ALL PURPOSE NEW TALENT/SPECIAL ATTRACTION THREAD

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
cgstong
Admin
Admin

Re: ALL PURPOSE NEW TALENT/SPECIAL ATTRACTION THREAD

Post by cgstong »

Anyone think some of these WOH Title participants are going to get contracts and if so, who?
If you're having any issues with the forum tweet at me Twitter.com/ROH_World
or Fb.com/ROHworld
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Yeah I would say two or three would depending on how they do, there are certainly two I would give contracts too straight away. I have a feeling there will be more contracts offered to women outside the tournament.
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

Alex Shelley says Tre LeMar, Lee Moriarty, and Ben Carter were set to debut (probably Future of Honor stuff) at an upcoming show, with Moriarty vs. Jon Gresham at one point talked about happening.

https://twitter.com/fakekinkade/status/ ... 95681?s=21

Looks like there was a Future of Honor show planned for 5/2.

https://twitter.com/fakekinkade/status/ ... 65153?s=21
Montana

Post by Montana »

Rey Horus is officially signed with ROH now.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

https://www.wwe.com/article/scott-dawso ... l-released
Effective today, Friday April 10, 2020, WWE and The Revival have agreed on their immediate release from WWE. We wish them all the best in their future endeavors.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Interesting move with WWE releasing the Revivial. Makes sense from WWE"s perspective if they don't want to resign. I assume they'll go to AEW, and they'll be stretching the bank out a bit to sign potentially sign them. I gotta think WWE knows, that AEW is financially strained by the cornavirus.

If my math is correct, AEW has been formed about 15 months ago, and they've put on 30-35 live shows between the weekly Dynamite's and PPVs. They make a little money off the TV deal, but mainly it was for the exposure that made it beneficial to them.

I wonder who might be next... as it's been rumored WWE may unload a handful of talent, and who would be a good fit for ROH. Revivial in ROH would be good, but probably not worth the cost to get them. ROH already has a really good tag division. Same as AEW, but less pressure for mass appeal.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

The Revival is ridiculously overrated.
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

famicommander wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:55 am The Revival is ridiculously overrated.
If they are overrated....every wrestler is overrated.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Without the Young Bucks "feud" they'd just be another faceless, unremarkable tag team
AnHonorableMention

Post by AnHonorableMention »

Montana wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:30 am Interesting move with WWE releasing the Revivial. Makes sense from WWE"s perspective if they don't want to resign. I assume they'll go to AEW, and they'll be stretching the bank out a bit to sign potentially sign them. I gotta think WWE knows, that AEW is financially strained by the cornavirus.
The Khan family operates on a much smaller scale than WWE does, if anyone is fiscally hammered here it's WWE. In reality everyone is affected financially if they own a business. The bigger the company, the worse it is.
Montana wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:30 am If my math is correct, AEW has been formed about 15 months ago, and they've put on 30-35 live shows between the weekly Dynamite's and PPVs. They make a little money off the TV deal, but mainly it was for the exposure that made it beneficial to them.
The extension signed in January with TNT Is worth plenty for the year to cover talent and like many business contracts would have provisions based around unforseen public health or public damages. I won't say it's a lock the Revival are coming to AEW but if you've followed social media it's rather obvious they aren't going to show up anywhere else.
Montana wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:30 amI wonder who might be next... as it's been rumored WWE may unload a handful of talent, and who would be a good fit for ROH. Revivial in ROH would be good, but probably not worth the cost to get them. ROH already has a really good tag division. Same as AEW, but less pressure for mass appeal.
ROH's tag division right now is awful. The Briscoes, Lethal/Gresham(which isn't a true tag team), Bouncers(meh), what else is there that anyone cares about? WWE has a few talents with deals up in the coming month, names are behind paywalls at the various go to sites. I can't see ROH going after any of the names and being able to pay them scale to come back/debut. Lastly, also keep in mind ROH just re-signed Angelina Love and another masked dude who serves no purpose when everyone knew the Revival was going to be available sooner rather than later. Priorities.
Captain Podcast
Montana

Post by Montana »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:34 pm
Montana wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:30 am

The extension signed in January with TNT Is worth plenty for the year to cover talent and like many business contracts would have provisions based around unforseen public health or public damages. I won't say it's a lock the Revival are coming to AEW but if you've followed social media it's rather obvious they aren't going to show up anywhere else.
Montana wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:30 amI wonder who might be next... as it's been rumored WWE may unload a handful of talent, and who would be a good fit for ROH. Revivial in ROH would be good, but probably not worth the cost to get them. ROH already has a really good tag division. Same as AEW, but less pressure for mass appeal.
ROH's tag division right now is awful. The Briscoes, Lethal/Gresham(which isn't a true tag team), Bouncers(meh), what else is there that anyone cares about? WWE has a few talents with deals up in the coming month, names are behind paywalls at the various go to sites. I can't see ROH going after any of the names and being able to pay them scale to come back/debut.
I was tracking AEW TV deal covered Live TV production cost... and NOT all the wrestlers salaries. I could be wrong, but i believe it was from F4Wonline.

