Official Global Wars/War Of The Worlds 2016 Super Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Wilson

Re: Official Global Wars/War Of The Worlds 2016 Super Thread

Post by Wilson »

Big Red Machine wrote:Just last year they brought in a whole slew of guys for one or two shows: Josh Alexander, Ariya Daivari, Danny Duggan (and probably one or two others I'm forgetting). Also, they seem to have no problem using guys like Mike Posey as "regional" guys, so why not use Bailey as a "regional" guy as well? He's a hell of a lot more talented than Posey (or Daivari, or Duggan).
I don’t see how involving Mike Bailey in a Mike Posey or Ariya Daivari or Danny Duggan-like role on the card helps anybody. (I mean, no matter whichever regional talent comes in, they won’t be showcased given the circumstances. Does that really appeal to you). Josh Alexander is definitely a bigger name than the names I just compared, but he already made appearances within the company before last year (IIRC). If I were Mike Bailey I would also like to have my first appearance within ROH not be an understated lower card match.

And while I think that Lethal and Cabana will main event—because that match can have televised angles—there will undoubtedly be a valid co-main event or two. It won’t be a barnburner, but Lethal and Cabana can work a good main event.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

I'm just happy that they explained the whole storyline issue from 2009 where Cabana could no longer challenge for the title in Chicago.

Also, just for clarification...
@ShakeThemRopes 3h3 hours ago
@Tama_Tonga What is your brother’s name in NJPW? Tanga Loa or Tanga Roa? Thanks.

@Tama_Tonga
@ShakeThemRopes Tanga Loa
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

Wilson wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:Just last year they brought in a whole slew of guys for one or two shows: Josh Alexander, Ariya Daivari, Danny Duggan (and probably one or two others I'm forgetting). Also, they seem to have no problem using guys like Mike Posey as "regional" guys, so why not use Bailey as a "regional" guy as well? He's a hell of a lot more talented than Posey (or Daivari, or Duggan).
I don’t see how involving Mike Bailey in a Mike Posey or Ariya Daivari or Danny Duggan-like role on the card helps anybody. (I mean, no matter whichever regional talent comes in, they won’t be showcased given the circumstances. Does that really appeal to you). Josh Alexander is definitely a bigger name than the names I just compared, but he already made appearances within the company before last year (IIRC). If I were Mike Bailey I would also like to have my first appearance within ROH not be an understated lower card match.
Because he can have a great match with someone, thus making the card better?
Just use him like they would use someone like Ishimori the one or two times he came over in 2013. Give him some time and a good opponent and let him put on a great match. Since when is that a bad thing?
Also, I could be wrong, but I think that this five-year ban on entering the US has probably severely limited Bailey's options, so I doubt he'll pass up an ROH payday (especially one which includes the possibility of impressing someone from New Japan who could put in a good word for him) just because he won't be in a heavily-hyped match.
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

Cabana vs Lethal is a great choice for the main event for a few reasons.
-One, I'm glad they're putting over the ROH title as the most important thing on the card; more important than dream matches and more important than another company's wrestlers and titles.
-Cabana vs Lethal has had better booking than any of Lethal's title matches for a while.
-There will probably be a lot of casual ROH fans in attendance and buying the PPV and Colt Cabana has a known brand and name recognition.
-If you think the atmosphere for Cabana's ROH Chicago return and challenging for the title won't be electric in his hometown, then I really don't know what to tell you. I think it will have a big match feel, and putting it anywhere other than the main would take away from that and not allow it to live up to its full potential.
Brada

Post by Brada »

Completely agree. The atmosphere for Cabana in Chicago Ridge will be electric. Lots of nostalgia there, and that hits the core with quite a number of ROH fans that have been around from the beginning or close to the beginning. I won't call for the trigger to be pulled on a title change, but I would bet that there will be a few very close false finishes. Lizard man should book this very similar to the way Flair would be booked in the 80s in the matches against tag team wrestlers like the RW Hawk or Ricky Morton types.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

We are less than one month away from GLOBAL WARS and the WAR OF THE WORLDS TOUR! The collaborative relationship between Ring of Honor and New Japan Pro Wrestling continues, bringing you matches and experiences you can't find anywhere else! First up, on Sunday May 8th, GLOBAL WARS is coming to you LIVE on pay-per-view from Chicago Ridge. This massive event kicks off a busy week for the stars of ROH and NJPW, who are hitting the road to Dearborn, Toronto, and New York City!

