ALL PURPOSE NEW TALENT/SPECIAL ATTRACTION THREAD

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
AlexROH

Re: ALL PURPOSE NEW TALENT/SPECIAL ATTRACTION THREAD

Post by AlexROH »

NJPW has signed Cobb and Riddle. But, as it happens with ZSJ, neither will be able to compete in ROH/NJPW shows bc they have a contract with EVOLVE too.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

AlexROH wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:11 am NJPW has signed Cobb and Riddle. But, as it happens with ZSJ, neither will be able to compete in ROH/NJPW shows bc they have a contract with EVOLVE too.
Arrrgh! Can you imagine The Chosen Bros. showing up in ROH? I can only dream...
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Cobb is also still signed to Lucha Underground
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

not signed i think...they are gonna compete at the world tag league.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

Cobb and Riddle going to NJPW is probably because of U.S. expansion. Need more U.S. based guys just in case a bunch of Japanese guys were to run into visa issues right before a tour. Cobb I love the idea of him in NJPW reminds me of a classic gaijin because of his build and size, Riddle not quite sure (not to say I don't like him because I do he's awesome) to me he would seem out of place in NJPW right now due to his personality. Would kind of be cool to see Gabe allow an EVOLVE or WWN title match at WK though. Maybe Riddle vs. Sabre for both titles.
WebConn

Post by WebConn »

ROH needs an influx of new talent their roster is way too thin right now.
SteenMark23

Post by SteenMark23 »

It's laughable how badly Gabe has ran cicles around them in terms of finding new talent.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

That's only because Evolve is seen as a pipeline to NXT/WWE.

Nobody would go there otherwise. It'd just be another AAW or PWG.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

EVOLVE does do one thing that AAW and PWG don't though...tour.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

famicommander wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:36 am That's only because Evolve is seen as a pipeline to NXT/WWE.

Ever since Triple H gutted Evolve by taking Gargano, Nese, Gulak, Perkins, etc.; Evolve has become more of a drive thru service for the WWE. Rush, O'Reilly, Dijak were there to have a cup of coffee and leave. While Gabe has plenty of good talent there, I think Triple H keeps Gabe around like a lap dog. Someone with more knowledge than I might know this, but has Evolve even picked up numbers at the gate since this supposed relationship was revealed?
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:56 pm
famicommander wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:36 am That's only because Evolve is seen as a pipeline to NXT/WWE.

Ever since Triple H gutted Evolve by taking Gargano, Nese, Gulak, Perkins, etc.; Evolve has become more of a drive thru service for the WWE. Rush, O'Reilly, Dijak were there to have a cup of coffee and leave. While Gabe has plenty of good talent there, I think Triple H keeps Gabe around like a lap dog. Someone with more knowledge than I might know this, but has Evolve even picked up numbers at the gate since this supposed relationship was revealed?
EVOLVE hasn't grow a lot since his beginning, that's a fact. Gabe has a lot of talent, but his booking... He did bad in the firsts years of EVOLVE (creating a bad reputation between the IWC about EVOLVE) and with DGUSA. Now, he has done better with EVOLVE, but he hasn't got any momentum. It's funny bc some reviewers talk gold about everything EVOLVE does and everything Gabe book, but the reality is that their events have little and death crowds. Gabe can't do what he did with ROH, he isn't able to create a company with his own name and reputation. I mean, ROH, like TNA or WWE, has his own fans, the ones who watch the product bc they like the company, not the wrestlers, can you say the same thing about EVOLVE? Nope. They don't have a real fanbase, people in the crowd are just fans of the talent and they go to see some of them. That's another reality.

I like watching EVOLVE and, in some ways, it's better than ROH and other north american promotions, but they aren't the big deal some reviewers say. Their attendence numbers hasn't grow a lot in 2 years and they don't have a loyal fanbase yet. On the othen hand, ROH is growing and making better numbers. Does ROH need more young talent? Yes. Does EVOLVE have a stronger roster? Yes, Is EVOLVE a more profitable and famous company? Nope.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

AlexROH wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:24 pm

EVOLVE hasn't grow a lot since his beginning, that's a fact. Gabe has a lot of talent, but his booking... He did bad in the firsts years of EVOLVE (creating a bad reputation between the IWC about EVOLVE) and with DGUSA. Now, he has done better with EVOLVE, but he hasn't got any momentum. It's funny bc some reviewers talk gold about everything EVOLVE does and everything Gabe book, but the reality is that their events have little and death crowds. Gabe can't do what he did with ROH, he isn't able to create a company with his own name and reputation. I mean, ROH, like TNA or WWE, has his own fans, the ones who watch the product bc they like the company, not the wrestlers, can you say the same thing about EVOLVE? Nope. They don't have a real fanbase, people in the crowd are just fans of the talent and they go to see some of them. That's another reality.

