ALL PURPOSE NEW TALENT/SPECIAL ATTRACTION THREAD

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
AnHonorableMention

Re: ALL PURPOSE NEW TALENT/SPECIAL ATTRACTION THREAD

Post by AnHonorableMention »

BurningHammer wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:15 am
AnHonorableMention wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:03 pm
I honestly don't know Jerry or if he's got a family or what his deal is. He's an asset and would be a wonderful addition.
He had a family and a full time job outside of wrestling, but he has most weekends full with wrestling related fields, like being a ref etc. I agree for sure

Really glad Jerry got the family and post wrestling career. He's very fortunate in that regard.
AnHonorableMention wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:26 pm It was Brandi. The person was in fact an SBG employee at that time. Once the incident was reported, it was handled from what I've been told. Cody has been described by some as a wolf in sheep's clothing by a few people. I think the world of him, Brandi too. Genuine and kind people.

Do I think Koff would still do that kind of thing? Absolutely. He's a dense old school businessman, with a teflon gig. I do think he has an emotional connection now that wasn't there early on but it's not as connected as it would be if he was the owner and it was his money in play.

SBG's politics for me are very hard for me to separate just based on how strongly i feel about the issues. I firmly believe everyone has a right to their beliefs as long as those beliefs don't infringe on others. The idea of a ruling class bothers me and the treatment of free speech and journalism is among the most offended I've ever been. Full disclosure I don't pay for ROH events (I get comped by talent, so I'm not paying for anything. I don't have Honor Club, I have someone else's account, and I'm only going to MSG because of my respect and appreciation for Cary Silkin and the talent).

You are right on the AEW thing, there's been so much perfect storm that I can't imagine it's going to work out. A friend of mine who is a very, VERY casual fan of indies asked about AEW and I told him it will end up being 50% of what's been 100% discussed, which means it will be a success. They need a paying TV deal confirmed before I'll believe one word of it.[/b]
I would never expect it to be like Carry, it's a totally different situation, he is having to run a business under the watchfull eye of SBG, that is always going to need a different midset. What I would expect though is someone is injured there is attention and care, if an employee is going through a difficult time there is support if needed.

If it's been delt with that's great, to me leaving it alone, (which they easily could have done) would be more of an issue and point towards certain mind set within ROH SBG is a totally different matter. Considering todays world I don't think ROH can have such a mentality drive itself internally, wrestlers have way more of voice now and options to leave, if they see a problem they can make it known. It will be interesting to see how ROH will move forward in this environment.

Strong ideals and beliefs are never negative, if you can't seperate the two that's obviously not a bad thing in the slightest. I have found it difficult in areas of my life to live without compramise because of what certain companies stand for, or how they act behind closed doors. Over the years I looked into mostly every company I have bought fromand try and trace there history to see where it ends, and normally I am never happy with the result, but I maybe super happy with the product, sometimes I stop buying completely, sometimes I just stick with it, because in the end it just makes life more difficult than it should be. I just don't believe, untill ROH defines itself by SBG politics, it should painted with the same brush.

I always believe in everything I watch I should be enjoying, and ROH for me, is still the one of the most consistent easily watchable products there is. It has good depth in many areas of it's story telling (although that can be better and less repitive) and the wrestling as a whole is still of the highest quality for the most. There areas that need to be massively improved upon, but I enjoy it and in a world where enjoyment seems like a past time to people and poking holes and finding the negative is a full time job and Im going to stick with what I enjoy.

I think the first two paragraphs are really important here. If a talent were to deal with depression or high anxiety as has been the case in the NBA recently will they allow the talent to step away to deal with it? Based on their politics and belief system, I'd say no. But I'm hopeful nobody has to deal with that ever because it's a miserable struggle. I know Cary allowed guys to go away for a bit when they had demons because he understood that life. I don't know if a privileged ownership does.
Captain Podcast
AnHonorableMention

BurningHammer wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:20 am
AnHonorableMention wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:04 pm
BurningHammer wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:49 pm I think people need to have a look deeper into all promotions, it isn't just Sinclair with a darker background, MLW might seem like the shinning light but Bien Sports owners certainly aren't squeeky clean and maybe even more so considering their influence.

