ALL PURPOSE NEW TALENT/SPECIAL ATTRACTION THREAD

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Big Red Machine

Re: ALL PURPOSE NEW TALENT/SPECIAL ATTRACTION THREAD

Post by Big Red Machine »

It will be interesting to see how the Observer's coverage of ROH changes now that Dave's illegitimate children aren't there for everything to be booked around them.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Bandido, one of pro wrestling’s hottest free agents, has signed with Ring of Honor and will make his highly anticipated debut with The Best Wrestling on the Planet in January, ROH officials have announced.

The charismatic high-flyer will be in Atlanta on Jan 12 for an international television taping, and then in Concord, N.C., on Jan. 13 for Honor Reigns Supreme, which will stream live worldwide for HonorClub, in addition to all announced ROH events in the U.S.

https://www.rohwrestling.com/news/bandi ... nd-concord
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

they need to lock will ospreay again asap.
AnHonorableMention

Post by AnHonorableMention »

LJimmy wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:17 pm
BurningHammer wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:49 pm I think people need to have a look deeper into all promotions, it isn't just Sinclair with a darker background, MLW might seem like the shinning light but Bien Sports owners certainly aren't squeeky clean and maybe even more considering their influence.
This is what should definitely happen, but I wouldn't hold my breath. The wrestling media members who have the ability to make this happen are usually in cahoots with these non-WWE promotions. They'll only call out WWE for everything while ignoring all these negatives with booking, backstage issues and other controversies in other promotions. I doubt we'll see the Observer give the full story on what happened with Whitmer.
I'll bet different on Dave telling the story.
Captain Podcast
AnHonorableMention

Big Red Machine wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:48 am
kovs27 wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:43 pm
Big Red Machine wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:25 pm

Could you go into detail about what you mean by this?
I think this was a reference to Cedric knocking Bobby Fish out cold in a match and then following it up by stinking it up with Elgin in a world title match.
Personally I thought they should have put him in line for the tv title after that great feud with Roddy.
I guess I'm the only person that liked Cedric vs. Elgin, then (and no, I'm not confusing it with the match they had in March earlier that year. I liked both matches a lot).

I remember Cedric saying in a shoot interview that there were also issues when he gave Roddy a concussion but he noted that other people have given others concussions in the past and no big deal was made out of it. But either way, Cedric was definitely placed in several storylines that wound up as creative dead ends simply because Delirious really never seemed to have an end-game in mind for them, and Cedric said that he never really got any communication about things.
Obviously my thoughts on concussions aren't unknown. I've had 7. So if that's the case he should be a little concerned with that. But yeah Hunter's communication to talent is minimal. In fact there's one talent who recently started a new gimmick, and he's been told no direction or point to it. Pretty obvious who that is when you hear the Festivus episode.
Captain Podcast
AnHonorableMention

Big Red Machine wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:52 am It will be interesting to see how the Observer's coverage of ROH changes now that Dave's illegitimate children aren't there for everything to be booked around them.
Those guys were 3 of Dave's go to's but the outreach is far wider than just the Elite.
Captain Podcast
AnHonorableMention

BurningHammer wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:46 pm
AnHonorableMention wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:26 pmBJ recently began the timing duties, in an effort to improve them. Jerry Lynn would be a great addition considering he's the poster boy for the locker room, in a good way, everyone loves him, but I don't know if he wants back out on the road.
Yeah I don't know how much he would have to be away from his Family in Baltimore but I certainly think having them there would be a link to ROH's past, wrestling past generally and help a lot of new guys come in the right way.

Well at least they are looking to address the issue, hopefully someone can come in and rectify it because it needs sorting.

I honestly don't know Jerry or if he's got a family or what his deal is. He's an asset and would be a wonderful addition.
AnHonorableMention wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:26 pm The talent leaked it, not BJ Whitmer, let me make that very clear. It didn't change anyone's views of the current state of ROH. Cody Rhodes put it best when someone hit on his wife who worked for ROH/SBG, it's not a culture he wants to be part of. That's the type of acceptable behavior for sinclair who just fired a news anchor who had cancer because she couldn't work. I don't know if anyone will post the email or not. I won't, can't speak for everyone else but knowing others who got it with twitter burner accounts I wouldn't be shocked to see iit trickle out.

The issue is not that a corporation owns the company, it's that it's this corporation who doesn't believe in free speech or human rights owns it. It's how they've treated people including my podcast partner and other former ROH employees both in the Cary era and the current era. It's the constant excuses for people with responsibility.

