ALL PURPOSE NEW TALENT/SPECIAL ATTRACTION THREAD

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Mr. Mojo Risin

Re: ALL PURPOSE NEW TALENT/SPECIAL ATTRACTION THREAD

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

The Dragon Saga wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:08 pm
Wilson wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:49 pm
The Dragon Saga wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:03 pm EVOLVE gets nowhere near as much buzz as ROH because it doesn't get any buzz at all!

EVOLVE is an independent promotion that the WWE, who EVOLVE initially wanted to be the opposite of, partnered up with in-order to "nudge-nudge" specific talents on the independent scene in order to make sure they didn't sign contracts with the likes of Ring of Honor who can actually pay talents salaries in-order to be exclusive to their brand. The most buzz EVOVLE has had at any one point is when they signed to Flo Slam, you know, that thing that ROH turned down because they could probably see it would inevitably fail due to a lack of infastructure and has little to no following due to its multitude of broken promises to those who were actually stupid enough to sign up to a membership? Yeah, that Flo Slam, the one Gabe used to get a pay day but most likely give little to nothing back. Ring of Honor off one pay-per-view, even if that was the worst fucking pay-per-view ever and had Glacier main event against Shane Hagadorn would create more buzz than anything EVOLVE has or will ever do, solely because it has a far greater reach so that people actually know what is happening!

And you using ROH's sale to Sinclair as a comparison to EVOLVE literally going from, "well, we're not sports entertainment, those guys wish they were as talented as us, it's time for wrestlings evolution" to, "hey Paul, give us some cash and we'll make sure Ring of Honor doesn't sign up anybody you want", which in reality, hasn't been all that effective, but so long as Gabe gets to sit backstage at Takeover events and get shot in the background of the production area, I'm sure he's pretty happy with his decisions.
Buzz has always meant people actually voicing themselves on platforms other than wrestling venues. On the internet, there's much less being written about ROH, which has seen declension for years. You can eve take a look at view counts on this very forum to see that the IWC isn't as attuned to what's happening as was a few years ago. Of course, the IWC is not some monolithic community, not even for a product like ROH. I usually only catch snippets of impressions when either EVOLVE or ROH are running that weekend, and not much at other times--unless perhaps ROH gets shone in less than flattering light, which has been happening less than infrequent this year. On the whole, American wrestling has been getting less buzz compared to Japanese and European promotions, so the small community that makes up the online conversation has just shifted.

EVOLVE does get some moments of relevance. People care about Riddle, Lee, and Sabre. Their subscription package is a better offering than ROH's by some margin--and if we can speak about scams, we won't even breath a murmur about ROH's Ringside whatever?--even if I am usually not willing to let it roll over from month to month.

I don't understand Gabe's selling out. He's always tried to be a form of WWE or Heyman-lite. He was just choosy about which aspects of RAW or Smackdown he wanted to pinch from (like gimmick matches, comedy sketches, sexist angles, overreliance on promos, blood blood blood, invocations of the Smackdown Six), which was evident from the very beginning. Him wanting to be aligned with a brand/promotion like NXT is practically among the most Gabe things he could have done. I just see no contradictions there. WWN needed to stay alive, and made a deal with a larger company. ROH needed to stay alive, and fortified themselves with a larger company. Not that wild of a comparison.

And that's probably it from me on this--head's up.
I will respond to this in more detail tomorrow. However, to make a quick point, as someone who has been frequenting forums for years now, who posts on places like Wreddit, has an account on VoW and has an account on F4W's Board, if you seriously think that fucking EVOLVE - fucking EVOLVE - has more people talking about it than Ring of Honor, than I have no counter argument because you're very much seeing things through very rose tinted glasses, for whatever reason.

EVOLVE is nothing to the world of wrestling. It is a feeder promotion to WWE to keep guys out of ROH - specifically, ROH. If EVOLVE closed down tomorrow, I doubt many would even care because most of the time, barely anyone knows it's there top begin with.
This is one subject that I agree with TDS on unequivocally. The stars must be in alignment. With these odds I should go play the lottery.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

ROH is in talks with some RPW talent. Mark Haskins is the one that ROH has more interest in and there have been some conversations between the two sides. He could sign a contract like the one Marty have next year. He impressed officials during the WOTW UK Tour (that's why they booked him strong) and he wants to do some tours in the US. Next month, as we said in the Global Wars Thread, he'll be comming for the AAW Tournament.
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

Hell yeah to Haskins. Hope he is brought in next month.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

hell yeah!
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

Haskins won't be at Global Wars Chicago...booked for Elgin's Glory Pro that day in Alton, IL in the St. Louis area.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Rey Mysterio is reportedly not going to GFW or WWE, and still has major beef with AAA.