Edit I should have the owners of Bien sports sorry, they are owned by the state/country of Qatar
Yeah that's concerning. I don't get the channel on Direct TV so I can't say anything one way or another.
It isn't a politcal driven channel by any sorts, their state television and news reporting is another matter (think SBG on much bigger and general stronger scale (from what I've read about anyway)

Bien Sports darker issues are more how it operates within other sports, especially european Football (soccer), it's more about their levels of control and where it's money is going than it is furthing their political nature. Also the background of a lot of it's sports anchors (agan more football related isn't particuerly great)

We talking american football or european football here? Sinclair is very regional for instance we have no stations here yet their demographic of conservatives thrives in this area. They have stations in places like South Florida where pretty much nobody south of Ft. Lauderdale is conservative. It's very odd placement.
Captain Podcast
AnHonorableMention

famicommander wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:38 am Less than 57% of the voting age populated even voted, and less than half of them voted for Trump. So it's not close to 50% that supports the Sinclair/Trumpster agenda.
MVP.
Captain Podcast
AnHonorableMention

BurningHammer wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:15 am
Memphis Mark wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:27 am Sinclair broadcasting is a very polarizing company . However it should be noted that around 50 % of the adult population in the U.S.A. agrees with the SBGI point of view . The proof is in the election results.

All that said this is a forum about ROH wrestling , not politics . One does not have to agree with the progressive narrative to be a wrestling fan . I wish the posts on this forum would just stick to wrestling . Just watch MSNBC or CNN if you want to hear people be negative about the Republicans . SBGI reflects the views of the their stockholders and target audience. They have that right under the US Constitution . If you don't agree with SBGI , just don't do business with them.

More wrestling , less politics would be great .
I think in this instance it's important to talk about as it can affect the product and the general appreciation of ROH.

Not only that, at the end of the day we're all equal people with equal rights (in theory, at least) so we should respect those who have viewpoints contrary to ours while hearing them out and maybe finding relatable ways to agree!
Captain Podcast
christopherclinton55

Post by christopherclinton55 »

I am not sure if he would take it but I would love to see Alex Shelley as a agent or A trainer for roh dojo.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

Memphis Mark wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:27 am Sinclair broadcasting is a very polarizing company . However it should be noted that around 50 % of the adult population in the U.S.A. agrees with the SBGI point of view . The proof is in the election results.

All that said this is a forum about ROH wrestling , not politics . One does not have to agree with the progressive narrative to be a wrestling fan . I wish the posts on this forum would just stick to wrestling . Just watch MSNBC or CNN if you want to hear people be negative about the Republicans . SBGI reflects the views of the their stockholders and target audience. They have that right under the US Constitution . If you don't agree with SBGI , just don't do business with them.

I think in this instance it's important to talk about as it can affect the product and the general appreciation of ROH.
But has it affected the product? I don't think we've seen any evidence of that, or any indication that it might? I don't think Sinclair is going to turn into the Age of the Fall and use the outlet of a professional wrestling company to preach their political views.
AnHonorableMention

christopherclinton55 wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:32 pm I am not sure if he would take it but I would love to see Alex Shelley as a agent or A trainer for roh dojo.
I am actually going to ask about this, attempting to get Alex to join the show in early 2019.
Captain Podcast
AnHonorableMention

Big Red Machine wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:11 pm

But has it affected the product? I don't think we've seen any evidence of that, or any indication that it might? I don't think Sinclair is going to turn into the Age of the Fall and use the outlet of a professional wrestling company to preach their political views.
Agreed, but the outside perspective is oh this is a cool wrestling company but they are owned by SBG, and outside ventures like TV networks, sponsors and the like not wanting to dip their toe in on a company despite being part of the ROH bubble.
Captain Podcast
Zhuge1

Post by Zhuge1 »

christopherclinton55 wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:32 pm I am not sure if he would take it but I would love to see Alex Shelley as a agent or A trainer for roh dojo.
I could also see him being a good "matchmaker" (the role that Nigel McGuinness used to have).
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Big Red Machine wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:11 pm

I think it's affected the product in some instances such as fans aren't watching because of Sinclair, I understand it to a point but then the money you spend on ROH is going to Sinclair it's going into ROH because it has too. A previous mentality that people thought they could get away with, especially with treating wrestlers but that's changed from what I've heard. I found ROH under Jim Cornette's southern idea of wrestling to be rather bitting on the edge of what Sinclair might have wanted full time, there are certain wrestling charachters like Flip Gordon and his army background and very pro american stance that fits in with the Sinclair mindset, but I think it can fit into both sides so it isn't in anyway a negative in my eyes, (it can be to others though).

