ALL PURPOSE NEW TALENT/SPECIAL ATTRACTION THREAD

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Lynx

Re: ALL PURPOSE NEW TALENT/SPECIAL ATTRACTION THREAD

Post by Lynx »

PCO/Hardy might be even worse than PCO/Aldis.
jhtrewin

Post by jhtrewin »

No interest in PCO/Hardy at all.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

The match itself isn't that important, it's Hardy coming back to ROH that would be the news.

I think Broken Matt still has a lot to give.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

They need some house hold names on the roster and he can contribute creatively
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

matt hardy is still in wwe so...relax.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

His deal expires in 2 weeks.

I would imagine he either goes to AEW or ROH.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

I have no problems with Matt Hardy, I just don’t want to see him come in and hold belts. Whether it’s ROH or NWA.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

I'm totally cool with Hardy winning a tag or trios belt. Maybe even the TV title if his character catches fire again. Definitely not the World or Pure titles, though.
AnHonorableMention

Post by AnHonorableMention »

famicommander wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:45 pm I'm totally cool with Hardy winning a tag or trios belt. Maybe even the TV title if his character catches fire again. Definitely not the World or Pure titles, though.
You’re good with this guy being in a pushed position but hate on the guys at NWA? I don’t get it. Matt can barely move, his body is literally broken. Transitioning out of the ring is imperative.
Captain Podcast
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:17 pm
famicommander wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:45 pm I'm totally cool with Hardy winning a tag or trios belt. Maybe even the TV title if his character catches fire again. Definitely not the World or Pure titles, though.
You’re good with this guy being in a pushed position but hate on the guys at NWA? I don’t get it. Matt can barely move, his body is literally broken. Transitioning out of the ring is imperative.
Matt is in his mid 40s, not his 60s. He moves a little awkwardly but he still pulls off most of his offense, he still bumps okay. I think of him the same way as I do PCO: I'm fine with him on the midcard or tag division. I'm fine with his character work. I just don't want these dudes in singles matches on the biggest show in ROH history.

Matt's also a legitimate star who actually brings substantial, positive attention with him. Broken Matt was one of the hottest acts in wrestling before they went back to WWE. If there's any chance at all that can be rekindled it's worth a shot.

As opposed to freaking 55 year olds nobody ever heard of when they were 35 like Tim Storm? Or guys who were Matt Hardy's age 20 years ago? Or Steiner, who looks like a stretch armstrong that all the fluid leaked out of? Yeah, I'll take Hardy.
jhtrewin

Post by jhtrewin »

I'd be on board with a tag or trio reign of some kind (if he can reignite his character), but I feel like he might be past any type of single reign.

I think at this stage of Hardy's career his real value is what he can do behind the scenes to help other talent.

At the end of the day though I think the likely hood of him making ROH is home is very very small, I'd put my money on him going to AEW.
Montana

Post by Montana »

If anything.... i think it would be like a one shot/weekend type of deal for Matt Hardy. I assume he's likely headed to AEW/Impact. I'm fine with a weekend match with PCO.

For those of you that think PCO is old/moves awkwardly... remember the dude is blind in one eye. Pulls off some incredible stuff, all things considered.

I will say if ROH is serious about trying to get a live weekly show going, they willl need more recognizable talent like Matt Hardy.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Montana wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:43 am
I will say if ROH is serious about trying to get a live weekly show going, they willl need more recognizable talent like Matt Hardy.
Why, what’s the point, you are just inflating numbers that aren’t viable. You just stick to your roster you have and simply produce TV people want to tune in for, which then helps house shows and PPV’s. If the product is decent enough people will watch regardless of Hardy or not. It’s that mentality that Sinclair thought was a good idea in the first place and it wasn’t good idea then and certainly isn’t now.

Personally if I was ever to bring Hardy back it would be to team with Taven to take of Vinny etc. Who else you would on your side that someone that isn’t killable.

Much like most of PCO’s singles I have no really desire to see, but just like Aldis I’m sure Hardy could get something decent out of the match. If ROH is ever to move PCO loosing the title is key really.
Montana

Post by Montana »

BurningHammer wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:37 am
Why, what’s the point, you are just inflating numbers that aren’t viable. You just stick to your roster you have and simply produce TV people want to tune in for, which then helps house shows and PPV’s. If the product is decent enough people will watch regardless of Hardy or not. It’s that mentality that Sinclair thought was a good idea in the first place and it wasn’t good idea then and certainly isn’t now.

Personally if I was ever to bring Hardy back it would be to team with Taven to take of Vinny etc. Who else you would on your side that someone that isn’t killable.

Much like most of PCO’s singles I have no really desire to see, but just like Aldis I’m sure Hardy could get something decent out of the match. If ROH is ever to move PCO loosing the title is key really.
The point would be (Assuming ROH is producing a live weekly show) .... to get more fans than what you currently have. The current roster, gets the current fans to tune in. Your right, ideally getting your own talent over, and good storylines, get people to stay, but if i was running a company the goal would be to get all much exposure and new fans as possible. Thus, forced to get people like a Matt Hardy. At the end of the day, it may not even matter, BC i don't if ROH plans or even wants a weekly live show. I think if they stay the course with HonorClub, Matt Hardy isn't probably worth it. But say they get a Live show on a semi- recognizable network, I'd say Hardy would be a pretty good addition.