ROH/NJPW/CMLL would be amazing. Think of the opponents:
Liger one last time
Ospreay
Kushida
Scurll
Dragon Lee
Volador Jr
Lethal
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

dhads7161 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:14 am Haskins won't be at Global Wars Chicago...booked for Elgin's Glory Pro that day in Alton, IL in the St. Louis area.
big mike promotion is dope.
King of Indy Style

Post by King of Indy Style »

Mysterio vs. KUSHIDA at the Dome for the Jr. Heavyweight title. Mysterio puts him over and he talks about how the juniors in New Japan are revolutionizing the business. Book it.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

I was thinking Mysterio wins the TV Title and headlines the first WOTW Mexico tour.
iamloco724

Post by iamloco724 »

I don't post often but to just thrown in my 2 cents on this whole "buzz" thing. I think we are a time in independent wrestling and maybe wrestling in general where it's not always the promotion that has buzz but it's more so specific talents.. Like lets be serious, if ROH didn't have the Bullet Club right now, would it still be relevant in any way? It's not the booking of ROH that has people keep buying tickets, it's those specific talents. I think the same goes for a company like EVOLVE right now, they have Riddle, Keith Lee probably has their main draws and then the other talent still can go and entertain.

From a booking perspective I like Gabe's style for the most part always have and always will. When you look at the talent roster for ROH vs. EVOLVE ROH relies heavily on Bullet Club and outside talent right now, EVOLVE is definitely more balanced in my opinion overall from their regular roster.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Maybe I'm not quite catching your meaning, but are you implying that Keith Lee and Matt Riddle are bigger draws than the non-BC ROH roster? The Briscoes, Jay Lethal, Christopher Daniels, Motor City Machine Guns, Dalton Castle?

You seem to use "buzz" and "draw" somewhat interchangeably.

Because if you booked an ROH show with the whole roster minus Bullet Club and put it head to head against the best Evolve card you could muster, the ROH show would probably double up the Evolve show in attendance.
iamloco724

Post by iamloco724 »

famicommander wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:16 pm Maybe I'm not quite catching your meaning, but are you implying that Keith Lee and Matt Riddle are bigger draws than the non-BC ROH roster? The Briscoes, Jay Lethal, Christopher Daniels, Motor City Machine Guns, Dalton Castle?

You seem to use "buzz" and "draw" somewhat interchangeably.

Because if you booked an ROH show with the whole roster minus Bullet Club and put it head to head against the best Evolve card you could muster, the ROH show would probably double up the Evolve show in attendance.
I am not saying they are bigger draws I am saying those are EVOLVE's stand out two that probably bring more people in right now than the rest of the EVOLVE roster. I was not saying EVOLVE can out draw ROH or comparing them in that way. What I am saying is that I don't think any particular company right now has buzz, I think because so many talents work for multiple promotions that it's more so people following the talent and not necessarily the company. The Bullet Club transcends ROH, they are bigger than ROH as a company. Sure you have guys like the Briscoes and Lethal but are they anywhere near the popularity of the Bullet Club right now? Is Hammerstein selling out without Bucks, Scrull and Cody on the card? Can a card even come together without those guys right now? ROH has a handful of talent at that level, the rest have left.

The only comparison I made between the two was from a personal perspective I prefer EVOLVE right now, I still go to ROH shows and follow the company but I cant even be bothered watching the weekly ROH show right now. I don't think anyone can sit there and say there isn't problems right now in ROH right now from a talent stand point.. They need new talent desperately and I don't just mean young guys I mean guys that can actually have a place on the card and be on the level of the ROH talent you mentioned.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

monster mafia wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:47 am
dhads7161 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:14 am Haskins won't be at Global Wars Chicago...booked for Elgin's Glory Pro that day in Alton, IL in the St. Louis area.
big mike promotion is dope.
It is...got to catch the show in July and that thing was awesome. Got to see Cody vs. Elgin and Dijak vs. Marufuji. Thinking of taking the three hour drive next month too to see the Lucha Brothers.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

AlexROH wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:20 am ROH is in talks with some RPW talent. Mark Haskins is the one that ROH has more interest in and there have been some conversations between the two sides. He could sign a contract like the one Marty have next year. He impressed officials during the WOTW UK Tour (that's why they booked him strong) and he wants to do some tours in the US. Next month, as we said in the Global Wars Thread, he'll be comming for the AAW Tournament.
when you saw this? observer?
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

monster mafia wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:19 am
AlexROH wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:20 am ROH is in talks with some RPW talent. Mark Haskins is the one that ROH has more interest in and there have been some conversations between the two sides. He could sign a contract like the one Marty have next year. He impressed officials during the WOTW UK Tour (that's why they booked him strong) and he wants to do some tours in the US. Next month, as we said in the Global Wars Thread, he'll be comming for the AAW Tournament.
when you saw this? observer?
Nope. In our website we have some contacts and some of our staff is in groups with insiders and people with tons of information. It isn't 100% confirmed that Haskins will come, but he is in talk with ROH and they are looking to sign some british talent in the biginning of 2018.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

thats great...hope we can see haskins and cck next year in roh.
Brada

Post by Brada »

maxx_powerz wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:20 pm Is AAW the most buzzworthy American Indy right now like it seems or am I hanging out in weird circles?

I think I would have to give that title to Wrestle Circus in Austin, TX.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Ethan Page has left EVOLVE (maybe bc Saposlky accused him of leaking the e-mail). Will he return to ROH? I wouldn't mind it, what I would LOVE is the return of Monster Mafia. Josh Alexander is awesome.
King of Indy Style

Post by King of Indy Style »

If its not Monster Mafia than Page can screw off. Only ever liked him with Alexander.
iamloco724

Post by iamloco724 »

Ethan is great and it's been confirmed it has nothing to do with any of the recent drama, he asked for his release weeks ago.