ROH Matchmaker Nigel McGuiness has JUST signed a tag team bout for GLOBAL WARS featuring former ROH World Tag Team Champions versus a cross-continental dream team featuring a mentor and a mentee!

THE ADDICTION (“Almighty” Christopher Daniels & “Heavy Metal Rebel” Frankie Kazarian) vs. CHEESEBURGER & JUSHIN “THUNDER” LIGER

Since losing the ROH World Tag Team Championships at All-Star Extravaganza VII, The Addiction have been hell bent on recapturing the gold. The duo of Daniels and Kazarian spoke for months of a conspiracy and their concerns were vindicated when the man that helped win them the championships in San Antonio, Chris Sabin, revealed himself to be aligned with the man who cost them the gold in the same building months later, Alex Shelley!

The Machine Guns have reunited and the vitriol between the two teams has altered the Addiction’s quest to recapture championship gold. However, the Addiction have been able to turn their anger and hatred for the Guns into big victories, including one a triple-threat match in Philadelphia against the Guns and the Young Bucks!

The Addiction were seemingly climbing their way back up the tag team championship ladder before ending up on the losing end of a four-corners, number one contender’s tag team bout at Supercard of Honor X Night 2. Anxious to prove they deserve a title shot in the deepest tag team division in wrestling, the Addiction issued an open challenge for GLOBAL WARS, LIVE on pay-per-view!

They could never have guessed who would sign the open contract.

CHEESEBURGER has been a star on the rise since making his Japanese debut at Wrestle Kingdom 10 at the Tokyo Dome. The turning point in his career? Learning the Shotei Palm strike from his good friend and mentor, the legendary JUSHIN “THUNDER” LIGER! Perhaps the greatest junior heavyweight star of all-time WILL BE IN CHICAGO RIDGE to team with the young man he mentors, CHEESEBURGER, for the very first time in the United States!

The Addiction must be careful – on paper, the young ‘Burger and the legendary Liger look like a stepping stone to bigger and better things. But as both have demonstrated, the Shotei Palm Strike can end matches in an instant!

ROHWRESTLING.com is going to be bringing you all the latest updates and matches signed for this incredible week of international action. And in addition to NJPW athletes, all your favorite ROH stars will be there as well! Championships will be on the line and there's no doubt we'll be seeing a lot of "dream matches" in the month of May!
jordidebaas

Post by jordidebaas »

They've taken this Cheeseburger thing too far now
I was in the front line when we battled page 15
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

jordidebaas wrote:They've taken this Cheeseburger thing too far now
Yeah. The idea of Cheeseburger on an ROH PPV is quite sickening. Especially when they could have done this match at any other show during the week and could have given us Liger vs. Daniels on this show. What a waste.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

DXvsNWO1994 wrote:Image
We are less than one month away from GLOBAL WARS and the WAR OF THE WORLDS TOUR! The collaborative relationship between Ring of Honor and New Japan Pro Wrestling continues, bringing you matches and experiences you can't find anywhere else! First up, on Sunday May 8th, GLOBAL WARS is coming to you LIVE on pay-per-view from Chicago Ridge. This massive event kicks off a busy week for the stars of ROH and NJPW, who are hitting the road to Dearborn, Toronto, and New York City!

ROH Matchmaker Nigel McGuiness has JUST signed a tag team bout for GLOBAL WARS featuring former ROH World Tag Team Champions versus a cross-continental dream team featuring a mentor and a mentee!