That's why AEW needed to get Jericho and Moxley. Even then, their ratings really haven't improved... with monthly of MAJOR advertising.
AnHonorableMention

Post by AnHonorableMention »

famicommander wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:40 pm
Matt is in his mid 40s, not his 60s. He moves a little awkwardly but he still pulls off most of his offense, he still bumps okay. I think of him the same way as I do PCO: I'm fine with him on the midcard or tag division. I'm fine with his character work. I just don't want these dudes in singles matches on the biggest show in ROH history.

Matt's also a legitimate star who actually brings substantial, positive attention with him. Broken Matt was one of the hottest acts in wrestling before they went back to WWE. If there's any chance at all that can be rekindled it's worth a shot.

As opposed to freaking 55 year olds nobody ever heard of when they were 35 like Tim Storm? Or guys who were Matt Hardy's age 20 years ago? Or Steiner, who looks like a stretch armstrong that all the fluid leaked out of? Yeah, I'll take Hardy.
I apologize I should have been more specific, but was referring to the Aldis, Starks, etc. not the nostalgia guys. My bad dude.
Captain Podcast
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:33 pm

I apologize I should have been more specific, but was referring to the Aldis, Starks, etc. not the nostalgia guys. My bad dude.
I just don't think those guys are good now, were ever good, or are popular enough to bother with. The best case scenario is they come in and deliver an okay match. I don't believe anybody who doesn't already know Ring of Honor is following NWA guys to ROH, and I don't believe they offer anything in the ring that ROH doesn't already have in-house. So it's pointless.

If you think Matt is too old to be worthwhile in the ring I understand, but at least he was great in his day and he brings eyeballs with him wherever he goes.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Montana wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:05 pm
BurningHammer wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:37 am

The point would be (Assuming ROH is producing a live weekly show) .... to get more fans than what you currently have. The current roster, gets the current fans to tune in. Your right, ideally getting your own talent over, and good storylines, get people to stay, but if i was running a company the goal would be to get all much exposure and new fans as possible. Thus, forced to get people like a Matt Hardy. At the end of the day, it may not even matter, BC i don't if ROH plans or even wants a weekly live show. I think if they stay the course with HonorClub, Matt Hardy isn't probably worth it. But say they get a Live show on a semi- recognizable network, I'd say Hardy would be a pretty good addition.

That's why AEW needed to get Jericho and Moxley. Even then, their ratings really haven't improved... with monthly of MAJOR advertising.
Just my opinion but I think there is a chasm between the level of star Jericho is and the level Matt Hardy is at, he should in no way be seen as what ROH should be looking for as the draw they would need to reach those big levels. I realise he could bring a certain number of people to shows or to the TV product, but it will be limited and isn't going to be for the long term considering his age etc. If he is up for creative position primarily I have no problem with that, he brings a wealth of experience, understanding and seemingly a unique view of wrestling and what can work at many different levels.

ROH needs to find what it wants to be, it needs to find the talent and creative essence through out it's entire product, for a few years now it's felt like this and that without having a central motif so to speak of what it wants to deliver or maybe it did and just couldn't or fans didn't want to except it. Now with the certain signings ROH has been making we are starting to get a clearer idea of what ROH is going to be about (I hope), which looks to gelling the old ROH with what they want ROH to be about now, this is obviously going to take time but with effort it should get there. It's just unfortunate likes of MLW have a done a much better job of defining what they are about very quickly and gained the audience because of it.

I think right now for ROH it would be to just get a regular time slot and to just produce a TV product worth watching, I don't think it has to be live at all. It just needs to viewable from all avenues possible at a certain time and day of the week. I just don't think it has the roster to do a live show yet, considering it's still working itself out and forming to be competitive. I could be very wrong and ROH is really getting itself together and adding people to the right areas that they need to make it possible to do a live show every week, it just takes a lot of work to do that and especially getting it right. Look at AEW they've brought in a ton of people to create an infrastructure to be able to a live show and there are still growing pains etc and that's even with a lot of people who have worked on national TV for years or with ROH/Impact for multiple years.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Observer:
ROH is working on getting Doug Williams a US Visa to work regularly with the company.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

monster mafia wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:54 am Observer:
ROH is working on getting Doug Williams a US Visa to work regularly with the company.
They should have him squash Aldis for holding him back in TNA.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

famicommander wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:28 pm
AnHonorableMention wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:33 pm

I just don't think those guys are good now, were ever good, or are popular enough to bother with. The best case scenario is they come in and deliver an okay match. I don't believe anybody who doesn't already know Ring of Honor is following NWA guys to ROH, and I don't believe they offer anything in the ring that ROH doesn't already have in-house. So it's pointless.

If you think Matt is too old to be worthwhile in the ring I understand, but at least he was great in his day and he brings eyeballs with him wherever he goes.
THIS.