Joe Koff is definitely clueless and haphazard in dealings with the media and sending emails to the wrong people including a list of who should be fired to the people who he wanted to fire when he bought the company. That email I have physically seen and the level of crude and carelessness handling people with families was disgusting. Having said that, Joe Koff in the few times I've talked to him and had conversations with him about current ROH he's listened, but has not acted on anything. He knows nothing of the company's history and doesn't not care what happened before SBG became the owners of ROH. Definitely not a racist, xenophobe, or a bigot, in fact Joe is a lot more liberal it appears than the company he works for. It's how he manufactures excuses for the company he works for that screen Trump to me, because that's who's behind the SBG corporation. Check out their history and local views on media. Thoroughly disgusting and part of the reason AEW is a thing now.
Just to clear something up, I thought that had been a freind of Cody's wife and not actually Brandy herself, or were they two different incidents. Also was it actually a ROH employee becase it sounded like said person had been invited into the locker from outside of ROH and acted innapropriately. Considering all of that i'm surprised Cody sent such good will and threw no shade when leaving because he hasn't been quiet when he's seen something wrong or didn't feel it should be happening. I would have thought Cody would have been the first one pointing the finger.

Do you think though that Koff would still send such an email, I don't think he is abouve it for sure, but do you feel he has an emotional connection now with his employee and said letter would be very different when letting someone go.

I realise Sinclairs relationship with ROH is a mine field to put it lightly but in all honesty I try and seperate the two as much as possible, and thankfully ROH treats itself as a seperate entity for the most. I have never seen a crude or disgusting advert through ROH's programing, for the last couple of years I have felt ROH has tried to forge a relationship with all creeds and colours again I maybe wrong but the locker room feels varied and tight. Also would you really expect Koff to portray Sinclairs politics in a bad light, if he did, it would just be asking for a firering and he isn't that stupid. Wrestling is too big and varied to ever have Sinclairs politcs thrust into the limelight fans have already asked for change or shone a light on previous stuff that could considered rather right wing in ROH. Jim cornette's time really showed that to me.

I do think the AEW have been very clever in how careful they have been with their marketing on that side of things, personally I don't trust them because it's all too perfect.
It was Brandi. The person was in fact an SBG employee at that time. Once the incident was reported, it was handled from what I've been told. Cody has been described by some as a wolf in sheep's clothing by a few people. I think the world of him, Brandi too. Genuine and kind people.

Do I think Koff would still do that kind of thing? Absolutely. He's a dense old school businessman, with a teflon gig. I do think he has an emotional connection now that wasn't there early on but it's not as connected as it would be if he was the owner and it was his money in play.

SBG's politics for me are very hard for me to separate just based on how strongly i feel about the issues. I firmly believe everyone has a right to their beliefs as long as those beliefs don't infringe on others. The idea of a ruling class bothers me and the treatment of free speech and journalism is among the most offended I've ever been. Full disclosure I don't pay for ROH events (I get comped by talent, so I'm not paying for anything. I don't have Honor Club, I have someone else's account, and I'm only going to MSG because of my respect and appreciation for Cary Silkin and the talent).

You are right on the AEW thing, there's been so much perfect storm that I can't imagine it's going to work out. A friend of mine who is a very, VERY casual fan of indies asked about AEW and I told him it will end up being 50% of what's been 100% discussed, which means it will be a success. They need a paying TV deal confirmed before I'll believe one word of it.
Captain Podcast
AnHonorableMention

BurningHammer wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:49 pm I think people need to have a look deeper into all promotions, it isn't just Sinclair with a darker background, MLW might seem like the shinning light but Bien Sports owners certainly aren't squeeky clean and maybe even more so considering their influence.

Edit I should have the owners of Bien sports sorry, they are owned by the state/country of Qatar
Yeah that's concerning. I don't get the channel on Direct TV so I can't say anything one way or another.
Captain Podcast
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Jimmy jacobs is free or he is with impact wreslting?
AnHonorableMention

monster mafia wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:37 pm Jimmy jacobs is free or he is with impact wreslting?
Under contract as a writer for Impact. He'd be the guy I'd replace Delirious with.
Captain Podcast
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:23 pm
monster mafia wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:37 pm Jimmy jacobs is free or he is with impact wreslting?
Under contract as a writer for Impact. He'd be the guy I'd replace Delirious with.
This.
rovert1

Post by rovert1 »

Team Whitmer
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:03 pm
I honestly don't know Jerry or if he's got a family or what his deal is. He's an asset and would be a wonderful addition.
He had a family and a full time job outside of wrestling, but he has most weekends full with wrestling related fields, like being a ref etc. I agree for sure
AnHonorableMention wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:26 pm It was Brandi. The person was in fact an SBG employee at that time. Once the incident was reported, it was handled from what I've been told. Cody has been described by some as a wolf in sheep's clothing by a few people. I think the world of him, Brandi too. Genuine and kind people.

Do I think Koff would still do that kind of thing? Absolutely. He's a dense old school businessman, with a teflon gig. I do think he has an emotional connection now that wasn't there early on but it's not as connected as it would be if he was the owner and it was his money in play.

SBG's politics for me are very hard for me to separate just based on how strongly i feel about the issues. I firmly believe everyone has a right to their beliefs as long as those beliefs don't infringe on others. The idea of a ruling class bothers me and the treatment of free speech and journalism is among the most offended I've ever been. Full disclosure I don't pay for ROH events (I get comped by talent, so I'm not paying for anything. I don't have Honor Club, I have someone else's account, and I'm only going to MSG because of my respect and appreciation for Cary Silkin and the talent).