THE ADDICTION (“Almighty” Christopher Daniels & “Heavy Metal Rebel” Frankie Kazarian) vs. CHEESEBURGER & JUSHIN “THUNDER” LIGER

Since losing the ROH World Tag Team Championships at All-Star Extravaganza VII, The Addiction have been hell bent on recapturing the gold. The duo of Daniels and Kazarian spoke for months of a conspiracy and their concerns were vindicated when the man that helped win them the championships in San Antonio, Chris Sabin, revealed himself to be aligned with the man who cost them the gold in the same building months later, Alex Shelley!

The Machine Guns have reunited and the vitriol between the two teams has altered the Addiction’s quest to recapture championship gold. However, the Addiction have been able to turn their anger and hatred for the Guns into big victories, including one a triple-threat match in Philadelphia against the Guns and the Young Bucks!

The Addiction were seemingly climbing their way back up the tag team championship ladder before ending up on the losing end of a four-corners, number one contender’s tag team bout at Supercard of Honor X Night 2. Anxious to prove they deserve a title shot in the deepest tag team division in wrestling, the Addiction issued an open challenge for GLOBAL WARS, LIVE on pay-per-view!

They could never have guessed who would sign the open contract.

CHEESEBURGER has been a star on the rise since making his Japanese debut at Wrestle Kingdom 10 at the Tokyo Dome. The turning point in his career? Learning the Shotei Palm strike from his good friend and mentor, the legendary JUSHIN “THUNDER” LIGER! Perhaps the greatest junior heavyweight star of all-time WILL BE IN CHICAGO RIDGE to team with the young man he mentors, CHEESEBURGER, for the very first time in the United States!

The Addiction must be careful – on paper, the young ‘Burger and the legendary Liger look like a stepping stone to bigger and better things. But as both have demonstrated, the Shotei Palm Strike can end matches in an instant!

ROHWRESTLING.com is going to be bringing you all the latest updates and matches signed for this incredible week of international action. And in addition to NJPW athletes, all your favorite ROH stars will be there as well! Championships will be on the line and there's no doubt we'll be seeing a lot of "dream matches" in the month of May!
I hated the Delirious/Cheeseburger vs. The Young Bucks announcement. I hate this even more.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

burger rule the world :lol:
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

Trying to get Cheeseburger over in the states to fans that just do not and will not buy into him. Should just trade him permantly to New Japan since for some head scratching reason he's actually over there.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

187_Joeism wrote:
Meh. Completely unnecessary repost, Joeism.
TowerOfDoom

Post by TowerOfDoom »

dhads7161 wrote:Trying to get Cheeseburger over in the states to fans that just do not and will not buy into him. Should just trade him permantly to New Japan since for some head scratching reason he's actually over there.
But he's already over in the states..
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Adem wrote:
dhads7161 wrote:Trying to get Cheeseburger over in the states to fans that just do not and will not buy into him. Should just trade him permantly to New Japan since for some head scratching reason he's actually over there.
But he's already over in the states..
That's a misconception. He's over with a handful of fans, Jericho, Corino, Kelly, and our own monster mafia.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

He is over in every city they visit, i know you guys don´t like him but you can deny that.

I´m happy for the guy, he is making his PPV debut tagging with his idol after going to his first Japan tour at Wrestlekingdom no less, if you told me that when Charlie Haas attacked him i would laugh at your face.
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

If you don't think Cheeseburger is over you're nuts, deaf and blind. He's the most convincing underdog any major wrestling promotion has had in years because, guess what, he's an actual underdog! He gets loud pops wherever they go.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Cheeseburger is not a more convincing underdog than Danielson.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

Cheeseburger is history's greatest monster.
WHG

Post by WHG »

As someone who's attended a ton of ROH live events the past 3 years, I can tell you that Cheeseburger is over...but it's a very definitively a tongue-in-cheek "it's fun to cheer for this ridiculously small and awkward guy" over, not some serious underdog thing.

Delirious has actually handled him very well so far in terms of using him properly and not crossing the line (where he starts beating legit roster guys, etc...). We're getting dangerously close to the line, though. His offense in the 10-man Xmas match was the first time I really started to cringe watching him.