ALL PURPOSE NEW TALENT/SPECIAL ATTRACTION THREAD

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
BurningHammer

Re: ALL PURPOSE NEW TALENT/SPECIAL ATTRACTION THREAD

Post by BurningHammer »

Corry Hollis is going to be at both events in Atlanta and Concord
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Great news!! Really like Hollis, the end of his feud with Skyler last year in PWX was amazing.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

AlexROH wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:29 am Great news!! Really like Hollis, the end of his feud with Skyler last year in PWX was amazing.
Yeah I've read a lot of good things about Hollis over the last year, I hope he kills it over the weekend and goes full time, he would be a strong undercard to mid card guy for sure.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:55 am
Wilson wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:58 am The Colin Defender has logged in and he has to say, after watching two matches of his in ROH, Colin is good! I like him as a lowercard guy. He's sharp in the ring and his story is really interesting. He was someone that was abused by the reality TV nature of the WWE and now he's trying have a career as an adult. It's a sympathetic and extremely unique character.
I'd love to know what storytelling he's doing considering he's the same size as most of the ROH roster, not a little guy here compared to the way you perfectly put it was "abused" in WWE. I don't know what sympathy he's drawing, or what's unique there.
His bio is his story, and it unique in that he wasn't squandered by the WWE as much as being publicly humiliated in his very early adulthood. I at least can't think of another wrestler today in similar circumstances still going. I also disagree that his size precludes him from being seen as an underdog.

Also, Corey's been deserving of this spot for a while. Hope it's at least a little more than these two shows in 2019.
AnHonorableMention

Post by AnHonorableMention »

Wilson wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:54 am
AnHonorableMention wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:55 am
Wilson wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:58 am The Colin Defender has logged in and he has to say, after watching two matches of his in ROH, Colin is good! I like him as a lowercard guy. He's sharp in the ring and his story is really interesting. He was someone that was abused by the reality TV nature of the WWE and now he's trying have a career as an adult. It's a sympathetic and extremely unique character.
I'd love to know what storytelling he's doing considering he's the same size as most of the ROH roster, not a little guy here compared to the way you perfectly put it was "abused" in WWE. I don't know what sympathy he's drawing, or what's unique there.
His bio is his story, and it unique in that he wasn't squandered by the WWE as much as being publicly humiliated in his very early adulthood. I at least can't think of another wrestler today in similar circumstances still going. I also disagree that his size precludes him from being seen as an underdog.

Also, Corey's been deserving of this spot for a while. Hope it's at least a little more than these two shows in 2019.
Putting my booker hat on, I don’t think you should acknowledge he’s not new talent to the casual fan he’s a wwe castoff. I wouldn’t shine light on that. I’d focus on his stengths, veteran of the indies, multi time tag champ, who will he take to tag glory next, etc. Either way I don’t see him getting another chance or wanting one. Luchasaurus took his job!
Captain Podcast
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

AlexROH wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:29 am Great news!! Really like Hollis, the end of his feud with Skyler last year in PWX was amazing.
I just can't get excited for things like this anymore because they almost never seem to lead to anything. No matter how well Hollis does or doesn't, the current booking has made it feel like anything coming in without a contract is just there to fill space on that show.
Big Red Machine

He can be a lower-card guy, but they can't have the announcers referring to him as an "international superstar" like they did several times in the course of just one ten-minute match at SOTF.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Kenny Omega and KUSHIDA are leaving NJPW.
Big Red Machine

monster mafia wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:25 pm Kenny Omega and KUSHIDA are leaving NJPW.
AEW?
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Big Red Machine wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:24 pm
monster mafia wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:25 pm Kenny Omega and KUSHIDA are leaving NJPW.
AEW?
i think kushida is more likely wwe bound...about omega im not sure.
Memphis Mark

Post by Memphis Mark »

Big Red Machine wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:24 pm
AEW?
Kenny Omega has probably been part of AEW since the beginning. The Khan family is putting up $ 100 million , I would think Omega had to be in to seal the deal.

My guess is that KUSHIDA will show up in NXT . I can see him working for the WWE for a couple of years then going back to NJPW .
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

I certainly think Kushida is making the right decission he's done everything possible in New Japan and obviously isn't moving up any weight classes. He's also getting to an age where he just couldn't endure the junior style especially at New Japan level for that much longer, more so with his history of great matches. Hopefully he gets the money he needs and lives a happy man.

Kenny I think is more of a work, it's just leaving every door open, which is what he usually does during his contract time. I think he will probably end up with AEW and New Japan. A couple of shots with both for a couple of years and be done with wrestling then.

