no upside whatsoever while countless other wrestlers are stuck in limbo doing nothing of note and not evolving in any way, shape or form.
I agree that he has no real upside, but I do think that his presence in the promotion is being hyperbolized. He’s not on TV very often and doesn’t get put over by the product itself (other than by way of the vapid commentary team). I would say he mostly is just some jobber that doesn’t put up a real fight.

These recent tag matches do raise concern that there will be a real Cheeseburger push (with comebacks, offense, and wins), but that hasn’t happened yet. For now he’s on an enhancement babyface tag team so that his partner doesn’t have to take the loss (which we know Delirious would not rather do himself). I think I even prefer to have these lower card tag matches than the pointless 6-mans the company churns out.
Big Red Machine wrote: The Corino-Whitmer angle and Cheeseburger are in no way comparable. The Corino-Whitmer angle was designed as a wrestling feud that got derailed because of injuries. Cheeseburger is a comedy dork who is being used as a top promotional name in RING OF HONOR- the place that is supposed to be around serious wrestler. Not dudes named "Cheeseburger."
I don’t know, they at least feel similar to me. My brain goes to the same place during Corino/Whitmer segments as it does during lengthy Cheeseburger moments: silent desperation.

Hey, I know what you mean, but Ring of Honor is not really RING OF HONOR. Ring of Honor is a television show and we have to realistic about how that limitations of the promotion.
jordidebaas

Post by jordidebaas »

Also, imagine you live in Chicago, and this is your only chance to ever see Liger wrestle live, and he gets put in a tag team match with Cheeseburger as his partner...
I was in the front line when we battled page 15
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

jordidebaas wrote:Also, imagine you live in Chicago, and this is your only chance to ever see Liger wrestle live, and he gets put in a tag team match with Cheeseburger as his partner...
Liger is so limited nowadays I don't think it's a big deal him teaming with Cheeseburger.
Big Red Machine

Wilson wrote:
Thelone wrote: I don't think anyone would care if Cheeseburger was just a regular jobber who got wrecked by heels once in a while. The issue is that they're wasting so much time for a goofball with no upside whatsoever while countless other wrestlers are stuck in limbo doing nothing of note and not evolving in any way, shape or form.
I agree that he has no real upside, but I do think that his presence in the promotion is being hyperbolized. He’s not on TV very often and doesn’t get put over by the product itself (other than by way of the vapid commentary team). I would say he mostly is just some jobber that doesn’t put up a real fight.
He absolutely does get put other by the product itself. First of all, whether we like them or not, the announcers are a big part of the product. Secondly, they have a MINUTE-LONG commercial pushing HIS t-shirt. No one else in the promotion gets a minute-long commercial pushing their merch. Hell... the only guys who I remember seeing have a commercial to push exclusively their own merch are Corino, Adam Cole, and the Young Bucks, and those are half a minute at most. ACH gets fifteen seconds to plug his own shirt plus a bunch of dumb sh*t no one will ever buy like ROH-logo water bottles, backpacks, a freakin' coloring book. Cheeseburger gets an entire minute of himself and everyone else pushing his stupid t-shirt. That right there is the company putting him over.
How about the plug for the Philly VOD that they aired on TV. They promoted that show as featuring CHEESEBURGER (among others), but did not mention the presences of War Machine or the Briscoes (or even Moose). THAT is the company putting him over as something people want to see.

Big Red Machine wrote: The Corino-Whitmer angle and Cheeseburger are in no way comparable. The Corino-Whitmer angle was designed as a wrestling feud that got derailed because of injuries. Cheeseburger is a comedy dork who is being used as a top promotional name in RING OF HONOR- the place that is supposed to be around serious wrestler. Not dudes named "Cheeseburger."
I don’t know, they at least feel similar to me. My brain goes to the same place during Corino/Whitmer segments as it does during lengthy Cheeseburger moments: silent desperation.

Hey, I know what you mean, but Ring of Honor is not really RING OF HONOR. Ring of Honor is a television show and we have to realistic about how that limitations of the promotion.[/quote]

The Corino-Whitmer feud and Cheeseburger are in no way similar. You might dislike both, but the point is that one is building to a match that has been building up for a while that (at least at one point) people really wanted to see (and some of us still do), while the other is a comedy jobber with a stupid name who will never sell any tickets or every get anyone excited for a match.

As for Ring of Honor not being RING OF HONOR anymore, I completely disagree with you that being on TV means that ROH needs to change its identity. If people wanted to see goofy comedy dorks, they can get more than enough of that from the Social Ass-hats in WWE. There is no reason that you can't book the "old" ROH style on a one-hour TV show.