ROH's tag division:

Briscoes
Lethal & Gresham ... they are the tag champs so i'd say they are true tag team
Bouncers ... they haven't even wrestled that much in 2020 in ROH

Dont forget:
Villain Enterprises (PCO and Brody King and/or Marty and FLip)
MExablood (Bandido & FLamita)
Sias Young and Josh Woods
Dalton Castle and Joe Hendry
Jeff CObb and Dan Maff
Rush & Dragon Lee
Haskins and T. WIlliams (For now)

To a lesser extent:

SOS
PJ Black and The Mecha
SSS

Most likely:
The Kingdom will reform
AnHonorableMention

Montana wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:58 pm
I was tracking AEW TV deal covered Live TV production cost... and NOT all the wrestlers salaries. I could be wrong, but i believe it was from F4Wonline.
The EVP's I do believe are covered by TNT in addition to the entire production budget which includes travel/lodging. I know a lot of things are done through various production houses on contract with AEW. It's no doubt an expensive operation but not nearly at the WWE expense.
Montana wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:58 pmROH's tag division:

Briscoes
Lethal & Gresham ... they are the tag champs so i'd say they are true tag team
Bouncers ... they haven't even wrestled that much in 2020 in ROH

Dont forget:
Villain Enterprises (PCO and Brody King and/or Marty and FLip)
MExablood (Bandido & FLamita)
Sias Young and Josh Woods
Dalton Castle and Joe Hendry
Jeff CObb and Dan Maff
Rush & Dragon Lee
Haskins and T. WIlliams (For now)

To a lesser extent:

SOS
PJ Black and The Mecha
SSS

Most likely:
The Kingdom will reform
Those are all singles wrestlers in tag teams. I've talked about it on the pod, and stand by it across all promotions I do not like or count established singles acts tagging up as anything more than place holders. Omega and Page for example was done to further a story. Same went for Lethal and Gresham but the story was Lethal bending the knee to Gresham's ways, basically the polar opposite of the AEW story. It still feels like there's a lot of singles guys in a tag because booking made them meaningless. PCO and Brody could have developed into a great team, hiding PCO's weaknesses but they put the belt on him :roll: Point being yes they have a lot of tag teams but those teams mean a lot less than even WWE's tag division because they have been thrown together or they're singles programs aren't priorities. RUSH is the champ right now, he's not a tag wrestler too. Putting Taven back with TK tells me all I need to know about how dumb the Garden booking was. Remember the ROH history is cycles. There's usually a period where they seem like they have a zillion important teams and then a period where there's the Briscoes and everyone else. Feels like the latter now.
Captain Podcast
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

famicommander wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:11 pm Without the Young Bucks "feud" they'd just be another faceless, unremarkable tag team
Forget the acclaimed gems and classics with American Alpha, DIY, and reDRagon. Forget their main roster peaks with New Day, Gable & Roode, and Ziggler & McIntyre. Forget that every time they were given at least 10 minutes of bell-to-bell action, they got over with the live crowd.

They got the best matches of Cass & Enzo's careers, carrying them to very palatable ***1/2 level surprises not just on Takeover, but on a main roster PPV-ish event during WrestleMania season. They made Enzo & Cass look like they'd have bright futures with numerous championship reigns. (In those matches, they also showed they could believably work as bullies against someone undersized and as ruthlessly intelligent motherfuckers against those much larger.)

To think they wouldn't thrive and bring something different to the very stacked and talented but often psychologically undisciplined AEW tag division is indicative of an extremely poor mind for the business. I also anticipate they will end up with a mouthpiece and since Cornette is off-limits, perhaps Arn and/or Tully will suffice; in fact, Tully kicking Spears to the curb and going with them instead would be a natural progression in his pursuit of leading someone to tag gold.
JigsawVs.Jason

Post by JigsawVs.Jason »

famicommander wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:55 am The Revival is ridiculously overrated.
100% agree, never seen such an overrated Tag Team since Edge & Christian. The Revival are charisma vacuums and ooze irrelevance.
And yes, the tag team division was pretty much dead last year, but whoever has seen the shows this year thus far cannot deny the fact that they have found a way to make it not only relevant but the highlight of almost every show.
"If anyone complains about how today's pro wrestling isn't as good as the past and isn't watching New Japan, their opinions have no validity." ~ Dave Meltzer
Montana

