ALL PURPOSE NEW TALENT/SPECIAL ATTRACTION THREAD

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
AlexROH

Re: ALL PURPOSE NEW TALENT/SPECIAL ATTRACTION THREAD

Post by AlexROH »

I don't think that's a bad thing. WWE was acting ilegally when they contacted with talent while they were under contract with ROH (or any other company). If WWE, the big comapany that is able to hire everyone they want, wouldn't have done illegal things, this won't happend.

I don't think taking independents booking for 3 months is a bad thing. C'mon, WWE doesn't allow their wrestlers to perform on live television for 90 days after they are relased. How many times Impact or ROH have tried to use a wrestler on TV and they did have to wait for 3 months?

I find absurd that you blame ROH for saying to WWE "hey, I only want you to do things under lagallity". WWE is the big company that thinks (and I most cases can) that he can do whatever he want however he want. It's a company that is always trying to monopolize the wrestling business and some of your are saying that ROH is the bad part here?
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

PWTorch:
Cody Rhodes to become a mainstay of Ring of Honor wrestler after a year of free agency adventures
If this means Cody Rhodes is winning the ROH WORLD TITLE, in a PPV with NJPW talent involved, in the HAMMERSTEIN BALLROOM... [cornette] [cornette] [cornette] [cornette]
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

AlexROH wrote:I don't think that's a bad thing. WWE was acting ilegally when they contacted with talent while they were under contract with ROH (or any other company). If WWE, the big comapany that is able to hire everyone they want, wouldn't have done illegal things, this won't happend.

I don't think taking independents booking for 3 months is a bad thing. C'mon, WWE doesn't allow their wrestlers to perform on live television for 90 days after they are relased. How many times Impact or ROH have tried to use a wrestler on TV and they did have to wait for 3 months?

I find absurd that you blame ROH for saying to WWE "hey, I only want you to do things under lagallity". WWE is the big company that thinks (and I most cases can) that he can do whatever he want however he want. It's a company that is always trying to monopolize the wrestling business and some of your are saying that ROH is the bad part here?
I'm sure Dijak, Fish, Rowe, and whoever else is affected by this feel the same way.

Yup.
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

Rowe isn't apart of that group and I'd take a guess to say neither is Fish. WWE want talents to completely leave ROH or whichever promotion they are signed to, not let their contract expire and then continue working for them on per appearance dates.
LJimmy

Post by LJimmy »

AlexROH wrote:I don't think that's a bad thing. WWE was acting ilegally when they contacted with talent while they were under contract with ROH (or any other company). If WWE, the big comapany that is able to hire everyone they want, wouldn't have done illegal things, this won't happend.

Again I already pointed out how ROH has done the same thing that they are accusing WWE of doing and also the fact that WWE stills pays talents during their 90 days. Is ROH making it up to Kyle, Dijak and Rush in any way financially?

If Impact is doing the same thing then it's ironic on their part. Over a year ago they admitted to tampering with Karl Anderson while being singed to New Japan. I bet they have already spoken to Jack Swagger before he's even clear from WWE. Also, Paige, still under WWE contract, has been backstage at Impact tapings.

Now that said, I'm not sure I 100% buy that there's also the same situation with Impact wrestlers looking to join WWE as there are with ROH wrestlers. The Hardys and Drew McIntyre started with WWE a lot sooner than 90 days after leaving. I'm thinking with Steve it might be a deal where he has a no- compete clause he has to honor since Impact had the option to renew for another year and he asked to be let out.
The Dragon Saga

ROH weren't bringing in WWE talents to their training facility and telling them, "hey, when your contract is up there, why don't you come here?", like they did with Steve Corino. WWE illegally tampered with a contracted talent. I don't recall ROH doing that to a WWE or TNA talent that I am aware of.
LJimmy

Post by LJimmy »

The Dragon Saga wrote:ROH weren't bringing in WWE talents to their training facility and telling them, "hey, when your contract is up there, why don't you come here?", like they did with Steve Corino. WWE illegally tampered with a contracted talent. I don't recall ROH doing that to a WWE or TNA talent that I am aware of.

It doesn't have to be at a training facility. If you're talking to somebody you're clearly talking to somebody which is what ROH has clearly done with Lucha Underground names and Drew. Also, Cody was never looked at as someone who would be a fit in many of these places he's been working since last August, yet before he was contractually free he was putting together his lists and word broke that he would likely work for these places. So how does this happen without any talks prior to being clear from WWE? You think he would've left so easily and made plans to try to be a super worker instead soneone coasting on his WWE exposure if he didn't know these other places that focus on strong ring work would take him? Everybody tampers and it has gone on for decades. One of Jericho's books let's people in on how this is possible. People who don't believe this have either never read the Observer or they have and didn't pay attention to what Meltzer has written.
SweetDaddy

Post by SweetDaddy »

I've met Jason Kincaid several times.

