Official Global Wars/War Of The Worlds 2016 Super Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Mr. Mojo Risin

Re: Official Global Wars/War Of The Worlds 2016 Super Thread

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

WHG wrote:As someone who's attended a ton of ROH live events the past 3 years, I can tell you that Cheeseburger is over...but it's a very definitively a tongue-in-cheek "it's fun to cheer for this ridiculously small and awkward guy" over, not some serious underdog thing.

Delirious has actually handled him very well so far in terms of using him properly and not crossing the line (where he starts beating legit roster guys, etc...). We're getting dangerously close to the line, though. His offense in the 10-man Xmas match was the first time I really started to cringe watching him.
I can live with this explanation because Cheeseburger is not a serious underdog. When Danielson challenged The Authority that was the ultimate underdog story. And yes, his offense in the 10 man tag was god awful. Guys were selling like they had been shot which made it more absurd. Cheeseburger epitomizes every negative stereotype of wrestling.
ZTStyles

Post by ZTStyles »

Apparently Chicago has sold out.

ROH hasn't announced anything official, but I just bought my ticket on Sunday without issue. The friends that I was planning to go with just tried to buy theirs, and it is saying that there are none available.

Yay for ROH getting a sellout. Boo that my friends might not be able to go now.
Check out the An Honorable Mention podcast... I voice stuff on it!
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

*NEVER* pussyfoot around with tickets to see NJPW talent. Period.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

To be clear, this will be taped prior to the Global Wars PPV, and will be an internet exclusive:

Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

I'm digging Crazy Mary Dobson, so this match looks good to me.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

DXvsNWO1994 wrote:Image
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

they hype the woh too much in social media,but when is gonna drop the division in a really serious way? not only dark matches...
FanSinceHDNet

Post by FanSinceHDNet »

monster mafia wrote:they hype the woh too much in social media,but when is gonna drop the division in a really serious way? not only dark matches...
It feels like they're keeping things entirely separate intentionally to create brand equity. They've got their own graphics, announcers, etc.

They also taped whatever they taped in Nashville, so when that drops, they'll have that, too.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

FanSinceHDNet wrote:
monster mafia wrote:they hype the woh too much in social media,but when is gonna drop the division in a really serious way? not only dark matches...
It feels like they're keeping things entirely separate intentionally to create brand equity. They've got their own graphics, announcers, etc.

They also taped whatever they taped in Nashville, so when that drops, they'll have that, too.
Women of Honor matches also gets the most views in their youtube channel out of most of the videos posted.

I guess once they decided to introduce the Women of Honor title they will feature them more on TV.
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

The Dragon Saga wrote:He's the most convincing underdog any major wrestling promotion has had in years because, guess what, he's an actual underdog!
BWAHAHAHA

There's a reason why NO ONE sold for him during the rumble match at WK10 : he just isn't a believable fighter and Delirious clearly doesn't get it yet after THREE YEARS.
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

Thelone wrote:
The Dragon Saga wrote:He's the most convincing underdog any major wrestling promotion has had in years because, guess what, he's an actual underdog!
BWAHAHAHA

There's a reason why NO ONE sold for him during the rumble match at WK10 : he just isn't a believable fighter and Delirious clearly doesn't get it yet after THREE YEARS.
Which makes him a what? An underdog. An actual underdog.

Daniel Bryan wasn't an actual underdog past the first year of his time in WWE. Everyone knew how good he was and it was obvious the fans were getting behind him. Cheeseburger, due to his size, stature, weight and lack of strength to do most wrestling moves is an actual underdog because he personifies to a lot of fans what they are, except he is the one actually in the wrestling ring wrestling alongside the likes of Jushin Liger, making appearances in the Tokyo Dome and challenging for the ROH World title. That's an underdog. An over one at that.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

We are less than one month away from GLOBAL WARS and the WAR OF THE WORLDS TOUR! The collaborative relationship between Ring of Honor and New Japan Pro Wrestling continues, bringing you matches and experiences you can't find anywhere else! First up, on Sunday May 8th, GLOBAL WARS is coming to you LIVE on pay-per-view from Chicago Ridge. This massive event kicks off a busy week for the stars of ROH and NJPW, who are hitting the road to Dearborn, Toronto, and New York City!

ROH Matchmaker Nigel McGuinness has signed another championship match: the ROH World Television Championship will be on the line in Chicago Ridge, LIVE on pay-per-view when BOBBY FISH takes on ROH World Television Champion “STONE PIT BULL” TOMOHIRO ISHII at GLOBAL WARS!