Edit: Apparently Meltzer is saying that Kenny is Def gone and that there isn't going to be a relationship with AEW. How true that is I guess we will see.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Dave on Observer Radio says New Japan has decided to stay loyal to ROH and they will not work with AEW.

Dave says the reality is that ROH and AEW are competitors, they're both going to have their guys signed to exclusive contracts and they're not going to work together.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Interesting.... at this point i think it makes sense for ROH and NJPW to stick together. Working both promotions can make wrestlers a good financial offer, as well as a high level stage to become a star. Both companies should have a great deal of money, with some major contracts leaving. AEW is a competitor to both, so why help a competitor jump start their company?

In terms of Omega, he's probably received one of the best free agent offers from WWE , perhaps in their history. I'm sure a multi-year/million dollar contract. I'm sure AEW is making him a nice offer with more creative freedom, with less dates. Guess it's up to him which he prefers. Deep down he may want to try his hand at WWE. Wishful thinking, but maybe ROH made a blockbuster offer to Omega, and he can stay working NJPW on a limited basis.

I know a 100 million dollars for AEW seems like a lot, to start... but they are starting from ground zero. I have no doubts they can build a roster, tv show, web streaming infrastructure... but they still need to spend the money wisely. Realistically they will probably only run a few PPV's this year, and if they are lucky start filming some TV this year. I still wonder how the roster will be shaped. Are they going to go more on the Ex-WWE cast offs, with guys like Jericho/Goldberg who are rumored. Or will they try and snatch up the top indy guys. I imagine they want the quality wrestlers from both, but they may be forced to take what they can get. Is it Khan's vision, or more Cody/Bucks vision? Something about Goldberg and AEW gets me worried right off the bat.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Hopefully this makes NJPW, ROH, CMLL, and RevPro actually start being a cohesive unit and making plans together rather than just sometimes booking each other's dudes.
Big Red Machine

famicommander wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:57 am Hopefully this makes NJPW, ROH, CMLL, and RevPro actually start being a cohesive unit and making plans together rather than just sometimes booking each other's dudes.
I think the MSG show was ROH and NJPW starting to do this, and RevPro and NJPW seem to have been doing this for a while (though it has very much felt like it has been to RevPro's creative detriment). Neither Gedo nor Delirious' booking styles seem to be conducive to this, however, as they (and especially Gedo's) is based more around just protecting a top-tier crop of guys and moves rather than any sort of real "stories" the way an American or Mexican audience is used to. I think the best we'd get from this group is a big joint supershow trying to sell out a stadium, consisting of everyone sending top guys to have big matches, though mostly contained within their own universes rather than having more than two or three matches where the universes intersect.
Which isn't to say that that isn't a good idea, but it doesn't fit the definition of "working together" that I think a lot of people would expect when you say being a "cohesive unit."
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Juice Robinson has signed a three-year deal with NJPW. Meltzer noted that WWE was interested in Robinson, but there was no talking between the two sides. Meltzer also said that All Elite Wrestling "obviously wanted' Robinson.

good news for roh too.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Looks like John Skyler didn't mess up his only opportunity with ROH as he is set for Atlanta and Concord Along with Hollis, Slim J and Master and Machine (Machine looks like he could have something with a lot of growth)

I don't know how many of these guys will end in dark matches (Future of Honor) but it would be nice for Hollis and Skyler to be given a real shot again here.
Zhuge1

Post by Zhuge1 »

BurningHammer wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:23 pm Looks like John Skyler didn't mess up his only opportunity with ROH as he is set for Atlanta and Concord Along with Hollis, Slim J and Master and Machine (Machine looks like he could have something with a lot of growth)

I don't know how many of these guys will end in dark matches (Future of Honor) but it would be nice for Hollis and Skyler to be given a real shot again here.
Nice to see Skylar getting on the card.

It'll be interesting to see if "Slim J" is on the card, or if it's "Gladiator Jeremiah"
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Zhuge1 wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:22 pm
BurningHammer wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:23 pm Looks like John Skyler didn't mess up his only opportunity with ROH as he is set for Atlanta and Concord Along with Hollis, Slim J and Master and Machine (Machine looks like he could have something with a lot of growth)

Nice to see Skylar getting on the card.

It'll be interesting to see if "Slim J" is on the card, or if it's "Gladiator Jeremiah"
Yeah I really like Skylar and think he could go far.

I'm hoping it's Slim J because that Gladiator gimmick was just the pits.