He's a very polite and humble young man.

What took him to the next level was going to Mexico.
The Dragon Saga

LJimmy wrote:
The Dragon Saga wrote:ROH weren't bringing in WWE talents to their training facility and telling them, "hey, when your contract is up there, why don't you come here?", like they did with Steve Corino. WWE illegally tampered with a contracted talent. I don't recall ROH doing that to a WWE or TNA talent that I am aware of.

It doesn't have to be at a training facility. If you're talking to somebody you're clearly talking to somebody which is what ROH has clearly done with Lucha Underground names and Drew. Also, Cody was never looked at as someone who would be a fit in many of these places he's been working since last August, yet before he was contractually free he was putting together his lists and word broke that he would likely work for these places. So how does this happen without any talks prior to being clear from WWE? You think he would've left so easily and made plans to try to be a super worker instead soneone coasting on his WWE exposure if he didn't know these other places that focus on strong ring work would take him? Everybody tampers and it has gone on for decades. One of Jericho's books let's people in on how this is possible. People who don't believe this have either never read the Observer or they have and didn't pay attention to what Meltzer has written.
What evidence do you have that they in any way lured any talent into coming to ROH? There's a saying, innocent until proven guilty. Nobody has had proof to accuse ROH of doing it while WWE clearly violated ROH's contracts, most likely because they felt, "hey, we can do what we want", they were guilty the minute they received that legal letter and changed the way in-which they sign talent.

Cody put out that list by himself. He was out of WWE two months before ROH announced his debut, which was then another two months away. He had debuted with TNA before he had debuted for ROH but he was announced for ROH before he was announced for TNA. I'm not saying nobody tampers, of course they do. Wrestling is still a business ran by social politicians and carnies, but ROH decided to do their best to protect their assets.

This goes both ways, by the way. Don't forget the only reason WWE gave EVOLVE that rub was because they wanted a place on the indies to keep talent out of signing contracts with places like ROH, Lucha Underground, NJPW and even TNA. WWE went out of their way to tell talent if they want a future in their company to ignore those places and instead work for Gabe and in-turn Gabe gets a way to tell guys, "hey, if you come here and sign my contract, I'll tell Paul and the boys how great you are and that way you'll get into the fed". Why else do you think anybody who couldn't get work elsewhere would work for him?
ROHfan2002

Post by ROHfan2002 »

Can somebody provide actual evidence that it is ROH keeping these guys from working for 90 days?

Because everything I've read seems clear that it is the WWE DECIDING not to have anyting to do with them until 90 days after.

The only way ROH could do anything like that is if there is that no compete clause in the contract beforehand. The contract that these talents all willingly signed on their own free will.

I'm no lawyer, but without a no compete clause, how could ROH legally stop anybody for 90 days after they are out of contract? Legally, how would they? The contract is expired. OR they would have to provide some kind of compensation.

Has to be some legal side to this, otherwise the big money WWE lawyers could easily get around that 90 days.

Seems like we are blaming ROH for something that is most likely a WWE decision.
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

ROHfan2002 wrote:Can somebody provide actual evidence that it is ROH keeping these guys from working for 90 days?

Because everything I've read seems clear that it is the WWE DECIDING not to have anyting to do with them until 90 days after.

The only way ROH could do anything like that is if there is that no compete clause in the contract beforehand. The contract that these talents all willingly signed on their own free will.

I'm no lawyer, but without a no compete clause, how could ROH legally stop anybody for 90 days after they are out of contract? Legally, how would they? The contract is expired. OR they would have to provide some kind of compensation.

Has to be some legal side to this, otherwise the big money WWE lawyers could easily get around that 90 days.

Lawsuits of that size are total money pits, WWE doesn't want even a hint to do anything with them if they can avoid it.

