Official Global Wars/War Of The Worlds 2016 Super Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Big Red Machine

Re: Official Global Wars/War Of The Worlds 2016 Super Thread

Post by Big Red Machine »

dhads7161 wrote:How do so many wrestlers run into visa issues?
Because getting one can be a hassle so they think they can get away without one.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

dhads7161 wrote:How do so many wrestlers run into visa issues?
It's not just wrestlers. I run a small theater in NYC; there are constant visa problems with using European and Asian talent. It's ridiculous. They make it way too hard for people.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:If you really want to see how to elevate a mid-card guy (Naito), to the top of the card, this is the perfect example. Then look at how Delirious has done a poor job of doing something similar with Kyle O'Reilly and see the difference.
To be fair Naito got over himself, New Japan tried to push him and failed with the Stardust character, then Naito went to Mexico, pick up Los Ingobernables gimmick and return to New Japan with that and made it work.
Blackshirt30

Post by Blackshirt30 »

Naito did get himself over and I don't see how the heel turn was confusing if you are following NJPW. Naito used the fact that his IWGP Title match with Okada at Wrestle Kingdom 2 years ago was voted by fans to be bumped from main event slot. He did promos on how Okada & Tanahashi were corporate suck-ups and Bushi Road (the company thay owns NJPW) does whatever Tanahashi wants. Ingobernables translates ungovernable which he got from Mexico and fits with how he's fighting against corporate NJPW
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

Northwoods_Nightmare wrote:
The holdup on the complete card is they are still hoping that Katsuyori Shibata and Kenny Omega will get their visas in time for the show, but the odds are against that happening. Omega will be working for ROH when they run in May in Toronto.
Why wouldn't Omega be able to work in May? He did the Vegas shows. Has there been a know issue since then?
He rolled the dice and worked illegally in Vegas and got away with it but isn't willing to risk it again after what happened to Speedball Mike Bailey.
Big Red Machine

Burnside wrote:
Northwoods_Nightmare wrote:
The holdup on the complete card is they are still hoping that Katsuyori Shibata and Kenny Omega will get their visas in time for the show, but the odds are against that happening. Omega will be working for ROH when they run in May in Toronto.
Why wouldn't Omega be able to work in May? He did the Vegas shows. Has there been a know issue since then?
He rolled the dice and worked illegally in Vegas and got away with it but isn't willing to risk it again after what happened to Speedball Mike Bailey.
Speaking of Bailey, is there any reason ROH isn't bringing him in for the Toronto show?
Ladrao12

Post by Ladrao12 »

187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

I love having Tama Tonga in ROH but boy Tanga Roda/Micah/Camacho does nothing for me...
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Big Red Machine wrote:Speaking of Bailey, is there any reason ROH isn't bringing him in for the Toronto show?
Because he’s not a wrestler that draws well enough to justify a one-off match. I like Mike Bailey, but he’s just not Liger or Lance Storm or Austin Aries or Samoa Joe. Those are usually the type of guys ROH allows for one-offs. And I’d probably be more disappointed if they brought him in for an unpromoted multi-man match.

However, if we were living in an alternate existence where Roddy vs. The World were ongoing, I’d also be asking, “hey, matchmaking, where’s my Mike Bailey?”
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Ladrao12 wrote:Image
Tama Tonga? Yes! :)

Tanga Roa? No.... :(
AssShooter

Post by AssShooter »

Exactly like Karl Anderson, Tama Tonga is always stuck with an awful partner...
ImageImage
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

AssShooter wrote:Exactly like Karl Anderson, Tama Tonga is always stuck with an awful partner...
Giant Bernard was good IMO
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

Big Red Machine wrote:
Speaking of Bailey, is there any reason ROH isn't bringing him in for the Toronto show?
Why would they need to? To bring in the hundreds of fans who won't see an ROH show with Okada, Tanahashi, Naito, Omega, Bucks, Kushida on it unless Mike Bailey is also there?
Ladrao12

Post by Ladrao12 »

It's official.
AssShooter

Post by AssShooter »

The article is interesting since they talk about the fact that Cabana isn't supposed to be able to compete for the ROH World Championship in Chicago.
We are less than one month away from GLOBAL WARS and the WAR OF THE WORLDS TOUR! The collaborative relationship between Ring of Honor and New Japan Pro Wrestling continues, bringing you matches and experiences you can't find anywhere else! First up, on Sunday May 8th, GLOBAL WARS is coming to you LIVE on pay-per-view from Chicago Ridge. This massive event kicks off a busy week for the stars of ROH and NJPW, who are hitting the road to Dearborn, Toronto, and New York City!

A challenge was laid last month at Supercard of Honor X in Dallas. ROH World Champion Jay Lethal was taken to the limit Night One against the 2016 Top Prospect Lio Rush, with Rush coming within an eyelash of winning the ROH World Champion in his first attempt! Following the bout, ROH legend COLT CABANA made his surprise return after a five year absence, confronting “The Greatest First Generation Wrestler” after Lethal claimed he had run out of challengers for his ROH World Championship!