I think in general ROH is in it's own little bubble within Sinclair, and it shouldn't be classed within Sinclairs attitude towards the world. I hope that doesn't change.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:34 am

Not only that, at the end of the day we're all equal people with equal rights (in theory, at least) so we should respect those who have viewpoints contrary to ours while hearing them out and maybe finding relatable ways to agree!
There viewpoints that I will never respect and personally should be nowhere near life but if someone wants a sensible and intelligent debate about an issue I always be happy to engage. Wrestling though shouldn't have to worry about any of this which is the sad thing, it should be for everyone to enjoy themselves as long as people and promotions don't cross the line it can be a good thing for all.
AnHonorableMention

BurningHammer wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:36 am
AnHonorableMention wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:34 am

There viewpoints that I will never respect and personally should be nowhere near life but if someone wants a sensible and intelligent debate about an issue I always be happy to engage. Wrestling though shouldn't have to worry about any of this which is the sad thing, it should be for everyone to enjoy themselves as long as people and promotions don't cross the line it can be a good thing for all.

I’m kind of an outlier in the whole things are black and white. Even if there is a topic I can’t ever agree with I find myself curious as to the psychology behind that insane thought process to find logic in the absurd. Usually there is none but I’ll at least keep my mind open enough to think man something must have gone wrong to lead that person down this path.

Wrestling is somewhat similar. For example, death matches. I find them disgusting and more often than not just bad. I don’t like blood and I don’t like dangerous levels of violence.

However for patreon.com/anhonorablepod we looked at combat Toyota vs Megumi Kudo in an electrifying barbed wire explosion match. Not only was the psychology great but despite the violence they made the match work. Not saying I’d go watch it again but I at least gave it a shot and went in with an open mind.
Captain Podcast
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

Shane Taylor just signed new exclusive deal with Roh
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Shane Taylor posted the following on Twitter, announcing that he has come to terms on an exclusive contract with Ring of Honor. Taylor joins PCO, Brody King. Bandido, and Mark Haskins as new signings for 2019, while Silas Young also re-signed for 2019. ROH is also hoping to use their NJPW relationship to get regular dates on Will Ospreay, Zack Sabre Jr. and Juice Robinson in 2019.
Big Red Machine

Chrisvegas27 wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:03 am Shane Taylor just signed new exclusive deal with Roh
Yes. I'm sure this year of Shane Taylor wading around aimlessly will be MUCH better than the previous two. It's decisions like this that make me think that management is almost negligently blind to their own mistakes.
Brada

Post by Brada »

With the turnover currently , the time is NOW to sign "Dirty" Andy Dalton.

The fact that he isn't signed to a deal is criminal.

They should also go get ahead of the curve and grab Jaxon Stone now too.
rovert1

Post by rovert1 »

Big Red Machine wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:41 am
Chrisvegas27 wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:03 am Shane Taylor just signed new exclusive deal with Roh
Yes. I'm sure this year of Shane Taylor wading around aimlessly will be MUCH better than the previous two. It's decisions like this that make me think that management is almost negligently blind to their own mistakes.
I can see why you'd think that but talking to various people in the past while has indicated to me that Shane is very motived and reinvigorated to make 2019 count.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

rovert1 wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:23 pm
I can see why you'd think that but talking to various people in the past while has indicated to me that Shane is very motived and reinvigorated to make 2019 count.
After his match with Jeff Cobb, I would definitely say so. Easily my favorite Shane Taylor match. A prolonged feud with Cobb over the TV title would give him a nice bump.
Big Red Machine

rovert1 wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:23 pm
It's not Shane I'm worried about being the problem. I have enjoyed what I've seen of his recent tour of the UK. It's the guy who hasn't done anything with Shane despite having him under contract for two years that I don't have much faith in.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

If he has more direction this year it's a good move, hes improved alot especially the last few months and has had a breakout moment in England which is important for both ROH and Shane. Hopefully a strong feud with Jeff Cobb will cement his status in ROH.