ALL PURPOSE NEW TALENT/SPECIAL ATTRACTION THREAD

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
famicommander

Re: ALL PURPOSE NEW TALENT/SPECIAL ATTRACTION THREAD

Post by famicommander »

Chrisvegas27 wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:18 pm I wouldn't be surprised if they go after Barrett or swagger
I want nothing to do with either of them under any circumstances.

That Lucha Underground finale was kind of like being 9 and being told Disneyland burned down.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

I'll third the please no Swagger movement. He was a guy who desperately needed a reset and instead uses the exact same moveset on indies and Lucha Underground. Even being presented so much better on Lucha Underground and MLW but it's just the same boring guy.

I haven't watched the last two episodes of Lucha Underground yet but I dread the ending after hearing how it ends.
rovert1

Post by rovert1 »

Meltzer column about Final Battle in the Observer was interesting. Reading it made me more optimistic. ROH and the show seem like they're a lot more talent coming in and Final Battle might have impromptu matches to service that. Zack Sabre Jr and Will Ospreay will likely be key talent in 2019 more Zack than Will but ROH want Will enough to seemingly to cut him a deal.

There's paranoia in the MLW camp that ROH might have signed some of their talent to ditch their own show tomorrow and to show up to Final Battle.

It will be an interesting 24-48 hours to say the least.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

I wonder who Roh got from mlw then
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

kovs27 wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:50 pm I'll third the please no Swagger movement. He was a guy who desperately needed a reset and instead uses the exact same moveset on indies and Lucha Underground. Even being presented so much better on Lucha Underground and MLW but it's just the same boring guy.

I haven't watched the last two episodes of Lucha Underground yet but I dread the ending after hearing how it ends.
Really?
I found it to be a refreshing return to the stuff LU did that most interested me.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Thwagger just got the same storyline Brian Cage got when he debuted. Except they actually finished Thwagger's push, and he's orders of magnitude less entertaining and talented than Cage.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

Big Red Machine wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:54 pm
kovs27 wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:50 pm I'll third the please no Swagger movement. He was a guy who desperately needed a reset and instead uses the exact same moveset on indies and Lucha Underground. Even being presented so much better on Lucha Underground and MLW but it's just the same boring guy.

Really?
I found it to be a refreshing return to the stuff LU did that most interested me.
I just have a hard time getting into Swagger with the same moves I never liked in WWE, I will admit the character is more interesting. Again, not having seen the last two episodes so I can't fully judge his story yet. If/when there is a season 5 maybe he will grow on me some if I get more into his story.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

famicommander wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:02 pm Thwagger just got the same storyline Brian Cage got when he debuted. Except they actually finished Thwagger's push, and he's orders of magnitude less entertaining and talented than Cage.
I assumed the point of doing things with Cage first was to specifically establish that Gauntlet didn't quite work on Cage for some reason.
christopherclinton55

Post by christopherclinton55 »

rovert1 wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:55 pm Meltzer column about Final Battle in the Observer was interesting. Reading it made me more optimistic. ROH and the show seem like they're a lot more talent coming in and Final Battle might have impromptu matches to service that. Zack Sabre Jr and Will Ospreay will likely be key talent in 2019 more Zack than Will but ROH want Will enough to seemingly to cut him a deal.

There's paranoia in the MLW camp that ROH might have signed some of their talent to ditch their own show tomorrow and to show up to Final Battle.

It will be an interesting 24-48 hours to say the least.
They need to focus on making the television entertaining and making sure that app work properly.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

Again since they added to the creative team tomorrow and the tapings are going to be interesting creatively speaking
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Big Red Machine wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:14 pm
BurningHammer wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:03 pm
Big Red Machine wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:44 am
I've got no issue with bringing him in for a weekend or even two to see what he can do, but bringing him in just because he's openly gay is not productive for ROH, and especially with someone who has WWE's jobber stench all over him. I generally try to ignore people's sexual orientations so maybe I'm wrong about this, but there must be someone else running around on the indies who is both LGBT and better than Darren Young.
The thing is you just see him as a WWE jobber it's never going to work, I try and take everyone who comes into ROH from that system with a completely blank slate, if you do the work I have no problem where you come from or your past (unless it's a past Nick Gage). Also I would never advocate to sign someone just for their sexual orrientation, I agree it sends the wrong message, what I do believe though is that ROH is hampered by the nature of sinclair at it's political attitude which is ingrained itself to hate that isn't needed in the world and a signing like Young, would I hope create a more progessive nature within ROH as a company and to the outside world.

There are certainly talents out there that are within the LBGT community, Jake Atlas from what I saw looks talented if a bit raw, he is openly gay, Parrow is another very talented guy who has a wonderful balance between his wrestling life and his personal life.
Except Darren hasn't been turning any heads with his post-WWE work, either (and little bit of pre-WWE stuff of his I've seem was nothing special, either). Someone like Cody or Emma or Wade Barrett or even Swagger who were seen as having this untapped potential upside are one thing, but people like Darren Young or Simon Gotch or Bull Dempsey don't deserve anything more than a tryout. Bring Darren in for a weekend and put him in singles matches with a good opponent and give him fifteen minutes, and if he sinks, don't book him anymore. If he swims, do it again, and after two impressive weekends, then we can talk about a contract.

And it's not just about ex-WWE jobbers so much as ex-WWE (and TNA) guys in general. ROH needs to feel like it's own promotion, not a place where people who got cut from other promotions go .
Yeah I think we might have our wires crossed here, in no way did I want him signed to a full time deal, I was just making the point that I thought he deserved the chance to prove what he can do, if he sinks so be it, but looking at the matches i've seen I was more entertained by them than say someone like Swagger (who I just think is awful), Simon Gotch really isn't that much better, the amount of times he messed up during his matches in ROH was unreal and the less said about Dempsey the better really.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

I'd rather talent didn't ditch MLW, just work the show and get to Philly, screwing over a promoter, no matter if it's competition is a dick move and a talent willing to do isn't a talent I really want around.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

You never know a guy may be able to do both tonight. If their MLW or ROH match is early enough on the card they can head over to the other afterwards. It gets done by independent guys all the time on WM weekends.
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

dhads7161 wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:30 am You never know a guy may be able to do both tonight. If their MLW or ROH match is early enough on the card they can head over to the other afterwards. It gets done by independent guys all the time on WM weekends.
Are you sure about this one?
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

Yes. In 2017 you had guys on Wrestlecon show cards who were also on WWN cards that were going on at the same time.
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

Well good luck to whoever decides they can wrestle in Miami, Florida and New York City, New York on the same night.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

dhads7161 wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:25 am Yes. In 2017 you had guys on Wrestlecon show cards who were also on WWN cards that were going on at the same time.
Not when one show is in Miami and the other New York City.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

it's competition ... im fine with that.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

kovs27 wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:47 am
dhads7161 wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:25 am Yes. In 2017 you had guys on Wrestlecon show cards who were also on WWN cards that were going on at the same time.
Not when one show is in Miami and the other New York City.
Oh I took it as both were in NYC. My bad.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

I guess court posted about roh tried to sign two of their talent but they declined I wonder who was contact by roh and accepted their offer