On Night Two, Lethal, flanked once again by the “Poison Princess” Taeler Hendrix dismissively defeated Cheeseburger, a handpicked challenger by Lethal, who claimed ‘Burger was more deserving of a title match than Cabana. Cabana once again appeared, this time to challenge Lethal right then and right there! Cabana used the element of surprise to defeat Lethal with a roll-up!

Because of Cabana’s victory in Dallas, ROH Matchmaker Nigel McGuinness has announced that the main event of GLOBAL WARS live from Chicago Ridge, IL on PPV will be hometown hero, Chicago native COLT CABANA versus ROH WORLD CHAMPION JAY LETHAL for the ROH WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP!

On a night that the biggest stars in the world from New Japan and Ring of Honor will compete, Cabana returns to a ROH ring for the first time in five years and will look to win the only championship that has ever mattered to him, one that has eluded him throughout his career.

Cabana has challenged for the championship before, including a shot in Chicago in 2009 which included a stipulation where he could never challenge for the ROH World Championship in his hometown again. As part of the negotiations with Cabana to return to ROH for a series of dates Colt wanted to be able to compete for the ROH World Championship in Chicago, which Nigel has granted him and the stipulation has been overturned. Seven years later, Cabana looks to cash in his millions of miles of world travel and experience against a man that has held a ROH World singles championship for two consecutive years.

Will Cabana fulfill a lifelong goal in Chicago Ridge in front of his home town crowd? Or will Lethal, a man who has put the world in ROH World Championship with defenses on three continents and a two-year run with one or both of the ROH World singles championships kill Cabana’s dreams with a Lethal Injection?
ImageImage
Embracejg

Post by Embracejg »

Colt Cabana shouldn't be headlining a PPV with NJPW stars. It's insulting to think we just want a Chicago guy in the main event when there's all this great talent coming in. No way can their match can live up to the rest of the card.

The right thing to do is bump it down the card. If the prestige of the belt was so important, you wouldn't be putting this match on anyway. This match will totally flop in the main event spot after Chicago gets to see NJPW stars for the first time.

On the plus side, my friends and I will get to leave some front row seats empty on the hard camera side right before the main event.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Embracejg wrote:Colt Cabana shouldn't be headlining a PPV with NJPW stars. It's insulting to think we just want a Chicago guy in the main event when there's all this great talent coming in. No way can their match can live up to the rest of the card.

The right thing to do is bump it down the card. If the prestige of the belt was so important, you wouldn't be putting this match on anyway. This match will totally flop in the main event spot after Chicago gets to see NJPW stars for the first time.

On the plus side, my friends and I will get to leave some front row seats empty on the hard camera side right before the main event.
Colt vs. Lethal already has a better build than last month’s PPV main event.

My guess is that the show will have a pretty well-rounded card like the past few years. If this match doesn’t do it for you, then there will likely be others that will.
Big Red Machine

Wilson wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:Speaking of Bailey, is there any reason ROH isn't bringing him in for the Toronto show?
Because he’s not a wrestler that draws well enough to justify a one-off match. I like Mike Bailey, but he’s just not Liger or Lance Storm or Austin Aries or Samoa Joe. Those are usually the type of guys ROH allows for one-offs. And I’d probably be more disappointed if they brought him in for an unpromoted multi-man match.

However, if we were living in an alternate existence where Roddy vs. The World were ongoing, I’d also be asking, “hey, matchmaking, where’s my Mike Bailey?”
Just last year they brought in a whole slew of guys for one or two shows: Josh Alexander, Ariya Daivari, Danny Duggan (and probably one or two others I'm forgetting). Also, they seem to have no problem using guys like Mike Posey as "regional" guys, so why not use Bailey as a "regional" guy as well? He's a hell of a lot more talented than Posey (or Daivari, or Duggan).
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

Embracejg wrote:Colt Cabana shouldn't be headlining a PPV with NJPW stars. It's insulting to think we just want a Chicago guy in the main event when there's all this great talent coming in. No way can their match can live up to the rest of the card.

No guarantee Lethal vs Cabana is the main event. They could go with Naito vs O'Reilly, especially if it's an IWGP title match. Or something else entirely involving Okada and/or Tanahashi.
Embracejg

Post by Embracejg »

Burnside wrote: No guarantee Lethal vs Cabana is the main event. They could go with Naito vs O'Reilly, especially if it's an IWGP title match. Or something else entirely involving Okada and/or Tanahashi.
ROH announced it as the main event.
Wilson wrote: Colt vs. Lethal already has a better build than last month’s PPV main event.

My guess is that the show will have a pretty well-rounded card like the past few years. If this match doesn’t do it for you, then there will likely be others that will.
Oh I'll certainly love the rest of the show, decked out in my suit and tie like Japanese crowds filled with businessmen, and throwing streamers (during the in-ring intros, not entrances, like you're supposed to) and all of that. But if that's the main event, I'd rather get a head start on traffic.

As for the reason behind the Colt-Lethal match, that's not the issue. I don't care about win-loss records, and I doubt most crowds do either. I care about the potential quality of the match.

You could have a guy like Tanahashi or O'Reilly or Fish lose 100 times in a row, and then get a shot at Lethal, and I'd be more interested than this Cabana match, because the in-ring work in those bouts would be better.