The ROH World Television Championship has become an obsession for Fish after two narrow misses! At All Star Extravaganza VII, Fish had the Fish Hook locked in before then-champion Jay Lethal rolled him up and used the tights to secure a victory. And then, Fish was able to make then-champion Roderick Strong TAP OUT at Final Battle but the tapping was out of the view of the official, Fish released the hold, and Strong found a way to leave Philly with the Television Championship around his waist!

Fish has cemented his status as number one contender, going undefeated in singles competition since his loss at Final Battle, racking up major wins against competition like “Almighty” Christopher Daniels while scoring a huge, decisive 2-out-of-3 falls win at Supercard of Honor Night 2 against Strong! Fish will be facing the man that dethroned Strong for the championship, “STONE PIT BULL” TOMOHIRO ISHII!

Ishii answered the “Roddy vs. the World” Challenge at Honor Rising and out-muscled Strong with strikes and blows to become the first New Japan star to capture the ROH World Television Championship, doing so on Japanese soil! Ishii has been maintaining a schedule of defenses in Japan taunting ROH stars with claims that he is a real champion that can defeat anyone ROH officials place in front of him!

The two first crossed paths earlier this year at New Year’s Dash when Ishii got the better of Fish in a losing effort during an 8-man tag. The two saw each other again in Ishii’s successful three-way defense against Strong and Fish at 14th Anniversary with Ishii pinning Strong but GLOBAL WARS marks their first one-on-one encounter!

The “Stone Pit Bull” returns to the United States to face the number one contender Fish in Chicago Ridge with more than just the ROH World Television Championship on the line. For Fish, GLOBAL WARS may be the culmination of a years-long journey of capturing singles gold in ROH. For Ishii, Fish represents just another Gaijin that stands in his way on his on question to demonstrate New Japan supremacy. There are two ways to see this championship bout: be there LIVE or join us LIVE on pay-per-view! Under 100 tickets remain so get yours today!

ROHWRESTLING.com is going to be bringing you all the latest updates and matches signed for this incredible week of international action. And in addition to NJPW athletes, all your favorite ROH stars will be there as well! Championships will be on the line and there's no doubt we'll be seeing a lot of "dream matches" in the month of May!
KL_

Post by KL_ »

New World Television Champion at Global Wars !
jordidebaas

Post by jordidebaas »

The Dragon Saga wrote:
Thelone wrote:
BWAHAHAHA

Which makes him a what? An underdog. An actual underdog.

Daniel Bryan wasn't an actual underdog past the first year of his time in WWE. Everyone knew how good he was and it was obvious the fans were getting behind him. Cheeseburger, due to his size, stature, weight and lack of strength to do most wrestling moves is an actual underdog because he personifies to a lot of fans what they are, except he is the one actually in the wrestling ring wrestling alongside the likes of Jushin Liger, making appearances in the Tokyo Dome and challenging for the ROH World title. That's an underdog. An over one at that.
Which would be perfectly fine if he wasn't challenging for the ROH title, appearing on TV, and now even PPV. Imagine you're a new fan, you're watching ROH for the first time, and after paying 45$ for your PPV, this guy wrestling a competitive match is the first thing you see. Do you think you'd still be able to take this company seriously?
I was in the front line when we battled page 15
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

Every company uses/need jobbers, i don´t see the problem in having Cheeseburger in that role, he is over with the crowd and he is not beating guys left and right. I don´t know who you want doing that role.
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

The Dragon Saga wrote:Which makes him a what? An underdog. An actual underdog.

I could buy a guy like Will Ferrara as a believable underdog, Cheeseburger is just some scrawny dude who should be destroyed by everyone on the roster and no one should ever sell for him ever. I'll say it again, he should become the ROH version of Toru Yano who cheats all the time because he has no chance to beat anyone otherwise.
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

^THIS!^
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

Cheeseburger is more over that Will Ferrara will ever be (And i think Ferrara is decent), if you have to pick one to that role and don´t pick Cheeseburger you are out of your mind. Cheeseburger is perfect as an underdog.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Actually no Cheeseburger is not. Not one single move in his offense is convincing. He is the ROH mascot, not the fucking underdog. I will not concede to anything other than the Toru Yano example that Thelone conceived.
Embracejg

Post by Embracejg »

If Cheeseburger is over with anyone, it's mostly due to the name. "Haha, the little guy is named Cheeseburger," that sort of thing.

Chicago used to love Sugarfoot Alex Payne for much the same reason, and he had better in-ring skills.

Jobbers are a fact of life in wrestling. That doesn't mean they have to be so hard to take seriously AND spotlighted so heavily.

On the other hand, we're getting Ishii vs. Bobby Fish and I'm super psyched for that.