Post by Montana »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:58 pm
Montana wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:58 pm
Those are all singles wrestlers in tag teams. I've talked about it on the pod, and stand by it across all promotions I do not like or count established singles acts tagging up as anything more than place holders. Omega and Page for example was done to further a story. Same went for Lethal and Gresham but the story was Lethal bending the knee to Gresham's ways, basically the polar opposite of the AEW story. It still feels like there's a lot of singles guys in a tag because booking made them meaningless. PCO and Brody could have developed into a great team, hiding PCO's weaknesses but they put the belt on him :roll: Point being yes they have a lot of tag teams but those teams mean a lot less than even WWE's tag division because they have been thrown together or they're singles programs aren't priorities. RUSH is the champ right now, he's not a tag wrestler too. Putting Taven back with TK tells me all I need to know about how dumb the Garden booking was. Remember the ROH history is cycles. There's usually a period where they seem like they have a zillion important teams and then a period where there's the Briscoes and everyone else. Feels like the latter now.
I think it all comes down to business and booking. Theoretically speaking, a singles wrestler would get paid more, and is more valuable to the product, than a tag team. Why does WWE mostly have a irrelevant tag division for so long?? They don't even try with their tag division. Does this strategy, help the product.... I'd argue no. From a business perspective, i'm sure they have their reasons.

FOr ROH, it's not like they have an unlimited budget. Say their roster is 40 people.... You could have a division of 20 singles and 10 tag teams (barring any injuries) OR 40 singles wrestlers, and 20 tag teams?? Gives the bookers and the fans a ton more fresh matchups. That's now 40 people that can sell merchandise, make a name for themselves, and potentially become a bigger star. From a booking standpoint.... we'll use Dalton Castle... his singles run kinda stalled out, and now they are able to use him in a tag team, help get Joe Hendry over, and can still go solo, and help get other wrestlers over, while being in a tag. Same with Jay Lethal and Jonathan Gresham. They are great as a tag team, working together, helps keep Jay relevant, and elevates Gresham. Maybe i'm looking at ROH with rose colored glasses, but for the most part, i think they do VERY WELL at utilizing a wrestler as a singles wrestler and tag. I'm completely fine with say less "regular" tag teams, assuming everything makes sense. Plus it gives wrestlers a "lighter" night, in ROH; given their weekend schedule.

Now for AEW, and Hangman and Omega, that felt like it wasn't needed. It felt like they needed something relevant for Page and Omega to do, so they put the tag belts on them... Meanwhile, teams like Lucha Bros deserve the belts.... teams like LAX/ Pride and Powerful need a bigger role, Hybrid 2 aren't even on the show. So in the AEW situation, i question the Page/Omega team idea, at the expense of the other teams, BUT i will say, at least Page and Omega are part of the Elite.

Now, if money is no object, than sure... Some of my favorite tag memories were teams like LOD, Hart Foundation, Demolition, Natural Distasters, MOney Inc, Headshrinkers, Rockers, Stieners, Quebeckers, etc etc, ... Fast forward to ROH, wtih Briscoes, Bucks, Red Dragon, American Wolves... i'm sure there is more. Keep in mind, most of these teams were formed from two singles wrestlers (other than the brother pairings).

On top of that, i think MOST wrestlers would prefer to be singles, instead of a full time tag wrestler. How many full time tag teams has WWE ever signed??

Not saying your wrong... just theres a method behind the madness. Truthfully, i hope AEW can prove this theory wrong, and go stick with the more traditional tag teams. They've got a robust division to do so.
AnHonorableMention