You are right on the AEW thing, there's been so much perfect storm that I can't imagine it's going to work out. A friend of mine who is a very, VERY casual fan of indies asked about AEW and I told him it will end up being 50% of what's been 100% discussed, which means it will be a success. They need a paying TV deal confirmed before I'll believe one word of it.[/b]
I would never expect it to be like Carry, it's a totally different situation, he is having to run a business under the watchfull eye of SBG, that is always going to need a different midset. What I would expect though is someone is injured there is attention and care, if an employee is going through a difficult time there is support if needed.

If it's been delt with that's great, to me leaving it alone, (which they easily could have done) would be more of an issue and point towards certain mind set within ROH SBG is a totally different matter. Considering todays world I don't think ROH can have such a mentality drive itself internally, wrestlers have way more of voice now and options to leave, if they see a problem they can make it known. It will be interesting to see how ROH will move forward in this environment.

Strong ideals and beliefs are never negative, if you can't seperate the two that's obviously not a bad thing in the slightest. I have found it difficult in areas of my life to live without compramise because of what certain companies stand for, or how they act behind closed doors. Over the years I looked into mostly every company I have bought fromand try and trace there history to see where it ends, and normally I am never happy with the result, but I maybe super happy with the product, sometimes I stop buying completely, sometimes I just stick with it, because in the end it just makes life more difficult than it should be. I just don't believe, untill ROH defines itself by SBG politics, it should painted with the same brush.

I always believe in everything I watch I should be enjoying, and ROH for me, is still the one of the most consistent easily watchable products there is. It has good depth in many areas of it's story telling (although that can be better and less repitive) and the wrestling as a whole is still of the highest quality for the most. There areas that need to be massively improved upon, but I enjoy it and in a world where enjoyment seems like a past time to people and poking holes and finding the negative is a full time job and Im going to stick with what I enjoy.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:04 pm
BurningHammer wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:49 pm I think people need to have a look deeper into all promotions, it isn't just Sinclair with a darker background, MLW might seem like the shinning light but Bien Sports owners certainly aren't squeeky clean and maybe even more so considering their influence.

Edit I should have the owners of Bien sports sorry, they are owned by the state/country of Qatar
Yeah that's concerning. I don't get the channel on Direct TV so I can't say anything one way or another.
It isn't a politcal driven channel by any sorts, their state television and news reporting is another matter (think SBG on much bigger and general stronger scale (from what I've read about anyway)

Bien Sports darker issues are more how it operates within other sports, especially european Football (soccer), it's more about their levels of control and where it's money is going than it is furthing their political nature. Also the background of a lot of it's sports anchors (agan more football related isn't particuerly great)
Memphis Mark

Post by Memphis Mark »

Sinclair broadcasting is a very polarizing company . However it should be noted that around 50 % of the adult population in the U.S.A. agrees with the SBGI point of view . The proof is in the election results.

All that said this is a forum about ROH wrestling , not politics . One does not have to agree with the progressive narrative to be a wrestling fan . I wish the posts on this forum would just stick to wrestling . Just watch MSNBC or CNN if you want to hear people be negative about the Republicans . SBGI reflects the views of the their stockholders and target audience. They have that right under the US Constitution . If you don't agree with SBGI , just don't do business with them.

More wrestling , less politics would be great .
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Less than 57% of the voting age populated even voted, and less than half of them voted for Trump. So it's not close to 50% that supports the Sinclair/Trumpster agenda.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Memphis Mark wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:27 am Sinclair broadcasting is a very polarizing company . However it should be noted that around 50 % of the adult population in the U.S.A. agrees with the SBGI point of view . The proof is in the election results.

All that said this is a forum about ROH wrestling , not politics . One does not have to agree with the progressive narrative to be a wrestling fan . I wish the posts on this forum would just stick to wrestling . Just watch MSNBC or CNN if you want to hear people be negative about the Republicans . SBGI reflects the views of the their stockholders and target audience. They have that right under the US Constitution . If you don't agree with SBGI , just don't do business with them.

More wrestling , less politics would be great .
I think in this instance it's important to talk about as it can affect the product and the general appreciation of ROH.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

Hell, you don't even have to watch ROH on SBG stations, you can watch it on Fite.
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

I like how the "Honorable Mention" account originally came here to plug a podcast and is now "leaking" all this "insider info" as though Hagadorn has worked there the past three years.
AnHonorableMention

The Dragon Saga wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:48 am I like how the "Honorable Mention" account originally came here to plug a podcast and is now "leaking" all this "insider info" as though Hagadorn has worked there the past three years.
Not Hagadorn, I do all the message board posting, unless there is an ~SH next to it. - Jeff

EDIT: For the record both of us are still close with a lot of people on the roster. More so me than Shane.
Captain Podcast