Maybe there's more to it than we know, but so far it seems ROH is fucking around with the futures of these guys and it doesn't sit well with me at all.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

The Dragon Saga wrote:
This goes both ways, by the way. Don't forget the only reason WWE gave EVOLVE that rub was because they wanted a place on the indies to keep talent out of signing contracts with places like ROH, Lucha Underground, NJPW and even TNA. WWE went out of their way to tell talent if they want a future in their company to ignore those places and instead work for Gabe and in-turn Gabe gets a way to tell guys, "hey, if you come here and sign my contract, I'll tell Paul and the boys how great you are and that way you'll get into the fed". Why else do you think anybody who couldn't get work elsewhere would work for him?
I don't actually think this is technically illegal. Unfair? Perhaps. Malicious? Certainly. But when you're dealing with the law, it's only legality that matters.
LJimmy

Post by LJimmy »

The Dragon Saga wrote:
LJimmy wrote:

What evidence do you have that they in any way lured any talent into coming to ROH? There's a saying, innocent until proven guilty. Nobody has had proof to accuse ROH of doing it while WWE clearly violated ROH's contracts, most likely because they felt, "hey, we can do what we want", they were guilty the minute they received that legal letter and changed the way in-which they sign talent.

Cody put out that list by himself. He was out of WWE two months before ROH announced his debut, which was then another two months away. He had debuted with TNA before he had debuted for ROH but he was announced for ROH before he was announced for TNA. I'm not saying nobody tampers, of course they do. Wrestling is still a business ran by social politicians and carnies, but ROH decided to do their best to protect their assets.

Ricochet and Callihan pretty much outed themselves on twitter last week. Drew was well known to have ROH interest. This was around the time he hr started doing an interview tour hyping up his pending free agency, which was designed to line up multiple bidders for his services. Cody was known to be scheduled to work ROH before he was clear from WWE. All places he intended to hit were known right away with the exception of Impact.

I think this situation is more than about tampering. I think the real story is that the people running ROH are scared shitless of people going to NXT even though they always tell their internet and newsletter mouthpieces to claim that ROH is a hot product that is always selling out shows and is capable of replacing anybody. So if they are so hot and if truly are a star making operation then there is no need to be damaging people's careers and hurting their potential to increase their earnings like they are doing now. Maybe they should put more energy into fixing what's wrong with their company behind the scenes that is leading to these monthly departures and is also the real reasons why hot independent names are choosing Evolve over ROH.
LJimmy

Post by LJimmy »

JTCole wrote:
ROHfan2002 wrote:Can somebody provide actual evidence that it is ROH keeping these guys from working for 90 days?

Lawsuits of that size are total money pits, WWE doesn't want even a hint to do anything with them if they can avoid it.

Maybe there's more to it than we know, but so far it seems ROH is fucking around with the futures of these guys and it doesn't sit well with me at all.

ROH will publicly do the carny thing and claim they are not telling these guys to stay out of WWE, but they know full well that companies react to these allegations by doing what WWE is doing now and that's their intention. This is how they block people from going there.
Brada

Post by Brada »

AlexROH wrote:PWTorch:
Cody Rhodes to become a mainstay of Ring of Honor wrestler after a year of free agency adventures
If this means Cody Rhodes is winning the ROH WORLD TITLE, in a PPV with NJPW talent involved, in the HAMMERSTEIN BALLROOM... [cornette] [cornette] [cornette] [cornette]

Cody takes the strap at the PPV in the triple threat....
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

Brada wrote:

If I were doing it, Daniels pins Lethal, then Cody wins at BitW.

Assuming Cody is now guaranteed a title run, which, let's face it, he now is.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Brada wrote:

you work for roh?
Mike Adamle

Post by Mike Adamle »

I'm guessing the main event of NYC will be a 4-way between Matt Taven (C) (wins the belt in Dearborn) vs. Christopher Daniels vs. Cody Rhodes vs. Silas Young. They need Jay Lethal elsewhere on the card to fill it out.
BlackLesnar wrote:Seriously though, I completely agree with Mike.
Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:
Mike Adamle wrote:Should've named this show "Masters of the Roll Up"
This is the best post ever by Adamle. I laughed my ass off at this.
King of Indy Style

Post by King of Indy Style »

A Cody ROH Title run certainly isn't high on the list of things I wanted to see, but if it happens I'd give it a chance. It certainly wouldn't be as bad as a boring schmuck like Matt Taven winning it
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Apparently Cody is going to get the full Christian Cage treatment. I guess that would also set up Cody vs. Lethal at Best in the World. State of your roster, mate.

Regarding contract stipulations and tampering, the sentiment from Meltzer has been to assume communications between agents and promotions to be done surreptitiously unless proven otherwise. Companies are within their legal right to stake out these clauses, but they are cruel to their employees, especially so to talent at ROH’s level for whom it would be difficult earning their actual wages on the independents. Aggressions between the two companies ultimately hurt existing ROH bystanders and potential workers. Using these clauses as leverage to counteract bad booking and strained office politics is crappy business development.