Montana wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:58 pm I think it all comes down to business and booking. Theoretically speaking, a singles wrestler would get paid more, and is more valuable to the product, than a tag team. Why does WWE mostly have a irrelevant tag division for so long?? They don't even try with their tag division. Does this strategy, help the product.... I'd argue no. From a business perspective, i'm sure they have their reasons.
Vince McMahon doesn't like tag team wrestling. That's been common knowledge for a while and thus you see the emphasis or lack thereof on tag teams being inconsistent and based on who is on the roster at the time. He's hot and cold on it. Same goes for Bruce Prichard and HHH, as mentioned by Bruce on his podcast. Tag team wrestling has a place in promotions where it's valued appropriately. AEW seems to be one of the only places to view things that way.
Montana wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:58 pmFOr ROH, it's not like they have an unlimited budget. Say their roster is 40 people.... You could have a division of 20 singles and 10 tag teams (barring any injuries) OR 40 singles wrestlers, and 20 tag teams?? Gives the bookers and the fans a ton more fresh matchups. That's now 40 people that can sell merchandise, make a name for themselves, and potentially become a bigger star. From a booking standpoint.... we'll use Dalton Castle... his singles run kinda stalled out, and now they are able to use him in a tag team, help get Joe Hendry over, and can still go solo, and help get other wrestlers over, while being in a tag. Same with Jay Lethal and Jonathan Gresham. They are great as a tag team, working together, helps keep Jay relevant, and elevates Gresham. Maybe i'm looking at ROH with rose colored glasses, but for the most part, i think they do VERY WELL at utilizing a wrestler as a singles wrestler and tag. I'm completely fine with say less "regular" tag teams, assuming everything makes sense. Plus it gives wrestlers a "lighter" night, in ROH; given their weekend schedule.
So let's say you're running on a budget, this is where factions work. ROH has two big ones but those factions have no established tag teams they do however have established top tier singles guys. VE and LIF, all have top guys in their group. Which limits what they can do tag wise. Six man tag titles are key here as that's something that could be emphasized once things start back up and you can dial back on the tag titles.
Montana wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:58 pmNow for AEW, and Hangman and Omega, that felt like it wasn't needed. It felt like they needed something relevant for Page and Omega to do, so they put the tag belts on them... Meanwhile, teams like Lucha Bros deserve the belts.... teams like LAX/ Pride and Powerful need a bigger role, Hybrid 2 aren't even on the show. So in the AEW situation, i question the Page/Omega team idea, at the expense of the other teams, BUT i will say, at least Page and Omega are part of the Elite.
Omega and Page was desperately needed for that team to mean something, they needed the belts. It's telling a long story of which one is going to turn OR will they the Elite unite in full before Blood N Guts. Nobody deserves belts, they have to earn them. P&P are the top heel team and in Jericho's group. They're also on a travel restriction so they can't do anything right now, same for the Lucha Bros who are stuck in Mexico. Jack and Angelico same deal. Remember you don't want to blow your load by making everyone tag champs immediately or you end up with Charlotte Flair who has something like 10 title runs in 5 years. It's too much too soon.

Montana wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:58 pmNow, if money is no object, than sure... Some of my favorite tag memories were teams like LOD, Hart Foundation, Demolition, Natural Distasters, MOney Inc, Headshrinkers, Rockers, Stieners, Quebeckers, etc etc, ... Fast forward to ROH, wtih Briscoes, Bucks, Red Dragon, American Wolves... i'm sure there is more. Keep in mind, most of these teams were formed from two singles wrestlers (other than the brother pairings).

So looking at that, Shawn & Marty were put together to be a tag before either had established singles careers, same with LOD, the Harts, & Quebecers. Money Inc made sense as a way to keep DiBiase going while his body was failing him. Red Dragon was the perfect pairing too based off the Davey fall out and Wolves going away. Plus Bobby had not found a spot and this gave him one. These teams stayed together long term before splitting. They didn't end up in 4 corner singles matches for title shots while still going in the tag division.
Montana wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:58 pmOn top of that, i think MOST wrestlers would prefer to be singles, instead of a full time tag wrestler. How many full time tag teams has WWE ever signed??
Not a lot of full time signings for sure, but it's not a company that truthfully cares about tag wrestling like AEW and ROH did when Pearce and Gabe were bookers.
Montana wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:58 pmNot saying your wrong... just theres a method behind the madness. Truthfully, i hope AEW can prove this theory wrong, and go stick with the more traditional tag teams. They've got a robust division to do so.
For sure, a great tag match to me is far more preferable than a great singles match. I like seeing how 4 guys can weave in and out flawlessly as we saw during Page/Omega vs. the Bucks or the Nastys/Steiners which I view as two of the best US tag matches of the last 30 years. It's an art form and it's not preferable for everyone. My tastes vary from most fans. But I will say, a great tag team match is unbeatable in my eyes.
Captain Podcast
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

I love how Rey Horus is now "Some masked dude"....this board is hilarious.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

Shanahan wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:33 pm I love how Rey Horus is now "Some masked dude"....this board is hilarious.
To be fair, if you didn't watch Lucha Underground and mostly indies in Mexico then you probably know nothing about Rey Horus. This has been his biggest year for notoriety with his signing with ROH and starting up with AAA.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

kovs27 wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:37 pm
Shanahan wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:33 pm I love how Rey Horus is now "Some masked dude"....this board is hilarious.
To be fair, if you didn't watch Lucha Underground and mostly indies in Mexico then you probably know nothing about Rey Horus. This has been his biggest year for notoriety with his signing with ROH and starting up with AAA.
He appeared sporadically for MLW from 2018-2020 also. So between Lucha Underground and MLW he was on TV for the majority of a four year span.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

famicommander wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:13 pm
kovs27 wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:37 pm
He appeared sporadically for MLW from 2018-2020 also. So between Lucha Underground and MLW he was on TV for the majority of a four year span.
True. I forgot he was on MLW. That's still a low level of exposure.