I like watching EVOLVE and, in some ways, it's better than ROH and other north american promotions, but they aren't the big deal some reviewers say. Their attendence numbers hasn't grow a lot in 2 years and they don't have a loyal fanbase yet. On the othen hand, ROH is growing and making better numbers. Does ROH need more young talent? Yes. Does EVOLVE have a stronger roster? Yes, Is EVOLVE a more profitable and famous company? Nope.
Yeah man, I tried to get into Evolve and I just can't. I think Gabe is a victim of his own success as anything he does I compare to the ROH Golden Years. Plus, I fucking hate Ethan Page. I can't stand the guy. Now that we have both been critical of Evolve I await Big Red Machine to torch us both.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

It's an extremely low budget federation without any of the storyline soul of golden age ROH. Quality workrate? The industry is congested with it now, as its no longer limited to just a few.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

supersonic wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:08 pm It's an extremely low budget federation without any of the storyline soul of golden age ROH. Quality workrate? The industry is congested with it now, as its no longer limited to just a few.
Well said.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

I'm not disagreeing with your analysis of EVOLVE's situation, but I think you've got the Gabe-Hunter situation slightly wrong. I think Gabe- going back to about 2012 or whenever he started making occasional appearances in articles on the WWE website or on DVDs like the Punk DVD- has been angling to become the Paul Heyman to Triple H's Vince. And he's been succeeding wildly.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:32 pm
AlexROH wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:24 pm

Yeah man, I tried to get into Evolve and I just can't. I think Gabe is a victim of his own success as anything he does I compare to the ROH Golden Years. Plus, I fucking hate Ethan Page. I can't stand the guy. Now that we have both been critical of Evolve I await Big Red Machine to torch us both.
If you would to be torched, I'll yell at you for clearly not understanding that you're supposed to be doing what I do an channeling your hatred of Ethan Page into a desire to reaching into your wallet and give Gabe money to watch babyfaces try to beat him.

I'll heavily disagree that EVOLVE doesn't have the depth of storylines that the golden age of ROH did. They're storylines of a different type, though. Gabe's ROH run definitely had more emotion behind the storylines, but I think the storylines (and, in general, the card construction) in EVOLVE are far more... intriguing. Things evolve (no pun intended) in more interesting ways and feel like they can go in.

I can't argue that EVOLVE is making money hand over fist (I don't even know that they're making money at all), but I will use the invitation "torch" to express a... frustration.. with the indy wrestling fanbase in general, which is that people have moved so much more towards shtick and spotfests other PWG-esque things that a promotion like EVOLVE, which remembers that wrestling is about telling stories rather than being funny or showing off how many flips you can do, suffers because people have developed shorter attention spans and don't like serious wrestling anymore with a crowd that isn't out for themselves. EVOLVE is a starving artist in the wrestling world, and it sucks because it someone doing such a good job shouldn't be starving, especially while the PWGs and current ROHs or the world are not.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Let me know when there's an Evolve angle as hot as Ki turning heel or Jacobs creeping on Lacey.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

My point is that EVOLVE isn't as hot as some say and they don't have as much interesting storylines as everybody say.

WWN Live isn't happy with Gabe's work. As he proved in ROH, he's a very good booker but an awful promoter, that's why I say EVOLVE hasnt been able to create a strong fanbase and GROW IN SIX YEARS. Plus, you have his awful job this year booking and giving FIP a "new identity" or creating Style Battle. Neither of these shows has had a crowd of more than 30 people.

As Heyman did years ago, Gabe is waiting until WWN fire him so he can complete his dream and work full-time for WWE.

And fanbases, I don't know, I just see the problem in EVOLVE. PWG has tons of hardcore fans, even fans that are no wrestling fans, ROH has true fans, PROGRESS has a strong fanbase, even Beyond Wrestling has a loyal fanbase. But EVOLVE, do you know a big group of people that say they are EVOLVE fans (outside the 2 people that run Everything EVOLVE podcast) ? If that kind of people exist, crowds wouldnt be as shitty as they are (outside La Boom), bc they'll know storylines and would be emotionally involved in the matches.

When people just go to your shows bc you have a great combinations of talent but no identity, you have a problem. And I say this as a fan of EVOLVE. I'm tired of this EVOLVE is for everybody and all of that. I used to love the company when they booked 5-6 match cards and have long and technical matches, that was a different over the rest of the scene. Nowadays? They have a spotty-mode Matt Riddle in every ME, tons of high-flyers (I still don't know why Allin and Kincaid are getting such strongs pushes) and matches between 10-20 minutes, bc, you know, EVOLVE is for Everybody. Argh, do you see my point ? When you have to change your identity every year for getting more atention, you are asuming that you won't have a true fanbase.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

You know how you know EVOLVE isn't really hot shit? They have to rely on WrestleMania weekend to get their biggest draws of the year. Has ROH evet had their biggest draw of the year on a Mania weekend? Yes, it happened this year, hell it was literally their largest event ever, but they've never had to rely on WWE to draw their best numbers of the year. I'd even make the argument that it wasn't solely because of Mania weekend that they drew thst much at SCOH because ROH was running in Lakeland, way out of the way but with their effort to bring in the Hardys, promote the shit out of that main event, and offer bus trans out to Lakeland (bus trans I think even had less to do with it, so many people still drove over) they drew that number. EVOLVE had nothing special to promote their cards that week just hey, biggest weekend of the year, we'll be there, come out to the OLE. EVOLVE shows didn't even have the most buzz from all the WWN shows that weekend that was Joey Janela's Spring Break.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

evolve is wack.